Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

timefly posted:

I just wish I had just gotten my dad's last name instead. For one, my name doesn't fit on forms with boxes for each letter, so my name is cut in half and confusing. I have to sign with just initials or it takes forever. My mother's maiden name isn't a secure password question because it's part of my name. Et cetera. Wouldn't do that to my kid.

The maiden name thing as a pass I get but the length is something that plenty of people with foreign names have to deal with anyway. It always seemed like a few minor frustrations for me and I wouldn't begrudge my mom the ability to keep her name and share it with her kids. Same with my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Lol at how dumb these guys are for blowing up their lives to gently caress a 20 year old with daddy issues. Paying alimony and child support for 20 years and moving into a tiny 1 br apartment seems like a real step up.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Family life isn't for everyone

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booty game on point.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Leon Einstein posted:

^^^
He always was a goon, she just didn't notice.

That woman deserves her unhappiness. Young women always seem to fall for the upper 30s, mildly successful manchildren. Wtf.

I'm amazed at how much this dumb poo poo plays out and somehow they're always surprised that the guy willing to openly gently caress around on his wife and kids turns out the be a piece of poo poo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ugggh there was an incredible one that I was just pulling up on my phone to post but it's already deleted. This girl noticed her boyfriend had an attractive coworker, so she started a fight asking "why are you with me?" out of nowhere, then stalked the coworker, contacted the co-worker's ex, showed up at work and interrogated all the employees, the boyfriend broke up with her, they "started talking again", she stalked him, demanded to know his whereabouts, and now thinks it's very suspicious that he becomes annoyed and doesn't want to talk when she "casually" brings up the coworker. The boyfriend has not done anything with the coworker so far.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

luckily you can just name a child like, whatever you want

I [29 F] am pregnant with twins, my fiance [26 M] wants to give them stupid names.

u/queenbeef

I'll keep this short- I'm having twin boys. My fiance and I agreed that I would pick their first names and he would pick the middle names. I picked two cute, normal names that I thought would go well with his last name. He picked Batman and Spiderman. He is completely serious. He says these are the names he's always planned to give his children and he thinks that any little boy would love to have the middle name of a superhero.

My question is twofold- 1. How bad would it be if our sons had stupid middle names? Would it be something they resent? and 2. Is this worth an argument? I definitely think he's being an idiot but should I just get over it or should I try to stop this?

tl;dr: Should I let my fiance give our sons the middle names Batman and Spiderman?

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

poorlifedecision posted:

The maiden name thing as a pass I get but the length is something that plenty of people with foreign names have to deal with anyway. It always seemed like a few minor frustrations for me and I wouldn't begrudge my mom the ability to keep her name and share it with her kids. Same with my wife.

Sure, but I pretty much have to change my name, especially if I have kids. I am not creating triple-surnamed people

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ouhei posted:

I'm amazed at how much this dumb poo poo plays out and somehow they're always surprised that the guy willing to openly gently caress around on his wife and kids turns out the be a piece of poo poo.

In China, high level business men will often look down on men without mistresses, becuse it implies theyre too honest and dedicated to their family and unable to manage business dealings. By the same token, leaving your wife for your mistress implies youre too untrustworthy and make bad business decisions.

So even in a culture which condones this behavoir they know that cheaters are pieces of poo poo and its never a good idea to break up the marriage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

I [29 F] am pregnant with twins, my fiance [26 M] wants to give them stupid names.

u/queenbeef

I'll keep this short- I'm having twin boys. My fiance and I agreed that I would pick their first names and he would pick the middle names. I picked two cute, normal names that I thought would go well with his last name. He picked Batman and Spiderman. He is completely serious. He says these are the names he's always planned to give his children and he thinks that any little boy would love to have the middle name of a superhero.

My question is twofold- 1. How bad would it be if our sons had stupid middle names? Would it be something they resent? and 2. Is this worth an argument? I definitely think he's being an idiot but should I just get over it or should I try to stop this?

tl;dr: Should I let my fiance give our sons the middle names Batman and Spiderman?

Sever immediately

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boyfriend is a complete loving idiot.

To counter this, an extremelt eastern european gentleman I knew was able to get away with naming his child Bruca Vanya [last name] because a) nobody thinks it couldnt be a real name and b) when its in a foreign language people give it a pass. Dad up there should give them the middle names Parker and Wayne.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pnurtis and Pmurtis, all day every day.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

"So what does your middle initial B stand for?"

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

Lol at how dumb these guys are for blowing up their lives to gently caress a 20 year old with daddy issues. Paying alimony and child support for 20 years and moving into a tiny 1 br apartment seems like a real step up.

Exactly. It's so common in my lovely town. It's always the "peaked in HS" types that do it here.

I used to be a Cub Scout den leader, and just from that sampling there were three dads who hit 37-40 and decided to nail some young chick who was nice to them. Instead of just keeping it on the DL(still lovely), all of them upended their lives and moved into some dive apartment on the bad side of town. Nice going. I hope sabotaging your family and future was worth having awkward sex with your kids' babysitter one time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's called a midlife crisis and that is a common manifestation of it

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Barudak posted:

To counter this, an extremelt eastern european gentleman I knew was able to get away with naming his child Bruca Vanya [last name] because a) nobody thinks it couldnt be a real name and b) when its in a foreign language people give it a pass. Dad up there should give them the middle names Parker and Wayne.

