Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I didn't - what did he say?

I only caught the end and he was saying corbyn will cost everyone £1500 a year which seems not very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

I only caught the end and he was saying corbyn will cost everyone £1500 a year which seems not very much

Can I set up a direct debit?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

OwlFancier posted:

Does she live in a park in a shed?
Britain has the smallest houses of any rich nation, so probably

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Going by the graun liveblog he also said the UK could walk out of the EU without paying a penny.

All negotiations in good faith of course.

Oh, and that eu citizens currently here would enjoy almost all the same rights as the übermench englander but didn't specify what they would lose or the details of the armbands they would be forced to wear.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

A meek British man goes door to door, hat in hand. "Pardon me, good sir, I am your current prime minister Jeremy Corbyn, but you can call me jermy or jeremy. Could I bother you for a small donation of £1500? It certainly helps our government, I assure you."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
£1500 a year sounds like a reasonable amount per year to end foodbank Britain and save the NHS and not be thrown in a detention center by terror police for wearing cufflinks while the regular police are reduced to begging outside the Co-Op.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

DesperateDan posted:

Going by the graun liveblog he also said the UK could walk out of the EU without paying a penny.

This is true - though obviously there would be terrible ramifications for any future trading relationship.

This is all the start of the negotiations. Posturing. The EU wants 100 billion, we're saying we could pay nothing.

The final figure will be in the middle, amortised over so long a period that nobody cares.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

£1500 a year sounds like a reasonable amount per year to end foodbank Britain and save the NHS and not be thrown in a detention center by terror police for wearing cufflinks while the regular police are reduced to begging outside the Co-Op.

I got a pamphlet from the Conservatives here (I live in the US, I don't know why they sent it) that says that "Jeremy Corbyn will have you arrested by 'Friendship Police' and will force you to spend two hours being nice to 'Poles'" and then it shows a picture of a man in a silly hat.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

This is true - though obviously there would be terrible ramifications for any future trading relationship.

This is all the start of the negotiations. Posturing. The EU wants 100 billion, we're saying we could pay nothing.

The final figure will be in the middle, amortised over so long a period that nobody cares.

I dont know what amortised means but yes. We shouldn't get too worked up about the opening salvos

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zephro posted:

Britain has the smallest houses of any rich nation, so probably

Also, most of them would be condemned as unfit for human habitation in a civilised country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look who thinks they're too good to pay £250,000 to live in a single room concrete blockhouse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

Can someone explain what was wrong with this post please?

The poo poo gimmick mod said in Europol "lemondrizzle has to include a picture of stalin every time he posts in this thread from now on or i'm probating him", which lemondrizzle did for a bit.

And then he got probated for not doing it in this thread. Which isn't Europol. Haha, isn't it funny how arbitrary our Maoist mod is? (The answer is no)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

blowfish posted:

Also, most of them would be condemned as unfit for human habitation in a civilised country.

I was delivering campaign letters in what was honestly the most depressing council estate I've ever seen in my life last night. People deserve proper homes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Breath Ray posted:

alright moneybags, can you pay my £1.5k for me then?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Bristol is still the best city

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/859493104667299846

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

alright moneybags, can you pay my £1.5k for me then?
I assume it'd scale, so someone on the median income would pay £1.5k, someone on the poverty line would receive money in net, and someone in the top 1% would be dragged through the streets by Corbyn's Friendship Police.

If not, it's not a very good leftist policy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Did I miss something or were there just 15-20 angry guys yelling stuff?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Why are labour so crap at costing things and why don't they have the figures now, what's all this next week stuff

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Get out, nazi.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/859672785987219457

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry that the angry guys weren't blackshirts to make you feel more comfortable

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

GaussianCopula posted:

To save you time In the future. This is the first and last time I will interact with you.

