Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
My [22M] gf [22F] doesn't want to hang out in my apartment because "it's creepy," won't explain further

quote:

I have been going out with a girl I'll call Sarah for about 4 months now. Concerning our living situations I live in my own apartment and she lives in a detached house with a few other girls. I really like her and for the most part things are great but there's obviously an issue or I wouldn't be posting here.
We see each other a few times a week, some in public and some in private. Shortly after we started dating I showed her my apartment (just like a cursory tour) and afterwards we went out for dinner. I brought her there a few more times but she asked to go out again after a short period (asking if there was an event we could attend, etc.). About two months into the relationship she would decline all attempts to go to my place and instead ask that we go out or hang at her place.
Eventually I started to get kind of frustrated by this. I don't want to hang out there exclusively or anything, but it's an option were are leaving on the table and one that has guaranteed privacy and entertainment to boot. Unless all of her housemates are gone there's no way we're going to get a TV (or a room) to ourselves. None of her housemates are jerks or anything but sometimes you just want space.
So, last weekend I asked her straight-up why she doesn't want to hang out at my apartment. She responded that "it's creepy" and I pressed her for further details. Unfortunately she didn't give any and would just say things like "I'm sorry, it just is to me, etc." I don't want to force her to do things but I feel I am owed at least an explanation. Just to be clear, she does not seem to have a problem with us being alone in general. We have hung out by ourselves at her house several times and additionally have gone camping/hiking alone in the woods. More details on the apartment in case anyone wonders: No one else has told me it's "creepy", my neighbors seem pretty normal (although they have loud dogs hahaha), and I don't have any torture paraphernalia on my walls. It is somewhat blank-walled but that's just because I'm a poor grad who's not going to spend money on decorative bowls.
Am I right in being frustrated by this? How can I not feel indirectly accused of being a creep? How can we spend more time together if the apartment is off the table?
tl;dr: My girlfriend doesn't want to hang out at my place because "it's creepy", and is very vague about details. Am I right in feeling owed an explanation, and how can we improve our intimacy in light of this?

Either anime titty statues or a g-g-g-ghost imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm a little two-minded on this one b/c an ex of an ex once doctored a bunch of texts to gently caress with me. Her story sounds like bullshit, but if it's true and her ex is loving with them, it's almost impossible to prove the texts aren't real anyways.

I had to point out the inconsistent time stamps on all the fake texts over a long period, and even then my ex only half-believed me & it really wasn't worth the effort in the end.

That sucks. I just cut all exes out utterly now, just never thought it was worth any possible drama. 

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 2, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I (20 M) am in love with a woman who lives in Croatia. I live in America. She just wants to be close friends for right now. Is being her friend a good long-term strategy for an eventual relationship?

quote:

Long story short, she's very sexually-attracted to me (especially my body), and she loves my devout Catholic nature, but she only wants to be friends. I love her so much, and I'm not willing to lose her. Is being friends with her--a really good friend--a good strategy for her to eventually love me back? Thank you 😊
TL;DR I love her and she doesn't love me back.

(especially my body)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That sucks. I just cut all exes out utterly now, just never thought it was worth any possible drama.

Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way. It's amazing how much easier stuff is if you don't have ex drama complicating things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

I (20 M) am in love with a woman who lives in Croatia. I live in America. She just wants to be close friends for right now. Is being her friend a good long-term strategy for an eventual relationship?

Short Answer: No
Long Answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

My [22M] gf [22F] doesn't want to hang out in my apartment because "it's creepy," won't explain further

Either anime titty statues or a g-g-g-ghost imo

Maybe he's got that Rust Cohle aesthetic- it's filled with nothing but a mattress and murder books

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

It wasn't your violent nature that scared me, it was your room, your empty heart. There wasn't anything in your room -- only a bed and a small desk. It looked like a prison cell. No television set, no family pictures, not even a poster. A lifeless room... almost like your empty heart.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way. It's amazing how much easier stuff is if you don't have ex drama complicating things.

It sure sounds like you did. I don't think I'm missing anything worthwhile enough to risk it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 2, 2017

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable enough to be totally alone with him, if her housemates are usually there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

It wasn't your violent nature that scared me, it was your room, your empty heart. There wasn't anything in your room -- only a bed and a small desk. It looked like a prison cell. No television set, no family pictures, not even a poster. A lifeless room... almost like your empty heart.

