Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Witcher 3's major flaw is that there are only like two ambient conversations between NPCs per area and they repeat every time you walk by. Aye, so it were

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The shadow hearts series has good battle music and also I'm not sure if the vocals on said battle music are actual lyrics or just gibberish

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Witcher 3's major flaw is that there are only like two ambient conversations between NPCs per area and they repeat every time you walk by. Aye, so it were

I could do with a bit less spitting when I walk past a guard.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Chet Faliszek just left Valve, hopefully he can apply his comedy writing somewhere that actually makes games.

FirstAidKite posted:

The shadow hearts series has good battle music and also I'm not sure if the vocals on said battle music are actual lyrics or just gibberish

Shadow Hearts 3's batle music annoyed me because the chanting they sampled sounds like somebody saying "haven't got all day" and it's like the game was rushing me,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EFHMwKdkY

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wow, so that era of Valve is well and truly dead. It ended years ago, but this was the last confirmation that it's permanent that I needed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Your kind breeds defeatism, dessertion, and disease

Lurdiak posted:

I witch the world of Wisher 3 wasn't so unrelentingly pessimistic and bleak. I mean I get it that that's their thing, a medieval fantasy setting that doesn't overlook how bad medieval times actually were for 99% of the population, but it's a bit exhausting that half my quests end with someone dying miserably or losing their home or whatever.

This is reasonable, but coming off Skyrim being the last open world fantasy game i played it was a refreshing change from singlehandedly improving everyone's lives.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mutata posted:

Wow, so that era of Valve is well and truly dead. It ended years ago, but this was the last confirmation that it's permanent that I needed.

Gaben can sleep well at night knowing that Valve will never truly release neither a bad game, nor one the majority of gamers would call "A bit disappointing".

The figured out a mathematical formula at Valve that revealed the longer a game development company is around, the larger the possibility is that the company would release a title that falls under one of those two above descriptors.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

I witch the world of Wisher 3 wasn't so unrelentingly pessimistic and bleak. I mean I get it that that's their thing, a medieval fantasy setting that doesn't overlook how bad medieval times actually were for 99% of the population, but it's a bit exhausting that half my quests end with someone dying miserably or losing their home or whatever.

oddium posted:

here mute the music and play this in the background all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhLL9JHfLcM

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why is Street Fighter V so ugly?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Both guys that work on it are trying their hardest.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

in other news this game was first released in 2006 and made this joke:

Which is whatever but he went on and on with the Zero Wing dialog and the joke just kind of worn out its welcome :geno:

The other joke with this guy though is that he's a Dracula reference (he had all the staple moves as his Castlevania counterpart) but he was naked under his cape and when he opened it to shoot fireballs his junk was covered by a mosaic filter. That was pretty funny.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

Which is whatever but he went on and on with the Zero Wing dialog and the joke just kind of worn out its welcome :geno:

The other joke with this guy though is that he's a Dracula reference (he had all the staple moves as his Castlevania counterpart) but he was naked under his cape and when he opened it to shoot fireballs his junk was covered by a mosaic filter. That was pretty funny.

considering this was originally a japanese indie game, that might have been added in by the translation, but i guess it depends on whether that meme ever had any sort of presence over there, and i'm not sure what the original text could be that would result in them doing something like that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mutata posted:

its sad. i loved the half life series, that sad thing is 3 would never have lived up to the hype. i mean it could have been 2016 DOOM but probaly not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Are those supposed to be smiley faces?

I'm pretty sure those are just smiley faces and I love it that this badass martial artist just wears an outfit covered in smiley faces. He looks like he's just wearing some dad pajamas.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
after getting persona 5 to the point where basically all I have left is deciding to do ng+ to finish a plat, I decided to hop back over to FF15 for a bit and mess around with all the stuff they've added

all it's doing is making me wish I could play botw instead

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like I liked this enough to beat it but drat it's weird and has issues

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Why is Street Fighter V so ugly?

Saint Freak posted:

Both guys that work on it are trying their hardest.

I don't see any problems

http://twitter.com/Killbawx/status/859250020054388736

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's just hoe powerful that shoryuken was.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's also cool they added nier music to ff15, but in a way it's bad, because reminding me of those games does this one absolutely no favors

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I liked the post someone made in this forum that the 4 lines of the Engine Blade story in Nier:A told FF15's story better than all of FF15

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just smiley faces and I love it that this badass martial artist just wears an outfit covered in smiley faces. He looks like he's just wearing some dad pajamas.

