Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I dunno, those are interesting points but I feel like that's a fairly limiting look at the genre. Is a comic about someone who has superpowers and occasionally fights aliens and ninjas a superhero comic even if the focus is on life between those events? How much does the world around them matter? I consider Lobo a superhero character, but would I even if he wasn't in a superhero world? What about a comic that takes an established superhero and examines them in a different context (I'm thinking Arkham Asylum, a horror comic that features Batman)? It's a large genre, and maybe its very name needs to be re-examined after decades of change and experimentation, but I feel like the turtles fit right in, right next to Daredevil and Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

I dunno, those are interesting points but I feel like that's a fairly limiting look at the genre. Is a comic about someone who has superpowers and occasionally fights aliens and ninjas a superhero comic even if the focus is on life between those events? How much does the world around them matter? I consider Lobo a superhero character, but would I even if he wasn't in a superhero world? What about a comic that takes an established superhero and examines them in a different context (I'm thinking Arkham Asylum, a horror comic that features Batman)? It's a large genre, and maybe its very name needs to be re-examined after decades of change and experimentation, but I feel like the turtles fit right in, right next to Daredevil and Batman.

Yeah that's why it's such an eternal argument. There's plenty of valid logic both ways. I usually just break it up by incarnation in my head. I don't think of the Mirage comic TMNT as superheroes, because they don't really go out of their way to do heroic actions on purpose. But the cartoon ones? Yeah probably.

Gaz-L posted:

I still maintain that the basic idea of adding a girl turtle to the mix is actually a pretty great concept. It was just done in the worst possible way (and I can honestly think of like a half-dozen ways to do it and still maintain the base idea of the TMNT).

There were some decent ideas in that show but they were all executed terribly. The basic concepts behind the original villains are all at least...potentially decent. Venus defeats Shredder with ~shinobi magic~ or something early on which is kinda bullshit, but they had the very fleeting good-rear end idea later on of Shredder now being homeless and pathetic due to the foot falling apart and the TMNT have like two seconds of thought about if they should help him or forgive him or not but it's quickly forgotten. That could be a good story. But it wasn't!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, it should be so easy to have a female Turtle. It's in the loving name of the franchise. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. For some reason Saban got stuck on the Ninja part (presumably so they could do the magic stuff and not have to worry about giving the girl character a sword or something), but just have her be a teenage girl from NYC, except she's also a turtle just like the boys. Or if you have to do the 'long-lost' thing, hey, maybe she wound up in Jersey or Queens and you can do the thing of the Manhattan kids looking down on the Jersey girl to get some comedy/dramatic tension. (Though that does make it harder to use the cheesiest idea I had, which is splitting Mikey's name so you don't gently caress with the Renaissance theme: Michael and Angela.)

It's SO easy that every time I see or hear about that show, it makes me a little mad.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 2, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Like, it should be so easy to have a female Turtle. It's in the loving name of the franchise. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. For some reason Saban got stuck on the Ninja part (presumably so they could do the magic stuff and not have to worry about giving the girl character a sword or something), but just have her be a teenage girl from NYC, except she's also a turtle just like the boys. Or if you have to do the 'long-lost' thing, hey, maybe she wound up in Jersey or Queens and you can do the thing of the Manhattan kids looking down on the Jersey girl to get some comedy/dramatic tension. (Though that does make it harder to use the cheesiest idea I had, which is splitting Mikey's name so you don't gently caress with the Renaissance theme: Michael and Angela.)

It's SO easy that every time I see or hear about that show, it makes me a little mad.

It's loving insulting that the four original turtles are named after artists and when they had a female ninja turtle she was named after a famous work of art.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's loving insulting that the four original turtles are named after artists and when they had a female ninja turtle she was named after a famous work of art.

When I first had that idea I actually tried to do some research to see if there was a contemporary of Donatello et al that would've worked, but it's depressingly hard to find well-known female European painters from that era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

When I first had that idea I actually tried to do some research to see if there was a contemporary of Donatello et al that would've worked, but it's depressingly hard to find well-known female European painters from that era.

So go to a different era, name her Frida for gently caress sake if you have to. The Venus de Milo is further removed from Donatello et al than Yoko Ono.

Edit: fame is also incredibly relative. The only reason I know Donatello and Raphael are artists is because they're also ninja turtles.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 2, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The only reason I know Donatello and Raphael are artists is because they're also ninja turtles.

This but for all 4 of them and for 90% of people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Going back to Smallville, didn't have a strong mandate to never be truely a comic book show? Yea characters, places and situations would resemble stuff from the comics but never put Clark in the suit or ever call him Superman or do anything that could make think this was a based on dumbass comic books.

Obviously relaxed later because they had, albeit briefly, 90s Starman on looking exactly like he did, even if they called him the Star Spangled Kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This but for all 4 of them and for 90% of people.

I think almost half of people would kinda sorta know who Leonardo Da Vinci was without ninja turtles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Going back to Smallville, didn't have a strong mandate to never be truely a comic book show? Yea characters, places and situations would resemble stuff from the comics but never put Clark in the suit or ever call him Superman or do anything that could make think this was a based on dumbass comic books.

Obviously relaxed later because they had, albeit briefly, 90s Starman on looking exactly like he did, even if they called him the Star Spangled Kid.

My crack about Clark was how he's a terrible loving person in that show. Byut you should ask Rhyno, he's the expert.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

The first show runners had a strict no flying no suit policy, and then the main actor did not want to ever get in the suit so it had comic book stuff but could not go all the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Those episodes of Smallville still bother me due to Geoff Johns writing a live action stand in for his dead sister into the show.