An empty room is super creepy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

That's why I laid down plastic >_>

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's a beautiful lamp you have, made of human skin.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

agreed

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Every doll and teddy bear whispers "I am gay"

E- forgot the teddy bears

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Every doll and teddy bear whispers "I am gay"

E- forgot the teddy bears

you better not loving forget the teddybears

they are part of my lovable cuddly persona that the girls can't get enough of, along with my pets

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So this didn't come out of relationships, but it came out of Reddit, and it's about relationships! The thread was about revealing a secret that could ruin your life, well...

quote:

A while back, I was cheating on my wife with a coworker. It went on for months, and I never really cared for the woman I was cheating with. She was super hot, though. After a while my coworker started getting really crazy and threatening to tell my wife (whom I had a child with and a baby on the way) about everything. Obviously, I kept trying to cut things off because I realized I was making a mistake. She lost it one night and was freaking out and texting me telling me she was going to come to my house, and a drunk driver hit her. She died instantly. No one knows I was having an affair, and my family went to her funeral.
Edit: Oh man, sorry Reddit for answering the question honestly! Next time I'll remember to keep this to myself. Also thanks for the gold.
Edit Edit: Shout out to all the people who think I should have died instead, and are encouraging me to go ahead and tell the one secret that would ruin my life.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's the life sized, naked anime girl in the room. It's just a statue, right, and not a stuffed girl? Right?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I have pictures with titties and poo poo on my walls in my room, but they're actual paintings I've done. The rest is several bookshelves of literature and my RPG collection.

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, the RPG shares the same shelf space as a book of R. Green Ingersoll's lectures printed in the late 1800s (The Ghosts, and other Lectures). Both are precious artifacts.

I ain't no creeper with a barren bedroom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She emotionally pushed me when I was trying to stay silent and called me rude for not responding after a day of constant belittlement and patronizing. I then calmly (or as calmly as i could) asked her to leave me alone for i had nothing to say to her. As a result, she verbally attacked me and called me names. I then lost myself and called her a c**t and she kicked me out of the house. I stayed outside waiting for my mother to pick me up, whom I had requested to do so because I could feel the outburst coming. After a minute or so, she came outside because i was talking to my girlfriend through the window and attacked me again. My girlfriend started reminding her that I had aspergers and telling her to back off because she knew that i just needed space. Her mother then decided it was a good idea to push me. Never a good idea to do that to an autistic person... I asked her in a very grizzly voice not to touch me. She clearly noticed that it was getting me worked up, so she started to poke and prod me in the chest repeatedly like a child. It took all the love I feel for my girlfriend not to push her down the stairs behind me. I instead screamed at her that you don't poke someone with aspergers. She told me I was using my disability as a crutch. She said I was using it to get out of my problems. I tried to walk away from the house and she followed me. I tried to get away and I couldn't. That woman is lucky I'm more in control than I was even a year ago and she's lucky my mother wasn't there. On the ride home my mom tried to calm me down and held my hand and made sure I knew that I was going to be okay. This happened yesterday and the woman has only gotten more angry and is trying to stop me and my girlfriend from seeing each-other. All I have to say to that is this: The b***h can try. We're both almost 18 and there will be nothing she can do. I'm sorry for telling the whole story, but I needed to vent and this gave me the opportunity. I'm a high-school dropout, but her school is very close to my home, so I plan to meet her after school every day I can. It'll be a hard year if her mother keeps nurturing this blooming vendetta. Please give your genuine opinion on who was primarily at fault, because I honestly don't know. Thanks for reading.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 2, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I hate it when I consider murdering my girlfriend because I'm autistic. Every goddamned Tuesday it's the same song and dance. Those stairs are just begging to be fallen down.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hate it when I consider murdering my girlfriend because I'm autistic. Every goddamned Tuesday it's the same song and dance. Those stairs are just begging to be fallen down.

I think it was the girlfriend's mom thst he wanted to murder. I have such a hard time deriving an accurate understanding of an event based on the writings of a very autistic person though because they seem to have a hard time with where the story starts and what parts they should tell you.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why are there suddenly so god drat many autistic people in america ahhhhhhhhhhh, i hear the word literally every day here oN SA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fartbox posted:

Why are there suddenly so god drat many autistic people in america ahhhhhhhhhhh, i hear the word literally every day here oN SA

*In a very grizzly voice*

Some self identify, and being a victim is en vogue now. Maybe it's that?

Lowtax actually was a visionary.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 2, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

therobit posted:

I think it was the girlfriend's mom thst he wanted to murder. I have such a hard time deriving an accurate understanding of an event based on the writings of a very autistic person though because they seem to have a hard time with where the story starts and what parts they should tell you.

