Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm peeved that there's no Severe Curse/Bless attacks on non-DLC Persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The DLC Personas are stupid. They're all fixed-level, and the first time you summon them from the Compendium is free. So if you really like Persona 3, and you buy Messiah, you now have to pick between summoning a level 90 Persona that'll completely trivialize the entire game, or refraining from using the thing you paid money for because it'll make the game less fun.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

VanSandman posted:

Considering they used Arsene Lupin, I'm surprised they didn't reference his descendant.

Lupin is public domain now, Lupin the 3rd and Fujiko arent

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I mean, in fairness I thought Carmen was an under-the-radar reference to Carmen Sandiego so :v:

(Yes, I'd heard of the opera I just didn't think of that Carmen as a thief or outlaw archetype)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rangpur posted:

I mean, in fairness I thought Carmen was an under-the-radar reference to Carmen Sandiego so :v:

(Yes, I'd heard of the opera I just didn't think of that Carmen as a thief or outlaw archetype)

carmen is basically the Nasty Woman

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Isnt there a 4-8 hit bless attack on one of the DLC personas?

Yes, and it's really strong. The problems are that, well, it's on a DLC Persona and it's a low-level Persona so you have to level it up a whole lot for endgame. Not a huge deal if you can afford to just keep using the gallows to strengthen it, of course, and Kaguya being low-level is actually a bonus if you want to min-max (because you can fish for levels that only increase Magic/Agility). That spell might actually be able to outdo Hassou Tobi with Concentrate, Bless Boost/Amp, and a properly min-maxed focus on the Magic stat.

But it's also a lot more effort than just fusing literally any Yoshitsune and running with it, which is what I meant. You can definitely wreck serious poo poo with magic, it's just really easy to do just as well with physical.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Yes, and it's really strong. The problems are that, well, it's on a DLC Persona and it's a low-level Persona so you have to level it up a whole lot for endgame. Not a huge deal if you can afford to just keep using the gallows to strengthen it, of course, and Kaguya being low-level is actually a bonus if you want to min-max (because you can fish for levels that only increase Magic/Agility). That spell might actually be able to outdo Hassou Tobi with Concentrate, Bless Boost/Amp, and a properly min-maxed focus on the Magic stat.

But it's also a lot more effort than just fusing literally any Yoshitsune and running with it, which is what I meant. You can definitely wreck serious poo poo with magic, it's just really easy to do just as well with physical.

Boost and Amp together boost by 75%. Concentrate and Charge are the same.

So if you only hit 4 times with Shining Arrows, it'll hit for less than Hassou Tobi.

But not by much, and the average 6 hits will be far beyond it. 8 hits will demolish it.

So yeah. It completely wrecks Yoshitsune. The real problem is that a lot more things resist bless than phys.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I've bought all the drinks on the vending machines list and the Drink Fanatic trophy won't trigger.

:negative:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Supremezero posted:

So if you only hit 4 times with Shining Arrows, it'll hit for less than Hassou Tobi.

But not by much, and the average 6 hits will be far beyond it. 8 hits will demolish it.

So yeah. It completely wrecks Yoshitsune. The real problem is that a lot more things resist bless than phys.

You forgot about Magic Ability adding another 25% damage. It's a completely academic discussion though, because both of them are completely suitable for destroying more or less every enemy in the game. For trash mobs with specific resistances, there's Morning Star.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is that what they're for? I didn't buy any but I made a point to inspect them since I liked the descriptions.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 2, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheLoser posted:

I've bought all the drinks on the vending machines list and the Drink Fanatic trophy won't trigger.

You have to buy all the enemy vendor trash from the weird vending machine in Akihabara too.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheLoser posted:

There's one that only appears in December in the weird drink machines in Akihabara.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

ROFL Octopus posted:

There's one that only appears in December in the weird drink machines in Akihabara.

Oh, duh. I'm still wrapping stuff up in November. Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Well, no reason not to have both, right? Kaguya for demolishing things that don't resist bless, Yoshitsune for slicing up everything else.

The only thing is that it takes more effort to get Kaguya up to that level (especially reloading to fish for gallows skill inheritance) than it does to just fuse Yoshitsune and be done with it. That, and Kaguya is DLC.

Still, I might do that on NG+ just because blowing everything up with holy arrows appeals to me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Well, no reason not to have both, right? Kaguya for demolishing things that don't resist bless, Yoshitsune for slicing up everything else.

