Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Frank Viola posted:

I'm curious what the consensus is on Zurich's Team format. What do you guys think about it?

Having a break from the monotony of 72 hole stroke play events is cool but I don't think this format is ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Played 27 holes this weekend. All of a sudden I'm getting GIR a lot but 3 and 4 putting so my scores are still garbage. I really need to work on putting.

Also everything hurts.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Suprfli6 posted:

Having a break from the monotony of 72 hole stroke play events is cool but I don't think this format is ideal.

Yeah, I think its an effort to shake up the event, it didn't get a lot of viewership last year. Kisner and Brown are playing really well, and a lot of the top ten projected didn't make the cut. So it is exciting to see this type of upset.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've gone from hitting a lot of fairways and missing greens to missing fairways like mad and scrambling my rear end of for pars and bogeys.

This course is wickedly tight. (Hilaman)

This one is wide open ( Seminole)

The big numbers killed me Saturday. I only had a couple doubles today, but I'm still having all kinds of trouble finding the fairway when I do pull the driver. For several years, I would always pull or hook the diver. Now I fade it most of the time, but I just can't get myself to aim left. I hit my fairway wood off the tee like a boss and I only use driver on the really long holes. I did make the mistake of not really practicing with this driver when I got it last week(ping G25). I think I'm still trying to be too sweet with it after years and years of duck hooks and I'm not turning all the way on it. Oh well, that's why I'm a 15 HCI.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

I think the format change is a great idea, but I think so many top players playing a "new course" to them is why a lot of the superstars missed the cut.

Put this event at a top tier course? It'd be one of the biggest nonmajors of the whole calendar.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo that hole out for eagle!!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OK golf thread. Not to stir up a hornet's nest of controversy, but I am trying to get a decent handle on the factors that would help one decide between good old fashioned forged blades and GI clubs. I see a lot of posturing by both sides over on Golf WRX but little substantive discussion of pros and cons.

My old clubs are I guess old GI clubs--clones of Ping Karstens--and hitting them I have absolutely no problem getting them up high off the ground with what turns out to be very high spin. Part of me thinks I should be heading to get my dad's old Wilson Staffs instead of getting new GI irons. Anyway, I'll be getting fit after a few lessons and will be asking my instructor about these variables in selecting new irons, but to kick things off and to aid my further research, what should I be considering?

(FWIW, grip changes own and I wish I had done this years ago--midsized Crosslines are almost perfect for my hands. Going to get the rest of the set done now I think.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Honestly if you're just getting back into the game I wouldn't think too long about it. We're largely at the point now where clubs are clubs are clubs, regardless of maker (at least among the main companies), and you're really best off just finding what has the best feel for you. Nobody's going to give you poo poo about what you have in your bag if you can hit the club well.

E: There's also the theory that blades do seem to offer a little more 'shapeability' to your shots at the cost of forgiveness, while cavity backs are the reverse, but you may want to take that with a grain of salt as well. I'd really just hit a bunch of different things and see what feels best to you.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OK cool. After posting I started digging in further and found how companies like Mizuno were basically combining the two technologies too so welp

Soooo many models to choose from it makes my head hurt. Was really hoping to narrow the field some

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Don't overthink it too much. Ping, Mizuno, Taylormade, Callaway, Nike, etc. are all perfectly good brands and odds are you're as likely to hit one brand's stuff as well as another.

There's also nothing saying you couldn't get a set of irons from one company, then woods from another and putter from a third. Long as you're getting clean contact and you're swinging comfortably, that's all that matters.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yep. I'm a lefty so my bag is mix and match and if someone judged me for it I'd just laugh at them. I probably saved hundreds of dollars picking through the rarely touched lefty section at my local secondhand section. The irons I got new on eBay.

Taylor made irons, Ping putter and driver, Callaway hybrids, ghoulish mix of old rear end wedges.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Having your clubs all one brand makes you look like you don't know what you're doing, so you better be scratch or better.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

I remember Nick Price doing something like that from a bunker during a skills challenge in the 90's. Then on his next try he stiffed it to 6 inches.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who can shoot a good score for his 15 handicap and still make 6 doubles? This streaky fucker right here. Most pissed off 85 I ever shot

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

OK golf thread. Not to stir up a hornet's nest of controversy, but I am trying to get a decent handle on the factors that would help one decide between good old fashioned forged blades and GI clubs. I see a lot of posturing by both sides over on Golf WRX but little substantive discussion of pros and cons.

My old clubs are I guess old GI clubs--clones of Ping Karstens--and hitting them I have absolutely no problem getting them up high off the ground with what turns out to be very high spin. Part of me thinks I should be heading to get my dad's old Wilson Staffs instead of getting new GI irons. Anyway, I'll be getting fit after a few lessons and will be asking my instructor about these variables in selecting new irons, but to kick things off and to aid my further research, what should I be considering?

(FWIW, grip changes own and I wish I had done this years ago--midsized Crosslines are almost perfect for my hands. Going to get the rest of the set done now I think.)

