Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lechtansi posted:

so let me get this straight - they completely overhauled the game and split that update into 2 updates. they released the first one, but postponed the second. is the game even playable right now? i mean, under normal gaz standards of course.
The game is entirely playable, it's just that if you were post-content when the overhaul was announced you're looking at a full year of an almost complete freeze on meaningful updates outside of the three obviously hurriedly slapped together characters squirted out at the beginning of the year to fulfill commitments/free up developers for the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

so let me get this straight - they completely overhauled the game and split that update into 2 updates. they released the first one, but postponed the second. is the game even playable right now? i mean, under normal gaz standards of course.

The best part of the BUE is those 52 Reviews they spent, what was it, a year+ on? All negated. Your last power unlocks at 30, your Talents unlock when the last 5 powers would have, and your ult is locked at 60 again.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

well, to be fair, they didn't change the actual skills that much so the work from the 52 reworks was still there, just removed skill points, changed levels, and added talents

so much of the game improves when you just move some numbers around

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Or in the case of BUE, just get rid of them entirely.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

The game's actually pretty great right now imo. I'm having more fun than ever running terminals, farting around patrols, and especially grinding cosmic danger room. Every hero is playable everywhere, no one's ridiculously broken in a bad way (a few are in a good way though). I'm not a huge fan of running story mode to level up with all the tedious flying/riding/running straight to the boss but at least it's insanely fast to hit 60 and red 60 - I can do red 60 in about 90 minutes with a 5 stack of xp boosts. CDR is way easier and more rewarding than it used to be. I never put on a Shield or do any other defensive gearing or specing for it anymore. It gives more xp than anything else I've found, an Infinity Point every third scenario at 1350 IP and with a 5 stack of xp boosts; it's taking me about 7 1/2 minutes on average to do 3 scenarios. A little less than 2 hours boost time nets me enough merits for a full stack of Atlantis relics (I still need about 10 more stacks to have one on each of my rank 20 ults). I keep hopping around to different heroes because they're all pretty fun to play, the bue did some amazing things for a lot of boring heroes. For the guy that quit when Squirrel Girl was "nerfed", it was nothing big. She's in a fantastic spot atm since her changes buffed Hulkbuster Squirrels through the roof and is one my favorites. I'm also still enjoying chasing cosmic artifacts to reach my goal of having all my rank 20 ults fully geared all the time. The only thing I really want is fun, rewarding group content as I don't want to play this "mmo" solo all the time. The current raids just suck. Need to finally get around to a campaign to get x-defense made rewarding again. I used to love playing that, especially with other goons when were trying to get as far as possible and actually communicating and planning between waves.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 3, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I really wish they'd fiddle with some numbers to reinvigorate Holo-Sim and X-Def because they're good co-op content with a structure to reward doing well at them, but currently your reward for spending thirty minutes in X-Def is equivalent to doing a single boss in Cosmic Midtown.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

agreed. holo-sim in particular i REALLY enjoy, and there was a brief time when the xp in it was super good relative to the rest of the game. if they just made their existing modes worthwhile, it'd be great.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

wave survival games seem to be very popular still so yeah seems foolish to let holo-sim and x-def languish for so long

add all of your cool new bosses as special waves with unique mechanics

have weekly events change up waves in meaningful ways

tie a bunch of new items into the modes that you can only get there

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love me some wave survival and I remember back when X-Def was the #1 game in town

the glory days

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Not only that but X-Def was pretty much the only real group content, outside of raids. Everything else is basically a solo experience.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny ever time I log in I find out I get things refunded due to a complete overhaul of the game system. How many times has that happened?

That said I'm having a lot of fun now since I plow through the story easily.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Geared out Thor with 1k Infinity Points is OP as gently caress right now. He's a little on the glass cannon side, but hot drat does he cut through stuff like butter.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I remember when x-def had a scorecard and people moaned about being shamed for being poo poo.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

I remember when x-def had a scorecard and people moaned about being shamed for being poo poo.

Haha yes!!

Everybody needs that trophy though.

I know when I finished last place in a 4,000 person marathon, I demanded a big trophy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The best part was definitely that pointing out that the meters were inaccurate was drowned out by the tidal wave of whining about being shamed for being an active detriment to other people's play, so instead of even trying to fix it they hugboxed the whole idea away

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Isn't that when there was some crazy Dr Strange exploit/oversight/whatever Gaz wants to call it where he was doing an absurd amount of damage?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Several characters had crazy bugs like that when they were first released. That was back when we looked forward to the bugs new patches would bring.
and the "we're sorry we hosed up" bonuses they would turn on in response

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's called "being Sorcerer Supreme" :colbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Remember back when they added midtown and at the same time bugged out Hulk so he could stack up infinite damage and eventually oneshot boss waves? Good stuff

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

Isn't that when there was some crazy Dr Strange exploit/oversight/whatever Gaz wants to call it where he was doing an absurd amount of damage?