Get the gently caress out you Nazi gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Sorry that the angry guys weren't blackshirts to make you feel more comfortable

Why would blackshirts be opposing Theresa May?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/859706500260016128

Tomorrow's results will be fascinating.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

not wearing a belt, tie too short.

honestly I expect better from the aristocracy

If you get a suit made from the kind of place he probably gets suits made you dont need a belt.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah a belt isn't essential or even desirable when wearing a suit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You do, but it's the verb, not the noun.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Mugatu's Derelicte made a big impact I see

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
He will be wearing braces for comfort as he is somewhat old school

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially on his way out of the dock.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Wearing a belt or braces shows you can't afford a tailor that makes trousers to perfect fit

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Here is a man who is very upset with Tim Farron and Labour:

https://twitter.com/sam_lister_/status/859700774661697536

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

In converting European law into UK law through the so-called great repeal bill, the government will grant itself the power, as its white paper states, “to correct the statute book where necessary”. “Correcting the statute book” will come to be seen as one of the great political euphemisms of our time.

The corrections will take the form of secondary legislation, which means using something called a statutory instrument. The government estimates that 800 to 1,000 of these instruments will be required – on top of the usual total – and their impact will be profound, as they are dealing with huge issues. In practice, there is almost nothing parliament can do to challenge them. As the Brexit analyst Ian Dunt points out, the bill is “shaping up to be the single biggest executive power grab in Britain’s postwar history”.

Statutory instruments cannot be amended. Due to a combination of government control over the parliamentary timetable and a number of arcane and archaic procedures, hardly any have been blocked in the 70 years of their existence. Already their power is freely abused. They are supposed to be reserved for technical matters: straightening out laws in ways that don’t alter our relationship to the state. Increasingly, they are used to sneak more significant changes through parliament. As the journalist Jane Fae reports, 1,900 a year were used, on average, by the last Labour government (a high enough number, which probably incorporated plenty of abuses); under the Conservatives this has risen to more than 3,000.

After promising “an outright ban” on fracking under national parks, David Cameron’s government reversed the promise by smuggling a statutory instrument through parliament. This is likely to set the pattern, in a new Conservative government, for “correcting the statute book”, not least because, May’s administration explains, parliamentary scrutiny will have to be “balanced” by “the speed of this process”. Dunt observes that “nearly half a century of workers’ rights, environmental standards, health and safety laws, consumer protections, animal rights, and countless other areas are now at the mercy of Conservative ministers, who can use a rainy Friday afternoon, when everyone is down the pub, to finally start rubbing out bits of law they never liked”.
All aboard the gently caress train toot toot!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/03/true-conservatives-fake-ones-destroying-britian-theresa-may-real-patriots

(The graun are going all out on pandering to moderates and "true conservatives" lately for some reason.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

Here is a man who is very upset with Tim Farron and Labour:

https://twitter.com/sam_lister_/status/859700774661697536

Good to see that labour's pro Brexit strategy has retained voters like this.

Oh wait

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/859703365944717312

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jabby posted:

The Express has revealed some details of the Tories first campaign poster:

Not sure about it myself. The 'tax bombshell' bit is standard, but from what I recall most people don't want our army bombing people overseas anymore.

Also from the same article the Tories are planning a 'dossier' on Labour's spending commitments and revenue raisers to demonstrate that they aren't fully costed. A couple of weeks prior to the manifesto coming out with costings. At least it will be easy for Labour to stay on message in refuting it I guess.

EDIT: Here it is in all it's glory.

The army doesn't use bombs. That's the air force's job. How can we rely on the Theresa May Party to give are boys the STRONG AND STABLE leadership they need if they're so ignorant of basic facts

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ewan posted:

Wearing a belt or braces shows you can't afford a tailor that makes trousers to perfect fit

The tailor I use favours braces and I can see why. The perfect fit would be fairly snug and uncomfortable if you put on a bit of weight over the summer for instance. I think belts could become the new sitting down in terms of health scares. It can't be good for us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

All aboard the gently caress train toot toot!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/03/true-conservatives-fake-ones-destroying-britian-theresa-may-real-patriots

(The graun are going all out on pandering to moderates and "true conservatives" lately for some reason.)

It's because it's a poo poo paper

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

The army doesn't use bombs. That's the air force's job. How can we rely on the Theresa May Party to give are boys the STRONG AND STABLE leadership they need if they're so ignorant of basic facts
They should have said troops instead to remove the ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's because it's a poo poo paper

Well yes, you're right, but I don't recall them openly and explicitly addressing their content towards tories in the past.

• Locked thread