Depends what you mean by GI club. Take Ping's lineup for instance, they have:

GMax - super GI
G series - GI
I series - GI / 'player'
iBlade - 'player'

I think you'll find similar setups across manufacturers. Honestly, that one step down from blades is such a great compromise in both directions it's hard to argue with it. Pretty thin topline, small to moderate offset, medium clubhead size. I play Ping S56 irons, which were their old 'blade'(although they are much less of a blade than like Titleist MBs) mainly because it has minimal offset and that's something I care about.

There's a very good chance I'd be better off playing the I series though. If you don't strike the ball very consistently then it's tough to recommend blades, mishits are punished much more than on a GI club. Slight mishit on a GI club might mean front of the green or just short as opposed to middle. Mishit on blade could be 10-20 yards short.

Workability get's brought up a lot and it's a fair point, not sure how relevant it is for 98% of golfers though. So you hit your drive behind a tree, a blade might help you hook it around it more than a cavity back, but do you have that shot in your bag?

The other distinguishing factor from blades to the next level down is trajectory, blades will likely hit the ball on a lower trajectory, which might be important for you or might not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

The other distinguishing factor from blades to the next level down is trajectory, blades will likely hit the ball on a lower trajectory, which might be important for you or might not.

Yeah this is worth noting. I'd much rather have a high trajectory that sits down softer, but to each their own.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Ping G's are awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I've had a set of G15s for like 10 years now and I've been really happy with them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can't wait for the Titleist 718 MB's to come out so I can get the 716's for cheap.

(Actually I won't bc I still haven't played since last August)

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 2, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

Depends what you mean by GI club. Take Ping's lineup for instance, they have:

GMax - super GI
G series - GI
I series - GI / 'player'
iBlade - 'player'

I think you'll find similar setups across manufacturers. Honestly, that one step down from blades is such a great compromise in both directions it's hard to argue with it. Pretty thin topline, small to moderate offset, medium clubhead size. I play Ping S56 irons, which were their old 'blade'(although they are much less of a blade than like Titleist MBs) mainly because it has minimal offset and that's something I care about.

There's a very good chance I'd be better off playing the I series though. If you don't strike the ball very consistently then it's tough to recommend blades, mishits are punished much more than on a GI club. Slight mishit on a GI club might mean front of the green or just short as opposed to middle. Mishit on blade could be 10-20 yards short.

Workability get's brought up a lot and it's a fair point, not sure how relevant it is for 98% of golfers though. So you hit your drive behind a tree, a blade might help you hook it around it more than a cavity back, but do you have that shot in your bag?

This is a great post, thanks! Really explains why there are so many different club numbers. I guess the biggest question I will have to answer is whether the high spin I am getting is due to my swing or the clubs I am swinging currently, then optimize. I like the idea of the iseries though because I'm probably (when in my groove) about a 8 or 9 of 10 consistent hitter. That last one or two however are round determining in total.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember being at the range a few years ago next to a guy who had Ping G25 irons. I asked to hit them and marveled and how they went straight and didn't lose much distance no matter how bad of a swing I tried to put on them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

This is a great post, thanks! Really explains why there are so many different club numbers. I guess the biggest question I will have to answer is whether the high spin I am getting is due to my swing or the clubs I am swinging currently, then optimize. I like the idea of the iseries though because I'm probably (when in my groove) about a 8 or 9 of 10 consistent hitter. That last one or two however are round determining in total.

Not to make things more convoluted or anything, but shafts can be a culprit in how much spin you are getting on any of your clubs too, so don't overlook that!

I had my first night of golf league last night, played better than my score. Shot a 44, didn't make a putt over 3 feet, and played the par 5s at +4. Absolute garbage.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Lol, just found out the guy I played against who had a 14 handicap for nine holes, shot ten under his cap for a net 26.

I did not earn many points...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat :stare:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DoctaFun posted:

Lol, just found out the guy I played against who had a 14 handicap for nine holes, shot ten under his cap for a net 26.

I did not earn many points...

I'm a lot more excited for skins in both of my leagues than actually having the most points, there are too many guys who hardly play outside of the league and will have a few decent weeks near the end of the year and win as a result.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
As someone just getting into golf where should I start. I'm not looking to spend a poo poo ton on clubs at this time so I bought a $60 RAM set off Kijiji that are fairly new. I'm planning on taking 5 weeks of group seminars in the next month or so to get the basics down. For now should I just hit the driving range on the weekend and just work on my stance, ball positioning and get used to the clubs I picked up?

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2017

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

If you've never swung a club before spending a bunch of time at the range by yourself may be frustrating and you'll pick up bad habits you'll just have to unlearn in lessons.

I'd take a lesson first or at the very least go with a buddy who can show you the absolute basics.

e: lock your fingers when your grip the club. Everyone starting out says it feels awkward but it gives you much more control than gripping the club like a baseball bat. And buy a glove!

Update on my putter: I ended up not buying a new putter this season. My putters been on fire. I squeezed a quick 9 in after class today and shot a 40 with 15 putts. I did get the range finder and I'm happy I did.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

If you've never swung a club before spending a bunch of time at the range by yourself may be frustrating and you'll pick up bad habits you'll just have to unlearn in lessons.

