Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dongattack posted:

They just revealed on stream that the micro transactions in game will be currency. Like you see in the latest vid there are silver mirriam, you can pay irl money to buy gold mirriam to use for upgrading, working on your gear, upgrading your fortresses and siege armament.

They specified that you don't HAVE to pay to get anything in the game, but you can be damned sure that the game will be tuned to try and make you spend money to buy mirriam, cause why else have microtransactions.

I do not like this very much, but I am greatful you don't have to. Still somewhat sad about it. DLC and the associated bits I am fine with, but microtransactions always seem a sign of a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe it'll be like some of the microtransactions in Sports games, where it's not necessary to actually play, just if you want to take a shortcut or whatever. Would any of us really care if we had to go kill a few more orcs rather than just be able to dash from boss to boss skipping all the chaff? Seems like you'd be skipping the fun part of the game.

Or if it were that I could just buy optimal armor. Where's the fun in that? Not like I'm competing against other players, I don't need to be minmaxed, I'll farm the gear.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Josef bugman posted:

I do not like this very much, but I am greatful you don't have to. Still somewhat sad about it. DLC and the associated bits I am fine with, but microtransactions always seem a sign of a bad game.

Not necessarily these days imo. It isn't game developers in various forms and shapes that decide to tack on microtransactions, it's the people more concerned with the bottomline rather than making a good game (im guessing). Back in the day when microtransactions were the hot new thing you would have games designed around it. These days you usually have certain game mechanics designed with them in mind.

A good example is MGS5, the Motherbase mechanic suffered somewhat and was varying degrees of tedious because of microtransactions, but you had a whole (lol) game that was good and bad regardless of microtransactions outside of that mechanic. I don't think SoW will be designed around milking you at every step, but obv we have no way of knowing how harsh the economy of the game has been tuned to make you buy mirriam.

What it does reek of is greed and lack of consumer respect. Every time i see that gold mirriam icon i will be reminded of that the game wants me to pay to lift a arbitrary barrier put in my way solely to milk me for pennies and it will for sure leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Josef bugman posted:

I do not like this very much, but I am grateful you don't have to

Most AAA devs now have a "monetization guy" on staff. The whole point of that position is to crunch the data and make this "optional" part of the game as non-optional as possible for as much of the playerbase as possible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's a funny one. I've got nothing against convenience or cosmetic based micro transactions (the rather infamous Assassin's Creed ones where you spend money to unlock all the collectibles...), but stuff that's advancing your single player progression feels weird as hell. Either progression is quick enough as to make the transactions pointless anyway (as is the case with Ghost Recon's "boosters"), or the game is such a grind that simply playing the thing isn't enough to unlock your fun murder toys.

Orc dress-up please.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I fundamentally do not understand microtransactions of this sort in a single player game. Its the same as 'cheat' DLC where you pay real money for in game money/consumables.

like... why. the whole reason that works in multiplayer poo poo is because there's a rat race thing going on where you either invest an absurd amount of time or money on the stupid treadmill to unlock stuff and they mete out content constantly.

In a single player game, especially one on the PC, you can just grind that poo poo and there isn't an infinite treadmill so what is even the point. Or you can directly change it with cheatengine without paying goddamn money.

Its basically a stupidity+impatience tax on computer illiterate people.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, i forgot about cheat engine lol. The microtransaction system will be broken over the knee within a week.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dongattack posted:

Not necessarily these days imo. It isn't game developers in various forms and shapes that decide to tack on microtransactions, it's the people more concerned with the bottomline rather than making a good game (im guessing). Back in the day when microtransactions were the hot new thing you would have games designed around it. These days you usually have certain game mechanics designed with them in mind.

A good example is MGS5, the Motherbase mechanic suffered somewhat and was varying degrees of tedious because of microtransactions, but you had a whole (lol) game that was good and bad regardless of microtransactions outside of that mechanic. I don't think SoW will be designed around milking you at every step, but obv we have no way of knowing how harsh the economy of the game has been tuned to make you buy mirriam.

What it does reek of is greed and lack of consumer respect. Every time i see that gold mirriam icon i will be reminded of that the game wants me to pay to lift a arbitrary barrier put in my way solely to milk me for pennies and it will for sure leave a bad taste in my mouth.

MGS5 is one of the ones you should hope it doesn't follow, because there the microtransactions basically gate a bunch of the resources you pick up off into a little inaccessible sub-game you'd have to spend money on.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There will apparently be a lot to do in a region once you have taken it's fortress. Missions and etc, but what stood out to me was something about taking out outpost commanders and taking outposts. Wonder what a "outpost" is exactly, a mini siege? Or were the uruks huddled around campfires in SoM outposts? :v:

Zaodai posted:

MGS5 is one of the ones you should hope it doesn't follow, because there the microtransactions basically gate a bunch of the resources you pick up off into a little inaccessible sub-game you'd have to spend money on.

