Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do we get any free nights after the December exams? Hifumi is two ranks from maxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do we get any free nights after the December exams? Hifumi is two ranks from maxing.

I think you get 1.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think you get 1.

I think that should work out. I can get her to rank 9 before they commence.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ryuji loving rules. He hates every villain so drat much, is super hyped and excited whenever a new team member joins and gets a bunch of cool moments early and late in the game. And while he's a poo poo in the mid-game that's something the game acknowledges and he apologises for it in a good scene which leads to cool development that brings up themes that are super relevant in end game plot.

I like that he's the one who gets the "we loving got 'em" reaction to the Dead Joker gambit. During that whole scene, when they showed everyone's reactions, I was increasingly incredulous, thinking there's no way they did all of this without a plan, and then Ryuji gives that cocksure smile and the pieces started falling into place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

I like that he's the one who gets the "we loving got 'em" reaction to the Dead Joker gambit. During that whole scene, when they showed everyone's reactions, I was increasingly incredulous, thinking there's no way they did all of this without a plan, and then Ryuji gives that cocksure smile and the pieces started falling into place.

That's the best moment in the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's the best moment in the game.

I think it's second only to Joker's own "we loving got 'em" smile in the interrogation room.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The evade weakness skills felt like a waste of space most of the time for me. I'd rather just swap someone out if weaknesses are actually that big of a problem. They are especially a waste on Haru and Makoto since barely anything seems to use Nuke or Psy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

slev posted:

The evade weakness skills felt like a waste of space most of the time for me. I'd rather just swap someone out if weaknesses are actually that big of a problem. They are especially a waste on Haru and Makoto since barely anything seems to use Nuke or Psy.

Several bosses use all elements (at the very least I think the boss of Palace 7 does).

And really, it's the difference between the boss getting a One More and the character completely avoiding having to be healed. And for several characters you don't have anything better to go in that slot; only Haru has bloat that's really bad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There are things that are varied and use everything yeah, while Palace 7's boss is the biggest example he's also the worst example. He runs on a pattern that you can figure out before you're halfway through it, since it's the exact same order as the elements are listed on the Analysis screen, so you can just swap people around with no issue at all there. :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

And really, it's the difference between the boss getting a One More and the character completely avoiding having to be healed. And for several characters you don't have anything better to go in that slot; only Haru has bloat that's really bad.

Yeah, all Makoto's alternatives for that 8th slot aren't as useful anyway. Her Physical abilities don't keep up and Defense Master is a waste once you have Marakukaja because she's going to be putting that buff on everybody on the first turn of every single boss fight anyway.

And when you get into situational utility like Dekaja and reflects, that's like, what Joker's for. Unless you're very purposeful with your fusions (and/or staring at fusion charts) your party member's Personas with their stacking damage passives and (in the case of like Ryuji and Ann) more focused stats are going to be better at doing damage than Joker. Let him do all the supportive odds and ends during boss fights.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 3, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

There are things that are varied and use everything yeah, while Palace 7's boss is the biggest example he's also the worst example. He runs on a pattern that you can figure out before you're halfway through it, since it's the exact same order as the elements are listed on the Analysis screen, so you can just swap people around with no issue at all there. :v:

I actually didn't realize this

brute force all day every day

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yinlock posted:

I actually didn't realize this

brute force all day every day

I didn't pay nearly enough attention to notice that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, after dying a couple times to instant death at the beginning of the fight raging Joker into a reflect phys, I never saw it coming I just bashed the boss's face in

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I used Makoto to kill trash mobs with her regular attack with crit + gloves. She crit probably 70% of the time

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
It'd sure be nice if there were any indication at all whether a gun is customizable before you buy it and try to do so.

Dammit, Iwai. You keep texting me that you need help, but then you put me to work dusting instead of labeling your inventory.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Gun customization felt like a weird mechanic, they should've just had his inventory expand like Takemi's

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Having like three free weeks in december even after having maxed all confidants is really nice since now I actually have time to visit all the locations with every party member

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I decided I wanted to try and make an ultimate Arsene because I really like it's design, so I'm chucking tons of Personas at it to try and cap his magic, endurance and agility. What's a good skillset to try for? I'm thinking about :
  • Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Spell Master
  • Cosmic Flare
  • Maeigaon
  • Concentrate

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 3, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I decided I wanted to try and make an ultimate Arsene because I really like it's design, so I'm chucking tons of Personas at it to try and cap his magic, endurance and agility. What's a good skillset to try for? I'm thinking about :
  • Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Spell Master
  • Cosmic Flare
  • Maeigaon
  • Concentrate

i'd drop auto-maraku for salvation because any fight that you need a defense buff for is going to last longer than 3 turns anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/1257644241

im gonna hack the game to replace morgana's dialogue with this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

[x]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MAJOR TURBO SPOILERS DO NOT READ

when the real Igor appears and he has the goofy loving voice I literally yelled out loud at how loving gotten I had been, I started the game off thinking what an awful decision it was to change his voice but it was all a plot point, what the actual gently caress. As upset as I was about the game trying too hard to rehash plot highlights from P4 I never would have seen this coming for a million years

