Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nah. I like that 5 doesn't have any accepting your death or seek the truth bullshit, it just has you shoot the source of your problems right in the face.
extremely agreed

Persona 5's theme of Cool, Young People loving Up lovely Old People's Entire Scenes Is Great is way, way cooler to me than Memento That You Mori and Face Out To The Honesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nah. I like that 5 doesn't have any accepting your death or seek the truth bullshit, it just has you shoot the source of your problems right in the face.

Want a version of Persona 3 with the Phantom Thieves Joker just shoots Nyx in the head and walks away without having to become a living wall like the P3 Leader.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

I hope the inevitable anime doesn't chose to make the MC somehow unlikable like I felt about what the anime and the material after did to YU and his bro. and Chie.

Anime Charlie is the best persona lead wtf

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean if we're counting the p3 movies in terms of best anime lead Makoto is a pretty good development of character.

Also he slaps Junpei in the face with a deadpan stare and it's great.

Golden Animation feels really lovely in terms of Yu, however.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wonder what the inevitable P5 anime's take on the hero will be like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

daybreakers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Motto posted:

Probably exactly as he is in game. A cocky little fucker who hates the cops.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Motto posted:

quietly condescending, always early to bed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yaldabaoth and Izanami both gave off the impression of claiming to do what humanity wanted but really just using those warped desires as an excuse to fulfill their own goals, whatever the cost.

Yaldabaoth isn't even as gracious about loss as Izanami was, the tosser.

It's totally in character for Yaldabaoth as the Gnostic version of the Old Testament God, really. Dude loved putting mortals to unfair tests just to prove a point while acting like righteousness was on his side. In Gnostic Christianity he's explicitly not the true God and something people should resist, which is where Satanael comes in. I enjoyed how irrational Yaldy was while hiding behind authority and righteousness.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Count Bleck posted:

Golden Animation feels really lovely in terms of Yu, however.

Well, yeah. Golden Animation is the Marie Show with a side order of Adachi, so of course it sidelines the unimportant people

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Can I take screenshots on PS4 now? Every time I open share menu it just asks me to share on social media when I just want to use it as my profile cover.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Maybe next year

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

nah you need to take chihaya.

heres a guide, its translated or something so the names don't exactly match. ( ie it says take makoto to the aqueduct, but it means suidobashi.)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VVauHKAfU6HXDtVfhdWk7VwW7kAS2C0c2mCSqAu2ud0/edit
mods, please change my name to "a statue of a nude"

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Spoilers for beating the NG+ boss: I guess all of the Velvet Room ladies are related, huh? A friend of mine guessed that Lavenza might be Elizabeth or Margaret's kid, but from the twins' dialogue, she's the baby sister.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

Want a version of Persona 3 with the Phantom Thieves Joker just shoots Nyx in the head and walks away without having to become a living wall like the P3 Leader.

Makoto had no qualms with dying. The question is how do you cope with loss and he would prefer if you cherish the memories you have. If Makoto didnt had tp make the sacrifice they would be working as a psychatrist specializing in dealing with loss.

And lets not pretend Joker got off scot free. Ultimate he "lost" because in the end he was sent to prison even if for a short time. He did in a sense sacrificed his own freedom for others.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 2, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zhaan posted:

Spoilers for beating the NG+ boss: I guess all of the Velvet Room ladies are related, huh? A friend of mine guessed that Lavenza might be Elizabeth or Margaret's kid, but from the twins' dialogue, she's the baby sister.

The attendants are all "siblings" in the respect that they were all created by Philemon. The idea of Elizabeth having an actual family of her own is too frightful to consider.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Did they run out of ideas for Palace Seven? Holy poo poo, I thought everyone here was exaggerating.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I really wish they'd named animated Minato anything but Makoto, I just spent a good 10 seconds rereading a post and wondering what the gently caress bizarro version of P5 the poster was playing.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

JackDarko posted:

Did they run out of ideas for Palace Seven? Holy poo poo, I thought everyone here was exaggerating.

yeah in order its like 4=6>1=2=3>>7>>>>>>>>>>>5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

yeah in order its like 4=6>1=2=3>>7>>>>>>>>>>>5

I'd put 1 in the top end of dungeons. It was good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3 was way worse than 5

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't remember anything especially annoying about 3 besides the password gimmick being pretty :effort:, and that was without SP Adhesives until the very end.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
3 and 5 were low-effort for sure, but I don't get the big deal about Palace 7. I thought it was honestly pretty short compared to most others and I was expecting something worse from all the endless bitching about it. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3 had the unlocking section that went on for so long that i legit thought i was losing my mind

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, the problem is that it repeats the exact same puzzle four times or so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah I dunno. Every time I got to a new palace I was expecting it to be the one where they started getting insanely and annoyingly long like everyone said, but I never really felt that way about any of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

3 was way worse than 5

3's track is better and I honestly quite liked it before the final floor, which is admittedly really drat bad. While 5 starts with one of my least favourite gimmicks and it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the rest even though it's second third is very solid and it's final gimmick is at worst just kinda there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i still dont get why people hate the corporate ladder gimmick in palace 5. the bosses are super easy, and i was playing on hard.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

5 is the only one where I just couldn't believe it was not ending. At least 3 or 4 times I went to the next zone thinking OK this has got to be the treasure room and nope another giant boring puzzle.

