Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm not sure i can handle the excitement of growing mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Time for some :science:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

*Mr. Miyagi voice* Spore on, spore off!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Those are the rocks? You couldn't get some shinier ones?

Also I can see getting up to go to the bathroom at 4 am and stepping on an errant rock that has been kicked into the middle of the room and lol.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

HungryMedusa posted:

Also I can see getting up to go to the bathroom at 4 am and stepping on an errant rock that has been kicked into the middle of the room and lol.

Those are au natural river rock from the best streams in southern Missouri

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

They will soon glisten with lush algae and bacterial slime.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

HungryMedusa posted:

Those are not the rocks. These are just test rocks. I'd probably go with some smoother and more uniform river rock. But it was what they had available at Home Depot when I went.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Those are not the rocks. These are just test rocks. I'd probably go with some smoother and more uniform river rock. But it was what they had available at Home Depot when I went.

This is what we call a confounding factor. Gotta test the real rocks or the lab results are worthless, worthless!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Home Depot, youre loving priceless.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Home Depot, youre loving priceless.

Don't worry they were discount rocks.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is what we call a confounding factor. Gotta test the real rocks or the lab results are worthless, worthless!

I'm less concerned with exact science and more concerned with probable cause.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bEatmstrJ posted:

Don't worry they were discount rocks.

I'm less concerned with exact science and more concerned with probable cause.

Said the Trump administration

Said the tombstone

Said the ambulance chasing billboard lawyer

SAID THE CORPSE

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

c'mon OP, let's make it fair

you're gonna be getting into the tub over those rocks too so rub them with some dirty socks to get all the foot goodness onto them. wetting them was a nice touch but make sure it's lukewarm water, don't forget to sprinkle more on daily, and throw some plastic wrap over the top so it's nice and humid. i mean if you're doing a test, you want worst-case, right? now sprinkle a few tablespoons of dirt (from outside, not potting soil) onto them because things get dirty over time, keep that humidity up, and see what happens. don't forget to give it plenty of sun.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i mean to make it fair you should be deliberately infecting it with common household mold spores to see if they'll thrive in that environment but i'm being real charitable and assuming you don't have a patch of black mold you can go swab

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Didn't realize op was wrapping his tub in plastic wrap between uses, don't try and cheat the system op, goon inspection agency is onto your tricks

MojoMofo
Sep 27, 2001

W3rd

Facebook Aunt posted:

You're a genius. The value of the house would soar! Women love having candles around the tub, and this gets you all the flames you want without having to clean up wax dribbles.

Plus, bring raw meat into the bathroom, and flame broil some home made Whoppers. She can have "candles" and have it her way.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

`Nemesis posted:

Didn't realize op was wrapping his tub in plastic wrap between uses, don't try and cheat the system op, goon inspection agency is onto your tricks

i'm just presuming that barbie's dream bathroom ain't gonna have adequate ventilation

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The red wall is still the most offensive part of all of this.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bEatmstrJ posted:

Oh poo poo, you're performing this test with builder grade rocks???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Retail rocks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

The red wall is still the most offensive part of all of this.

There are two things every dudebro home decorator has to have: A giant overstuffed black leather couch and a red accent wall. Bonus points for LED mood lighting behind the TV for "ambiance."

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

There are two things every dudebro home decorator has to have: A giant overstuffed black leather couch and a red accent wall. Bonus points for LED mood lighting behind the TV for "ambiance."

In fairness..... Bias lighting behind your tv in some situations improves picture quality. Or, improves how your eyeballs function at least.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slugworth posted:

In fairness..... Bias lighting behind your tv in some situations improves picture quality. Or, improves how your eyeballs function at least.

I didn't know that but I'll allow it. You better not tell me there's a scientific justification for the beer bottle trophy shelf though.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

c'mon OP, let's make it fair

you're gonna be getting into the tub over those rocks too so rub them with some dirty socks to get all the foot goodness onto them. wetting them was a nice touch but make sure it's lukewarm water, don't forget to sprinkle more on daily, and throw some plastic wrap over the top so it's nice and humid. i mean if you're doing a test, you want worst-case, right? now sprinkle a few tablespoons of dirt (from outside, not potting soil) onto them because things get dirty over time, keep that humidity up, and see what happens. don't forget to give it plenty of sun.

