Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah and no one should model Japan on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Don't they try and get ahead of schedule I can't imagine trying to do some of the spreads they can do every week of the year not counting holidays. I mean if you look at One Punch Man redrawn by Murata it's insane. :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1HX5OE4kk

Schneider Heim posted:

But hey, at least no one's turning anyone's character into a Nazi without their consent!

You don't know Goku's dark secret...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 29, 2017

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Tbf that's the same in all Japanese industries.

But hey, at least no one's turning anyone's character into a Nazi without their consent!

Turning people into Nazis against their will is pretty much the basis for a bunch of Kamen Rider stuff.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

X-O posted:

As is his Old Man Logan. The one criticism on him when he came to Marvel was that he couldn't write team books. And his team book was indeed the one that flopped. His Hawkeye, Old Man Logan, Moon Knight, and Thanos were all good.

His DC team books Justice League United and Justice League Dark weren't bad, but I enjoyed them a lot less than his work with solo heroes. Frankenstein, which was a team book too functionally I liked quite a lot though. None of them were big sales successes though, but not much was for DC back then outside of Bats.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Schneider Heim posted:

on the other hand, being a high-end manga writer means like 3 hours a week to see your family, and a constant demand from your publishers to keep writing your most successful story for years after you planned to wrap it up

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nuns with Guns posted:

on the other hand, being a high-end manga writer means like 3 hours a week to see your family, and a constant demand from your publishers to keep writing your most successful story for years after you planned to wrap it up

Still love that Naruto author Kishimoto turned the fact that his son hates him, he couldn't spend any time with him during his childhood and that it is now too late to truly bond with him, become the plot to Boruto.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also has the character who is based on his wife marry a dude that refuses to be in the same place as her. Instead bumming around on some vague mission.

Naruto is hosed up is my point,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schneider Heim posted:

Well that is kind of a fundamental aspect here, I think: while I guess there might be a couple of exceptions somewhere, manga series are in substantial part creator-owned properties. I'm sure the guys who publish Shonen Jump have reprint rights to Dragon Ball but they can't just hire another artist and writer and make The Further Adventures of Goku, Forever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in Previews they have issue 6 of Secret Empire with Odinson, Scarlet Witch and Vision on the cover and refers to them as the "Unworthy, unstable and untrusted" and obviously Odinson is the Unworthy, but which is the Unstable and which is the Untrusted? I'd think both Wanda and Viz could be either of those.

spoilered for unreleased materials.

Japanese media just has nazis because nazis look cool. Seriously, the number of Nazis that show up in manga and anime is insane. It also causes hell for conventions becuase people will walk around just in full SS gear and claim they're just dressed as this character from that anime and its okay.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nessus posted:

Well that is kind of a fundamental aspect here, I think: while I guess there might be a couple of exceptions somewhere, manga series are in substantial part creator-owned properties. I'm sure the guys who publish Shonen Jump have reprint rights to Dragon Ball but they can't just hire another artist and writer and make The Further Adventures of Goku, Forever.

Someone never saw Dragon Ball GT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhonne posted:

Someone never saw Dragon Ball GT.
GT sucked hard BUT I don't think the two are good analogues, because they didn't keep publishing Dragon Ball GT/AF/BBQ/LMNOP in order to keep their copyrights. Obviously they've kept publishing the collections of the manga.

twistedmentat posted:

Japanese media just has nazis because nazis look cool. Seriously, the number of Nazis that show up in manga and anime is insane. It also causes hell for conventions becuase people will walk around just in full SS gear and claim they're just dressed as this character from that anime and its okay.
This seems pretty common throughout East Asia, though I guess some of it is "they were not really Hitler's target... at least, in the time frame he had before he got beat"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

So in Previews they have issue 6 of Secret Empire with Odinson, Scarlet Witch and Vision on the cover and refers to them as the "Unworthy, unstable and untrusted" and obviously Odinson is the Unworthy, but which is the Unstable and which is the Untrusted? I'd think both Wanda and Viz could be either of those.

spoilered for unreleased materials.

People not trusting Vision could have to do with Kang in Waid's Avengers , or just his crazy family from his own book.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

Japanese media just has nazis because nazis look cool.

There are a bunch of Japanese neo-Nazi groups so i wouldn't be so sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah turns out glossing over how Japan were the villains in WW2 in history class is bad for society.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah turns out glossing over how Japan were the villains in WW2 in history class is bad for society.

