Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

Do you find RTSs fun? It's like the beginner version of one of those. But the trade off for not having to control anything is that most of the game is obviously out of your control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

Brain damage, and they aren't. And I say that as someone who plays mobas.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I like shooting the poo poo with my friends over voice chat while we play as neat-looking characters and fighting against AI.

I am not the typical MOBA player given that I prefer playing against AI because I recognize I'm not actually good enough to go against humans and the fun I have is using the game as a kind of fun conversation thing with friends.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess the NDA on Quake Champions is up. The shooting looks like Quake but the gun models are insanely ugly and theres 3 different kinds of currnecy and loot boxes and 8 layers of unnecessary bullshit on top, thankfully. Gotta love modern gaming!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will probably play it though because it will be free and its fun to frag.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cromartie High School is another really good anime (make sure to watch the dub)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

They aren't enjoyable. Gamers are just brain damaged people.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Revolutionary Girl Utena is cool and good

Tatami Galaxy continues to be my favorite tho

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

I guess the NDA on Quake Champions is up. The shooting looks like Quake but the gun models are insanely ugly and theres 3 different kinds of currnecy and loot boxes and 8 layers of unnecessary bullshit on top, thankfully. Gotta love modern gaming!

So what are the 8 layers?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heroes, Abilities, Cosmetics, Crafting, Daily Missions, etc.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
MOBAs let you be a terrible human being to people on and off your team at the same time for 40 minutes and no one is allowed to leave. It's truly amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macarius Wrench posted:

Well, any suggestions?
You are making a dangerous request with such a vague question, but I would either recommend asking in the anime recommendation thread which often gives good results, or just start with the "I am new to anime/manga and don't know where to start" page on the ADTRWiki.

If you enjoy sci-fi and politicking in a show that kind of predicted a bunch of the political poo poo going on in the last decade like two decades beforehand, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the best shows of all time, animated or otherwise. It also has one of the oldest threads on the entire SA forums.

edit: it's got one of my favorite characters of anything, Yang Wenli. This is one of my favorite scenes in the show.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 2, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only reason why I play HotS is just to dress up my pretty princess Blizzard characters, and I'd rather if you could just select 5 of them at a time to play the matches for you like the war table missions in WoW.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Quake Champions got me to remember Quake Live still exists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

That sucks. :/ I miss the days of Quake 2 when people were making tons of mods. I wish someone would bring that back. I guess Epic Games is trying to do that with the new Unreal Tournament but I have no idea what the status of that title is at.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Quake Champions got me to remember Quake Live still exists.

I like Quake Live a lot but the population is really low. I hope Champions has server browser and mod support...but it probably won't...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saint Freak posted:

Do you find RTSs fun? It's like the beginner version of one of those. But the trade off for not having to control anything is that most of the game is obviously out of your control.

I guess that's why I find it so baffling that I can't figure out what's supposed to be fun about them, because I really like RTS campaign modes. I even like SC2's campaign, though the Human part is way too basic and boring for way too long. Zerg and Protoss campaigns are super fun though still not as fun as Frozen Throne's campaign

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Its the power curve. When you have a great match of dota 2 you feel kind of god like yet when you have a poor one you feel so fragile. I'm terms of sheer dopamine activation no game comes close to going ham in dota 2 and feeling unstoppable.

Conversely most other games dont have that kind of buzz. Horizon is very pretty but there is no buzz. Diablo hits the dopamine with its loot being drip fed to you but its just not that big a hit.

I could totally get someone playing a game or 2 of dota and outright hating it, i felt that way after my first game 5 years ago and didn't pay again for a month but i came back and while the hits are extremely gratifying, the lows are the worst moments I've had playing videogames

Add to that that a couple of my real life friends play occasional matches with me and the captivating professional scene and joy of watching the game being played at a high level and that's why i like games like Dota 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You get that exact same feeling from any competitive multiplayer game and you don't need to waste 1+ hour of your life every time at a chance of that feeling in other games where matches are 5 minutes long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Personally I only get that multiplayer rush from 1v1 games, once teammates are involved then it's impossible to analyze the full extent of why you won/lost. I also think listening to grown men become upset over Mumble because their video game waifus are dying is about the most pathetic thing all of in human existence.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its the power curve. When you have a great match of dota 2 you feel kind of god like yet when you have a poor one you feel so fragile. I'm terms of sheer dopamine activation no game comes close to going ham in dota 2 and feeling unstoppable.

Conversely most other games dont have that kind of buzz. Horizon is very pretty but there is no buzz. Diablo hits the dopamine with its loot being drip fed to you but its just not that big a hit.

I could totally get someone playing a game or 2 of dota and outright hating it, i felt that way after my first game 5 years ago and didn't pay again for a month but i came back and while the hits are extremely gratifying, the lows are the worst moments I've had playing videogames

Add to that that a couple of my real life friends play occasional matches with me and the captivating professional scene and joy of watching the game being played at a high level and that's why i like games like Dota 2.

Fighting games are pretty intense

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm going back in my time machine to destroy crafting, mobas and pixel art

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

You get that exact same feeling from any competitive multiplayer game and you don't need to waste 1+ hour of your life every time

I don't. First person shooters just do not click with me on any even semi skilled kind of level. Even Starcraft bores me after half a dozen matches. Rocket League is fantastic but again after 20 minutes I'm done. Yeah the match length is maybe a negative for some but that's dota for you.