That's just karnov fanart

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not be rude to cool guy Yang

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

Yeah I recall that engine being kinda assy, but the games were charming and had neat level ideas.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember when I ran across Yang when I played Final Fantasy 2(4) and thinking "Awesome, warrior kung fu monk!" He does seem the type to wear dad pajamas all the time since he likes to sleep in.

Captain Invictus posted:

Dance, dance Karnov Yang. Also, Invictus, check your PM's.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Yeah I recall that engine being kinda assy, but the games were charming and had neat level ideas.

the engine wasn't the only problem, nolf1 insisted on cate being a super stealther but it was almost impossible to be stealthy because the game has virtually no mechanics for stealth or good ways to nonlethally dispatch enemies but also enemies have insanely accurate aim so going gun crazy gets you shot up really fast and sometimes getting caught is a failure condition

nolf2 is a lot better but it still suffers from going in heavier on stealth in its level design without any real solid mechanics for it, they added a shadow system but the system is literally "if you crouch in a room with the lights off for a few seconds you become invisible" and the only upside is that the shooting is better

they're still better than shogo: mobile armor division which is basically the 90s version of titanfall but less fun and written by people who wanted to write edgy gundam/robotech fanfiction that just hits this weird area where it is both full of goofy humor but you are also murdering dozens of people violently and neither side of the game's writing reconciles itself with the other

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 3, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i have been playing Bioshock collection and 1 seems to have some game breaking glitchs. so if you go to psn home while you playing bioshock 1, the game will hard freeze and be render unplayable. i thought it my just be a online only copy issue but apperently its hard copy as well. hosed up thing is infinite works just fine. anyone else have this issue?

The PS4 port of Bioshock 1 is dogshit, I got it to crash by doing such things as taking a photo and firing my gun.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

This is from 7 pages ago but I wanted to quote it because lol

I'm not sure if you mean "lol haha this guys having a mental breakdown over a videogame" or "lol but Heroes of the Storm is such a deep and enjoyable strategy game" but either way theres a bit of delusion going on.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I always pick ladies when playing video games so I am stoked that more and more games are featuring ladies as the protagonists :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I tell you one of the nicest experiences in gaming for me was when I could make a fairly accurate reproduction of myself in Dragon's Dogma and then play as that character. It was nice to actually see myself in a game when usually I can play as a dude or a lady who does not have my figure - and it really made me think about how this much be how most fit white dudes feel when they play games? They can pick up almost any game and go "ayup that's me" without much trouble and that's... I'm jealous of that!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a dude, but I like to pick ladies purely because so few worlds are saved by ladies and I'm far more interested in that than watching another white guy save existence.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I bounce between. If the character creator lets me make a really close reproduction of myself or the game is extremely heavy on RP, I'll go guy. Otherwise, I'll just go with what looks cool. Some games I pick the lady simply because they have a lot more customization and accessory options.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Awesome. Would you mind if I made this my avatar?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They built up this giant way too much in Witcher 3. It made an entire island vacate in fear, butched 30 mighty warriors, it's the last of its kind, a primeval terror from the untamed age of the world, but then you fight it and you just kinda hit it a couple times and it dies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

I always pick ladies when playing video games so I am stoked that more and more games are featuring ladies as the protagonists :D

Same

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think BioWare said that like over half of Mass Effect players didn't even touch the customization options so they went with the default male Shepard.

If your game has a character customizer, it should have no defaults. Make the player either actively choose something or get a random character

That also reminds me there was some survival game (Rust I think) where you do get a random character, and there were people complaining when they rolled a female character and couldn't change it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think BioWare said that like over half of Mass Effect players didn't even touch the customization options so they went with the default male Shepard.

If your game has a character customizer, it should have no defaults. Make the player either actively choose something or get a random character

Good grief, then that means they missed out on the best shepherd! My renegade badass shepherd was mean to everyone and she sounded like someone the reapers wouldn't want to mess with!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A big reason customization options are so limited in Saints Row 3 and 4 compared to 2 is that the devs checked their stats and something like 80% of players didn't do any customization at all and a significant percentage of those that did just kinda changed hairstyle and hair color and dressed their guy in jeans and a t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lurdiak posted:

A big reason customization options are so limited in Saints Row 3 and 4 compared to 2 is that the devs checked their stats and something like 80% of players didn't do any customization at all and a significant percentage of those that did just kinda changed hairstyle and hair color and dressed their guy in jeans and a t-shirt.

Why are people so unoriginal :(

My problem with Saints Row 4 is that I kept changing my character/gender every fifteen minutes so I could have a new boss

• Locked thread