Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

chrome os holds like 50% of us education market share

mainly because they only cost $300 and run everything the students need to do school stuff

lol if you think schools are going to buy $1000 laptops to give to a bunch of punk kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahahahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

mainly because they only cost $300 and run everything the students need to do school stuff

lol if you think schools are going to buy $1000 laptops to give to a bunch of punk kids
their home brand laptop is not meant for schools, its maybe for richer college students to bite some of that macbook pie with similar package. if you want to see school game, check like previous post - all the oems like acer asus msi and whatnot will just print sub-$300 laptops ad nauseum if they sell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

oh god back on outlook at new job, still baffled by awful ui decisions like "canceled drafts should count as unread mail"

outlook is so bad not just cause of the ui but the whole concept of pst files is loving stupid. I just use the win10 mail client and it works way better

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

outlook is so bad not just cause of the ui but the whole concept of pst files is loving stupid. I just use the win10 mail client and it works way better

my only win10 mail client complaint thus far is lack of ctrl+c/+v functionality

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's annoying. it works randomly.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

isn't that where it is in finder? or was, at some point

its consistent with finder but finder doesn't have a gulf of dead space from the spacing the ribbon creates and you don't usually have the finder window maximized while you usually do with outlook so the preview pane as room to function. its a poo poo place to put it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my only win10 mail client complaint thus far is lack of ctrl+c/+v functionality

lol.

seriously?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's annoying. it works randomly.

lmao. microsoft 2017: cut and paste works randomly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol.

seriously?
like shaggar says, its hit or miss

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

their home brand laptop is not meant for schools, its maybe for richer college students to bite some of that macbook pie with similar package. if you want to see school game, check like previous post - all the oems like acer asus msi and whatnot will just print sub-$300 laptops ad nauseum if they sell

i guarantee that, unless those are subsidized prices, they will be absolute garbage. you don't build a profitable $300 laptop with an intel chip unless you massively cut corners everywhere else.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Celeron smh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

i guarantee that, unless those are subsidized prices, they will be absolute garbage. you don't build a profitable $300 laptop with an intel chip unless you massively cut corners everywhere else.
looks like oems have been told to sell below $300

quote:

HP’s laptop is a new version of the ProBook x360 Education Edition, a rugged laptop with an 11.6-inch, 1366 x 768 display, Intel Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage. The laptop typically sells for $329 or more with full Windows 10, but it’s on sale right now for $299, so it’s not clear how great a deal this Windows 10 S model is going to be.

Acer’s introducing a new version of the TravelMate Spin B1 Convertible, a touchscreen laptop with an 11.6-inch, 1080p display, Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage — basically the same specs as HP’s, but with a touchscreen. The existing version of this laptop sells for $399.99, so this version is meaningfully cheaper. It also comes with a stylus.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow a stylus

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

wow a stylus

copying the best

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol a $1000 laptop running Windows ChromeOS Edition that doesn't even have USB-C much less Thunderbolt 3. What a bargain

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Linguica posted:

lol a $1000 laptop running Windows ChromeOS Edition that doesn't even have USB-C much less Thunderbolt 3. What a bargain

yeah but it's got a fuckin mat for a keyboard that you can wipe your fat cheeto hands on

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The_Franz posted:

just, like, on pure price, it's hard to compete with chromebooks

microsoft needs a cut, and chromebooks rely on cloud storage whereas windows 10 RT needs local storage

so chromebooks probably start with a 10-20% price advantage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

chromebooks rely on cloud storage whereas windows 10 RT needs local storage

how so?

onedrive is a thing, how is that functionally different from google drive?

the os resides on local storage either way, and chrome books do local caching

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

microsoft needs a cut, and chromebooks rely on cloud storage whereas windows 10 RT needs local storage

the low-power embedded celerons also list for around $100 when you buy in 1000 unit lots. that's probably a bit more than these companies are paying, but you will never get intel chips for arm prices.

