Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bezos funding a Bozo. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/16y3zUd.gifv

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bezos funding a Bozo. Makes sense.

Amazon is not super-competent internally, at least not on the AWS side, and looking at some of the fulfillment centers...The S3 outage was pretty drat amazing because of the reach that the mandated tool they fat-fingered.

They're learning pretty much as they go; beware that signing bonus is golden handcuffs...

On Goony obsessional news;

Fuzzy is apparently changing his plea at 3:15pm Fairbanks time. Future hearings have been vacated, so they might have reached an agreement on how deep his poo poo will be. Your court reporter will be F5'ing sporadically over the next few days.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Same post

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure that $50m CIG got back last year was from amazon. I know derek continued to say "no no no amazon isnt partnered with them" but its looking to me like amazon is pretty much their publisher

AFAIK they are neither an investor, nor a publisher in Star Citizen.

Amazon is a public company. They are required to disclose any such deals either in SEC filings (it doesn't exist) or investor briefings. It's the law. Just ask MoMa.

I am an AMZ investor. I would know.

And I don't know where you got that they "received $50m" last year. Whoever told you that, is probably feeding you horseshit as usual. That aside from the fact that with $50m and the $36m they received in 2016, no way they would be pulling all the recent desperate tactics to raise money in 2017.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Xaerael posted:

PSA to all thread readers.

Don't crack a rib.

It loving hurts.

End of PSA.

Not true. Ive never cracked a rib but i know it doesnt hurt. Stop spreading FUD. You dont know anything about rib cracking development.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

What's the context here?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hav posted:

Amazon is not super-competent internally, at least not on the AWS side, and looking at some of the fulfillment centers...The S3 outage was pretty drat amazing because of the reach that the mandated tool they fat-fingered.

They're learning pretty much as they go; beware that signing bonus is golden handcuffs...

Fuzzy is apparently changing his plea at 3:15pm Fairbanks time. Future hearings have been vacated, so they might have reached an agreement on how deep his poo poo will be. Your court reporter will be F5'ing sporadically over the next few days.

Who is fuzzy again?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

I told you he was going to take a plea bargain. There is no way he was going to stand up through each and every single charge in a jury trial and come out of this clean. gently caress that guy and I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his days.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

I've been gaming since the late 80s and have never heard of any of those games aside from wing commander

#1 hits my rear end
I've heard of Match Day because it was on the good old Speccy. Stryker's Run and Wizadore were only on the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron, which I don't remember being massively popular gaming machines (I could be wrong, but the big 8 bit machines for me were the Speccy and C64). Best bit about Match Day though is that saying Roberts was the developer is horse poo poo. He was responsible for the port to the BBC Micro, but the game was created by Jon Ritman, who was a pretty big deal in Speccy games.

Interesting bit from Wikipedia about Stryker's Run:

quote:

The game was originally developed and coded by Chris Roberts and Philip Meller on the BBC Micro with additional graphics by Nick Elms.[1] As the game pushed the limits of the hardware, certain elements had to be left out of the standard version and Stryker's Run became the first game released to include an enhanced version for the newly released BBC Master. As well as extra in-game graphics, this version adds a title screen with music, a high score table, on-screen instructions and user-defined controls.
So even in the 80s, Roberts was basically incapable of working within the limitations of hardware.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

grimcreaper posted:

Who is fuzzy again?

Star Trek fan

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Xaerael posted:

Don't crack a rib.

It loving hurts.

End of PSA.

Also, PSA, don't drop a 200 pound air conditioner on your shin while carrying it down steps. My leg still isn't right 6 months later.

Get a hand truck. It's worth it.

These people sure do invest a whole lot of time in writing a bunch of bullshit.

If I were going to write that much, I'd want to get paid for it.

Case in point. Fuuuck.

XK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 2, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

your gifs are great but this is top draw

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wait. Is this one of those "not all star trek fans are pedos but all pedos are star trek fans" Jokes?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

The amount of time it loving hurts for can exceed a month.