Yes, but my point was that microtransactions wasn't what (arguably i suppose) made MGS5 a bad game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've played games with this kind of microtransaction stuff (but not MGSV) and I've never felt like I was missing out by not spending money. I think it's tuned for people who don't do any side content at all or something.

Worst case scenario you'll just be able to cheat engine around it. :pcgaming:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully they'll be buried in the options menu or something, rather than a sad looking orc begging you to buy some extra gold when browsing your army rota.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

poptart_fairy posted:

Hopefully they'll be buried in the options menu or something, rather than a sad looking orc begging you to buy some extra gold when browsing your army rota.

Upgrade Ratbag Jr to Captain, 5.8 million teef or $2! CLICK HERE

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

I've played games with this kind of microtransaction stuff (but not MGSV) and I've never felt like I was missing out by not spending money. I think it's tuned for people who don't do any side content at all or something.

Worst case scenario you'll just be able to cheat engine around it. :pcgaming:

This. You guys freaking out about "they have a person specifically to gently caress you over" are nuts. Even MGSV was perfectly fine if you didn't want to super minmax your dumb base poo poo, and other things like the recent AC games have been completely playable without touching the stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They would aim to make it like GTAV, which is popular enough to avoid the harsh criticism that a Kojima game got. Can you even buy S++ soldiers with money in MGSV? Those are very important.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Plus i can't imagine a western developer ever having the balls/ignorance to gradually develop mirriam into the clusterfuck Konami eventually turned Motherbase/FoBs into.

Unrelated, i think this AMA flew under our radar: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/20/shadow-of-war-ask-the-developers-anything-a-ign-first

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Any articles on the konami micro-transaction fiasco?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Scalding Coffee posted:

They would aim to make it like GTAV, which is popular enough to avoid the harsh criticism that a Kojima game got. Can you even buy S++ soldiers with money in MGSV? Those are very important.

GTA V's economy is batshit insane, though.

But yeah cheat engine will take care of this no prob. It even worked for MGS5's god awful online resources grind fest.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
System recommendations for anyone worried about their computer:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Any articles on the konami micro-transaction fiasco?
it's not really that interesting - Kojima Productions was reduced to a skeleton crew after the game came out and Konami kept rolling out newer and more ludicrously expensive bits of tech and gear that were prohibitively expensive to develop. The worst part is that it was integrated into the existing menus and tech progression, so it made it look like it had always been there and that you're supposed to get the resources to develop and use it eventually.

If you'd played the game since release you just rolled your eyes and ignored it, but anyone picking the game up more than a few months after release was faced with Tier 7+ weapons at completely absurd costs baiting them into spending real money to get the best gear in the game. They're still releasing stuff and some of it looks really fun to use, but it's almost unfeasible unless you spend a bit of cash, and if you don't, it's sitting there in your tech tree taunting you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Capn Beeb posted:

GTA V's economy is batshit insane, though.

But yeah cheat engine will take care of this no prob. It even worked for MGS5's god awful online resources grind fest.
That still left out the months long development cycle to develop the next tier of item. Weeks to build one platform and you need a couple more that take longer. One or more weeks to develop two or three items at a time. Treat it like Eve Online and people might wreck stuff in your base and level down development. I think that causes it to stop. I played against people who took down ten guards in a second with some gas missile that ignores height.
It is funny that getting anything done took so much longer, costs so much, and added little additional content to the gameplay, just like Kojima has been doing for decades.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Windows 10 version 14393.102? Where are they going with this?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
One thing I really hope, and I hope the devs know this too, is that the non captain orcs will do something more than just be window dressing. Sure, enemy orcs exist for you to carve through, but I'd like to see them accomplish more than 'make the battle look pretty'.

I want to go into a melee, start killing off unbranded orcs and have my allies push forward as their targets are slain, instead of staying in the same area to fight infinitely respawning enemies till you complete an objective.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 2, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I think they came out with a Windows 10 S.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

It refers to a certain cumulative update. Microsoft hasn't been very good with their semi-annual update nomenclature either. Windows 10 S will be able to play this game since you can buy it from the Windows Store.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 3, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Orv posted:

Even MGSV was perfectly fine if you didn't want to super minmax your dumb base poo poo, and other things like the recent AC games have been completely playable without touching the stuff.

MGS5 started off fine with the line that online FOB stuff was optional and separate. No one bit, so they patched the game to forcibly move your assets to the online portion and then offered to charge you literal protection money. It's probably the most exploitative example I can think of in mainstream games. This is true regardless of whether or not you liked the game.

