Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

It was kind of funny in Insurrection, when Piller decided that he didn't want to come up with some convoluted reason for Worf to be on the Enterprise, so he had Picard cut him off right when he was starting to explain why he was there. Although in Nemesis there's a cut line in the script in which he says at the Riker wedding that "the diplomatic life did not suit me," or something like that.

That cult still exists to this day, too. Maybe two or three years ago, The Oatmeal did a giant loving comic about one of Roddenberry's favorite stories about himself (the Pan-Am crash) ... despite the story being complete and utter bullshit (yes, the plane crashed in the desert; no, he was not the co-pilot; no, he did not personally drag 20 people out of the burning wreckage with multiple broken ribs; no, he did not lead a search party in the desert; no, he did not fight and defeat Arabs as he trudged across the desert to find a radio or a telephone; no, he did not single-handedly drag people to the rescue area).

Stuff like this is why the Lucas comparison irritates me. Gene Roddenberry is much more like Bob Kane. Kane created the basic idea of a superhero called Bat-Man, and then Bill Finger created every single thing you associate with Batman in 2017. Kane shoves Finger into obscurity, downplays his contributions, and claims everything was his idea from that start. Same with Roddenberry and Gene Coon.

Bob Kane and Gene Roddenberry are peas in a pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Man, what part of the internet do you frequent where all the nerds love Lucas rather than despise him for stupid reasons

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man, what part of the internet do you frequent where all the nerds love Lucas rather than despise him for stupid reasons

Have you read Star Wars threads (here or elsewhere) lately? People are calling the prequels good these days.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Sir Lemming posted:

Kind of like Worf in the TNG movies after he was introduced on DS9. First they explicitly rescued him from the Defiant, but by Nemesis it was just like whatever, Worf is here

Sash! posted:

Riker just calls him up on the space-phone every once in a while just like "bro, we are going out tonight and YOU ARE COMING."

Wesley: What are you even doing here?
Worf: Commander Riker invited me to rent a living space in the basement.
Wesley: But this is Geordi's house.
Worf: *Hmph* In truth, I was invited to a holo-kegger...and I have yet to leave. Geordi has been kind enough not to turn off the basement replicator.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stuff like this is why the Lucas comparison irritates me. Gene Roddenberry is much more like Bob Kane. Kane created the basic idea of a superhero called Bat-Man, and then Bill Finger created every single thing you associate with Batman in 2017. Kane shoves Finger into obscurity, downplays his contributions, and claims everything was his idea from that start. Same with Roddenberry and Gene Coon.

Bob Kane and Gene Roddenberry are peas in a pod.

Let's not exaggerate, though. Coon came up with a lot, but Roddenberry was responsible for much more than just the basic concept of "starship travels through space."

Roddenberry's issue was that he couldn't stop sucking his own dick because he needed as much attention as humanly possible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Railing Kill posted:

Have you read Star Wars threads (here or elsewhere) lately? People are calling the prequels good these days.

They tried to do something interesting, which is better than something like The Force Awakens.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, Lucas has kind of just become the textbook example of "auteur who did his best work when surrounded by others" so it's the easiest analogy to make. There are certainly plenty of differences.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They tried to do something interesting, which is better than something like The Force Awakens.

TFA was a necessary signaling to the fans that they knew what a Star Wars movie was supposed to be like. That way, when they deviate from it it's obviously because they chose to rather than because they suck

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Railing Kill posted:

Nothing inside of CineD should be taken seriously (or read)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I guess making a ponderously-paced political plot, a romance, and a children's movie all at once, and failing at all of it, is pretty interesting, in the way that Birdemic is interesting.

And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying TFA was great. But it was as competently-executed as it was unimaginative and safe. The prequel trilogy was a mess, and it doesn't matter what the intent was.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm a big fan of doing something different, but having interesting and/or likable characters trumps that 99% of the time. I mean ideally you'll have both, but they don't weigh equally on my desire to watch something.

If only they could somehow take Rogue One's space battle and replace TFA's Starkiller stuff with that. That'd pretty much be the perfect Star Wars movie.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Sir Lemming posted:

Kind of like Worf in the TNG movies after he was introduced on DS9. First they explicitly rescued him from the Defiant, but by Nemesis it was just like whatever, Worf is here

Maybe Worf is the POV character and he is fantasizing in the holo-suite, which would explain why the TNG movies are ludicrous action schlock.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

King Hong Kong posted:

Maybe Worf is the POV character and he is fantasizing in the holo-suite, which would explain why the TNG movies are ludicrous action schlock.