The amount of time any cracked — as opposed to outright broken — bone hurts can exceed any reasonable time.

It turns out that the tiny little bone inside your hand that connects to your pinky is used extensively to balance out the rest of the hand. Have a fun time doing anything more complicated than sucking your thumb for a month when that one gets banged up.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Xaerael posted:

Don't crack a rib.

It loving hurts.

End of PSA.

I splurged and cracked two ribs. This was 10 years ago. Even though it's fully healed and back to normal, the area still feels strange where the fractures occurred.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time to post this again, I suppose…

An outright insane person posted:

Recently, I watched the film Heart of Darkness, which chronicled the tremendous struggles that Francis Ford Coppola went through in crating Apocalypse Now. In many ways, the creation of Strike Commander has helped me identify with his plight.

It was two and half years ago, just after the release of Wing Commander, that I started out on what I then estimated to be a one-year project. I set out to create an industry shattering flight simulator that would encompass a revolutionary new 3-D system, a system that I planned to use for Wing Commander III and hoped would form the basis of a whole new generation of ORIGIN games. This system, which we later named RealSpace™, became the heart of Strike Commander. To make RealSpace truly revolutionary we decided to gamble on two major graphics techniques: Gouraud shading and texture mapping. Both of these techniques are used extensively on high-end military flight simulators costing millions of dollars. Their application gives rendered 3-D images a much more realistic and fluid appearance. Because of the power needed to implement such a 3-D system, nobody had previously dreamed of doing so on a PC. For us to pull off this software, we knew we had to make some risky assumptions. First, that the power-to-price ratio of PCs would continue to decline, thereby delivering affordable PCs of adequate speed to our target market. Second, and more importantly, that the same forces that had created a demand for Wing Commander — those power-hungry 386 owners — would generate a demand for games that exploited the next generation of PCs, the 486. When creating Wing Commander, there were many who doubted the game would sell because of their lack of faith in the high-end PC market. This time, however, everyone believed in the market and, as time went on, the doubts revolved around our ability to create the engine.

In the spirit of wanting it all, we set out to design a game that would have more realism than the best flight simulator, better storytelling, more fun and more accessibility than Wing Commander, and the best sound effects, music and graphics of any game ever created. Our biggest mistake was thinking that we could achieve all of this in a single year. Our biggest setback was the realization that it would take more than two. But our journey had begun and there was no turning back. Perhaps the greatest heartbreak came months after the Consumer Electronics Show in June 1991. Believing ourselves to be a few months from completion, we showed a demo of Strike in front of the press and our competitors. Months later, we were little closer to completion, but a subtle change had come over our competitors’ development plans. All of the sudden, parts of the technology we had shown at CES were showing up in their software. It wasn’t as if they had stolen our ideas — after all, the techniques we used to make RealSpace revolutionary for PCs are very well known in the high-end graphics field. The trouble was that nobody believed it could be done on the PC. With a single ill-timed demo, we had changed that belief and inadvertently given our competitors a heads-up on where we wanted to take the industry a full year and a half before we arrived there. During these revelations it was difficult to resist the temptation to push Strike out early and prevent our competitors from stealing any more of our thunder. But to stop short of our vision would have been unacceptable. We were in the middle of our journey and were determined to complete it, regardless of what lay ahead. And what lay ahead was the hardest part: long hours, short tempers and huge expectations.

In hindsight, knowing what a truly Herculean task Strike Commander turned into, the heartache and disappointment it created when its release date was constantly pushed back, and the amount of time from our personal lives that it consumed, we probably should have designed it differently. We wouldn’t have tried to do quite as much or shot quite as high. In our arrogance we had set out to create something that was not only better than everything else, it was several orders of magnitude bettre. And it was several orders of magnitude more expensive as well — in fact, the most expensive game ORIGIN has ever developed. Like Francis Ford Coppola and his film crew on Apocalypse Now, we knew we were in way over our heads, but we also knew there was no turning back.