Yep. As they're written in Japanese, when I was taking Japanese history, the profs would always point out that the Japanese history of WW2 was exclusively focused on US Bombings, and put the blame on the Military leaders of the time, that the poor Japanese people were forced to go to war with the US because they were being mean about cutting off their oil and rubber. Ignoring the reason that resources were being cut off was because the were using them to murder people in Korea and China.

So yea didn't know Soule was writing another X-book out in a few months. I don't know if I have room for it because I decided to put Secret Warriors on my pull list. Maybe it won't be good and I'll put Soule's book to replace it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dan Didio posted:

There are a bunch of Japanese neo-Nazi groups so i wouldn't be so sure.

Do you mean that Nazis get included in Japanese anime because they want to appeal to a few hundred or thousand Japanese neo-Nazis specifically? They seem to me a miniscule group compared to bog-standard Japanese nationalists for whom Nihon Did Nothing Wrong Between 1926 And 1945.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Finally got to read Ewing's New Avengers. There's a sequence that deals with anxiety that I'm so happy to have seen. A+ work.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm going to bump off that and mention that Ewing's Ultimates reads like something out of the 80s lumped into the modern day in the best way I've seen put to paper in ages. That guy is firing hot right now. It's refreshing to see after nonsense like Civil War II and Secret Empire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading old Thor comics and Len Wein and Walt Simonson just ended their run (Simonson comes back later obvs). In their place is Roy Thomas and John Buscema. Now, maybe it's the inking, but I never thought I would ever consider Buscema a downgrade. But it's true. Simonson's stuff was better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

I'm reading old Thor comics and Len Wein and Walt Simonson just ended their run (Simonson comes back later obvs). In their place is Roy Thomas and John Buscema. Now, maybe it's the inking, but I never thought I would ever consider Buscema a downgrade. But it's true. Simonson's stuff was better.

I haven't read it, but it might be Roy Thomas' fault. I think it's a bit easier to save bad art with good writing than it is to save bad writing with good art. I like Roy Thomas too, it's just Walt Simonson was firing on all cylinders.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I think it's a bit easier to save bad art with good writing than it is to save bad writing with good art.

Emphatically agreed. I know comics are a visual medium, but I can suffer through mediocre art that has great writing a lot better than I can suffer through bad writing with good art.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lobok posted:

Bagley comes from a military family and was in the military himself, then later worked for Lockheed Martin. So Joe Mad is the epitome of lazy artist whereas Bagley is the epitome of work and discipline. All other artists are somewhere in between.

Totally agreed. Say what you want about Bagley's art (I personally like it from about issue #3 of New Warriors on) but the man has the work output of a god. He's about the only artist where "Issues are done when they're done" means 14-16 issues a year, like his USM run with Bendis. I think he also drew about half of every issue of Trinity, which was quite impressive when it was weekly.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The backlash against Secret Empire has apparently reached a point where Marvel felt the need to issue an official statement:

Marvel PR posted:

"With Marvel Comics’ 'Secret Empire,' the forces of Hydra have taken over and, due to the villainous actions of the Red Skull, have manipulated Marvel’s greatest hero, Captain America, and forced him to adopt their cause," the statement to ABC News reads. "At Marvel, we want to assure all of our fans that we hear your concerns about aligning Captain America with Hydra and we politely ask you to allow the story to unfold before coming to any conclusion."

The statement continues that the "passion" of fans is what keeps the company moving forward and that "Captain America, will always be a cornerstone of the Marvel Universe who will stand up for what is right, and 'Secret Empire' will be the biggest challenge Steve has ever faced."

"What you will see at the end of this journey is that his heart and soul -- his core values, not his muscle or his shield -- are what save the day against Hydra and will further prove that our heroes will always stand against oppression and show that good will always triumph over evil," it concludes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Please keep buying, please keep buying, please keep buying. That's all I see. Also I'm curious as to how they are going to make Steve great again. I mean it's not like they can just magically............wave....it away........oooooohhhhh I get it now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jiro posted:

Please keep buying, please keep buying, please keep buying. That's all I see. Also I'm curious as to how they are going to make Steve great again. I mean it's not like they can just magically............wave....it away........oooooohhhhh I get it now.