The only thing is that it takes more effort to get Kaguya up to that level (especially reloading to fish for gallows skill inheritance) than it does to just fuse Yoshitsune and be done with it. That, and Kaguya is DLC.

Still, I might do that on NG+ just because blowing everything up with holy arrows appeals to me.

the real ng+ project is making arsene endgame viable

unfortunately he doesn't work as well as Izanagi because his growth spread is real weird(he puts almost everything into AGI, has meh stats otherwise except his luck which is terrible)

I put a growth 3 on him for the final dungeon and he was level 70 or so by the end

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

derra posted:

It's me, I think Morgana was consistently better than Makoto for most of the game. Note that I am playing Merciless so my level is about 7 lower than average on any given day:

Makoto gets spells much later than Morgana, especially Mediarama. Level 41, really? Mediarahan at 65? I beat Palace 7 at 57!

Nuclear technicals for real damage off of hard to inflict statuses. If I need to open up an enemy I'd rather apply a mental one that Psi feeds on. Meanwhile, Lucky / Miracle Punch is almost always worth tossing out for the chance of decent damage / baton pass.

Before Marakukaja she didn't have much to contribute, and applying Tarunda was much better than individual rakukajas.

Until level 48 (late Palace 6, early palace 7) all she has going for her is Dekaja and some toughness against Miracle Punch, earlier spell access, some minor utility in recarm. Granted, once you do get 48 Marakukaja is way better than Masukunda.

Also I specifically brought in Yusuke for Palace 7 boss, having access to Masukukaja and items was better than what Ryuji could do (killed him with -karn reflected damage)

I actually agree with that point - Makoto is just a bit more lackluster since she doesn't learn a group heal til maybe palace 6, or late palace 5 at a stretch. Morgana is just as adept at casting for a long while, and Lucky/Miracle Punch can be lifesavers in randoms. Makoto doesn't learn Marakukaja til palace 7 too, so Ann's the better pick for weakening offense until then (at which point you're picking up Debilitate anyway).

And Makoto doesn't even learn Recarm, that's Morgana's territory.

If I am going to give Makoto points in that stretch before palace 7, it's for her durability - she has higher health and Agility, Psy is a pretty rare weakness, and Morgana won't get Evade Elec til pretty much endgame, while you can bumrush for Makoto's.

My palace 7 boss team was Makoto/Ryuji/Yusuke. Masuku was really nice and let me dodge a lot of things. Ryuji should honestly be a mainstay at that point even if just for Matarukaja.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the real ng+ project is making arsene endgame viable

unfortunately he doesn't work as well as Izanagi because his growth spread is real weird(he puts almost everything into AGI, has meh stats otherwise except his luck which is terrible)

I put a growth 3 on him for the final dungeon and he was level 70 or so by the end

I think for Arsene I want to make him a Debilitate machine (assuming he can inherit that). While it would take a ton of work to make him an offensive powerhouse, why not let him be a thief and steal the enemy's strength for me? I mean, Trumpeter's the classic Debilitate bot, but Arsene looks cooler and I like that idea, at least.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't really need Mediarahan until Makoto gets it, and -Recarm is useless.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I wish I had enough money to fuse Yoshitsune or any of the big guys before I finished, I spent pretty much 90% of the money I had on summoning Sandalpon and Raphael who just hosed up EVERYTHING thru the end for me once I maxed out Strength.

Those overlevel summons are EXPENSIVE as hell though, when I start NG+ does it scale from level 1 so I'll need like 1m+ or is it a fixed cost no matter how many levels below you are?

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, Yusuke needs more than that +10 Agility he gets. He's just totally outclassed in boss fights by just about everyone and even though he's a decent sweeper in random battles (especially with the big Baton Pass damage bonus attacks), Haru beats the hell out of him there. He needs better multi-hit attacks, maybe, or just some sort of niche. I'd almost say give him Debilitate but that might make him too good all on its own, I dunno.

Really the only reason Makoto's +10 to everything is overkill is because a) she's already really fast, and b) what's she really going to use that Strength, Endurance, or Luck for in the endgame? It's not like anyone kept Vajra Blast around in her skill list, she's already got one of the highest HP totals, and she doesn't have a single thing that relies on Luck. Honestly she could've just gotten +10 Magic and she'd be just as great.