And now, a little humbler, we’ve reached the end of our long and arduous journey. We look at Strike Commander and see a game that every member of the team can say, “Yes, it was two years of hell, but at the end of it we’ve created something that is very special and I’m proud of it.” I have never seen such selfless dedication from such talented individuals as the team that created it. Strike Commander is the game it is because of them. Each time I think about the dark circles under my eyes, the unshaven beards, the late night pizzas and the neglected spouses and girlfriends, I wonder what it is that makes us do this. One reason might be that the entire Strike Commander team , which has grown to as many as twenty people, are all avid computer game players. We buy and play our competitors’ games, looking forward to the latest developments in our field. If we weren’t writing games as a profession, we would be hating our day jobs and writing them at night. I hope this makes us as demanding and discriminating as anyone that plays our games. Although it sounds clichéd, for us it is much more than a job. I can think of no greater pride it would bring a team member than to have someone approach him at a computer store and tell him that Strike Commander was the best game they’ve ever played.

We hope you’ll agree.

…if I could be arsed, I'd find my list of things he gets wrong in this, but I can't. Suffice to say: everything related to computers, game development, and the gaming industry.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Wait. Is this one of those "not all star trek fans are pedos but all pedos are star trek fans" Jokes?

Fuzzy raped his daughter. Still not sure why people think it's funny.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MilesK posted:

He designed a space ship jpeg, so it all balances out.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tippis posted:

Time to post this again, I suppose…

…if I could be arsed, I'd find my list of things he gets wrong in this, but I can't. Suffice to say: everything related to computers, game development, and the gaming industry.

Francis Ford Crobbler.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Agent what ever happened to opening a studio in Brno?
thems were the leaks at the time, no idea what's going on nowadays

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

God I hope OldSchoolCmdr responds to that wall of poo. It will be amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

thems were the leaks at the time, no idea what's going on nowadays

Neither does Roberts. You are in good company.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MilesK posted:

Holy hell thats awfull. Here i am complaining about waiting in the jury assembly room for 2 hours and then i read that and it puts some poo poo into perspective.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, a guy who identifies himself as being an old dude that used to love space sims has a name that heavily implies he's an old Elite 84 grognard, but the simplest answer is he's probably Derek Smart because he is concerned about Star Citizen. Allow me to tell you why in 10,000 words or more.

Seriously, at this point how have they not figured out that none of us have the energy to do something like that?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

AFAIK they are neither an investor, nor a publisher in Star Citizen.

Amazon is a public company. They are required to disclose any such deals either in SEC filings (it doesn't exist) or investor briefings. It's the law. Just ask MoMa.

I am an AMZ investor. I would know.

And I don't know where you got that they "received $50m" last year. Whoever told you that, is probably feeding you horseshit as usual. That aside from the fact that with $50m and the $36m they received in 2016, no way they would be pulling all the recent desperate tactics to raise money in 2017.
oh derek :sigh:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

grimcreaper posted:

Holy hell thats awfull. Here i am complaining about waiting in the jury assembly room for 2 hours and then i read that and it puts some poo poo into perspective.

I was in the jury for some guy who execution style merked a random lady in a mall parking lot after shoplifting some stuff. Capital punishment case. Pleaded out moments before trial. I suppose random murder is worse than sex crimes, but it really does reorient your view on things to have something like that thrown in your lap.

I came a choice away from legally killing a dude.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

Appreciate jury duty. If it is your first time you learn quite a bit. Especially if the venue is space court.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I love how the station ring physics just keep getting more broken as time goes on. First they were reversing and having the decals desync, then they started wobbling into a wrong access and now they've left the station entirely. It really hints at how broken the code for SC is, and how it's getting worse as time goes on.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I have a .txt of some of my favorite posts, this is not a great storage mechanism however as I think I already lost the earliest version.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.
lol

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago we had a lot of fun theory-crafting how CIG was going to handle instances and players. This was before they went fully open and demonstrated that they could barely handle 20 people in an entire solar system, and instead every encounter would be an instance like a match in Arena Commander. Was an instance going to be player-limited or ship-limited? If it was ship limited, did a player going EVA "count" as a ship? What about NPCs? How would CIG balance the load inside an instance so that one team didn't simply fill it up and the other side would be outnumbered? Unfortunately none of these questions were ever answered, and given CIG's inability to deliver netcode I suspect they never will. The difference between a ship and player-limited instance was pretty critical. If the instance was player limited then it made sense to have everyone be in small ships to maximize individual firepower. On the other hand if the instance was ship limited then throwing a large number of bigger ships with more players made sense. My favorite bit of theory crafting was that, if CIG limited instances by the number of ships, then the easiest way to crash the server would be to take a transport ship full of players and dump them into space.

