Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Uber atziri and her trio are way harder than guardians, harder than shaper for most builds so you may be able to handle them. Doing a flavor of the month build is always going to be tough to gear for in cases where they really need specific stats like HOWA. Too much competition. BV and everything else that tied to poison or ignite are going to drop off quite a bit. Totems should still be good, but really any decent build that's not highly gear dependent can do well starting out. '

edit: I spent a long time experimenting with starter builds instead of actually playing this league and settled on RF/SR. There's no way I'm wading into 5 new acts in hardcore without something extremely durable and it's the cheapest end game boss killer I could cook up to fit the bill.

I hadn't thought of SR for a beginning build. That may be the best choice since I could dodge attacks while still doing dmg. RF can be a starter build? I thought you needed a ton of HP/ES and then the phoenix shield on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
When it comes to navigating traps in Merc+ what is regarded as the best method if you're going to get hit, I don't really want to experiment as it may mean losing my character. From the reading I've done some sort of staunching/cauterising HP flask, a basalt flask and a quicksilver would allow you to simple run through the spinning traps and then spikes is just a case of avoiding them?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Fixit posted:

I hadn't thought of SR for a beginning build. That may be the best choice since I could dodge attacks while still doing dmg. RF can be a starter build? I thought you needed a ton of HP/ES and then the phoenix shield on top of it.

RF can be a starter, though not as friendly of one as a lot of builds. You need to know what you're doing, certainly. The key point is that RF's life degen is % based, and life flasks early on restore much more relative to your total health than at end game. Basically, you don't need nearly so much resist/flat regen to counter the burn degen while leveling if you can keep life flasks running. I usually run 2 saturated life flasks, 1 instant dousing flask, overflowing chalice (dirt cheap from day one), and 1 ruby flask. Chalice is really important for flask charge management because packs are small in normal/cruel and you aren't getting as many charges.

Obviously you could just forego all this and level with sr-cwc-firestorm or straight sr or anything really because leveling isn't all that hard. But, I think it's kinda fun juggling flasks. Keeps you alert instead of just sleepwalking from 1-60.

edit: Also, RF+SR annihilates early game stuff if you've get EE and EO online, which is very easy to do by level 30.

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 2, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I sold all my HOWA stuff to make a Pathfinder EK Nova build, hopefully to go LL eventually, and it's the most fun I've had on a character. My flasks are always up, it's incredible. The only sore spot right now is single target damage is really lacking, although I'm only level 58 right now. Would slow projectile support help that? How does Nova EK deal with single target damage anyway?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Do you have master herbalist? The free poison alone makes the single target okay.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Quick question about vaal pact. I have about 5.5k life and i'm going to try guardians and shaper. My life leech is super high, and I mostly sustain through leeching.

I have been using blood magic and whirling blades, since that makes whirling blades free w/ my regen. I've also been using blood rage as a big source of DPS. I've been told that in order to do guardians/shaper i'm going to need vaal pact. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to drop both of those if i take it?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MMF Freeway posted:

Do you have master herbalist? The free poison alone makes the single target okay.

Ah no, I went Nature's Boon - Master Alchemist. I'll pick up Herbalist next, thanks!

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

YoungSexualNorton posted:

RF can be a starter, though not as friendly of one as a lot of builds. You need to know what you're doing, certainly. The key point is that RF's life degen is % based, and life flasks early on restore much more relative to your total health than at end game. Basically, you don't need nearly so much resist/flat regen to counter the burn degen while leveling if you can keep life flasks running. I usually run 2 saturated life flasks, 1 instant dousing flask, overflowing chalice (dirt cheap from day one), and 1 ruby flask. Chalice is really important for flask charge management because packs are small in normal/cruel and you aren't getting as many charges.

Obviously you could just forego all this and level with sr-cwc-firestorm or straight sr or anything really because leveling isn't all that hard. But, I think it's kinda fun juggling flasks. Keeps you alert instead of just sleepwalking from 1-60.

edit: Also, RF+SR annihilates early game stuff if you've get EE and EO online, which is very easy to do by level 30.

Is a RF spell totem a viable early build to farm and what not? I don't know if it relies on your hp/es or not. Was thinking with totems wouldn't have to worry about life degen.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fixit posted:

Is a RF spell totem a viable early build to farm and what not? I don't know if it relies on your hp/es or not. Was thinking with totems wouldn't have to worry about life degen.

Since the totem is casting it, the damage and degen is based on the totem's life/es/resistances not yours. And yes it is quite viable to start off on.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean at this point it's a 'duh' thing but I'm amazed at how well I can do endgame content as LLRF. Even before, when I had maybe 5ex invested in the build I was able to do almost everything period and my mapping speed was pretty awesome. And of course with close to 50ex invested at this point the only thing I couldn't do happened to be yesterday when I had two guardians in a row with rippy as gently caress 8-mod maps get possessed by a ghost. Let me tell you, Chimera with global life, life/aoe boss steroids, global damage, extra damage as lightning, crit and boosted with a Warlord ghost is a real motherfucker.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Lechtansi posted:

Quick question about vaal pact. I have about 5.5k life and i'm going to try guardians and shaper. My life leech is super high, and I mostly sustain through leeching.

I have been using blood magic and whirling blades, since that makes whirling blades free w/ my regen. I've also been using blood rage as a big source of DPS. I've been told that in order to do guardians/shaper i'm going to need vaal pact. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to drop both of those if i take it?