I'm honestly surprised Goemon doesn't have a bunch of awesome single-target Gun skills; the historical/legendary Goemon is at just the right era to whip out a teppo and start blowing holes in people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

derra posted:

It's me, I think Morgana was consistently better than Makoto for most of the game. Note that I am playing Merciless so my level is about 7 lower than average on any given day:

I'm actually interested to know more about how different some things are on Merciless. I might do Merciless for NG+.

Really, I think that Makoto only beats Morgana in the late game. Until then she's a solid support character but I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to use her until she gets Marakukaja. Until then, Ann's probably better in that slot.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually agree with that point - Makoto is just a bit more lackluster since she doesn't learn a group heal til maybe palace 6, or late palace 5 at a stretch. Morgana is just as adept at casting for a long while, and Lucky/Miracle Punch can be lifesavers in randoms. Makoto doesn't learn Marakukaja til palace 7 too, so Ann's the better pick for weakening offense until then (at which point you're picking up Debilitate anyway).

And Makoto doesn't even learn Recarm, that's Morgana's territory.

If I am going to give Makoto points in that stretch before palace 7, it's for her durability - she has higher health and Agility, Psy is a pretty rare weakness, and Morgana won't get Evade Elec til pretty much endgame, while you can bumrush for Makoto's.

Yeah, Makoto's usefulness over Morgana doesn't really come in until late game. My reasons are:
  • I don't need Salvation. Once Makoto has Mediarahan, she's a perfectly good healer.
  • I don't need Recarm/Samarecarm. Revival items from Takemi are cheap enough and spells aren't any better than items at reviving.
  • Makoto has Marakukaja and Morgana doesn't have any buffs.
  • She's way more durable than Morgana.
  • She gets a severe damage spell and with her super gun, Makoto definitely outdamages Morgana. Not that it really matters--the other three characters in the party are going to do more damage than anyone in that fourth slot.
But there are a couple of stretches where Morgana getting healing spells earlier than Makoto meant he was in my party for tough fights. There's a period where he has Mediarama and Makoto doesn't have multi-target healing yet, and then that short span when he has Mediarahan and Makoto doesn't (which is about when I fought the Palace 7 boss).

Terper posted:

You don't really need Mediarahan until Makoto gets it, and -Recarm is useless.

It was really helpful for the Palace 7 boss for me, which is why I had Morgana in my party for that. It was his last battle in the party, though. Poor little guy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 2, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think for Arsene I want to make him a Debilitate machine (assuming he can inherit that). While it would take a ton of work to make him an offensive powerhouse, why not let him be a thief and steal the enemy's strength for me? I mean, Trumpeter's the classic Debilitate bot, but Arsene looks cooler and I like that idea, at least.

Debilitate can be a skill card so Arsene can definitely learn it

I mostly want him to be a curse machine but debuffs work also yeah.

I just dislike how little use the initial personas have despite often having the coolest designs, which is why I tend to burn skill cards on them to keep them viable

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I replaced Ryuji with Goro so now it's Makoto/Goro/Yusuke for top favorite characters. Now that I can switch members it doesn't really matter that much but it's still fun see them interact during Mementos.

Why does Akechi keep waiting for me at the cafe? Like I can imagine him taking the long route around just to greet Joker when he arrives from school. It's one of those moments where you're not sure if he likes you or just is acting annoying.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alder posted:

I replaced Ryuji with Goro so now it's Makoto/Goro/Yusuke for top favorite characters. Now that I can switch members it doesn't really matter that much but it's still fun see them interact during Mementos.

Why does Akechi keep waiting for me at the cafe? Like I can imagine him taking the long route around just to greet Joker when he arrives from school. It's one of those moments where you're not sure if he likes you or just is acting annoying.

He wants to bang you, of course.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Didn't have Matarukaja, and like I said -karn spells were my offense so Tarukaja was less desirable regardless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of items filling in for spells, I have no idea why I kept Ann's Dekaja and Makoto's Dekunda around for so long. I had plenty of items that do the same thing and the total number of times I needed to use either Dekaja or Dekunda in the entire game was lower than the number of items I had that could do that, even before I bought a few from Takemi.