I miss those days.
:yaycloud:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh, I didn't see this one. I thought they smashed this bug by removing the rings rotation. Guess they'll need to head back to the drawing board.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

I was in the jury for some guy who execution style merked a random lady in a mall parking lot after shoplifting some stuff. Capital punishment case. Pleaded out moments before trial. I suppose random murder is worse than sex crimes, but it really does reorient your view on things to have something like that thrown in your lap.

I came a choice away from legally killing a dude.

Served on a domestic battery case. No one cared.

Served on a murder trial for a 16 year old kid that was stabbed when a party went bad. Knife went into his spine and chipped bone his spinal column. Anyways, before juror selection they read out the charges. Not much happened in the courtroom.

Got picked to serve on another one, Fuzzy style charges. When the charges were read there were loud gasps in the courtroom. I got called to the box, but got kicked. Probably because I had kids and the defense didn't like how I answered questions. I could tell the prosecution really didn't have physical evidence based on their questioning. (After a few days, he was found not guilty)

Not sure what I'm adding to your moral dilemma, but just to give my two cents what the court of public opinion is.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Oh, lord.

OK, for anyone who stumbles on this thread and the above statement, here's a rundown of what happened before the OP was removed. TLDR: Based on available evidence, chances of this being an actual random person interested in SC are very low, chances of it being a random Goon trying to entertain himself or a specific individual named Derek Smart are very, very high.

