Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah there are a TON of anime tropes in LOGH, just not ones typically associated with modern anime. Among other things, how the protagonists are like the smartest, most beautiful, young and noble people in the whole universe and also the entire character of someone like Reinhard's sister. In fact, most of the side characters fall into any number of archetypes that are immediately apparent if you've played something like Fire Emblem or Suikoden or watched pretty much any fantasy/sci-fi anime (of course in a lot of cases these were inspired by LOGH).

It's fantastic though. I think the more appropriate description is that it moves far beyond the tropes to tell a story that's genuinely engaging by most narrative metrics.

Just skip the theme tunes. They will give you a bad impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sad King Billy posted:

Just skip the theme tunes. They will give you a bad impression.

I think they're good for establishing tone, but it's still a good idea to just outright skip Season 4's opening theme. A really, really good idea. :yikes:

Also don't skip any TCW episodes you weaklings

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cross-Section posted:

Also don't skip any TCW episodes you weaklings
Not even the Jar-Jar episodes.
Especially the Jar-Jar episodes. :getin:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NTRabbit posted:

It did, but nowhere near as bad as the chemistry-free romp in the hillside as AotC, or the confusingly unsupported angst of RotS

AotC improves quite a bit if you cut out the frolicking scene. It just shoots the pacing of the film right in the head.

I really like the Banking Clan episode of TCW. It's got a lot of not-terrible Padme stuff, and Anakin shows his dark side. It's good foreshadowing for the end of the Clone War. I wanted to hate the Jar-Jar episodes, but clone troopers weaponizing his incompetence will never not be funny.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

clone troopers weaponizing his incompetence will never not be funny.

"Let him go up there to negotiate, as soon as the slapstick starts we can use it to kick off an ambush and maybe walk out of this alive". It was a beautiful thing :allears:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Icon Of Sin posted:

"Let him go up there to negotiate, as soon as the slapstick starts we can use it to kick off an ambush and maybe walk out of this alive". It was a beautiful thing :allears:

The Imperial Stormtroopers took the wrong lesson away from Jar Jar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The episodes he was with Mace Windu were pretty good too, and actually humanised the character a little.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tsob posted:

The episodes he was with Mace Windu were pretty good too, and actually humanised the character a little.

The Temple of Doom homage? I saw that one for the first time the other day, and yeah, it wasn't that bad. Thinking of going back to Clone Wars and filling in the gaps while we wait for Rebels to return.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

Jar Jar getting jiggy with an alien queen while "Mastering Mace" is relegated to sidekick status is a concept that really should not work, but I'm so glad it did.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Plus it very purposefully highlighted Windu's insufferable Jedi arrogance, which I appreciated.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The only episodes to skip for TCW are those lovely 4-parter droid episodes. Skip to the final five minutes of that arc to watch that bitching explosion, but that's about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

VaultAggie posted:

The only episodes to skip for TCW are those lovely 4-parter droid episodes. Skip to the final five minutes of that arc to watch that bitching explosion, but that's about it.

I bore through it just because I like Republic Commando enough.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They four-part droid episodes really aren't that bad, but the Padme ones are downright horrible (one banking one aside).

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Mon Calamari episodes put me to sleep.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A lot of the four parters tended to drag for me, and it's a big reason why I prefer Rebels overall.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Jar Jar getting jiggy with an alien queen while "Mastering Mace" is relegated to sidekick status is a concept that really should not work, but I'm so glad it did.

This is a lot of TCW though. Fuckin Maul coming back from the dead with wackass robolegs? Should not have worked.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Someone in the CineD Star Wars thread said Rebels is the worst Star Wars. I almost got triggered.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ShineDog posted:

This is a lot of TCW though. Fuckin Maul coming back from the dead with wackass robolegs? Should not have worked.

It's a remarkable creative achievement. His appearances on Rebels were gold. The writing was good, the voice actor killed it, the mo-cap/animation was expressive. Honestly, I'm kinda sorry he's gone.

That's one more Force user off the table before ANH. Who's next ?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

teagone posted:

Someone in the CineD Star Wars thread said Rebels is the worst Star Wars. I almost got triggered.

