Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't believe there are any translations of the Bunker book though the site that is on may be the best bet of seeing it.

There's supplemental story stuff in the concert things because Taro is like that, basically.

I'm working on translations of all the supplemental material for the Dark Id's LP, including the Orbital Bunker Base Observation Journal, my own version of Memory Cage, and the 3 novellas that come included in the strategy guide (that I'm waiting for in the mail). It's a bit of a struggle collecting everything, since it's not all in one place like Grimoire NieR! I've mentioned it before, but I'd sell my (non-existent, granted) first-born to see scans of the novel that came with the Japanese Black Box Edition which apparently has an exclusive story about the original Devola and Popola...

Nina posted:

With the old level grinding method removed all I can say is well gently caress. I'm not sure if I have the patience for that

PLEASE don't tell me they got rid of the Golden Bunny??? Now I really regret deleting my file before the DLC came out. T_T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Irony.or.Death posted:

did you remember to hack it?

edit: oh missed your first playthrough note; yeah if something takes as long as that to kill, it's a clue that you shouldn't be trying to kill it right now

NOPE I loving KILLED IT AND ITS LITTLE FRIEND.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

dazat posted:

PLEASE don't tell me they got rid of the Golden Bunny??? Now I really regret deleting my file before the DLC came out. T_T
It's still there, but not as easily farmed since I guess you can't hack-activate it anymore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It still doesn't take very long to grind the bunny, you just have to attack it rather than hack it to activate it. Once it's up you can still hack it. I went from 88 to 99 in a few minutes just now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

It's still there, but not as easily farmed since I guess you can't hack-activate it anymore.

Just takes a little punching. If you watch its feet, you can actually see that your attacks move it, I don't think it needs to go a specific distance but it's a way you can tell that you're doing something.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Ularg posted:

NOPE I loving KILLED IT AND ITS LITTLE FRIEND.

if it's any consolation i did the same thing

also servo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well that was not what I was expecting for the end of this DLC. Yoko Taro is a strange strange man.

Definitely worth buying the DLC imo, but I can understand if the actual gameplay doesn't sound appealing enough for a bit of very weird story content.

I didn't figure out where the Square Enix CEO fight is yet though...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't figure out where the Square Enix CEO fight is yet though...

Go to the stands in the flooded city arena and tell the woman at the top of the steps that you want to fight "you know who". You have to talk to her a few times for her to let you.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Welp, I just finished all the main endings last night, deleted my data and filled in some of the plot blanks with some of the original Nier's plot dumps. I realized that getting caught up in some of the illogical plot points just doesn't serve the series at all. How the hell did 2B's memories get in her sword? How exactly did A2 destroy the tower by hacking in to 9S? It is a mystery!

This might be the biggest bummer of a game I've ever played. If Dark Souls is a meditation on life and death, this takes things much further with the existential dread. :(

I love how Nier's and Nier: A's data deletion works. In the original, the games asks if you want to save your child. To do so, you have to destroy your own existence. In Nier: A, you can save everyone you've grown attached to without deleting it, but the game asks you to sacrifice yourself to help someone else out. It's a nice distinction, and between the every-so slightly hopeful ending E and that, at least I wasn't completely bummed. Is Ending E ever cannon? The way to get it is so insanely meta that I just don't know.

At feels moot to talk much about how it plays, but I did think it was too easy on normal mode. Being able to heal from a pause menu, auto heal chips, and auto item-usage chips gut the game of any actual challenge. I kind of wish I would have played it on hard, but w/e. Maybe the whole point is to effortlessly cut through a horde of conscious beings to make you feel like an rear end in a top hat.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 3, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

il serpente cosmico posted:

How the hell did 2B's memories get in her sword?

it's just a thing the android swords can do, it comes up in at least a couple side quests

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where do you think weapon stories come from? :v:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

il serpente cosmico posted:

How the hell did 2B's memories get in her sword?

How long until we get a Virtuous Contract USB stick?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Where do you think weapon stories come from? :v:

Accord looking for a marketing gimmick?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dlc is not installing on my HK game despite having bought it from the HK psn?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think this is a particularly depressing game.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Irony.or.Death posted:

if it's any consolation i did the same thing

also servo

Wait... I wasn't supposed to fight Servo?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think this is a particularly depressing game.

Same. It's very life-affirming.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Let me rephrase that, parts of it are depressing, but it allows for more hope than any other Cavia game I've seen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so that actually leads me to a NIER question (not spoiling since it's a 7 year old game)

Dad Nier gets poo poo on a lot for basically dooming humanity by killing the Shadowlord, but how meaningful actually is that? The replicants were clearly sentient by this point, so were they just supposed to roll over and get possessed en masse?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so that actually leads me to a NIER question (not spoiling since it's a 7 year old game)

Dad Nier gets poo poo on a lot for basically dooming humanity by killing the Shadowlord, but how meaningful actually is that? The replicants were clearly sentient by this point, so were they just supposed to roll over and get possessed en masse?
I believe the choices were either "Do that" or "Die to the Black Scrawl".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Human kind was hosed long before the events of Nier, his actions during the game are basically just a drop in the ocean at that point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CJacobs posted:

Human kind was hosed long before the events of Nier, his actions during the game are basically just a drop in the ocean at that point.

yeah that's kind of the impression I got, from the spoilers I had before the game I figured Nier killing humanity would be some big hubristic moment, but it came across more as "Nier dooms humanity (who were extremely hosed anyway, and who's to say the Replicants aren't meaningfully "human" anyhow)"

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah that's kind of the impression I got, from the spoilers I had before the game I figured Nier killing humanity would be some big hubristic moment, but it came across more as "Nier dooms humanity (who were extremely hosed anyway, and who's to say the Replicants aren't meaningfully "human" anyhow)"

I think the main crux is that the replicants themselves were going to die off very shortly after. Humanity presumably would have survived if it hadn't been for the whole nier/shadowlord business.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The DLC says I need to play through the main game before I can access it. Is that why is still says Waiting to install in my notifications? By main game, do they mean just Route A or the whole thing?

*Ugh, I think I bought the wrong version for my version of the game.

dazat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 3, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dazat posted:

The DLC says I need to play through the main game before I can access it. Is that why is still says Waiting to install in my notifications? By main game, do they mean just Route A or the whole thing?

The DLC is in 3 separate locations and each one has certain requirements for entering it. Between that and the level recommendations for the end of the challenges it's not something you're going to be finishing till the very end of the game.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The DLC is in 3 separate locations and each one has certain requirements for entering it. Between that and the level recommendations for the end of the challenges it's not something you're going to be finishing till the very end of the game.

It looks like I bought the wrong version of the DLC for my game (the new Chinese/Every Other Language version versus the plain English/Japanese version on the Hong Kong PSN Store). Given that and the notion of having to play all the way through the game AGAIN after having already did 100% completion & deleting my file, I think I'll consider my $12 a donation to Taro Yoko's war chest and just stream the new content...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Let me rephrase that, parts of it are depressing, but it allows for more hope than any other Cavia game I've seen.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's this interview I remember reading (but have never been able to find again, sorry) where someone asked Taro Yoko why he made such depressing games, citing Nier as an example. He asked why they thought Nier was depressing and the interviewer responded with "Well I mean, everyone dies," to which Yoko Taro responded "What's important isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

Yoko Taro's games are weird an unexpectedly heavy, but - assuming I didn't just dream up that interview - I think his response reveals a lot about his thought process. Nier's actions may have doomed humanity, but humanity was previously damned regardless. There's a kind of twisted release in what follows, which extends to Nier's own arc as well.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 3, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nier is pretty :negative: over all but there is at least the inklings for somebody's survival in the final endings.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

There's this interview I remember reading (but have never been able to find again, sorry) where someone asked Taro Yoko why he made such depressing games, citing Nier as an example. He asked why they thought Nier was depressing and the interviewer responded with "Well I mean, everyone dies," to which Yoko Taro responded "What's important isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

Yoko Taro's games are weird an unexpectedly heavy, but - assuming I didn't just dream up that interview - I think his response reveals a lot about his thought process. Nier's actions may have doomed humanity, but humanity was previously damned regardless. There's a kind of twisted release in what follows, which extends to Nier's own arc as well.

sounds like this one http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-nier-automata-director-taro-yoko-w472664

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hadn't read that one before (so thanks for the link!). He expresses a similar viewpoint in that interview, but the one I'm thinking of I read several years ago.

Though his comments here at least confirm I'm not just misremembering something.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So what am I supposed to do with these golden enemies? There's this small guy with two goliaths that are level 25. I'm level 24 but I do poo poo all to them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Turn it to easy and go do something else. :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ularg posted:

So what am I supposed to do with these golden enemies? There's this small guy with two goliaths that are level 25. I'm level 24 but I do poo poo all to them.

Hack 'em, if you're on route B. Otherwise, you're in it for the long haul.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

dazat posted:

I'm working on translations of all the supplemental material for the Dark Id's LP, including the Orbital Bunker Base Observation Journal, my own version of Memory Cage, and the 3 novellas that come included in the strategy guide (that I'm waiting for in the mail). It's a bit of a struggle collecting everything, since it's not all in one place like Grimoire NieR! I've mentioned it before, but I'd sell my (non-existent, granted) first-born to see scans of the novel that came with the Japanese Black Box Edition which apparently has an exclusive story about the original Devola and Popola...

Thank you so much! I'm excited to get to read them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ularg posted:

Come back later.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'll come back later. I still have nightmares of the 15 minute bossfights from FF13.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Welp, I finished the game! So spoilers, I guess. Not sure about the ending though, not a lot of build up towards the climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaSYhXsj-1w

:v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And there goes my data. My time with this game is finally at an end.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ularg posted:

Welp, I finished the game! So spoilers, I guess. Not sure about the ending though, not a lot of build up towards the climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaSYhXsj-1w

:v:
When Jackass gave me the mackerel I forgot about it for an hour, then remebered "Oh yeah, she wanted me to eat this for science or something," so I did while standing right next to a save point I didn't use cause I figured "If someting happens I'll just respawn and collect my stuff."

:suicide:

Ain't even mad, that one was on me. Still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Regy Rusty posted:

And there goes my data. My time with this game is finally at an end.

What happened?

Ularg fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 3, 2017