As a fellow Blood Rage user I can't recommend taking VP. Unfortunately the only solution is using Atziri's Acuity, and you need high crit and 14+ ex for that.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Assuming map mods aren't crazy, is a typical life-based RF with around 8k life capable of handling guardians and maybe shaper?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
What level 10 map is good to shape?

Was going to go with underground river because it's fast & linear, but then it's kind of lovely to spawn a breach in, and the drop-bear boss is an rear end in a top hat, especially as fire elemental build.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

xiansi posted:

What level 10 map is good to shape?

Was going to go with underground river because it's fast & linear, but then it's kind of lovely to spawn a breach in, and the drop-bear boss is an rear end in a top hat, especially as fire elemental build.

Courtyard has three bosses, and Quay has a nice layout, but the boss can be an rear end in a top hat.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

BobbyK posted:

I sold all my HOWA stuff to make a Pathfinder EK Nova build, hopefully to go LL eventually, and it's the most fun I've had on a character. My flasks are always up, it's incredible. The only sore spot right now is single target damage is really lacking, although I'm only level 58 right now. Would slow projectile support help that? How does Nova EK deal with single target damage anyway?

Slot in Vaal Haste & Vaal Clarity and save them up for bosses. Pop em both and just go to town.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

BitterAvatar posted:

Assuming map mods aren't crazy, is a typical life-based RF with around 8k life capable of handling guardians and maybe shaper?

Regen is at least as important as your overall hp for these fights, but yeah probably. With the qualification that you are going to do a lot of running around against shaper and need to be good at managing the vortex orbs. My RF guide that I posted on the previous page has videos of all 5 being done deathless with a life-based rf character who starts out around 8300 hp and I think has almost 9k by the last video because I was tweaking gear/passives.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

redone npc models coming in 3.0 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1893640

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

GooberM posted:

drat, poo poo's HD yo

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Never realised how blocky the old models were.

Of course, someone's complaining they'll "miss" the old one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Not to mention people complaining that theyll have to someday upgrade their 10 year old pcs

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't think I have the energy to finish the last two challenges. I'm at like 620 maps and roughly halfway for the rest of the grind challenge. It's just too goddamn grindy.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
DoT changes part deux

tl;dr: Most modifiers won't affect DoT damage or duration unless explicitly stated; WED will be handled differently; ED's DoT buff only applies to the DoT of the skill, not any secondary poison/decay.

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013
Does this mean that my meatball raider is dead?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It's unlikely any build that worked well before will be truly dead, as in unable to clear content at all, but gamebreaking DoT based builds will no longer be so gamebreaking.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
sounds like they're sending it to the same place minions are at, where modifiers have to specifically mention dot damage to apply to them. can be confusing to parse, but most likely for the best especially since it's not like minion builds are severely underpowered or anything

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ABombpk posted:

Does this mean that my meatball raider is dead?

Huh? Ngamahu doesn't give a poo poo about DoTs.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Sounds like ED builds got completely trashed. The damage boost would have to be pretty large in raw numbers. The new WED working with SRS sounds pretty broken.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

lamentable dustman posted:

Sounds like ED builds got completely trashed. The damage boost would have to be pretty large in raw numbers. The new WED working with SRS sounds pretty broken.

Is there anything besides the decay change that fucks ED? I thought ED already worked the way that they are changing everything to work. And i know the decay change fucks ED - decay was half my DPS this season.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 3, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it sounds like projectile damage is no longer going to scale the dot damage

e: dot damage. deal with it

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 3, 2017

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That would mean that you could use GMP for 'free,' no?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Awesome! posted:

it sounds like projectile damage is no longer going to scale the dot damage

e: dot damage. deal with it

ED already works like this though, it doesn't double dip like poison does.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Lechtansi posted:

Is there anything besides the decay change that fucks ED? I thought ED already worked the way that they are changing everything to work. And i know the decay change fucks ED - decay was half my DPS this season.

Pretty sure ED DoT, poison (if using the poison dagger) and decay all scaled with projectile damage but could be wrong. Never played it myself, was just screwing around with it in PoB last week.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm sure they will allow some way to scale the damage.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

lamentable dustman posted:

Pretty sure ED DoT, poison (if using the poison dagger) and decay all scaled with projectile damage but could be wrong. Never played it myself, was just screwing around with it in PoB last week.

Slower projectiles definitely affects it, and i get thats going away. But the base damage doesn't scale with the projectile in the way that poison did, its always been a set base damage.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Is it just me or does it sound like they are planning to do an incredible amount of passive tree changes (either adding to or changing nodes, or adding new ones) just to address this double dipping thing?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems like a ton of work towards a single issue.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

pokchu posted:

Is it just me or does it sound like they are planning to do an incredible amount of passive tree changes (either adding to or changing nodes, or adding new ones) just to address this double dipping thing?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems like a ton of work towards a single issue.

It was a rather egregious issue. Wasn't there a build that went over 5 billion DPS with Burning Arrow?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Yeah, it's a huge deal and they were having to make a lot of other changes to accommodate it. I just hope that essence drain survives.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
other builds cap out at like, 600k to 800k dps with absolutely maxed out everything and insane crit chance/multiplier bonuses. the numbers i see for bleed/poison builds start at around 4 million and go up from there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

dyzzy posted:

That would mean that you could use GMP for 'free,' no?

I imagine that GMP/LMP/SP/FP will get tweaked to not allow this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Then maybe I'm wrong. I just hope that other major balance changes don't get pushed by the wayside.

• Locked thread