there is at least one $180 chromebook out there too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I get that in excel all the time. doing nothing but copying data from one sheet to another or single cells with urls into ie, excel will complain that "the clipboard is in use by another program"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

looks like oems have been told to sell below $300

im cringing from the images of how bad these things are going to be i get when i read about them. the kids that have to suffer through them will swear off windows for life

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The_Franz posted:

the low-power embedded celerons also list for around $100 when you buy in 1000 unit lots. that's probably a bit more than these companies are paying, but you will never get intel chips for arm prices.

there is at least one $180 chromebook out there too

I think most Chromebooks are right around 2 bills and the fancier ones are the ones that are around 3

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

how so?

onedrive is a thing, how is that functionally different from google drive?

the os resides on local storage either way, and chrome books do local caching

:shrug:

chromebooks mostly seem to come with 16gb of onboard storage, and the new ~$300 model acer announced for spring comes with 32gb
windows 10 s machines come with 64gb+

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Chris Knight posted:

I get that in excel all the time. doing nothing but copying data from one sheet to another or single cells with urls into ie, excel will complain that "the clipboard is in use by another program"

It's kind of amazing how well copy and paste works between RDP sessions yet will often fail in basic poo poo like Office apps.

The mind boggles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

chromebooks mostly seem to come with 16gb of onboard storage, and the new ~$300 model acer announced for spring comes with 32gb

Windows 10 alone takes up well over 20 gigs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

presumably because anything running win 10 s is upgradable to win 10 pro, which will not be happy on 16gb flash

Chris Knight posted:

this broke hilariously for one of my clients that used excel/linked workbooks/vba scripting to scrape data from the web. turns out unless you manually open each workbook through the file->open dialog in a single excel window, it becomes impossible to paste into any but the most recent window, and switching between them will clear the clipboard or fill it with blank characters with the exact length of the copied data (excel 2016 on win 10)

as far as i can tell it's some ridiculous holdover form the day where workbooks were all modal windows within a single excel window (e.g. excel 2010 and earlier)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

not copy and paste, control+c. the shortcut is disabled in certain instances but you can always right click and copy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's also dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

none of this is windows rt plus there are non-Microsoft windows 10 s systems that are sub $300.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm guessing the usable space on a 64gb windows 10 64bit install is going to be functionally equivalent to a 32gb Chromebook

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poty posted:

im cringing from the images of how bad these things are going to be i get when i read about them. the kids that have to suffer through them will swear off windows for life

can't be worse than those vista systems which shipped with 512 megs of ram

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

not copy and paste, control+c. the shortcut is disabled in certain instances but you can always right click and copy.

uwp textboxes are fucky

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

can't be worse than those vista systems which shipped with 512 megs of ram

At least "fixing" these systems was usually extremely easy money.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

vista needed 2gb to run nicely. i had a 1gb machine that still ran like poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Maximum Leader posted:

is this new laptop some kind of gimmick laptop or is it just a laptop?

well my first impression is that it sounds like a good normal laptop with a harmless, if tasteless, gimmick (the carpet)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

well my first impression is that it sounds like a good normal laptop with a harmless, if tasteless, gimmick (the carpet)

In an effort to make the surface around the keyboard more pleasing to the eye and touch, designers used Alcantara, a synthetic microfiber that’s more durable than the suede it mimics. The team brought in dozens of giant rolls of fabric and spent six months choosing colors, from a dark burgundy to a platinum hue. Microsoft already uses Alcantara in the covers of its tablets, but that didn’t stop the team from taking a field trip to a BMW dealership to see how the material worked as upholstery. Microsoft chose Alcantara, Panay said, because “it gets rid of that cold, sterile feeling.”

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
these laptops will look apsolutely horrifying after absorbing a couple years worth of wrist grease and skin :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

these laptops will look apsolutely horrifying after absorbing a couple years worth of wrist grease and skin :gonk:
as a pack per day smoker,

• Locked thread