OSC makes his post, a person who says they've followed SC a bit but see some things they have questions about. Seems mostly innocent unless you're familiar with SC/CIG/Derek Smart/Goon history. If you are familiar with that history, there's some patterns that always emerge, things they try to harp on, recurring statements. I'll cover them and why OSC seems particularly questionable.
  1. All the questions were things not easily answered from the nature of the question or seemed somewhat positive but with significant negative connotations (AKA "negging" from the MRA crowd) such as "I notice we're getting moons, but they seem to be taking the planets away". This is a typical tactic of the DeREk Goon Set (hereafter referred to as DREGS). Pick something that has been delayed or changed and try to make that seem as important as possible. Also add in things that haven't even been covered but sound spooky like "have they scaled down the universe" and "the backers seem to be controlling the scope". These things are known in the land of online bullshit purveying as "just asking questions". It's a way to lead people around in a predictable way to try and set a narrative up without being obvious about your intentions. So instead of saying "The money coming in looks short to me and won't cover salaries for long" he said "So what happens if they can no longer raise enough money to pay all those 428 people? That's a lot of people. Doesn't that mean that we won't be getting anything shortly after 3.0?". This is a very basic tactic of "I'm worried about this aspect, so I'm just asking questions."
  2. Not one single question that would be simple to answer or be minimal in scope. You'd think someone with numerous questions would have at least a couple that would be quick answers like about skins or using the hangars or weapon swapping. But not one.
  3. And both the above are odd since OSC says he's been reading the forums and posted a link to a thread days old. Seems like many of those questions were covered in varying amounts in that time frame or that, at a minimum, OSC could have ferreted them out easily enough. In fact, he gave some awfully specific information, like stuff you have to search for specifically, while failing to come up with some answers. Having select esoteric information accompanying pointed controversial questions is suspicious.
  4. Any questions to OSCs veracity is met with righteous indignation or sad shaking of the head, with "this is unfortunate for a community", hopeful both at the same time! Which is exactly what we got, naturally. You'd think there'd be puzzlement or just baseline denial, but that's not going to generate sympathy for them.
  5. Extra helpings of "You guys should do something about the negativity" in order to try and forestall any doubts to their current narrative or any future attempts to "just ask questions". Naturally, negativity about the GAME is fine. Negativity about questionable posters, not so much. Check.
    Then there's OSC himself. And this is where all the above takes on the extra suspicious context.
  6. New user. Check. Not someone who already has a reddit account to use. Not someone who decides to ask these questions on an official board. No. Someone who happens to be a new user here and wants to "just ask questions". By itself not a lot, but...
  7. OldSchoolCmdr. This is an amalgam of a name Derek Smart (DS) used online; SupremeCommander, and something he calls himself; Old School dev/game dev/indie game dev/ etc. The chances of someone just happening to pick a name like this is really, really low.
  8. OSC mentioned knowing of DS. That's not something that is real common in the game community. He has done little of note to bring him to a gamer's attention EXCEPT pick a massive fight with SC. So another "coincidence".
  9. Lists no significant bad connotation associated with DS, which is also very odd. Most carbon base lifeforms will find him to onerous to tolerate for longer than a minute and a half, the exception being people entertained by his tilting at SC and DS himself.
  10. States that "someone linked him to r/dereksmart". Possible. But much more possible he already knew very well about r/ds. But if no one mentions it here in the thread before he happened to bring it up.
  11. Mentions DS forum to talk about SC on. Like, 3 people know about that forum, and that's including DS. Another coincidence!
  12. OSC blocks anyone who he doesn't like. This is classic DS whose skin is notoriously thin. It also makes it very convenient to not have to field any questions from people who pay attention and can bring heat. Someone asks you about something you really don't want to answer, call them haters, stick your fingers in your ears, and go "LALALALA!!" as loud as possible.
  13. According to DS himself, OSC linked him to this thread at almost the exact same time he posted it here. From someone who says little about DS, that seems really, REALLY suspect. Why anyone would do that, unless they were specifically expecting this outcome, is beyond the ken of mortal science.
So "I'm not this DS guy. I ask his questions, I block people like him, I know about the r/ds sub, I know about his own forum, I use a name built of identities he uses, but I'm totally not him."

Yeah. Having trouble with that here in reality.

Chances that these things are all coincidence... Near zero. It's too many blocks that would have to fall just right to get to this point. Chances this is either DS or a cohort starting poo poo for him... extremely high. DS knew about this thread before most members of r/starcitizen did! I mean, c'mon.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean, c'mon.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If that oldschoolcommander guy is a troll he forgot the first rule of trolling. Your level of success is determined by how little effort (and how normal you are) you put in compared to the reaction it gets.

I ain't writing a 5 page essay to stir up reddit. I'll just post "Star citizen is bad" or c/p a funny post here.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh, lord.

OK, for anyone who stumbles on this thread and the above statement, here's a rundown of what happened before the OP was removed. TLDR: Based on available evidence, chances of this being an actual random person interested in SC are very low, chances of it being a random Goon trying to entertain himself or a specific individual named Derek Smart are very, very high.