I think my ideal endgame skill loadouts for each character, once I get there again on NG+, will probably be:

Morgana: Garudyne, Magarudyne, Diarahan, Salvation, Masukunda, Wind Boost, Wind Amp, Evade Elec (It's honestly tough to choose between Masukunda and Miracle Punch--those crits own pretty hard in random battles)
Ryuji: Ziodyne, Maziodyne, God's Hand, Agneyastra, Charge, Matarukaja, Shock Boost, Evade Wind
Ann: Agidyne, Blazing Hell, Diarahan, Concentrate, Matarunda, Fire Boost, Fire Amp, Evade Ice (Alternatively, drop Diarahan to keep Maragidyne around for a lower-cost all-target fire attack, but it's nice having someone who can spot heal without an item if need be)
Yusuke: Bufudyne, Mabufudyne, Deadly Fury, Brave Blade, Vorpal Blade, Masukukaja, High Counter, Evade Fire (Deadly Fury is there specifically because Yusuke's time to shine is random battles when Baton Pass is an option, and it's going to be real strong after a Baton Pass or two. Otherwise, I'd replace it maybe with Ice Amp instead.)
Makoto: Atomic Flare, Mafreidyne, Diarahan, Mediarahan, Marakukaja, Nuke Boost, Nuke Amp, Evade Psy (Maybe drop Diarahan to keep Energy Shower around but again, items can handle that)
Haru: Psiodyne, Mapsiodyne, Triple Down, One-shot Kill, Heat Riser, Snipe, Cripple, Evade Nuke (The -karn spells are useless because Physical/Magical Ointments are so cheap from Takemi's shop)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 2, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Maybe give him the three auto ma- skills. Speedy debilitate + instant full-party heat riser would be a really solid role.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Maybe give him the three auto ma- skills. Speedy debilitate + instant full-party heat riser would be a really solid role.

Oh yeah, that would own pretty hard. Can the Auto-Ma[buff] skills be skill cards? I can just fish for inheritance otherwise.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bliss Authority posted:

I'm honestly surprised Goemon doesn't have a bunch of awesome single-target Gun skills; the historical/legendary Goemon is at just the right era to whip out a teppo and start blowing holes in people.

honestly I'm surprised Captain Kidd doesn't have any gun skills, since his arm is a giant cannon and all

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, that would own pretty hard. Can the Auto-Ma[buff] skills be skill cards? I can just fish for inheritance otherwise.

Going by the fusion calculator, the only one that can be skill carded is Auto-Mataru... but only with a DLC Persona (Ariadne Picaro).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

honestly I'm surprised Captain Kidd doesn't have any gun skills, since his arm is a giant cannon and all

Yeah, gun should've been Ryuji's niche (Charge + boosted Triple Down :black101:). It's cool that Milady hides a ton of guns under her skirt, but Haru's also carrying a huge fuckoff axe so the brute strength physical attacks Ryuji's Personas have could've fit right in with her.

W.T. Fits posted:

Going by the fusion calculator, the only one that can be skill carded is Auto-Mataru... but only with a DLC Persona (Ariadne Picaro).

Well poo poo. Maybe I'll get around to buying some DLC Personas after all. Kaguya definitely seems to own pretty hard, too.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Ryuji doesn't get Elec Amp, he only gets Boost. Yusuke gets neither.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 2, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

If you're at the point where he's in your party then it's partially a threat. Guy's blackmailing you, after all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Ryuji doesn't get Elec Amp, he only gets Boost. Yusuke gets neither.

Oh drat, somehow I missed that. In that case, Shock Boost it is.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really dislike Ryuji in this game. I've never liked the "loud guy" archtype party member from each game, but I think he is the worst one so far...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really dislike Ryuji in this game. I've never liked the "loud guy" archtype party member from each game, but I think he is the worst one so far...

Ryuji is cool in his social link and towards the end of the game in the main story, but he's kind of a poo poo otherwise.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Amrita Shower and Energy Shower for Haru and Makoto are also more useful than you think they are, because AFAIK the only place you can buy party-wide status-healing items is in the church on Sundays, and they only sell one per week.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Instant Grat posted:

Amrita Shower and Energy Shower for Haru and Makoto are also more useful than you think they are, because AFAIK the only place you can buy party-wide status-healing items is in the church on Sundays, and they only sell one per week.

I didn't even know you could buy party-wide status-healing items from the church. :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I guess the thing is that I very rarely ended up in a situation where I needed multi-target status healing at all. It might be worth dropping Psiodyne on Haru to make room for Amrita Shower, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji loving rules. He hates every villain so drat much, is super hyped and excited whenever a new team member joins and gets a bunch of cool moments early and late in the game. And while he's a poo poo in the mid-game that's something the game acknowledges and he apologises for it in a good scene which leads to cool development that brings up themes that are super relevant in end game plot.