You'd think he could come up with better adversaries than the Son'a.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 2, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You'd think he could come up with better adversaries than the Son'a.

Given that the best he could come up with other times on the holodeck are Skeletor rip-offs I'm not so sure.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My sister posted this tweet and I guessed the episode in one try:

https://twitter.com/sharteks/status/859258482238697472

Help.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Well yeah, a lot of kids who loved the phantom menace grew up. And there are tons of kids who loved the prequels and the cartoons as well as the OT. This shouldn't be surprising at all as the passage of time assures a new generation would experience star wars differently.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CPColin posted:

My sister posted this tweet and I guessed the episode in one try:

https://twitter.com/sharteks/status/859258482238697472

Help.

The Offspring ?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Whoa what the gently caress? What's up with geordi's beard in the outcast? Where did that come from?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kingtheninja posted:

Whoa what the gently caress? What's up with geordi's beard in the outcast? Where did that come from?

LeVar Burton liked it. The producers did not. They let him grow a beard a couple times in the later seasons, and at one point it's even remarked upon in the episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

It is a fine, distinguished beard.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Correct!

How do you feel?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Well yeah, a lot of kids who loved the phantom menace grew up. And there are tons of kids who loved the prequels and the cartoons as well as the OT. This shouldn't be surprising at all as the passage of time assures a new generation would experience star wars differently.

And now they're able to discuss it in much greater quantity than the generation before them. They're differently abled, if you will.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

If the internet has taught me anything​, it's that people's tastes don't magically mature when they hit drinking age. The kids who were young enough to think of the prequels as "star wars" are still pretty young and a lot of them will have completely reevaluated their opinions by the time it they start thinking about showing it to their own kids. So it goes.

I was over the moon for ds9 as a kid and lovingly binged on it in college, but by my third watch through, the nostalgia had waned and I was finally able to recognize some of the flaws that had been there all along (still love it though). For TNG, I had the opposite experience​. I remembered it being stiff and boring and technobabbly and was shocked by how many great episodes it had that were none of those things. I definitely appreciate TOS more too. Voyager was even worse than I remembered though.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Duckbag posted:

I was over the moon for ds9 as a kid and lovingly binged on it in college, but by my third watch through, the nostalgia had waned and I was finally able to recognize some of the flaws that had been there all along (still love it though).

The Pah-Wraiths (everything about them).

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Railing Kill posted:

I feel like I end up saying this every time George Lucas comes up: he can be both technically gifted and a god-awful writer/director. I don't think it's "revisionist history" to call his writing and directing dog poo poo, because it always was, even looking within the original trilogy. But I also don't think that precludes praising his technical achievements in visual effects. I didn't do that back there because I wasn't talking about visual effects, and no one else was either until it got dredged up in defense of Ol' Jorge. I was talking about writing, and Lucas absolutely sucks at that. Every Star Wars nerd has to get all up in arms and haul out all these technical merits every time someone has the nerve to question 40 years of nerd orthodoxy. If we accept that Gene fostered a cult of personality around himself, I'd like to know what we should call whatever all this poo poo is around George Lucas. Nerd Stockholm Syndrome?

(Although Gene was a manipulative creep, so it is safe to say he deliberately fostered a cult of personality, while whatever developed around George may not be his fault and may just be nerds being nerds. He's a consumer whore, but he's not a creep in the same way Gene was.)

Yes to all of this. Which is exactly what I was saying at the beginning too until BUT ILM! happened.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Railing Kill posted:

That's a small minority of folks who have driven out every other poster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Pretty much, yeah. And I'm really not sure that they're not 90% troll.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Lokai likes the movies on the right side. All of his people like the movies on the right side."

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

MikeJF posted:

That only accounts for SA. Elsewhere, there's people making up fan theories like that Jar Jar Binks was a Sith Lord, or The Ring Theory, just to retroactively retool the narrative so that it isn't dog poo poo. If anything is revisionist history, it's stuff like that. As MrJacobs pointed out, there's plenty of :argh: young people :argh: that have latched onto the prequel trilogy and haven't yet come to the realization that every generation eventually does: that our tastes as children are terrible. For example, I have a ton of nostalgia for Ghostbusters II, but it isn't a good movie. I just had a tape of it at my house so I watched it so many times at the right age that GLOROUS VIGO, SCOURGE OF CARPATHIA burned itself into my consciousness. But at a certain point, I realized that it isn't very good. 90% of the stuff we loved as children is unwatchable garbage. The difference between that and all this Star Wars prequel stuff is that SW folks haven't yet turned that corner, and they may never do it because SW brand marketing is so ubiquitous with nostalgia fare.