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Been using the JP voices, and lmao at the Special Takoyaki scene. get rekt nerd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

when the real Igor appears and he has the goofy loving voice I literally yelled out loud at how loving gotten I had been, I started the game off thinking what an awful decision it was to change his voice but it was all a plot point, what the actual gently caress. As upset as I was about the game trying too hard to rehash plot highlights from P4 I never would have seen this coming for a million years

Every time someone in this thread says some variation on "I never saw it coming" I can just hear those orchestral strings

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

this was the first thing i was spoiled on :suicide:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time someone in this thread says some variation on "I never saw it coming" I can just hear those orchestral strings

personally I Wish I Never Saw It Coming

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ChaosArgate posted:

• Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Spell Master
  • Cosmic Flare
  • Maeigaon
  • Concentrate

Looks good, debilitate + instant heat riser is p epic. Any reason for cosmic flare of all things?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm also usually not a fan of the loud brash dude in games like this, but count me in as well for the "Ryuji kicks rear end" wagon. For me at least I guess it's that he never did the "Hmph, we'll see about you" thing a lot do, he's just a cool partner in crime that goes "We're both outcasts, wanna be bros?" and carries on well enough that way. That and I can appreciate a dude that gets hotheaded about the right things. Pretty much every time he flew off the handle at Kamoshida I was like you're a cool guy by me blondie.

Also in a random thought, I kind of wish among the DLC they have, that they'd have done something like a bundle of all the throwback battle themes/jingles from the outfit packs, but with a menu way or something to pick or just randomize what you get. Mostly the reason for this is that boy do I really like some of those old themes, but not so much the outfits in most cases, I feel weird not having masks on. :saddowns:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 3, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This scene was definitely rad as hell. I kept thinking "okay Igor is obviously testing me and/or trying to get the twins to remember their mysterious past, he doesn't actually want to kill me" and then suddenly YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

So good. :allears:

fake edit: Also I dated the doctor in NG+. If you haven't dated the doctor, you really should date the doctor because hooooo boy

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 3, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goth doctor best tho.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Looks good, debilitate + instant heat riser is p epic. Any reason for cosmic flare of all things?

It was the first filler skill that came to mind. I dunno if I wanna go with that or Megidolaon now that I think of it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Are Black Viper and Morning Star non-transferable?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think so. I didn't have the option when fusing the big NG+ Persona, at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

• Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Spell Master
  • Cosmic Flare
  • Maeigaon
  • Concentrate

I'd say you either want to have one element with a boost/amp or knock Cosmic Flare down to Mafreidyne and ditch Concentrate so that it's there for hitting weaknesses. Making "ultimate" Personas really rewards specialization, I think, just because Joker's versatility comes from being able to switch Personas, so I'd rather give a Persona a single role and have it do that role amazingly. To stick to the theme you're going with (which is very close to what I want to do with my NG+ mega-Arsene), I think I'd do something like:
  • Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Null/Repel/Drain Bless
  • Null/Repel/Drain Phys
  • Two other null/repel/drain skills
Yeah, he's basically just there for Debilitate + start of battle full-party Heat Riser, but that's fine. He'll be durable, can swap in for a Debilitate during boss fights, but then leave the offensive work to someone else. If you want an offensive Arsene with high Magic, I think I'd instead leave the Debilitate/buffing to another Persona and do something like:
  • Triple Down
  • One-shot Kill
  • Charge
  • Snipe
  • Cripple
  • Arms Master
  • Null/Repel/Drain Bless
  • Null/Repel/Drain something else
I went for gun because gun Arsene is cool, and unfortunately there's no (transferable) severe damage Curse spell. Alternatively, you could go for Cosmic Flare, Nuke Boost/Amp, Concentrate, and use the extra skill slot for Spell Master or Magic Ability.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm really liking the track that plays on exam days from the OST. It's probably my favourite non-palace/non-battle music.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The normal school music track, Is It Boring, is one of the best daily life tracks IMO. Along with Layer Cake, Butterfly Kisses, all variations of Beneath The Mask, My Homie...

Aside from Mementos, it's really hard to pick out genuinely bad tracks really.

(Post-Palace 7)And even then, Mementos saves itself after like 70 floors of awful with Freedom and Security for the Depths.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm really liking the track that plays on exam days from the OST. It's probably my favourite non-palace/non-battle music.

I seem to remember exam music in Persona games always being pretty good but that one's the best for sure. It's just so fantastically groovy.

Dragonatrix posted:

Aside from Mementos, it's really hard to pick out genuinely bad tracks really.

On the one hand, it would've been cool if the Mementos music built on itself with each section like the Tartarus music does in Persona 3. On the other hand, it'd probably mean we wouldn't get "Freedom and Security," because it doesn't fit with the previous Mementos theme, so maybe it was worth it.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Instant Grat posted:

Black Viper can be transferred but Morning Star can't.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Persona 6 spoilers: "My name is Jiro Amachi, I'm a happy-go-lucky cop/kid detective, nothing funny going on here!"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ross Perowned posted:

Persona 6 spoilers: "My name is Jiro Amachi, I'm a happy-go-lucky cop/kid detective, nothing funny going on here!"

And then hes actually a Pure Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ross Perowned posted:

he also makes puns all the times