Oh, yep. You got it right.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My gf of one year [32 F] won't take my [32 M] last name if we get married.

OP posted:

She said that she will not take my name if we get married, and she will not have a different name than her future children. She has no problem changing her name, the problem is she doesn't like my name. I am proud of my name, and though I don't care if she takes my name or not, I refuse to father children that dont take my name. I will not change my name.

tl;dr It seems there can be no compromise. Is this a legit deal breaker, or am I being unreasonable?

quote:

double barrel the kids names?

OP posted:

Double barreling the kids names would make them different than hers, and thus the same problem remains.

An unstoppable force meeting an immovable object, both made of loving dumb

The obvious answer is to both change their last name to Pnurtis

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

I refuse to father children that dont take my name.

:rolleyes:

Okay, Mr. Caveman, we're all impressed, now just drop it and let her have the name thing.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you better not loving forget the teddybears

they are part of my lovable cuddly persona that the girls can't get enough of, along with my pets

Even the TV can't bear to look.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is a fun one!

Just found out that my[23/m] girlfriend[21/f] has been muttering swear words to me in her native language every time she was annoyed with me or we fought.

quote:

My gf and I have been together for a year. Great relationship, she's smart, beautiful, funny, kind, etc. A few arguments here and there but nothing earth shattering. I am from the US and she is studying here, but she is originally from a country in Asia. A few months into our relationship, i would notice that every time she was upset with me or we were in the middle of an argument, she would randomly start muttering / shouting these phrases in her language. In the heat of the moment I wouldn't really acknowledge it but later when I asked her, she would say that sometimes when she's upset she forgets to switch to English and she's just saying things like "what did I tell you" or "I hate arguing" - pretty neutral phrases I guess one would say during an argument?

Anyway, there are a few phrases that she always says that I remember. Today, I was talking to a semi-new coworker whose parents are from the same country as my girlfriend. He speaks the language fluently too. I was trying to show off the few phrases I knew (the ones she always says) and he started laughing because apparently I had said a bunch of filthy swear words. He thought I did that on purpose (because admittedly, most people learn the swear words first when learning phrases of a different language) but when I looked confused and asked him what I had said, he said basically the equivalent of "You dumb piece of poo poo" or "you're such a fcking rtard".. stuff like that. Nothing "neutral", and extremely brutal. Obviously if she had said those things in English mid-argument, I would have been upset so she decided to say them in her native language??
I am really hurt because I would never speak to her like that and I don't know how she thinks of me to think this is acceptable behavior. What do I do? Is this normal?

tl;dr: thought my gf was always saying EXTREMELY brutal and offensive insults to me under her breath in her native language every time we fought or she was upset with me. She had always told me they were just neutral sayings in her country that she would sometimes forget to translate in English when upset. I find out she's lying. What do?

To me, this would actually be pretty funny to find out, but I have a decently thick skin.

Also, why wasn't this your first guess, dude? She only did it while you were fighting.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

WampaLord posted:

This is a fun one!

Just found out that my[23/m] girlfriend[21/f] has been muttering swear words to me in her native language every time she was annoyed with me or we fought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6vGLpAueQ

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WampaLord posted:

:rolleyes:

Okay, Mr. Caveman, we're all impressed, now just drop it and let her have the name thing.

Eh, they're both being dumb because they have the same stance on that. "she will not have a different name than her future children".

It's one of the weird consequences of not having the same last name and it's up to the couple to figure out a solution since there are advantages and. disadvantages to all the options. But if neither of them are willing to budge I'm not sure what they can do.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Barudak posted:

Short Answer: No
Long Answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I know this is basically a dad joke but it never fails to make me laugh.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

WampaLord posted:

This is a fun one!

To me, this would actually be pretty funny to find out, but I have a decently thick skin.

Also, why wasn't this your first guess, dude? She only did it while you were fighting.

Hahahahahaha my Filipino friend's parents speak Tagalog, but she doesn't (much). She recently translated online what her parents would always shout at each other when they fall out, for a long as she could remember - putang imo mo. It means "your mother's a whore'".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

:golfclap: for this, btw.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Elsa you two timing bastard, how can you keep sending me PMs asking me to marry you and then be jerking off to one of my best friends !!!

