Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wow gee thanks Witcher for shoving this weird violent life-threatening beating of a likeable young lady in this fun sidequest about helping my friend renovate his bar. I was almost enjoying myself and feeling a sense of whimsy, phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bioshock infinite was bad, and contributes to a long line of bad videogame narratives that try to make players feel bad for things the player character was railroaded into doing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked some gameplay elements of Bioshock Infinite and the setpieces. For example Elisabeth was a good companion and the levels with rails let you do some cool stuff. The story was really bad though and in a game where the story is the main focus and you have long cutscenes and "meaningful choices" that's pretty much a fatal flaw.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shindragon posted:

Oh wow, did they finally stop the orange tip for guns for him? I kinda hated that because how ugly it looked.
Nope, just had him shipped straight from Japan. Anime-Export does preorders for Transformers at 30% off, which can save you a ton on Masterpieces like him, even if shipping eats up a lot of the savings.

Red Bones posted:

Bioshock infinite was bad, and contributes to a long line of bad videogame narratives that try to make players feel bad for things the player character was railroaded into doing.
It had a lot of style, though, which is the tragic part. Columbia was a really, really amazingly designed game world. The story was just awful.

I really enjoyed the infinite fractal lighthouse scene though, that was really well done.

edit: some fucker apparently drove an SUV straight into a packed car auction house the next town over so I've been hearing nothing but helicopters hovering overhead for the last like three hours

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 3, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah did the like three whole choices you had to make in the game actually matter at all? Also lol at the first being, 'throw baseball at black guy or not'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah did the like three whole choices you had to make in the game actually matter at all? Also lol at the first being, 'throw baseball at black guy or not'.

Not one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ostensibly the lutece twins put their chalk mark on a different side of the blackboard

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I had the whole game spoiled to me before I played so I chose the cage coin because it's fitting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked that flashpoint much better in Horizon Zero Dawn where you get to throw a rock at a white guy instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The baseball thing comes up again in the form of minor changes to a trivial npc interaction later. If you didn't throw the ball at them, they thank you. If you did throw the ball at them, a racist thanks you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
posting g1 transformers is ok because there is a g1 transformers video game that is pretty decent

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Wow gee thanks Witcher for shoving this weird violent life-threatening beating of a likeable young lady in this fun sidequest about helping my friend renovate his bar. I was almost enjoying myself and feeling a sense of whimsy, phew.

Yeah, that was such a big swerve for me that I was like, what the gently caress (and it gets grislier), especially considering that the main quest that opens that up is also filled with goofy stuff

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know at least 2 people who think Bioshock Infinite is the best game of all time

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

haveblue posted:

The baseball thing comes up again in the form of minor changes to a trivial npc interaction later. If you didn't throw the ball at them, they thank you. If you did throw the ball at them, a racist thanks you.

video games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I know at least 2 people who think Bioshock Infinite is the best game of all time

I know one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

posting g1 transformers is ok because there is a g1 transformers video game that is pretty decent

yeah but it's not perfect, exhibit A:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe you guys know the same person, so the count is still at 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BioShock Infinite has some of the worst shooting mechanics in a AAA game that I can't even begin to diss the story because gently caress playing that poo poo. Half the guns are useless and mesh terribly with the upgrade mechanic. The melee kill cutscenes completely kill the flow of combat. That ghost fight is completely monotonous garbage. I have heard people complain about games having bullet sponges but 100% of Infinite's enemies are that. You run up and shoot a normal unarmored cop in the head with a shotgun and they flinch a little and lose a third of their life bar -- on normal. Also shooting a robot in that game is one of the worst-feeling effects in a shooter, like they somehow added a bunch of polish to a completely disconnected Full Sail project with no understanding of game feel

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Invictus posted:

You are right, that fight would've been better him transforming into a huge rear end gun.

I mean the game already had bayonetta's bullet time mechanic :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the best mechanics they could add for a sidekick with the ability to open portals to other dimensions... Is that she can root through trash to give you items and maybe make platforms appear. Ugh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, that was such a big swerve for me that I was like, what the gently caress (and it gets grislier), especially considering that the main quest that opens that up is also filled with goofy stuff

Like I get that "the world is hosed up and unfair and bad things happen constantly" is sort of Witcher's thing but this is just like, bad shock value writing to me. It's like if the Malo Mart questline in Twilight Princess ended with Malo being brutally murdered by a bokoblin.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also sometimes she chucks coins at your head

but they really should've been playing cards, and they should've always been aces, and also bioshock infinite is zybourne clock and you are johnny fiveaces

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jay Rust posted:

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?

Sounds like you need to play... Night in the Woods!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Like I get that "the world is hosed up and unfair and bad things happen constantly" is sort of Witcher's thing but this is just like, bad shock value writing to me. It's like if the Malo Mart questline in Twilight Princess ended with Malo being brutally murdered by a bokoblin.

you say that like that wouldn't have vastly improved twilight princess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

also sometimes she chucks coins at your head

but they really should've been playing cards, and they should've always been aces, and also bioshock infinite is zybourne clock and you are johnny fiveaces

Imagine four lighthouses

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Jay Rust posted:

Hollow Knight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Nuclear throne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's really like they went Law and Order SVU in that quest, it really is out of step with the rest of the game even if there are some interesting developments in there. I don't think I had such a negative reaction to any other quests, though, so perhaps it's all uphill from there?

I think later on as you actively work to change things and meet up with your friends the game gets less dour, I remember feeling more uplifted by the end than anything else

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

Terraria. The hours will just melt away.

Or if you want a pretty big challenge, FTL

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish I still had that Zybourneshock image I made for the Bioshock Infinite thread way back when the game's terrible ending first leaked.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm these 2 consecutive transformation frames:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

Bioshock Infinite's story is bad and I'm glad that's an opinion I can express now without everyone talking about how brilliant it is and I must have just not understood it.

(I probably have a harsher opinion of it than is reasonable because I really liked its setting and aesthetics but the total lack of exploration and the up-its-own-rear end story just killed the whole thing for me.)

Infinite's story I felt was somewhat defensible when it first came out, but then they did Burial At Sea which confirmed everyone's criticisms on top of being way worse than the base game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A pretty good game about sequels is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

A pretty good game about sequels is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

:yeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's really remarkable how many game plots since 2010 have literally ended in "No John... you ARE the demons." The Repercussions of Evil guy was way ahead of his time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think it's the best game of all time but I think it tends to get over-hated thanks to the absurd critical praise it got on release.

It's a fun ride with a great world design, a story that's interesting if a little too abstract for its own good, and I'm totally willing to overlook the stupid parts just because it's well put together. Not really sure where the complaints about the shooting come from, it's a little chunkier controlling than a lot of other FPSes but it works for how it's balanced, never had any problems getting through it due to controls or whatever. I also thought even with it being kind of contrived, the ending was a good way to tie it all together, and it was appropriately depressing.

Now, the two-part Rapture story DLC? Oh my god how it sucks. In terms of levels and gameplay it's just sort of OK, but the plot goes into full on stupidland, far worse than the main story, ruins the ending, and the rest of it's nowhere near good enough to make up for it. I liked the DLC arena mode though, admittedly. :shobon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the tank is cooler than the gun in my opinion. but when i was a child megatron was a trex and also shakespearean

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

In Training posted:

Nuclear throne

Or spelunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to a future where rightfully no one ever talks about the bioshock series again

• Locked thread