OSC makes his post, a person who says they've followed SC a bit but see some things they have questions about. Seems mostly innocent unless you're familiar with SC/CIG/Derek Smart/Goon history. If you are familiar with that history, there's some patterns that always emerge, things they try to harp on, recurring statements. I'll cover them and why OSC seems particularly questionable.
  1. All the questions were things not easily answered from the nature of the question or seemed somewhat positive but with significant negative connotations (AKA "negging" from the MRA crowd) such as "I notice we're getting moons, but they seem to be taking the planets away". This is a typical tactic of the DeREk Goon Set (hereafter referred to as DREGS). Pick something that has been delayed or changed and try to make that seem as important as possible. Also add in things that haven't even been covered but sound spooky like "have they scaled down the universe" and "the backers seem to be controlling the scope". These things are known in the land of online bullshit purveying as "just asking questions". It's a way to lead people around in a predictable way to try and set a narrative up without being obvious about your intentions. So instead of saying "The money coming in looks short to me and won't cover salaries for long" he said "So what happens if they can no longer raise enough money to pay all those 428 people? That's a lot of people. Doesn't that mean that we won't be getting anything shortly after 3.0?". This is a very basic tactic of "I'm worried about this aspect, so I'm just asking questions."
  2. Not one single question that would be simple to answer or be minimal in scope. You'd think someone with numerous questions would have at least a couple that would be quick answers like about skins or using the hangars or weapon swapping. But not one.
  3. And both the above are odd since OSC says he's been reading the forums and posted a link to a thread days old. Seems like many of those questions were covered in varying amounts in that time frame or that, at a minimum, OSC could have ferreted them out easily enough. In fact, he gave some awfully specific information, like stuff you have to search for specifically, while failing to come up with some answers. Having select esoteric information accompanying pointed controversial questions is suspicious.
  4. Any questions to OSCs veracity is met with righteous indignation or sad shaking of the head, with "this is unfortunate for a community", hopeful both at the same time! Which is exactly what we got, naturally. You'd think there'd be puzzlement or just baseline denial, but that's not going to generate sympathy for them.
  5. Extra helpings of "You guys should do something about the negativity" in order to try and forestall any doubts to their current narrative or any future attempts to "just ask questions". Naturally, negativity about the GAME is fine. Negativity about questionable posters, not so much. Check.
    Then there's OSC himself. And this is where all the above takes on the extra suspicious context.
  6. New user. Check. Not someone who already has a reddit account to use. Not someone who decides to ask these questions on an official board. No. Someone who happens to be a new user here and wants to "just ask questions". By itself not a lot, but...
  7. OldSchoolCmdr. This is an amalgam of a name Derek Smart (DS) used online; SupremeCommander, and something he calls himself; Old School dev/game dev/indie game dev/ etc. The chances of someone just happening to pick a name like this is really, really low.
  8. OSC mentioned knowing of DS. That's not something that is real common in the game community. He has done little of note to bring him to a gamer's attention EXCEPT pick a massive fight with SC. So another "coincidence".
  9. Lists no significant bad connotation associated with DS, which is also very odd. Most carbon base lifeforms will find him to onerous to tolerate for longer than a minute and a half, the exception being people entertained by his tilting at SC and DS himself.
  10. States that "someone linked him to r/dereksmart". Possible. But much more possible he already knew very well about r/ds. But if no one mentions it here in the thread before he happened to bring it up.
  11. Mentions DS forum to talk about SC on. Like, 3 people know about that forum, and that's including DS. Another coincidence!
  12. OSC blocks anyone who he doesn't like. This is classic DS whose skin is notoriously thin. It also makes it very convenient to not have to field any questions from people who pay attention and can bring heat. Someone asks you about something you really don't want to answer, call them haters, stick your fingers in your ears, and go "LALALALA!!" as loud as possible.
  13. According to DS himself, OSC linked him to this thread at almost the exact same time he posted it here. From someone who says little about DS, that seems really, REALLY suspect. Why anyone would do that, unless they were specifically expecting this outcome, is beyond the ken of mortal science.
So "I'm not this DS guy. I ask his questions, I block people like him, I know about the r/ds sub, I know about his own forum, I use a name built of identities he uses, but I'm totally not him."

Yeah. Having trouble with that here in reality.

Chances that these things are all coincidence... Near zero. It's too many blocks that would have to fall just right to get to this point. Chances this is either DS or a cohort starting poo poo for him... extremely high. DS knew about this thread before most members of r/starcitizen did! I mean, c'mon.

I really hope whoever wrote all that got paid. Otherwise, sad!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

If that oldschoolcommander guy is a troll he forgot the first rule of trolling. Your level of success is determined by how little effort (and how normal you are) you put in compared to the reaction it gets.

I ain't writing a 5 page essay to stir up reddit. I'll just post "Star citizen is bad" or c/p a funny post here.

He got at least to idiots writing essay-length rebuttals, he's got heaps of talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013