Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Chet Faliszek just left Valve, hopefully he can apply his comedy writing somewhere that actually makes games.

mutata posted:

Wow, so that era of Valve is well and truly dead. It ended years ago, but this was the last confirmation that it's permanent that I needed.
Chet hasn't really been primarily a writer for a while, I don't think. He's been flying around the world being the friendly, hairy public face of SteamVR.

Someone asked him on Twitter if there were any writers left at Valve, and he named Jay Pinkerton (Portal 2, TF2 updates, comic stuff) and Steve Jaros (Saints Row 3, 4 and Gat). So the Funny Guy Quota is well and truly filled, but I wonder if they're also handling the more serious stuff. I know Marc Laidlaw was doing the gleefully overwrought Dota lore for a few years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That also reminds me there was some survival game (Rust I think) where you do get a random character, and there were people complaining when they rolled a female character and couldn't change it

This resulted in people getting a lot of random hate from bad people and disliking the game because they were called slurs because their character turned out to be black so it's a real stupid idea

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 15 hours I spent customizing my Oblivion character (and then only spending less than 10 hours before getting bored with actually playing the game) kind of broke me from getting too much into character customization, but I appreciate having a lot of options

CJacobs posted:

This resulted in people getting a lot of random hate from bad people and disliking the game because they were called slurs because their character turned out to be black so it's a real stupid idea

If at least one person learned something from being given a skin color they couldn't change and receiving hate for it, though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If at least one person learned something from being given a skin color they couldn't change and receiving hate for it, though

It's still a stupid idea because all it lead to in practice was a whole bunch of whining and making people with REAL mental barricades genuinely uncomfortable (see the article I'm about to link). I like Garry Newman, he is a smart guy who doesn't give much of a poo poo, but his response to this was "it happens in real life and you don't get to choose there" and it made me wonder if he knows that people play video games to get away from real life.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 3, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VideoGames posted:

Good grief, then that means they missed out on the best shepherd! My renegade badass shepherd was mean to everyone and she sounded like someone the reapers wouldn't want to mess with!

idk i enjoyed playing as mshep, who generally tried to do good but was also really impatient and didn't deal with bullshit very well so if he felt like things weren't going the way he wanted he would just start shooting

unsurprisingly, the council was relentlessly frigid towards me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not every game has to be an escape from every real life issue. No one's making you play RUST.

It's totally valid to not like RUST for that reason, but it doesn't make it "stupid".

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

idk i enjoyed playing as mshep, who generally tried to do good but was also really impatient and didn't deal with bullshit very well so if he felt like things weren't going the way he wanted he would just start shooting

unsurprisingly, the council was relentlessly frigid towards me

My bestie played it that way so when we would discuss our games, we had such different experiences. And had such fun talking about them :D

I have always appreciated the series for that and think it is awesome despite a few misgivings. That we played esssentially the same story but with entirely different protagonists and conclusions means that to me it was utterly successful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I actually know nothing about Rust except that thing so I don't know if it adds to the experience at all.

Oh, and I remember reading another story about a guy that got "enslaved" because a bunch of other players forced him to labor at gunpoint and he didn't want to lose his character so he did what they told him to do

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Not every game has to be an escape from every real life issue. No one's making you play RUST.

It's totally valid to not like RUST for that reason, but it doesn't make it "stupid".

It's very ignorant of him to just say and imply "people are racist/sexist/whathaveyou irl and it's not my fault it carries over to the game" when it definitely is for pushing it on the players in such a hamfisted way. Treating those issues as nothing more than another layer of depth in your video game is very insensitive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just talking about player character gender and race being randomized.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/857131811717222401

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

anime

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

I'm just talking about player character gender and race being randomized.

By itself, yes, it's an interesting idea that hasn't really been done before. I stand by my opinion that a multiplayer game played mostly by mid-teenagers is a terrible place to debut such an idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Rust also has randomized penis sizes.

Edit: ^ I kind of understand your point, but like... You're basically saying that the internet isn't the place for it. And I can't disagree more.

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 3, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I discovered that they taught an AI to play Go and it's pretty good at the game.

On the one hand, neat!

On the other hand, I can't figure out why this is more significant than any other game with AI players? ...Call me uninformed but I can play chess against a computer, so why should this be significant?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, lots of games have different logic, so teaching a computer to play them is different.

Edit: for example, it took until 2007 for Checkers to be "solved."

Edit: to clarify more:

Basically no "games against AI" have what would be considered AI in the context of "they taught an AI to play chess/go".

AI opponents in general are based around programming algorithms for optimal play. These algorithms are based on human understanding of the game. Like, you.habe a strategy, so you program the computer to.follow that strategy.

When they say "we taught an AI to play chess/go", what they mean is that they taught an AI the rules of the game and it used machine learning to develop its own strategies.

It's completely different from what an "AI opponent is in overwatch"

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 3, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I discovered that they taught an AI to play Go and it's pretty good at the game.

On the one hand, neat!

On the other hand, I can't figure out why this is more significant than any other game with AI players? ...Call me uninformed but I can play chess against a computer, so why should this be significant?

"There are more possible positions in Go than there are atoms in the universe. That makes Go a googol times more complex than chess."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you get mad your character isn't white in a video game you should be beaten about the face and neck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If you get mad your character isn't white in a video game you should be beaten about the face and neck.

Edit: god, gently caress imgur for going from straightforward and easy to use to horribly obtuse.

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 3, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sefal posted:

Awesome. Would you mind if I made this my avatar?

Go for it. Love the av.
E: it's not my image btw

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Go for it. Love the av.

Thank you!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: default characters, I've occasionally picked default customization settings because I care too much about aesthetics and I don't want to inadvertently make a character who has a giant schnoz or the one haircut that clips through half the armor in the game because I had no frame of reference when I was making them. This is a real problem in some games, either because the customization engine is lovely and produces lower-quality faces than the hand-done ones for important NPCs and even the loving defaults, or because it's that weird combination of incredibly powerful and extremely limited that makes it easier to create hosed up troll people than healthy looking adult humans (Dark Souls is what I'm thinking of here)

Like I seem to remember the Mass Effect defaults, at least in 2 and 3, cheating and having features you couldn't even recreate with the character customization?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

op please include kemoket on may 6 really sneakily

I got lucky and found a Persona 3 ost today, I'm told it's great but my only experience with Persona music is Persona Q. But if they're anything alike, then yeah it'll be good poo poo

Persona Q is the worst Persona game, please play every other Persona game instead

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think BioWare said that like over half of Mass Effect players didn't even touch the customization options so they went with the default male Shepard.

Unfortunately, way more than half:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona Q is the worst Persona game, please play every other Persona game instead

that's the plan when i hop on an eight-hour plane ride in a few days yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Persona Q is fantastic you weirdos

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Persona Q is fantastic you weirdos

It's a bad Etrian Odyssey with bad caricatures of P3 and P4 characters in it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In mass effect I used the default Shepard but only because I couldn't stand ME1's customization options. All faces besides the default looked like generic NPCs and I didn't like the idea of playing through the whole series like that. If they'd put a default female Shepard or made the customization not awful I'd have gladly used a different face.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/859561739054174208

I wish I didn't know this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's enormously better than Persona 1, at least .

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It has good music, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just got to Comstock's house and fought a ghost, how much of Bioshock Infinite do I have left???

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Andrast posted:

It's a bad Etrian Odyssey with bad caricatures of P3 and P4 characters in it

The only decent part was all the characters having sub-personas so you could min-max to oblivion

Of course you just have Naoto spam her instakill skills for trash encounters

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

I just got to Comstock's house and fought a ghost, how much of Bioshock Infinite do I have left???

I haven't played it since it came out but if I remember correctly I think you're ~80% through

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Someone do the thing where you draw Kirby without shoes and he has human feet but with yoshi.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

Someone do the thing where you draw Kirby without shoes and he has human feet but with yoshi.

NO PLEASE DONT

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love how this changes in certain situations. Not just how Joker's wearing his Joker outfit when this comes up in the Metaverse, but also the lei in Hawaii and the little hearts when it's loading a scene with a girl you're dating.

The game has so many great little UI touches

corn in the bible posted:

It has good music, though.

Yeah, the music owns and I'm glad the game exists just so that its OST exists honestly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wish I didn't know this
it's ok they're not his shoes, they're yoshi's actual feet

natural selection in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I'm pretty sure Yoshis are also born with saddles?

Yoshis are hosed Up.

• Locked thread