Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

*roasts Samsung*

Has the quality of their products definitely gone down lately? Iirc they were the go-to for top quality TVs a few years ago. And my Galaxy S3 was probably the best, most intuitive, and functional phone I've ever had. Next to my old Blackberry Curve. That thing was a beast.

And I gotta give Samsung respect for making an IED phone. Pretty good prank if I ever saw one.

At least I don't have an HTC...Ooof. But this S7 ain't too bad. Probably just a disappointing as any new device is these days. Samsung definitely seems like a "The mighty has fallen" situation, though.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/Androidheadline/status/859746039024107522

from your tiny lips to the ears of, gently caress I don't know, I didn't read the article beyond bringing the tweet here to point out that there's a somewhat current phone for people with tiny little trump hands so there's no need to keep complaining about how big all the phones are

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

from your tiny lips to the ears of, gently caress I don't know, I didn't read the article beyond bringing the tweet here to point out that there's a somewhat current phone for people with tiny little trump hands so there's no need to keep complaining about how big all the phones are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3cyoZG3mQ

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

That guy loves the sound of his own voice.

There, I said it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That guy loves the sound of his own voice.

There, I said it.

Better than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GFczQLorw

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hate is a strong word, but quite fitting for how I feel about the unbox therapy guy.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm still rocking the original OnePlus One (still plenty fast enough for the latest games and has fast charging/good battery life). Are the newer models that bad? I really haven't felt the need to upgrade yet although its been like 3 years now. I'm just surprised by the thread title, is all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fartzone_42069 posted:

Has the quality of their products definitely gone down lately? Iirc they were the go-to for top quality TVs a few years ago. And my Galaxy S3 was probably the best, most intuitive, and functional phone I've ever had. Next to my old Blackberry Curve. That thing was a beast.

And I gotta give Samsung respect for making an IED phone. Pretty good prank if I ever saw one.

At least I don't have an HTC...Ooof. But this S7 ain't too bad. Probably just a disappointing as any new device is these days. Samsung definitely seems like a "The mighty has fallen" situation, though.

Has the quality gone down? Not really, it was never there. Not where it mattered, anyway, which is in the software. I wouldn't buy one of their TVs, not because the picture isn't great (it really is), but because the software shows you advertising in the UI and when you change the volume. They ended up having to walk back a "feature" where they'd insert ads into your content when you streamed it to the TV. I'm not paying four digits for something to advertise to me in normal use. (For what it's worth, when my 2007 Samsung TV died this year, I replaced it with a Vizio E-series with nothing smart but with Chromecast built in. I love it.)

Samsung's phones, again, aren't built like poo poo. They have flaws, sure, some of them might explode killing you and your loved ones because they didn't make the battery hole large enough, but by and large they feel okay. Everything that's a letdown is in their poorly written extensions to a platform that Google has made. It's apparent when you use a Pixel, a phone that has outdated internals but is consistently responsive and fluid, next to any Samsung you choose. Optimizing for the the platform is a task that Google has always left to the OEMs and once you use daily something that actually feels like a premium device, it's obvious Samsung (and to be fair, every other OEM) just can't do that.

I could talk about how Samsung constantly wants to hedge its bets, trying to make users buy in to the Samsung ecosystem rather than Android by reimplementing (poorly) everything that Google requires all Android OEMs to include, but that's old hat and at least understandable from Samsung's perspective. It sucks for the users, but it's something rational.

Samung, at least in the smartphone arena, reminds me a lot of gaming computer manufacturers like Alienware or Razer. They're flashy, they advertise on features of dubious value, they include every feature they can warranted or not, and they expose a billion useless settings to the user. On the one hand, I'd say it's because they lack aesthetic taste and couldn't make "good" decisions about UI and I think there's some truth to that. But I really think it's more that they view feature count as a good thing and settings toggles as a dick measurement and the people that want a sick gaming laptop respond to those kinds of things--flash over substance, regardless of whether a feature implementation has merit. It demos well in a store and it looks blingy and that matters a ton more to most people than scrolling that lacks jank and a friendly duplicate-app-free app drawer. After all, the carrier is their customer and the user is not.

They rose to prominence on a very lovely product. The original Galaxy S had so many things wrong with it, hardware and software, that it would double the length of this already too-long post to enumerate them. But it succeeded because they insisted on advertising it as one thing instead of a unique device on each carrier and the screen looked great so it demoed well. They know where their bread is buttered and honestly there's no hate here, they pretty much saved Android by doing what they did. Even if they hurt the ecosystem now, they are its main driver so we should be thankful.

And I meant what I said, making a dock that's the dumbest idea of all time because there's an audience who wants that dumb idea is not bad in itself. I wish them success. It's stupid, but it's harmless stupid, and it helps the ecosystem on the whole. It's just kind of neat that that's their wheelhouse. It's a niche that really should be exploited no matter how retarded it is, simply because in capitalism the goal is to extract money from retards. Yes, a Chromebox with the Play Store would do exactly the same thing a million times better and be cheaper, but if someone out there wants to not be able to use the phone and their computer at the same time wants to drop money on something useless, it's cool they can make a buck there. This really is what they excel at doing so I sincerely wish them the best. (I also like Microsoft looking hapless and this does that too so it's even more delicious.)

Does that answer your question?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAUXTON posted:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Flayer posted:

I'm still rocking the original OnePlus One (still plenty fast enough for the latest games and has fast charging/good battery life). Are the newer models that bad? I really haven't felt the need to upgrade yet although its been like 3 years now. I'm just surprised by the thread title, is all.

Did you have to flash your tits to get the original one?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Variable_H posted:

Did you have to flash your tits to get the original one?
No, but the friend who sent me an invite to buy it may have done if that was how you got one!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

wouldn't buy one of their TVs, not because the picture isn't great (it really is),

Actually, it isn't, at least not relative to the price. Even Samsung's flagship TVs are flagship in price only. Their current "QLED" (don't even get me started on that name) gets beat by a Vizio M Series that costs half as much.

If you want a TV, buy LG OLED, Vizio E or M series (P if on sale) or Sony x900e and x930e.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Actually, it isn't, at least not relative to the price. Even Samsung's flagship TVs are flagship in price only. Their current "QLED" (don't even get me started on that name) gets beat by a Vizio M Series that costs half as much.

If you want a TV, buy LG OLED, Vizio E or M series (P if on sale) or Sony x900e and x930e.

It doesn't have to be perfect for my uses but yeah, I'm sure it's edged out by others. Hard to argue with their excellent bezel design though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Has the quality gone down? Not really, it was never there. Not where it mattered, anyway, which is in the software. I wouldn't buy one of their TVs, not because the picture isn't great (it really is), but because the software shows you advertising in the UI and when you change the volume. They ended up having to walk back a "feature" where they'd insert ads into your content when you streamed it to the TV. I'm not paying four digits for something to advertise to me in normal use. (For what it's worth, when my 2007 Samsung TV died this year, I replaced it with a Vizio E-series with nothing smart but with Chromecast built in. I love it.)

Samsung's phones, again, aren't built like poo poo. They have flaws, sure, some of them might explode killing you and your loved ones because they didn't make the battery hole large enough, but by and large they feel okay. Everything that's a letdown is in their poorly written extensions to a platform that Google has made. It's apparent when you use a Pixel, a phone that has outdated internals but is consistently responsive and fluid, next to any Samsung you choose. Optimizing for the the platform is a task that Google has always left to the OEMs and once you use daily something that actually feels like a premium device, it's obvious Samsung (and to be fair, every other OEM) just can't do that.

I could talk about how Samsung constantly wants to hedge its bets, trying to make users buy in to the Samsung ecosystem rather than Android by reimplementing (poorly) everything that Google requires all Android OEMs to include, but that's old hat and at least understandable from Samsung's perspective. It sucks for the users, but it's something rational.

Samung, at least in the smartphone arena, reminds me a lot of gaming computer manufacturers like Alienware or Razer. They're flashy, they advertise on features of dubious value, they include every feature they can warranted or not, and they expose a billion useless settings to the user. On the one hand, I'd say it's because they lack aesthetic taste and couldn't make "good" decisions about UI and I think there's some truth to that. But I really think it's more that they view feature count as a good thing and settings toggles as a dick measurement and the people that want a sick gaming laptop respond to those kinds of things--flash over substance, regardless of whether a feature implementation has merit. It demos well in a store and it looks blingy and that matters a ton more to most people than scrolling that lacks jank and a friendly duplicate-app-free app drawer. After all, the carrier is their customer and the user is not.

They rose to prominence on a very lovely product. The original Galaxy S had so many things wrong with it, hardware and software, that it would double the length of this already too-long post to enumerate them. But it succeeded because they insisted on advertising it as one thing instead of a unique device on each carrier and the screen looked great so it demoed well. They know where their bread is buttered and honestly there's no hate here, they pretty much saved Android by doing what they did. Even if they hurt the ecosystem now, they are its main driver so we should be thankful.

And I meant what I said, making a dock that's the dumbest idea of all time because there's an audience who wants that dumb idea is not bad in itself. I wish them success. It's stupid, but it's harmless stupid, and it helps the ecosystem on the whole. It's just kind of neat that that's their wheelhouse. It's a niche that really should be exploited no matter how retarded it is, simply because in capitalism the goal is to extract money from retards. Yes, a Chromebox with the Play Store would do exactly the same thing a million times better and be cheaper, but if someone out there wants to not be able to use the phone and their computer at the same time wants to drop money on something useless, it's cool they can make a buck there. This really is what they excel at doing so I sincerely wish them the best. (I also like Microsoft looking hapless and this does that too so it's even more delicious.)

You keep saying Samsung's customers are the carriers, but carriers and OEM's are Android's customers. The OS was pretty much introduced as "like the iPhone, but ya'll can put all your poo poo on it." Samsung's customer is the user, which is precisely why they continue efforts to build their ecosystem, regardless of what one's opinions of said efforts may be. For them to primarily court carriers would make no sense considering you only find carriers with any real power in America.

Funnily enough, most of the changes Samsung introduced have eventually found their way to Android, and I'd argue that with the exception of the Galaxy S4, which really was loaded up with useless gimmicks for the sake of having them, most of the changes have been improvements over base Android. I have no idea if it's true, but I remember reading somewhere on the Internet that many of the duplicate services came about because Google's Korean services are lackluster. Play Music's integration into the Galaxy S8 does show that Samsung is willing to defer to Google's service when there's benefit.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I have a friend who used to sell Samsung TVs at Best Buy and he complained to me that LG would constantly undercut Samsung's prices but the Samsung models had ~superior specs~. :mmmhmm:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Anytime someone hands me a Samsung to look at something on it and it starts lagging I have this urge to smash it into the ground.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Celexi posted:

Anytime someone hands me a Samsung to look at something on it and it starts lagging I have this urge to smash it into the ground.

That's called "being on the spectrum"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's called "being on the spectrum"

I think he's still on the 2G spectrum.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone having issues with headphone jacks not working on their Pixel? Mine stopped working yesterday, I blew out the hole with some air, still didn't work. Tried different headphones, nothing. I reset the phone and it worked again.

Today, nothing is working at all.

edit - "OK Google" doesn't work, and it wont even let me turn that on. I think its hosed. Apparently there's an issue with bad solder on the microphones. Thanks Google. lovely hardware on my Nexus 5x, and now lovely hardware on my Pixel.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 3, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
In before anecdotes about how other people's Pixels have been working flawlessly. Or you don't know how to use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone having issues with headphone jacks not working on their Pixel? Mine stopped working yesterday, I blew out the hole with some air, still didn't work. Tried different headphones, nothing. I reset the phone and it worked again.

edit - "OK Google" doesn't work, and it wont even let me turn that on. I think its hosed. Apparently there's an issue with bad solder on the microphones. Thanks Google. lovely hardware on my Nexus 5x, and now lovely hardware on my Pixel.

This is a known issue and you can get it replaced: https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/9/14868400/google-pixel-microphone-issues

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

You keep saying Samsung's customers are the carriers, but carriers and OEM's are Android's customers. The OS was pretty much introduced as "like the iPhone, but ya'll can put all your poo poo on it." Samsung's customer is the user, which is precisely why they continue efforts to build their ecosystem, regardless of what one's opinions of said efforts may be. For them to primarily court carriers would make no sense considering you only find carriers with any real power in America.

Fair enough, I am only talking about America. Find me Americans who paid Samsung directly for their device and I'll say they are Samsung's customers. I have a feeling almost everyone bought their Galaxies from their carrier likely in combination with a subsidy or some other discount and did not pay MSRP, unlike iPhone customers.

Desk Lamp posted:

Funnily enough, most of the changes Samsung introduced have eventually found their way to Android, and I'd argue that with the exception of the Galaxy S4, which really was loaded up with useless gimmicks for the sake of having them, most of the changes have been improvements over base Android. I have no idea if it's true, but I remember reading somewhere on the Internet that many of the duplicate services came about because Google's Korean services are lackluster. Play Music's integration into the Galaxy S8 does show that Samsung is willing to defer to Google's service when there's benefit.

Again, no argument from me. You throw enough poo poo at the wall and some of it will stick. Big screen phones? You know, for all the hemming and hawing Apple did about reaching the screen, they aren't so bad. Of course it's true in their software too and yes, things have been moved into Android proper (now that Samsung has become less antagonistic to the ecosystem). I suspect some of that is Google figuring if it's going to be added, let's code it right and support it properly across all apps, but some of it is probably also that Android itself is way more mature and background improvements aren't really enough to make it look like things are moving forward.

I'm not saying that putting everything and the kitchen sink in there is necessarily a bad thing, even if they aren't all good ideas or implemented well. I wouldn't want a device riddled with half-finished, crappy features* (Bixby, lol) but I understand most people will just ignore them rather than wonder why parts of their device don't work. I mean, someone has to plow the ground for good, mature, functional improvements to grow.

* This reminds me of my favorite Samsung rush to production, their first voice assistant that suspiciously came out right after Siri debuted, good ol' S-Voice:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

My Pixel has been working flawlessly. Are you using it correctly?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

I had a sort of similar issue where plugging in headphones meant that the volume would periodically drop to zero and assistant would open up without me wanting it to

Got that poo poo replaced and no problems since

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FogHelmut posted:

Apparently there's an issue with bad solder on the microphones. Thanks Google. lovely hardware on my Nexus 5x, and now lovely hardware on my Pixel.

loving hell, goons. You act like it's unheard of to have a production flaw in a device of which literally millions are made every year. That's why they have a warranty. Use it and stop bitching.

Also,a manufacturing defect is not a design defect, so your invalid anger is misplaced to begin with. Blame HTC if it makes you feel better, but then exercise the warranty.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Also,a manufacturing defect is not a design defect

Planned obsolescence :smug:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

El Mido posted:

Fair enough, I am only talking about America. Find me Americans who paid Samsung directly for their device and I'll say they are Samsung's customers. I have a feeling almost everyone bought their Galaxies from their carrier likely in combination with a subsidy or some other discount and did not pay MSRP, unlike iPhone customers.

The Note 3 was the first and last time I will buy or sign a contract for a Samsung device, when it was then truly head and shoulders better than cheap but awful Android phones in 2013.

Now, I would have to strike a huge lottery first before remotely considering a S8 for a over something like a Mi Max at like 1/5 the price. But I'm sure Samsung still sells well in places like U.S with weird LTE bands and/or China branded phones have far less penetration.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

And to be fair to you in turn, Samsung does indeed let American carriers get away with way too much bullshit. Maybe now that unlocked Galaxy phones are available stateside competitively, things will start to change. I'm not so sure iPhone users are all that different though, I'd bet aside from the people who camp outside their Apple store at release most people walk into their carrier store and pick up the iPhone on their Jump/Next plans or whatever.

LastInLine posted:

Again, no argument from me. You throw enough poo poo at the wall and some of it will stick. Big screen phones? You know, for all the hemming and hawing Apple did about reaching the screen, they aren't so bad. Of course it's true in their software too and yes, things have been moved into Android proper (now that Samsung has become less antagonistic to the ecosystem). I suspect some of that is Google figuring if it's going to be added, let's code it right and support it properly across all apps, but some of it is probably also that Android itself is way more mature and background improvements aren't really enough to make it look like things are moving forward.

I'm not saying that putting everything and the kitchen sink in there is necessarily a bad thing, even if they aren't all good ideas or implemented well. I wouldn't want a device riddled with half-finished, crappy features* (Bixby, lol) but I understand most people will just ignore them rather than wonder why parts of their device don't work. I mean, someone has to plow the ground for good, mature, functional improvements to grow.
That's just the thing though, after the Galaxy S4 era, and aside from stupid poo poo like Bixby, the majority of the added features have been well thought out and implemented enhancements to the base Android experience. Samsung has the best backup and restore solution available in Android, things like SideSync eliminate the need to tinker with third party solutions like Pushbullet or Airdroid. Take the on-screen buttons, on my Note 4 I have the capacitive button backlight turned off, giving my phone a clean look while preserving access to navigation at all times, something I can't do with on-screen buttons. Samsung made the on-screen home button on the S8 pressure sensitive, so a force touch on that area gets you to the home screen and almost eliminates the issue of having to swipe, hopefully for the Note 8 they expand it to all buttons and other Android OEMs follow suit.

I guess my point is that it's not 2012 anymore, and while many of your criticisms are still valid, things have significantly changed.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Yes. Thank you for taking the time. I appreciate you and desklamp's banter.

Most people are retards. So most technology is made for retards. Lowest common denominator. And there's no money in making something that's not 100% retard-proof, because retards with money = 99% of consumers, for electronics or anything.

Due to the average adult reading and writing at an 8th grade level, and their math and science skills not far ahead, you gotta sell a flashy nerf-box if you want to make money. Flashy phones are no different than the flashy bright colors to attract children (and me) on cereal boxes.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is when every tech product has to be made one-size-fits-all lest the company only wants to move units to goons, it's going to be coming up short somewhere. And you have to pick a product that just doesn't come up short on the features, or mere basic functions you want. I guess this is why people root phones and stuff?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I guess my point is that it's not 2012 anymore, and while many of your criticisms are still valid, things have significantly changed.

Oh yeah, that's for sure true. I think some of that has been working more closely with Google and I think the rest is due to maturation of their sensibilities. The always-present soft keys is a perfect example of a true software innovation that you have to give props to. We've had soft keys since the Galaxy Nexus and that's a genuine improvement.

I also agree that at least a third of Samsung's apps are necessary due to Google's largess. A backup/sync/PC-to-phone suite should have been a day-one job that Google simply never gave a poo poo about doing and thus the OEMs were left, for better or worse, on their own. I would note that another excellent example of Google being a poor steward of the platform is the messaging situation.

Ever since the détente that had Google sell off Motorola, gave OEMs earlier access to Android versions, and had Google promise to work closer with OEMs to integrate more externally conceived features into Android, Samsung's been a much better ecosystem partner. I'm not sure I'd say that Samsung and Google want things to move in the same direction, exactly, but I certainly wouldn't say they are pulling in opposite ones anymore.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fartzone_42069 posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say, is when every tech product has to be made one-size-fits-all lest the company only wants to move units to goons, it's going to be coming up short somewhere. And you have to pick a product that just doesn't come up short on the features, or mere basic functions you want. I guess this is why people root phones and stuff?
The correct move is to buy a phone that you don't need to root instead of adding to the balance sheets of companies that make the retard phones.

Which is exactly what this thread spends pages and pages telling hapless goons to do.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They are replacing it. They only asked as much as "are you sure?"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fartzone_42069 posted:

What you do is you reward companies that align with your values with your purchase and use of their products*. Don't buy something broken (whatever your definition) to fix it after the fact, but rather something you consider to be representative of your ideal product.

*Always remembering that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Bit spooked by all the people saying they needed to send their pixels back, wondering if it was wise to get one off ebay since google won't cover that apparently. Still have a day or two to cancel

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Why would you opt to not have a warranty with an expensive device, it seems a bit short sighted to forgo any protection because you want to save some trump pesos.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Its impossible to get the pixel in the netherlands, and the uk/german stores have been out of stock of the 128gb for over 2 months.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Heliosicle posted:

Its impossible to get the pixel in the netherlands, and the uk/german stores have been out of stock of the 128gb for over 2 months.

Carphone Warehouse has them in stock.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Oh nice yeah, well that makes it simple

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Carphone Warehouse has them in stock.
With a shipping date of May 28th we can safely say they do not. And they probably won't, either, based on the previous cancelled orders a couple of friends have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Variable_H posted:

Get this, go into your Xfinity shitbox settings and disable the router features, just use it as your modem, and put the new router on the network and let it handle everything.

Wow. I didn't have to jackshit besides plug it in and set a password. Times have changed! Thank you for your recommendation!

Now here's something wild. We're 50down/10up. I got about 80 when direct connecting (for a control). I poo poo you not, I'm getting 200+ down wirelessly with this router. I'm definitely not complaining but I asked how this was possible in the networking thread I was linked to. (Thanks for that too but the way!)

Anyway, a problem super duper solved beyond my wildest expectations! Phone WiFi on fleek now! Thank y'all so much. :)