It was in response to somebody linking the Kenobi/Maul fight, too. :cripes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Go easy on CineD, they're brain-damaged.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, when I initially heard it I rolled my eyes super hard but then when I got around to watching Clone Wars I was amazed by how well it worked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah, when I initially heard it I rolled my eyes super hard but then when I got around to watching Clone Wars I was amazed by how well it worked.

I think the trick was that Maul was ultimately just a blank slate with a really cool design that they made into a pretty interesting character.

E: Starting to remember why I stopped visiting that thread, holy poo poo

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

teagone posted:

Someone in CinD once told me The Trueman Show was better than Fargo. They are beyond hope.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Someone in CinD once told me The Trueman Show was better than Fargo. They are beyond hope.

Maybe they thought you said Farto.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I stopped following Clone Wars after season 1 and remember rolling my eyes at Maul coming back too. But it wasn't just the fact that they were bringing him back. The fact that they were bringing him back after bringing in his unseen brother you've never heard about named loving SAVAGE OPRESS. On paper this is some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever read but it turned out good despite all odds.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a very Admiral Bonetopick name.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DancinBrud posted:

Plus it very purposefully highlighted Windu's insufferable Jedi arrogance, which I appreciated.

Yeah, and showing how fantastic he was at all the physical Jedi abilities also helped to highlight how staggeringly incompetent he was at the more contemplative stuff.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 3, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm also not sure why everyone raves about The Phantom Menace's big Duel Of The Fates lightsaber set piece. For me its kinda taken down by the hilarious way that Obi Wan does a flip and Maul just stands motionless while he gets cut down.

More on-topic, Rebels has done a great job at blending all the different lightsaber styles seen in the films and somehow making them feel coherent to this world. Particular praise to the way they had Vader fight in such a constricted and controlled manner, compared to the willy nilly flips of the Inquisitors. Rebels is very very good at using action scenes to build characterization.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vader can't do the flippy bullshit anymore, so they showed how he was now all about overwhelming power while fighting against Ahsoka, who was more about speed and highly refined technique. Vader was brutally bending the force to his will, Ahsoka flowing with the force, etc

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also you should just skip all the Padme episodes. I don't think there was a single one that was enjoyable. Which is a pity.

The one with the space bankers has the best Anakin moment in history.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

MrJacobs posted:

Which one is that? It's been a while since I've seen the episodes, and so far the best Anakin moment for me is his resolution of the Satine hostage situation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MrJacobs posted:

It's not his heart breaking as Ahsoka leaves the order or Anakin gunslunging to show off in front of Obi-Wan, so it can't be.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Ahsoka Lives!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Which one is that? It's been a while since I've seen the episodes, and so far the best Anakin moment for me is his resolution of the Satine hostage situation.

From "Who will brand themselves a a cold-blooded killer? :smug:" to "This guy, right here! :twisted:" as a lightsaber pierced the moron's chest and Vader's theme played lightly in the background for a few seconds. A beautiful scene.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anakin was pretty cool in that series

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Icon Of Sin posted:

From "Who will brand themselves a a cold-blooded killer? :smug:" to "This guy, right here! :twisted:" as a lightsaber pierced the moron's chest and Vader's theme played lightly in the background for a few seconds. A beautiful scene.

I love that scene so drat much.

"Anakin!" "What? He was going to blow up the ship." as that nice, heroic swell of Darth Vader theme briefly plays.

Just got done with another re-watch of the entire series via Netflix, and that drat show does so much to make even Jar Jar a likeable character. Having Anakin visibly, slowly go from an idealistic Jedi to bitter and increasingly disillusioned as the series goes on while Sheev coaxes him along from time to time is just so drat wonderful compared to what the movies give us.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC6F-Yf0dzo

"you're a goddamned jedi! Fight fair!"

"Fine I'll fight you fair"

BAM! Punches him with his robot hand. I still laugh ever time I watch it.

He altered the deal, pray he does not alter it any further.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*punches robot hand*

DINK

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot about that scene, the little tink is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Personally I'm still a fan of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5G9RIFsCIc

Even as an animatic with minimal motion I still find it really cool. I only wish those episodes had gotten the full animation treatment, because season 6 was really set to be a strong one going by the partially done episodes they did release. Between that scene, and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UwklEWJvmg

The arc is probably the best Anakin stuff the show ever did, both martially and emotionally, but never reached the finish line despite it.

• Locked thread