Wave 104 x-def club

There was a feature where the doop wave timer was <0 after wave 60 so if you didn't kill all the doops to advance, you would get stuck. We learned that wave 96.

Best part was the loot at wave 104 was about the same as wave 20.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kainser posted:

Remember back when they added midtown and at the same time bugged out Hulk so he could stack up infinite damage and eventually oneshot boss waves? Good stuff
Even the bugs in this game aren't what they used to be.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
That team-up damage bug that made them one-shot bosses among other things was in the game for at least a year

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jusupov posted:

If you're on windows 10 creators update and still log in you might have noticed that the game doesn't close anymore. It also puts large dumps in your game dir

Delete the whole game to get rid of the issue or go to \steamapps\common\Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\Win64 and flush the dumps

Do you know if this is happening with just standard WIn 10? I haven't been able to quit properly since I reinstalled the game.

Wait is Creators that large update that Microsoft put out a few weeks ago?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Wait is Creators that large update that Microsoft put out a few weeks ago?

Yeah, or if you were an insider you could have had it for months.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
we get it jusu, youre really cool

Giedroyc posted:

xdef scorecard was the best

running xdef and finding out that despite all the endless poo poo he talked, deathplaque was a trash-tier retard who couldn't outdps ICR or FrankTheBank was the high point of my marvel heroes experience

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

wasn't it picking up credits that contributed to your damage score? dp's selfless nature was just sabotaging him against frank's shameless greed, that's all

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

running xdef and finding out that despite all the endless poo poo he talked, deathplaque was a trash-tier retard who couldn't outdps ICR or FrankTheBank was the high point of my marvel heroes experience

ur fukin ded

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Irony.or.Death posted:

wasn't it picking up credits that contributed to your damage score? dp's selfless nature was just sabotaging him against frank's shameless greed, that's all

probably, this does sound very gaz

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ur fuckin ur dad

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Oh man, I remember getting to wave 100+ with strange. How did that bug work? He had some sort of minion and every time you re summoned it, its damage would go up?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
This game sure likes to cook the pc even at low settings..

What's a good char to gently caress around with and poo poo? Juggernaut and Hulk seem kinda boring-ish. I also got Hawkeye, Black Widow, Squirrel Girl, Luke cage, Deadpool, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, and Thor.

Out of them, Hawkeye is under 30 I think, SG is 55, Black Widow is 50.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

we get it jusu, youre really cool

xdef scorecard was the best

It was amazing how talented I was. Greatest player to ever walk the earth.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Squirrel Girl has quickly become one of my favorite heroes. I've been playing her melee with just her signature and Squirrelpocalypse as ranged/summon but I also played as pure summon and that was a lot of fun too.

Now not to sound too positive but after not playing for like 2.5 years and coming back I'm loving all the new stuff and would love an invite to the Super Group. In game name is same as here. Thanks.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 3, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Favorite bugchat: Definitely the bug where Black Widow's placed explosives would deal damage to Everything in an instance if they dealt damage to destructible objects. So you could walk into a terminal and load up a crate and just blow up Everyone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Increase graphic settings to improve performance. Max out all your settings then turn off things like shadows, bloom, distortion, allied particle effects. Enjoy better performance.

This isn't so much :gaz: as it is the fault of unreal engine 3.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Increase graphic settings to improve performance. Max out all your settings then turn off things like shadows, bloom, distortion, allied particle effects. Enjoy better performance.

I think I can only set shadows to "Low setting" but yeah I'l comb through the settings another time.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Dizz posted:

What's a good char to gently caress around with and poo poo? Juggernaut and Hulk seem kinda boring-ish. I also got Hawkeye, Black Widow, Squirrel Girl, Luke cage, Deadpool, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, and Thor.

Out of them, Hawkeye is under 30 I think, SG is 55, Black Widow is 50.

Running on low shifts alot of the graphical burden to the CPU. If you have even a half decent graphics card, run the game on high settings to make the GPU do it's job. Game will both perform and look better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah, this. Distortion off and low shadows gives a smooth run on my lovely dinosaur PC.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My favorite bug (feature???) was when the RIF/SIF/Experience boosts stacked with a group or something, I forget how it worked (or was intended to). All I know is I still have like 11 days of Experience boost and like a month of RIF/SIF. Which brings me to my second favorite bug which is that iirc RIF and SIF don't actually do anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ That's one reason why they were removed. They (supposedly) have always worked, but +50% of a 0.1% chance is still just 0.15%.
Those weren't bugs so much as a great idea (let people buff their friends! We'll sell more buffs!) that wasn't thought out in the slightest (oh god people have more than two friends and them being in one place is killing the servers)

My favourite bug is still Punisher's "dynamic loadout" where he changed what guns he was carrying based on your assigned skillpoints such that if you interrupted his animation for picking up environmental objects it replaced the mines on your belt and in his mine throwing animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am at war with people on the mho forums trying to turn it into the glorified progressive clicker game that mhpc became. game actually has a good difficulty curve and they wanna whine and complain about it and ask for teamups.

i will be a crusader against teamups