Print the hats!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

They do have a point about letting the story play out.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Being yet another crossover event is all the reason I need to poo poo on Secret Empire. It being conceptually stupid and written by a shitlord is just icing on the cake.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I just want this to continue so someone at Marvel gets drunk and posts on Twitter something to the effect of "Of course Hydra sucks and the Nazis are gonna get punched! this whole bs started with a Cosmic Cube!! Spencer kept telling us this would totes be a great story and people will be captivated at how we overcome a world where nazis won and wahteverf but gently caress guys, it's just another meaningless event why didnt you all talk about Monsters Unleashed on social media?????"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Happy Hippo posted:

Not really. If people don't want to read a story about "but what if Captain America...was secretly a Nazi all along?????" then telling them "no trust us, the payoff will be totally worth it, promise" isn't really going to make them more interested in reading a story about Captain America being a Nazi. It's like telling someone that if they can make it through eating this turd there'll be something really great for dessert. And let's be real here, what are the chances that this Nick Spencer really does have something up his sleeve that magically makes this entire thing so amazing, so utterly worth it, that it makes all the people unhappy with this whole storyline do an about-face and go "huh yeah, I guess it turns out this was good after all."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It just looks like a corporation asking people to please just buy it regardless of what you think, because it'll all work out in the end.

I don't know why people who are so invested in defending Secret Empire keep acting like anybody complaining about it think that it will end with the Nazis winning, but here we are.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

It just looks like a corporation asking people to please just buy it regardless of what you think, because it'll all work out in the end.

I mean yeah, there's this too. When you have to issue statements to the effect of "please keep reading, we promise it'll all work out in the end" it should really become obvious that maybe this story is different from all the other stories that don't require statements to that effect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kai Tave posted:

I mean yeah, there's this too. When you have to issue statements to the effect of "please keep reading, we promise it'll all work out in the end" it should really become obvious that maybe this story is different from all the other stories that don't require statements to that effect.

No story of this kind should require that kind of statement including this one. Creators shouldn't be obligated to spill the details of a story before it plays out just to placate people. Marvel shouldn't have made the statement and I really don't think they needed to.

If people don't like the story then they can put their money where there mouths are and not buy it. I'm sure there are people out there that are enjoying it just fine. I'm in the middle and just wish it was over so people would quit complaining about it every week.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'll admit, I'm going to get kinda annoyed when Korbik sacrifices herself to use all her cosmic powers and return history to how it used to be or whatever, and sites start running "Due to fan backlash, Marvel returned Captain America to pre-Hydra reboot!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'll admit, I'm going to get kinda annoyed when Korbik sacrifices herself to use all her cosmic powers and return history to how it used to be or whatever, and sites start running "Due to fan backlash, Marvel returned Captain America to pre-Hydra reboot!"

People literally did this when the second issue of the Captain America Hydra storyline hit a few weeks after the first. They said fan backlash made Marvel change the ending to the issue so that Cap hadn't been Hydra all along and that someone had messed up his history. Those people were and likely still are idiots.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

No story of this kind should require that kind of statement including this one. Creators shouldn't be obligated to spill the details of a story before it plays out just to placate people. Marvel shouldn't have made the statement and I really don't think they needed to.

Well I mean creators should make lovely stories either and yet here we are, so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kai Tave posted:

Well I mean creators should make lovely stories either and yet here we are, so.

It's not for you or I to tell any creator what to write and how to write it. Just because you don't like a story or I don't like a story doesn't mean the creator shouldn't be able to tell it. That's up to that writer and their editors and the company they work for. Whether we like it or not should never enter the equation until it comes time to hand over the money or not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

you're right but also that's an unrealistic expectation for secret empire at this point

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, the guy's taking a poo poo on your plate, but you haven't let him finish!!!!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

X-O posted:

It's not for you or I to tell any creator what to write and how to write it. Just because you don't like a story or I don't like a story doesn't mean the creator shouldn't be able to tell it. That's up to that writer and their editors and the company they work for. Whether we like it or not should never enter the equation until it comes time to hand over the money or not.

Actually you should probably be allowed to say that people shouldn't make stories where Nazis are cool and good.

'Just don't buy it' never works in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think secret empire is actually a story about how nazis are cool or good

either way, you're allowed to say their story is lame but they're also allowed to ignore you. even if you're right

• Locked thread