That said, I didn't hate any of them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The thing that sucks about the robots in 5 is that they resist everything except their weakness so they'll drain a bunch of your SP while you fumble around trying to find the right element. I like that there's a payoff for analyzing them at the end. They're not that bad and I'll take them over pretty much every other "puzzle" that dungeon had going for it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SectumSempra posted:

Auto-mataru MC, Concentrate Ann, Amp + Boost + Her last Skill , everything in game takes 4 digits of damage to, usually tilting closer to 2K.

The problem is that by the time you have her set up the sequence is more like: Auto-mataru MC, Hassou Tobi, FIN. Having some sort of huge damage board-wiping attack is cool and all but it's not great if it requires two turns and she never even gets one. Then there's every point up until you've broken the game where no physical attack == gtfo of my party.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i still dont get why people hate the corporate ladder gimmick in palace 5. the bosses are super easy, and i was playing on hard.

It's boring and there's some really strange places to put screen transitions and loading screens. And if you're too thorough for your own good like me and feel the need to check every point marked on the map you jump between those loading screens a lot and it's real jarring because basically every other palace (except 7 but that's later) only do loading screens between major room changes.

Also I was probably underlevelled for the mini-bosses because all their minions went first and after 5 triple downs only Joker survives and I have to dully fight back with repel phys the exact same way every fight. So it was sorta uninteresting. But I guess that bit is on me.

Edit:

GimmickMan posted:

The thing that sucks about the robots in 5 is that they resist everything except their weakness so they'll drain a bunch of your SP while you fumble around trying to find the right element. I like that there's a payoff for analyzing them at the end. They're not that bad and I'll take them over pretty much every other "puzzle" that dungeon had going for it.

I liked the factory.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moltrey posted:

extremely agreed

Persona 5's theme of Cool, Young People loving Up lovely Old People's Entire Scenes Is Great is way, way cooler to me than Memento That You Mori and Face Out To The Honesty

I name all my persona characters memento mori

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I had no problems with Five, my only issue was bad SP management. I didn't find it that much of a slog and the final stretch was cool. Palace 7 just repeats the same gimmick over and over.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

1 - Good intro, design flowed well.
2 - Thematically not that memorable to me, but good pacing.
3 - The unlocking felt a little tedious with the codes, but pretty good.
4 - I think it needed one fewer hallway door to make it not feel too long.
5 - Even if the Palace itself isn't that long, it felt long. I kept thinking I might be done, then I'd find an entirely new area.
6 - Great. Probably the best. If you chose the wrong direction to start on each floor it feel differently when it comes to length, but it doesn't overstay its welcome
7 - The puzzle aspect of this dungeon had the misfortune of being both immediately obvious and boring, as well as repeated something like four tedious times.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I regret not dating Takemi

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had a lot of fun in palace 5 and even thought its barracks gimmick was a lot of fun. My interest dipped a bit during the segments in the factory, then the airlocks part was better again because it was in essence a long corridor with like 3 enemies on it, so my HP and SP starved rear end was relieved.

Only palace 7 had me really go "oh holy gently caress no, yet another bland corridor?" although palace 4 came close with its final door, though salvaged by the fact that I could feel I was getting closer.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

5 is only cool because of that burger attack cinematic, except for the times that it one-shots you and you have to start that entire stupid fight again.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

AlphaKeny1 posted:

5 is only cool because of that burger attack cinematic, except for the times that it one-shots you and you have to start that entire stupid fight again.

that attack would have been way cooler if it did less damage the more you ate at big bang burger, i know the hunger status thing too, which was kinda cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It probably doesn't matter too much given the context, but new game + shows in this game where they interrupt the player too much at bad times.

I really don't need telling that the vault door is open Ryuji. I can see that it's open. A cutscene just showed me that it opened less than a minute ago. I know this because I opened it. It seems minor but when you just want to get the poo poo done with and carry on running through a dungeon, it's a frustrating thing.

Endorph posted:

It's just padding, which is a problem in play through one rather than just when you're replaying.

I'd rather they'd made one middlingly interesting fight for each tier on the hierarchy than one easy, boring fight that you basically need to luck into doing right the first time if you don't want to do that same fight again and again and again. Then there's the fight where you fight three waves of mooks.
And then you fight those same mooks again for like 15 minutes in lieu of a boss fight! Great!