Never give your kid the name "Wayne"... he'll grow up to be a murderer.
http://www.newsoftheweird.com/wayne.html

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It sucks for everyone else in that story, but after learning he didn't leave his wife and was instead kicked out, I had to laugh at the dude getting karmic retribution for his bullshit by losing everything in his life and having to live in a tiny apartment with his twenty year old mistress who it turns out he actually hates.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Axolotl posted:

Seems like Texas is overrepresented

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

why gently caress the babysitter when you can marry somebody who will be the babysitter forever

Wife (31,f) thinks I (32,m) should chase her when she walks away from an argument

quote:

When we get into an argument, she sometimes walks away from me and goes into the bedroom. Later, she comes out of the bedroom and is angry I didn't go after her. I tell her that 1) If she wants to talk, then she shouldn't walk away 2) If she needs a few minutes (which is fine), I'm not going to push her 3) I don't want her to feel trapped if I'm standing in the doorway when we're arguing (she's always talking about how it's intimidating to be a woman when arguing with a man).

I asked how I'm supposed to know what to do and she said "You're a grown man in a relationship, you should know".

This is a recurring argument between us. I try to see this from her perspective but I can't see a single explanation that would make her right. Am I missing something? I want to see things from her perspective so we stop arguing about it but I can't.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

why gently caress the babysitter when you can marry somebody who will be the babysitter forever

Wife (31,f) thinks I (32,m) should chase her when she walks away from an argument

I've been with a couple of women like this and it is extremely annoying and stupid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Axolotl posted:

Good thing its Vanya then.

Bruca Vanya does, to my uncultured ears, sound like a great name for a man bewitched by the powers of darkness to feast on the blood of the guilty.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Barudak posted:

Good thing its Vanya then.

Bruca Vanya does, to my uncultured ears, sound like a great name for a man bewitched by the powers of darkness to feast on the blood of the guilty.

Mind you, you did suggest the dad give the kids the middle names Parker and Wayne.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Axolotl posted:

Mind you, you did suggest the dad give the kids the middle names Parker and Wayne.

Ah, right I was thinking Vanya. Yeah maybe just choose Bruce.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bruca Vanya sounds like the name of some Russian who gets drunk and freezes to death after passing out in the street, imo

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

timefly posted:

Sure, but I pretty much have to change my name, especially if I have kids. I am not creating triple-surnamed people

Well god no don't do that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This will never get better and it places an unwinnable onus on the guy. Just get preemptive and install glue traps around the fastest ways out of the house.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Roll the R and use a hard C and it becomes some kind of beef-heavy italian dish. "Oh the wedding was in Tuscany, you say? And they didn't have any bruca vanya? Heh, well, it's nice that even the commoners get to travel these days.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

This will never get better and it places an unwinnable onus on the guy. Just get preemptive and install glue traps around the fastest ways out of the house.

Back her into a corner and place his arms on either side of her head, obviously

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Train posted:

Bruca Vanya sounds like the name of some Russian who gets drunk and freezes to death after passing out in the street, imo

So just like every other Russian name, then.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

So just like every other Russian name, then.

P much yea

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Barudak posted:

i had a relationship like this, eventually what I'd do is wait till they shut the door, then go up to it and announce that I'll be at X location when they're ready to continue. What this is is a bid for attention, they're overwhelmed verbally and trying to get some show of commitment or solidarity as a reassurance of the strength of the relationship. There's some subconscious thought process of "I'll do X and if they don't do Y it's because they don't care" so the trick is to short-circuit this logic trap by showing you care in a way that isn't Y. It's not "playing into their game" so much as "reframing their actions without their internal justification."

and by "had a relationship like this" i mean "i still do this and am always puzzled when people give me space, like I ask for."

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

Or Bruce and Peter.

My brother's middle name is Kirk. My mom claims he was named after a great uncle of hers, but my dad was a pretty big Star Trek fan too...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don't name your children after nerd poo poo it is no different or better than naming them after some random brand or car or champagne

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah not even Batman and Spiderman themselves have names as stupid as Batman and Spiderman

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah seems I didnt read closely enough and started projecting.

Knew someone in a relationship where the person would literally run away, like grab their things and bolt when you were finally distracted/far away from them, and not pick up the phone for hours and the game was supposed to be you hunt them down in a major metropolitan city to prove you still cared like Rom-Coms are real. That relationship didnt last when the second time they pulled this stunt the other person just stayed home and started watching TV waiting for them to turn up again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Exactly. It's so common in my lovely town. It's always the "peaked in HS" types that do it here.

I used to be a Cub Scout den leader, and just from that sampling there were three dads who hit 37-40 and decided to nail some young chick who was nice to them. Instead of just keeping it on the DL(still lovely), all of them upended their lives and moved into some dive apartment on the bad side of town. Nice going. I hope sabotaging your family and future was worth having awkward sex with your kids' babysitter one time.

What I wouldn't give to see the look of betrayal on their faces when they realize that she too ages, just like the last one! What a crock !!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Ah seems I didnt read closely enough and started projecting.

Knew someone in a relationship where the person would literally run away, like grab their things and bolt when you were finally distracted/far away from them, and not pick up the phone for hours and the game was supposed to be you hunt them down in a major metropolitan city to prove you still cared like Rom-Coms are real. That relationship didnt last when the second time they pulled this stunt the other person just stayed home and started watching TV waiting for them to turn up again.

Sounds like a girlfriend for Urban Smurf

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If you want to name your kid a nerdy thing, make it also normal.

Like naming your kid Luke. It's a normal name and a Star Wars thing. Just do something like that.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Blue Train posted:

I've been with a couple of women like this and it is extremely annoying and stupid

I just got rid of one. I'm not playing the "chase woman around the house who says she's fine over and over until she really tells me what's wrong" game anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pick posted:

What I wouldn't give to see the look of betrayal on their faces when they realize that she too ages, just like the last one! What a crock !!!!!

:colbert: Attractive women nether poop nor age, Pick.