Also dont like the notion that its a waste. The opportunity cost is only things that I would otherwise do in my leisure time which is mostly videogames which are all a waste of time really.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

I think this is different for different people and different mobas. League is more accessible and shorter than Dota, so it captures that "play with your friends as a team" feeling that the gaming industry has mostly abandoned. League also has plenty of skill shots that give you instant gratification. Dota really rewards awareness and knowledge more than flat out skill on the pub level which is why i have 2500+ hours in it. I feel less like I played better when I win and more like I played smarter. Smite is kind of inbetween the two, at least when i last played.

They also have a lot of variety. Even with dotas one map, it would take 60k people playing 24/7 roughly 4 trillion years to play matches with every combination of hero, let alone skill builds, item builds, and farm priority. Assuming i didnt terribly gently caress up my math.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Personally I only get that multiplayer rush from 1v1 games, once teammates are involved then it's impossible to analyze the full extent of why you won/lost. I also think listening to grown men become upset over Mumble because their video game waifus are dying is about the most pathetic thing all of in human existence.

Yeah but in 1v1 games you can't deflect all your failings onto random strangers, permanently forestalling any chances of personal growth

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Fighting games are pretty intense

I used to love fighting games man but i kinda fell off with them around soul calibur 2s release because i don't have anyone irl to go all voldo 420 on.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I like the warm fuzzies from when a team gels well together

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah but in 1v1 games you can't deflect all your failings onto random strangers, permanently forestalling any chances of personal growth

Let us never forget the venerable origin of the MOBA: Warcraft 3 for people who couldn't handle controlling more than one unit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

precision posted:

I guess that's why I find it so baffling that I can't figure out what's supposed to be fun about them, because I really like RTS campaign modes. I even like SC2's campaign, though the Human part is way too basic and boring for way too long. Zerg and Protoss campaigns are super fun though still not as fun as Frozen Throne's campaign

Loads of people don't have either the coordination or the mental capacity to play those games. DotA2 has a feature that will let you not just spectate a player in a game, but straight up see their screen/where they are looking/where their mouse is/etc. and it doesn't take long at all to see people that can't even control the camera + 1 unit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You've never heard people say that their opponent is playing cheap overpowered stuff the wrong way? I envy you, friend!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fighting games and MOBAs are different and imo it is unfair to compare them on any level past surface level "these are things with esports communities"

Fighting games have an emphasis on learning a variety of different moves and using a very limited space to use your moves and exploit your enemy's openings. MOBAs are more about a team of people working out how best to tack a separate team of people and trying to find some degree of order in the chaos likely to follow. You have a larger area to work with and different roles the player can take in helping the team and there is an emphasis on being able to cripple the enemy team without necessarily harming the enemy directly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Let us never forget the venerable origin of the MOBA: Warcraft 3 for people who couldn't handle controlling more than one unit.

This implies that Warcraft 3 required you to use more than one unit most of the time, which is false.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You've never heard people say that their opponent is playing cheap overpowered stuff the wrong way? I envy you, friend!

Yeah but now you get to blame the 4 other people on your team and your 5 opponents for picking bad/OP heroes! That's like 9 whole more degrees of separation between you and admitting you're bad at video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nasgate posted:

This implies that Warcraft 3 required you to use more than one unit most of the time, which is false.

Son I averaged 150 APM back in the day, those Huntresses don't mass themselves you know.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but now you get to blame the 4 other people on your team and your 5 opponents for picking bad/OP heroes! That's like 9 whole more degrees of separation between you and admitting you're bad at video games.

The degrees of seperation don't make it any more or less likely that a player is gonna offload the blame to someone or something else, that's just a consequence of who the player is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

IMO the people who would do that would never admit they were screwing up in the first place so it doesn't really matter what game they're playing.

Lots of multiplayer communities for games are lovely. MOBAs I guess might be more vocal, idk, but their worst don't seem any worse than any other competitive game group's worst people. At the end of the day, people find it fun and entertaining, and it is ok to not understand why people would find it fun, but at the end of the day there are people that are clearly having fun with it so it doesn't really matter how much a person claims the genre isn't fun and everyone who has fun with it is wrong. They're having fun with it so whatevs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can somebody explain the whole Fate/Stay Night series. As a fan of Persona and fake history, would I like it? All I know about it is some vague memory of the PM (pre-meme) era 4chan Unlimited Blade Works joke.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

Cromartie High School is another really good anime (make sure to watch the dub)

Cromartie and One Punch Man are probably the only anime series I've enjoyed watching in like, the last decade.

Inferno Cop is also pretty good, but not really for the same reasons. It's basically Axe Cop the animated series... though "animated" might be pushing it a bit.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 2, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Son I averaged 150 APM back in the day, those Huntresses don't mass themselves you know.

A large mass of huntresses hmmm? Be a shame if they got hit with a firestorm/blizzard/other stupid powerful spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The degrees of seperation don't make it any more or less likely that a player is gonna offload the blame to someone or something else, that's just a consequence of who the player is.

They just end up hollering about wallhax or lag or whatever in my experience.

• Locked thread