Zaodai posted:

Upgrade Ratbag Jr to Captain, 5.8 million teef or $2! CLICK HERE

This is the kinda poo poo that'll make me not pick it up at all. By that I mean I'll pick it up and cheatengine until my eyes bleed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mailer posted:

MGS5 started off fine with the line that online FOB stuff was optional and separate. No one bit, so they patched the game to forcibly move your assets to the online portion and then offered to charge you literal protection money. It's probably the most exploitative example I can think of in mainstream games. This is true regardless of whether or not you liked the game.

Ah okay, I finished my time with MGSV before any of that went through and barely touched the base stuff at all, so I didn't see any of that.

I still think people are way too concerned.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I don't think people ITT are really concerned with SoW, like i said there is a huge difference between literally Hitler Konami on the other side of the world that don't care at all about what videogame consumers think about them and plucky lil Monolith who's only really successful IP the last 5 years (i think?) is the Shadow of Mordor series. One can afford to piss away all public trust and the other can not.

I don't think at least that the microtransactions in SoW will be "mandatory" or whatever. It's more that it represents this worrying trend in games where microtransactions are seeping into more or less pure single player games, and just inch by inch less scrupulous companies than Monolith will see what they can get away with. And it's frustrating cause there is so very little you can do about it as a consumer. You can fire off a e-mail that will be deleted or make a thread whining about it that someone will lock.

So yeah, i think people ITT are most likely voicing frustrations, i know i am.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You'll get abused and used like an old wallet and you'll like it.

Yeah that's fair, it's totally reasonable to be concerned about this stuff, especially given that Monolith's parent company is WB, but even with their rash of poo poo ports and crazy decisions, WB has never been a real fucker with RMT and that sort of thing. It does worry me that they've been sort of skittish about talking about it, aside from some small notes in the last stream (which I will get notes for in a day or two I swear), but we'll find out I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, as long as it doesn't end up straight up being Konami bullshit, I'm not worried. I'm sure it'll just be shortcut packs and fancy hats, or whatever. It's fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'll spend good money to get Az-Lar the Demolisher :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll spend good money to get Az-Lar the Demolisher :colbert:

See, but that would actually be halfway clever DLC, that was entirely optional.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Part of me thinks announcing a monetization strategy (on a full price title) this early is just fishing for feedback. Almost all of the fun of the first game was grinding towards 100% so yeah, it probably worries me a bit more than someone who zipped through the story missions and called it a day. It's kind of telling how the whole conversation shifts from cool orc-killing poo poo to hypothetical situations where it's all ruined just because some p2w thing that may/may not really impact the game is announced.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Shadow of Mordor had a good PC port, right? I don't recall any kerfuffles regarding it, at least.

I'm kinda expecting this to be like the original, truth told- quietly very good and will probably get at least Top 5 representation in a lot of GOTY lists, but nothing that will light the world on fire, especially in a year with Persona, Zelda and Neir all coming out before the halfway mark of the year.

My two big hopes now are "make the story less boring" and "don't shoehorn in a loving crafting element."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GoneRampant posted:

Shadow of Mordor had a good PC port, right? I don't recall any kerfuffles regarding it, at least.

I'm kinda expecting this to be like the original, truth told- quietly very good and will probably get at least Top 5 representation in a lot of GOTY lists, but nothing that will light the world on fire, especially in a year with Persona, Zelda and Neir all coming out before the halfway mark of the year.

My two big hopes now are "make the story less boring" and "don't shoehorn in a loving crafting element."

pay money to skip the required crafting

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Honestly I would totally buy cosmetic things like outfits/skins.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GoneRampant posted:

I only played SoM on PC, so I can't really compare, but I don't recall anything being particularly wrong with the PC port. I tend to be fairly picky about PC ports as it is, so it must have been alright.

As long as they don't Arkham Knight it, we'll be fine on that front.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zaodai posted:

I only played SoM on PC, so I can't really compare, but I don't recall anything being particularly wrong with the PC port. I tend to be fairly picky about PC ports as it is, so it must have been alright.

As long as they don't Arkham Knight it, we'll be fine on that front.

For those of us who didn't play Arkham Knight, please explain

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Arkham Knight was released on PC in an unplayable state. It was pulled from Steam and refunds were issued. Even after they "fixed" it the damage had been done.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Iron Crowned posted:

Arkham Knight was released in a completely non-functional state, then removed from steam. Then rereleased on steam with most of the same issues a few months later.

It was a crazy, crazy bad port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Iron Crowned posted:

AK had so many dire performance problems on PC when it came out that they stopped selling it for four months.

• Locked thread