I'd take a lesson first or at the very least go with a buddy who can show you the absolute basics.

e: lock your fingers when your grip the club. Everyone starting out says it feels awkward but it gives you much more control than gripping the club like a baseball bat. And buy a glove!

Update on my putter: I ended up not buying a new putter this season. My putters been on fire. I squeezed a quick 9 in after class today and shot a 40 with 15 putts. I did get the range finder and I'm happy I did.

I have swung before at a couple work related golf outings with my dad so I do know the lock your fingers thing, I've just been watching some YouTube videos on stance and ball positioning lately to try to get that stuff in my head early.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Le Saboteur posted:

I have swung before at a couple work related golf outings with my dad so I do know the lock your fingers thing, I've just been watching some YouTube videos on stance and ball positioning lately to try to get that stuff in my head early.

If I could do it all over. I wouldn't even swing a club until I had booked a set of 5 lessons.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

daslog posted:

If I could do it all over. I wouldn't even swing a club until I had booked a set of 5 lessons.

Alright I will take this advice.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Le Saboteur posted:

Alright I will take this advice.

Welcome to the pain, my dude.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I gotta say, I wouldn't recommend lessons first. Play some on a non-busy weekday, see how much you like it. I have never had a lesson, have no interest in ever taking one, and it hasn't hurt my love of the game. Maybe I could go from an 8 to a 6 handicap, but no thanks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Had a work function at a local country club, so at lunch I went out and hit a bucket of balls. As I came back many of my coworkers were like "you brought your clubs? What a great idea, why didn't I think of it?" :D

Checked out the pro shop, which carries Callaway irons primarily (but all the major driver brands). They (Apex and Steelheads) sit funny, with their really rounded soles. And they are massive things. Is this typical of modern irons or just a brand characteristic? I did like having the club weighted at the head, the shafts seemed to contribute little to the rotational mass.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 4, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Lessons, swear a lot, go into a deep golf depression & almost quit, realise you've gone about it all wrong for 20 years, more lessons, make a breakthrough and see the light. Hit the ball better with almost no effort.

Oh then neglect putting and lose shots on the green whilst hitting it pure tee to green. Sigh :)

So yeah, my advice is to go to a PGA pro and get lessons first.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 4, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

I gotta say, I wouldn't recommend lessons first. Play some on a non-busy weekday, see how much you like it. I have never had a lesson, have no interest in ever taking one, and it hasn't hurt my love of the game. Maybe I could go from an 8 to a 6 handicap, but no thanks.

If I played a round as a new golfer and shot an 80 I wouldn't get lessons either. Then again, if I shot 80 I would be immediately better than 95% of all golfers.

If I was shooting over 100, then getting lessons early helps me prevent doing all the bad things that keep me from being better.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

If I played a round as a new golfer and shot an 80 I wouldn't get lessons either. Then again, if I shot 80 I would be immediately better than 95% of all golfers.

If I was shooting over 100, then getting lessons early helps me prevent doing all the bad things that keep me from being better.

There's a happy medium. Not everyone should pay hundreds of dollars for lessons after spending $50 on a used set of clubs and one round of golf (or none). Play a bit first, have some friends who play give some help, see how it goes before thinking lessons.

And no, I wasn't shooting 80 when I started, I was probably around a 100. Then very shortly a bogey golfer where I stayed for years of not playing every week. Then, weekly golf and moved to around a 12 handicapper. Always loved the golf. Still no lessons, have no interest.

edit: On an actual playing golf note, really overpaid for a round today. $37 and it was not worth it. Evergreen Golf course should not be open yet, it needs a month of careful maintenance before it's ready. Scabby doesn't begin to describe the greens or the "fairways."

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 4, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

There's a happy medium. Not everyone should pay hundreds of dollars for lessons after spending $50 on a used set of clubs and one round of golf (or none). Play a bit first, have some friends who play give some help, see how it goes before thinking lessons.

And no, I wasn't shooting 80 when I started, I was probably around a 100. Then very shortly a bogey golfer where I stayed for years of not playing every week. Then, weekly golf and moved to around a 12 handicapper. Always loved the golf. Still no lessons, have no interest.

edit: On an actual playing golf note, really overpaid for a round today. $37 and it was not worth it. Evergreen Golf course should not be open yet, it needs a month of careful maintenance before it's ready. Scabby doesn't begin to describe the greens or the "fairways."

There is a happy medium. At the very least, I'd do at least 1 lesson just to get on the right track.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The 5 week group clinic is going to cost me $99 so it's a financial hit I'm willing to take just to learn some basics.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Not getting lessons ruined golf for me. I randomly picked up the game, taught myself all the worst possible habits. Can't play for poo poo. I've broke 100 maybe a handful of times. I just made golf miserable for myself. Now I would have to undo a decade of bad habits, so I just quit.

Get lessons. I cannot stress this enough. At the very least take one lesson so you get the fundamentals down and have an idea of what to try to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Le Saboteur posted:

The 5 week group clinic is going to cost me $99 so it's a financial hit I'm willing to take just to learn some basics.

I think it's worth it.