You won't actually be stepping on the rocks so I can't concede to the dirty socks. I'll sprinkle additional water occasionally, but the number of times I used my old bathtub in the last 3 years can be counted on less than two hands. I also won't be plastic wrapping. I'm leaving the rocks in the bathroom for a fair shot at realistic conditions but I'm not going to sabotage my own experiment with your subterfuge.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

OP, even if stepping on the moldy rocks isn't your concern, that water and mold is going to work its way into the floor joists because you'll half-arse and cut costs at every turn.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

You won't actually be stepping on the rocks so I can't concede to the dirty socks. I'll sprinkle additional water occasionally, but the number of times I used my old bathtub in the last 3 years can be counted on less than two hands. I also won't be plastic wrapping. I'm leaving the rocks in the bathroom for a fair shot at realistic conditions but I'm not going to sabotage my own experiment with your subterfuge.

Wait. You compromised the structural integrity of your house for a bathtub you don't even plan to use?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay sister in law was going to bed but some quick pointers!
1. Good idea to try to figure something out at home. 2. This is a study, not an experiment. You are learning something at home, but not changing variables to see what changes (unless I understand this incorrectly) 3. Try to replicate real life conditions as well as possible, so you probably want foot water, not hand water, and 4. how many layers of rock will there be?

More details when she and I talk more! :science:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Wait. You compromised the structural integrity of your house for a bathtub you don't even plan to use?
OP is the kind of guy who loves stuff for how it looks, not to actually use it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

OP is the kind of guy who loves stuff for how it looks, not to actually use it.

Reminds me of my old neighbor who has a fully stocked liquor cabinet but doesn't drink or serve drinks to guests, or even has guests for that matter.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CrazyTolradi posted:

OP, even if stepping on the moldy rocks isn't your concern, that water and mold is going to work its way into the floor joists because you'll half-arse and cut costs at every turn.

Okay so what if he removes the rest of the floor joists?

Checkmate

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Divide by three baths a year... let's say you live for another fifty years (you'll need to give up the DIY electrical work to hit that target) and you live in this house until they cart you away.

Each bath you take will cost you 460 dollars. You could buy one of these and throw it away every time you feel like having a bath and still have enough left over for the Lush Star-Studded Bathing Gift Set and a moderately-priced bottle of champagne.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Spookydonut posted:

Okay so what if he removes the rest of the floor joists?

Checkmate

While in the future, I couldn't resist visiting the OP's bathroom. I then went back a decade or so (time travel is hard) and uploaded the video to youtube, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8nBICMsMk

I'm in the bathroom looking down into the kitchen.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

don't forget to give it plenty of sun.

I thought he removed a window?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving :laffo:

OP is the reason "idle hands are the devil's playthings" became a saying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Great experiment, OP. I can't wait until you show them all that mold is a lie.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Man, I thought folks were being too hard on him, but Jesus Christ man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

Fair enough. If you go through with the rock tub, will you at least promise to update un in 5 years, good outcome or bad? :v:

I've never had tub rocks, but when I moved recently I was surprised how grungy the spot behind the toilet had gotten over the years. This was a tiny apartment bathroom so the toilet was right next to bathtub, almost touching it, which made getting into that corner with a mop a bit tricky. To be honest I'd never made much effort to clean back there, because it was hard to get into the tiny space, and I didn't really expect it to be dirty since no one ever stepped there or spilled anything there. (Also because I'm lazy as gently caress). But over 8 years of half-assed mopping, dust and occasional splashes of bathwater had made it grubby back there. Not moldy though, smooth linoleum isn't mold-friendly. I bet there would have been some mold if I'd left a bunch of rocks back there and never washed them or turned them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
They make soft felted wool bath mats that look a whole lot like rocks. I feel like that's an easier to maintain and nicer to experience option.

Ideal for people with a bunch of money to spend on something mostly pointless outside of looks.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay, I have more complete advice from molecular biologist sister-in-law (sistertron):

sistertron posted:

he should take a bath and collect several >100 mL aliquots of the water in sterile containers
one of them he should pour on the rocks
actually, he should pour one of them on the rocks each day for a number of days
one of them should just sit in the sun
if they get cloudy, something is growing.
start with a pool testing kit to ID

Let's do this. :science:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
OP I hope you get published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I thought groverhaus was the best this forum would ever have to offer. I was wrong.

• Locked thread