Staaaaaaaaar Trucks!

ENT S3E12: "Chosen Realm"

A little on-the-nose with the Space Terrorists there, Enterprise.

Also, why do Starfleet vessels always let unknown guests wander around every part of the ship? The episode goes out of its way to show that Archer is distrustful of strangers in The Expanse, and rightly so, but then they are allowed to position themselves all over the ship ahead of their suicide bombings. Shouldn't the same guy that says, "meet them with a security team at the airlock, and make sure they're not armed" then say, "...and don't let them into engineering or anywhere else sensitive, you dummies."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Also, why do Starfleet vessels always let unknown guests wander around every part of the ship? The episode goes out of its way to show that Archer is distrustful of strangers in The Expanse, and rightly so, but then they are allowed to position themselves all over the ship ahead of their suicide bombings. Shouldn't the same guy that says, "meet them with a security team at the airlock, and make sure they're not armed" then say, "...and don't let them into engineering or anywhere else sensitive, you dummies."

Yea, it's basically either "you are in the brig/confined to quarters" or "you have free run of the ship" with literally no inbetween, it's weird.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Because everything in Starfleet is so over engineered that the door locks attained sapience and all had to be relocated to their own colony. Padlock-14 has a strict non-interventionist policy in organic affairs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Archer is dumb, that's why

Like seriously, you are on a likely suicide mission to stop a mostly unknown race from blowing up Earth. Why are you taking the slightest chance?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I admit it's fun to make snarky comments to prequel haters, but I really do like the prequels, and I always have. And I wasn't a young kid when I saw them; I was a college grad by the time Phantom Menace came out. There's stuff in them I don't like, and I don't enjoy them as much as I do the OT, but the haters almost to a man go out of their way to claim they're uniformly terrible and there's nothing of value in the PT, and that's just ridiculous hyperbole.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I admit it's fun to make snarky comments to prequel haters, but I really do like the prequels, and I always have. And I wasn't a young kid when I saw them; I was a college grad by the time Phantom Menace came out. There's stuff in them I don't like, and I don't enjoy them as much as I do the OT, but the haters almost to a man go out of their way to claim they're uniformly terrible and there's nothing of value in the PT, and that's just ridiculous hyperbole.
Same.

I mean, they do suck as movies in a lot of ways but do still have great bits.

Their worst sin in my opinion is the same as Voyager: wasted potential. They could have been, and should have been so much better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

:same:?

There's some seriously dumb things writing and plot stuff in the prequels that I think I even questioned as a kid. But I won't lie, with the Tie Fighter game being a large part of my early exposure to Star Wars, the little kid me cared about cool ships and weapons. Doubly so when they started making lego out of them. People aren't really wrong to say the prequels catered to kids in that regard. (That said even kid me thought Jarjar was loving annoying) I thought Star Trek was dumb for the longest time because it didn't have cool space battles or lego sets. :colbert:

I really liked the Clone Wars cartoon, both the Genndy one and the later Disney one. I think they do a pretty good job making something interesting out of the setting.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

Probably one of Gene's fetishes

Insert the "waves and waves of cum" quote here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that story, according to part 2 of the Star Trek 50 book, involved Gene Roddenberry using an leprechaun impression to deliver that line.

I might be thinking of a different extremely-inappropriate Roddenberry story.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheBigAristotle posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that story, according to part 2 of the Star Trek 50 book, involved Gene Roddenberry using an leprechaun impression to deliver that line.

I might be thinking of a different extremely-inappropriate Roddenberry story.

hahaha nope.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I have to read this book.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

skasion posted:

hahaha nope.

"I hate bein' so much smarter than everyone around me as much as I hate seein' half me ex-wife's face when I look at me children! But the one thing I hold true to in this life is me love of [censored by CBS]."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Railing Kill posted:

If you talk like that, someone's sure to wander into this thread and start defending that absurd stance. :barf: