Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

in other news this game was first released in 2006 and made this joke:

Which is whatever but he went on and on with the Zero Wing dialog and the joke just kind of worn out its welcome :geno:

The other joke with this guy though is that he's a Dracula reference (he had all the staple moves as his Castlevania counterpart) but he was naked under his cape and when he opened it to shoot fireballs his junk was covered by a mosaic filter. That was pretty funny.

The Colonel posted:

considering this was originally a japanese indie game, that might have been added in by the translation, but i guess it depends on whether that meme ever had any sort of presence over there, and i'm not sure what the original text could be that would result in them doing something like that

Neither one of you said the name of the game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I'm pretty sure Yoshis are also born with saddles?

Yoshis are hosed Up.

Baby yoshis don't have saddles, but they grow one after eating enough enemies*

*Nintendo, Super Mario World.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

I haven't played either of the NOLF games in like 15 years but NOLF1 had some of the most fun multiplayer I've ever played.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Maybe it represents Yoshi crafting a saddle from the skins of slain Koopas?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, Yoshi is gay.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a cartoon world

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yoshi and his boyfriend Birdo are a loving couple who enjoy golf, tennis, soccer, and parties

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mario lore, no more

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
What about toad's mushroom head, is it a hat or part of his body?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I checked Wikipedia to see how Waluigi is related to the brothers, and apparently his reception as a character is "mixed"?? I thought he was beloved? Or is that just among goons?

quote:

"He [Waluigi] is seen as less than legitimate by Nintendo internally. His first appearances were in the sports games made by Camelot, who thrust the half-baked villain on the world. [...] He has yet to appear in a core Mario game, and also never appears in his brother Wario's titles, perhaps because Nintendo thinks he’s not good enough for them. Here's hoping this silly creation will continue to be relegated to the side projects where he belongs.[19]”
— GamesRadar

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GLAAD trash bags posted:

It's part of a toad's anatomy, that's why all toad hats fit over it

E: and no, I don't know how Toadette's pigtails work

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 3, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How could Yoshi possibly be male? It produces eggs...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snak posted:

How could Yoshi possibly be male? It produces eggs...

Yoshi is asexual.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wasn't the story with Yoshis originally that they were "trapped inside the eggs" by Bowser?

Has that been swept out of the lore along with "Bowser turned the people of the Mushroom Kingdom into bricks and pipes"?
Not that that explains baby Yoshis either way.

corn in the bible posted:

Yoshi and his boyfriend Birdo are a loving couple who enjoy golf, tennis, soccer, and parties

Why are you misgendering Birdo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GLAAD trash bags posted:

it's how they reproduce, they're mushrooms

raditts posted:

Wasn't the story with Yoshis originally that they were "trapped inside the eggs" by Bowser?

i think it depends on the yoshi, like there's the ones that were trapped in eggs and they're the fully-grown ones you find everywhere, but then there are baby yoshis like you find in star road which are a different story

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I would say it's part of his head since Toadette's head has little mushroom cap pigtails, and, y'know, they're mushroom people, but I guess it depends on if you accept the Super Mario Bros Super Show as canon.

I don't think you should. It looks... wrong.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

We learn in Yoshi's Island that it is the Yoshis that trap other creatures into eggs. The true question is, who is the rogue Yoshi that was working for Bowser in Super Mario World, and how long will he keep getting away with it?!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Phantasium posted:

Bunny and the 7 Devils if i recall correctly. It's on steam

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:yikes:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I'm pretty sure Yoshis are also born with saddles?

Yoshis are hosed Up.

I always thought it was a shell, but considering they hatch wearing boots I don't know what to believe anymore!

Phantasium posted:

Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils. A very anime Metroidvania.

There's also a free version floating around if you can find it. The Steam version has updated graphics and music and I think the key progression is a little different than I remember. I'm certainly getting a lot farther in it than I did when I tried playing the free version before like seven years ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nonsense, we all know that Toads are sapient dildos. This is canon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If I recall correctly, Birdo wa originally a crossdressing male, but not trans.

I think within the last decade they just established (or rectconned) Birdo as female.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

If I recall correctly, Birdo wa originally a crossdressing male, but not trans.

Granted, nobody ever told Birdo that spitting eggs from one's mouth is not what female birds (bird-ish things? what the gently caress is a Birdo anyway?) do, but still.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 3, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I always thought it was a shell, but considering they hatch wearing boots I don't know what to believe anymore!

I always thought it was a saddle, but you know what? You're right, it is a shell. This is an official Nintendo image of Yoshi

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first Nintendo transgender character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The first Nintendo transgender character.

Probably the first transgender videogame character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So why did "birdetta" never take off

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

haveblue posted:

So why did "birdetta" never take off

Should have been an alternate skin in the Wii U Bayonetta tbh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible posted:

Baby yoshis don't have saddles, but they grow one after eating enough enemies*

*Nintendo, Super Mario World.

It made me really sad in New Super Mario Bros Wii U that the fat baby yoshis didn't grow up no matter how many things you fed them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Granted, nobody ever told Birdo that spitting eggs from one's mouth is not what female birds (bird-ish things? what the gently caress is a Birdo anyway?) do, but still.

I stand corrected.

I had some memory of even older art where birdo looked like an actual bird, but google seems to indicated that this is false.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

Not that Birdo is a bird or anything but Kazooie can shoot eggs from her mouth and therefore it's a thing birds can do.

Snak posted:

I stand corrected.

I had some memory of even older art where birdo looked like an actual bird, but google seems to indicated that this is false.

You're thinking of this character: https://www.mariowiki.com/Ostro

quote:

In the cast roll of Super Mario Bros. 2, Ostro's and Birdo's names were switched, causing some confusion; this mistake was fixed in Super Mario Advance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Possibly, but the specific artwork I'm thinking of still seems to not exist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GLAAD trash bags posted:

quote:

All Toads have special mushroom caps on the top of their heads, just like actual mushrooms. Whether the mushroom cap is a hat or part of Toad physiology is never explicitly revealed in the games and is usually left somewhat ambiguous. The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 shows that the cap is simply a type of hat (or at least that it can be safely removed). When Toad took off his mushroom cap in that cartoon, he revealed his round head with a few strands of hair. Paper Mario depicts the Toad conductor's hat briefly coming off revealing a bald head without a mushroom cap. In Mario Strikers Charged, a Toad's skeleton is briefly seen when they are shocked, and the cap does not appear to be a part of it. On the other hand, Shinya Hiratake, the director of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, made a reference to Toad caps by mentioning "Captain Toad's mushroom head".[6] Various Toads are also shown to have hair hanging down from underneath their caps, such as Toadofsky and Jolene.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Regular humans that appropriate mushroom culture. Shameful.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

it's Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the Seven Devils

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona Q is the worst Persona game, please play every other Persona game instead

Andrast posted:

It's a bad Etrian Odyssey with bad caricatures of P3 and P4 characters in it

What's bad about PQ? I've heard the complaints about the caricature stuff though I guess with the game's story, that is kinda justified, but just because it is justified doesn't make it good. What about it makes it a bad etrian odyssey game though?

e: sorry I hosed up the spoiler tags :( I hope I didn't spoil the game for anyone

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 3, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Too much FOE dodging puzzles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The balance isn't great, too, especially with random battles. If you're playing "efficiently," you're gonna give Naoto a secondary Persona that boosts her ailment skills and just let her sweep every random battle with Mahamaon or Mamuduoon and basically never have to pay attention to a random fight again. Yeah, you can just not do that if you find it boring, but then the battles are more tedious than the random battles in Etrian games, so it's kind of a lose/lose.

I like a lot of its ideas (and its soundtrack) but it just wasn't executed all that well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks to everyone telling me about the bunny game. I want to beat up pervert dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a shell not a saddle

• Locked thread