Skwirl posted:

I think almost half of people would kinda sorta know who Leonardo Da Vinci was without ninja turtles.

I am constantly reminded how stupid America is. I stand by my numbers.

Skwirl posted:

My crack about Clark was how he's a terrible loving person in that show. Byut you should ask Rhyno, he's the expert.

But I don't wanna be the expert!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

But I don't wanna be the expert!

Rhyno posted:

HAHAHAHAHA I WATCHED EVERY SINGLE EPISODE OF SMALLVILLE OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

You brought this on yourself.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Sophie Campbell, who has done official TMNT issues before, has a fan comic using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_Gentileschi for a girl turtle name.

Skwirl posted:

I like that they didn't name Donatello after Da Vinci, since it would "make sense". If you had 4 kids to name, you don't know which one's gonna grow up to be the smart one, after all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

You brought this on yourself.

I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rhyno posted:

I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING

Are you expressing your feelings on watching Smallville, or are you quoting practically every character from Smallville?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Only the first 3 seasons of Smallville actually take place. The rest is inside the mind of a severely brain damaged Lana Lang.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

My brother used to have an official Bibleman tie-in Bible. Probably still have it somewhere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rhyno posted:

But I have now seen every episode of pretty much every super hero show ever.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Gemini Man
Six Million Dollar Man
Manimal
Automan
ElectraWoman and Dyna-Girl
ISIS
Shazam
Blue Falcon and DynoMutt
1960s Marvel cartoons
Man from Atlantis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNQQvmbXckQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey WGA got a deal done with the studios. No strike!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

If the Sentinel counts, do Time Trax and Viper count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJSzJVrPcno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfBmqLSRzWU

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 2, 2017

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Time Trax was my jam.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Hey WGA got a deal done with the studios. No strike!

:toot: did they get what they wanted?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

:toot: did they get what they wanted?

Here's their statement

quote:

May 2, 2017

Dear Colleagues–

Your Negotiating Committee is pleased to report that we have reached a tentative agreement with the AMPTP that we can recommend for ratification.

In it, we made gains in minimums across the board – as well as contribution increases to our Health Plan that should ensure its solvency for years to come. And we further expanded our protections in Options and Exclusivity.

We also made unprecedented gains on the issue of short seasons in television, winning a definition (which has never before existed in our MBA) of 2.4 weeks of work for each episodic fee. Any work beyond that span will now require additional payment for hundreds of writer-producers.

We won a 15% increase in Pay TV residuals, roughly $15 million in increases in High-Budget SVOD residuals, and, for the first time ever, residuals for comedy-variety writers in Pay TV.

And, also for the first time ever, job protection on Parental Leave.

Did we get everything we wanted? No. Everything we deserve? Certainly not. But because we had the near-unanimous backing of you and your fellow writers, we were able to achieve a deal that will net this Guild’s members $130 million more, over the life of the contract, than the pattern we were expected to accept.

That result, and that resolve, is a testament to you, your courage, and your faith in us as your representatives.

We will, of course, provide more details in the next few days. But until then, we just wanted to thank you – and congratulate you. Your voices were indeed heard.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
History Channel has a brand-spankin-new series now called Superheroes Decoded that goes into the history/creation/pop climate of superfolk, and there are lots of interviews with writers like Christopher Priest, Gail Simone, Claremont, etc. There's an obvious tilt towards characters that have appeared in movies/tv so they can show clips, but it's still pretty good.

Only 2 episodes so far. (edit: oh, it's only the two episodes)

http://www.history.com/shows/superheroes-decoded

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 2, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Here's their statement

Good for the WGA, honestly I'm more than a little surprised the producers acquiesced on so many of the union's demands with so little fuss. I was fully expecting a strike of some length, even if just for a couple of days.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Very brief Daredevil season 3 teaser: https://www.facebook.com/Daredevil/videos/1313753868702734/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

That's for Defenders.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Here's their statement

So how does that translate to streaming TV? SVOD might qualify for that? Is it under the Pay TV umbrella? I just don't know?!??!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So how does that translate to streaming TV? SVOD might qualify for that? Is it under the Pay TV umbrella? I just don't know?!??!

quote:

roughly $15 million in increases in High-Budget SVOD residuals

Dunno what qualifies as high-budget tho :shrug:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

"Hey guys! Remember all that stuff that made season 2 a drag? Have some more of it!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
But Elektra and the Hand were the parts I liked...:(

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Again, that's for Defenders.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You put this horrible opinion here to be read by my own two eyes

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, you're wrong.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah that's why it's such an eternal argument. There's plenty of valid logic both ways. I usually just break it up by incarnation in my head. I don't think of the Mirage comic TMNT as superheroes, because they don't really go out of their way to do heroic actions on purpose. But the cartoon ones? Yeah probably.

Look, the jingle says "heroes in a half-shell" and jingles don't lie. QED.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HIJK posted:

"Hey guys! Remember all that stuff that made season 2 a drag? Have some more of it!"

Mystical ninja stuff rules and is a core part of daredevil and will never go away, season 2 just executed it badly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked Elektra and I'm looking forward to more of her, suk iiiiiiiiit
:boom:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I didn't dislike the Hand or The Punisher stuff in Season 2, I just didn't think they knew how to end either, or how to draw both stories together.