I can't help it you're both awesome and it's not that hard to type with one hand

wait was I probated

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
oh okay last night is coming back to me it was dark and there was alcohol and I woke up in someone else's bed

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Who the hell let you out of your cage so early?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elsa posted:

oh okay last night is coming back to me it was dark and there was alcohol and I woke up in someone else's bed

Were you covered in blood and chicken feathers?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Danaru posted:

My gf of one year [32 F] won't take my [32 M] last name if we get married.

An unstoppable force meeting an immovable object, both made of loving dumb

The obvious answer is to both change their last name to Pnurtis

Yeah they need to hyphenate the kids names or her name. It doesn't really matter which . Otherwise whichever parent has a non matching last name is gonna have a load of administrative headaches every time they go to the doctor's office, the school, etc. Having the names match doea actually matter in terms of not being questioned about your relationship to the kids. Really though they are both unreasonable and should split now before they get into the hard stuff because if they can't figure out hyphenating the kids' last names then they are doomed.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [38/F] wife [38/M] change her mind on adoption. She said a bunch of mean/hurtful things about it to me. I am seriously worried about how this will affect our relationship.

quote:

My wife and I have been together 19 years, married 12 years and we have two daughters, aged 6 and 4.

Since the beginning of our relationship, I have told my wife I would like to adopt a kid someday. My brother is adopted, and I want to take in a kid, the same way my family took in my brother. For the record, my brother still has contact to his biological family, he visits them sometimes but he considers my family his real family.

Anyway, my girlfriend always said she would be okay with adoption but that she wanted some biological kids too. We agreed a long time ago that our perfect family would have 3 kids.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago. Whenever I bought up the topic of adoption, my wife would get quiet and avoid talking about it. At first I was worried it was something with the kid, like maybe being a mom had been much harder on her that I thought, but eventually I realized it was the topic of adoption which was making her uncomfortable. I tried getting her to tell me what was wrong, but she would keep saying nothing was wrong.

Finally I put my foot down, I said I could tell something was wrong with her and I pushed her to talk to me. She said she was upset about me wanting to adopt a kid, she said she didn't want a "stranger" living in our home with our kids.

My wife admitted she had never taught of adoption as "getting a kid" more like "being a foster family to parentless child". She said she didn't want to adopt because the kid wouldn't "really be hers" and she wouldn't have the same connection to it because she didn't make it. She said she didn't want "a stranger child" to scrounge on her love for her daughters and that "motherly love" wasn't something you could just give to anyone. Finally she said a kid isn't really your family unless you share a bloodbond.

I was incredibly upset about what she said, she made it seem like an adopted kid was like a nasty pet bought into a family. I asked if she had always felt this way or what, I also asked if she felt that way about my brother.

My wife admitted that, yes, she always thought my brother wasn't really my family. She even argued that since my brother still had his biological family, he had no business saying he was part of my family too, that he should have chosen one family and stuck to it.

I tried explaining to my wife why she was wrong, but she was like a toddler putting her hands on her ears and refusing to see my side of things. At some point she said something stupid like "go ahead then, if you can't live without it, then go and adopt your precious kid, I just don't want to be a part of it". To me, that made her seem like a maniac.

I told her this wasn't just about adoption anymore, I said this was about her lying to me and hiding her true feelings about a subject she knows is important to me, then she said she did so because she knew I would react this way about it.

At that point I walked away, the argument wasn't going anywhere. My wife hasn't really talked to me since then, but she isn't acting like she is upset or mad at me, more like she is waiting for me to get over it.

Right now, when I look at my wife I resent her. I resent her for hiding her feelings for me and I resent her for making me believe she agreed with me on what our family was going to be like when obviously she didn't.

Like a kick in the nut, this morning she had a public conversation with her sister on her facebook, talking about how it was time to make our 3rd kid before we get too old (All of our family knows we want to have 3 kids, not sure whatever they know "we" wanted to adopt one).

I really don't know what to do from here on. I don't want to break my family apart, I mean, I want my kids to be happy, but I also feel like something inside of me has been torn out and replaced by something awful.

What do I do?

TL;DR Wife admitted she didn't want to adopt and didn't consider my brother, who is adopted, my real family. Not sure what I should do from here.

What should he do? :murder:

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Yeah my mom kept her maiden name and hyphenated her kids' names. It's always been a total pain in the rear end, I'm going the traditional route if I get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [38/F] wife [38/M] change her mind on adoption. She said a bunch of mean/hurtful things about it to me. I am seriously worried about how this will affect our relationship.

What should he do? :murder:

Have a public conversation on facebook with his adopted brother about how he thinks his wife's 38 year old womb is probably now riddled with the possibility of autism and he's going to go get a vasectomy.