Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if a dipshit like me could beat megaman zero in two thousand ought 3 using an emulator and a keyboard it can't be that hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah just savestate before every jump, it's piss easy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

savestates are for sinners

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Like I get that "the world is hosed up and unfair and bad things happen constantly" is sort of Witcher's thing but this is just like, bad shock value writing to me. It's like if the Malo Mart questline in Twilight Princess ended with Malo being brutally murdered by a bokoblin.

A lot of ppl who like fantasy stuff basically have this terminal break in their brain where they think anything that is relentlessly dark and malicious is realistic and anything that is realistic is inherently good, which is strange because they're engaging a genre called "fantasy" but you know

Witcher 3 is a good game, but it and the people who really love it have that germ

Also Bioshock 1 is even more overrated than Bioshock Infinite

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"people who like a thing I don't like are mentally ill"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

savestates are for sinners

Better to laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean the witcher has nice moments too, that just wasn't one of them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

same but with overly saccharine friendship, cuteness, songs and emotions will save the day things

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

Devil may cry?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hell, agreed.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I literally said I liked the game in my own post lmao

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Sakurazuka posted:

No one should ever use Dark Souls as a baseline for insanely hard games when MM Zero exists.

I replayed the series recently and I gotta disagree, the boss patterns are surprisingly predictable and simple when compared to other 2d action games or any 3d pattern-based, combat-heavy game

I guess what I'm saying is that MMZ seemed hard when younger me was trying to blast through it but if you approach it with a "dark souls" mentality it is surprisingly forgiving and Zero's mobility is perfectly up to the task to dodging every attack ever. It was especially fun to dance though Harpuia's deceptively simple attack loop, the guardians are total chumps

The aztec bird is tricky at first but that's because he's supposed to make you learn Zero's moveset and force you to learn to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge

I can't say the same about Gunvolt or even MMZX/ZXA

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 3, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Witcher 3 does a bit of "force you to choose between two things while having incomplete information", which is the cheapest way to make a player feel bad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they try to warn you about the tower ghost at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

they try to warn you about the tower ghost at least

I royally hosed that one up, which made me go look online to see if there were any other ways to mess up, and uh, I am kind of glad I did even if it meant spoiling things for myself

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

Only the good game over~

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I must've missed that particular warning. I delivered her to her lover, then he died, and my quest log said I had been tricked? Okay

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

she lies about not being able to leave the tower and geralt goes "are you lying to me. should i trust you" and she goes "uh i uh you misheard yes trust me i'm not a wraith"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you haven't seen that it might be a trick then it's all on you. The writers being a bit more subtle than usual instead of bashing you on the head with 'watch out, paragon/renegade choice!' is not a flaw.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 1 has the worst lives system of any game ever made and is in general extremely bullshit and less fun than every zero game after it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think you have to have seen all the ghost vignettes to get the options for "no I'm not going to trust you." Also Geralt has a line that nothing that is cursed should be taken from its place so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I quit Mass Effect 3 after the game tricked me into lying to someone I wanted as an ally. The game was like "tell them about thing" or "tell them about other thing" and I was like, well, they will probably get mad when I them about thing, so I will tell them about other thing first, and then after I told them about other thing, the conversation was over and 20 seconds later they were like "we found out about thing! you loving lied to us and hid this, we're enemies now". And I was like wow gently caress this poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even the "good" path has the lover dude wind up dead, so.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Colonel posted:

mega man zero 1 has the worst lives system of any game ever made and is in general extremely bullshit and less fun than every zero game after it

Yep, imo the series peaked with 3, but 2 and 4 are still very good

1 is alright

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 2's unskippable cutscenes make it hard to replay but zero 3 and 4 are the best mega man games ever created

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

even the "good" path has the lover dude wind up dead, so.
If you visit his hut you find out that he was not far from that scenario anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think that any of the gba ones can be considered the best megaman games ever taking into account they were trying to have insanely detailed pixel art on a screen with like a 100x100 resolution so your character wound up taking about 60% of the total screen real estate giving you approximately 6 inches of peripheral vision to work with

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jay Rust posted:

The Witcher 3 does a bit of "force you to choose between two things while having incomplete information", which is the cheapest way to make a player feel bad.

Sounds just like real life to me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked the quest with that guy who went missing in a village with an old couple and if you just listen to the nice old lady explain that "nah, nothing happened, we helped the guy and he went his merry way" you can finish the quest right there and never learn the truth.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think that any of the gba ones can be considered the best megaman games taking into account they were trying to have insanely detailed pixel art on a screen with like a 100x100 resolution so your character wound up taking about 60% of the total screen real estate giving you approximately 6 inches of peripheral vision to work with

i love mega man games and zero 3 and 4 are probably the best designed ones ever in terms of bosses and levels even in spite of that

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah I never felt bothered by the large sprites, it was fine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

If you haven't seen that it might be a trick then it's all on you. The writers being a bit more subtle than usual instead of bashing you on the head with 'watch out, paragon/renegade choice!' is not a flaw.

Sure. I guess I didn't hit the right flags that let Geralt call her out on anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair i haven't played any of them since they were released so that's literally over 10 years ago and my memory might be faulty

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Healbot posted:

Sounds just like real life to me.

Ehhhhhh I would hope not

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wizard on a water slide posted:

A lot of ppl who like fantasy stuff basically have this terminal break in their brain where they think anything that is relentlessly dark and malicious is realistic and anything that is realistic is inherently good, which is strange because they're engaging a genre called "fantasy" but you know

Witcher 3 is a good game, but it and the people who really love it have that germ

Yeah it's kind of like the problem that plagued superhero comics since the late 90s, where everyone thinks this inherently goofy genre needs to "grow up" because they simultaneously are too jaded to enjoy it as the cutesy escapism it's supposed to be but also unable to let it go because of nostalgia, so all these people who grew up as fans of superhero comics become writers and start writing stuff like "Toy-themed Superman villain Toyman is a child molester" and "Teenage superheroes accidentally cause the death of hundreds of children" and "This random comedy villain is a serial rapist" and just gore everywhere, because that's mature and realistic! *man in tights flies into space in background to fight sentient sun*

Dr Cheeto posted:

Anime.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I have a friend who adores MM 1-10 (he even does all the bonus challenges, mf'er is hooked). Yet he refuses to play 7, 8, or the X series because he likes the tiny sprites of the NES games, and anything else "just isn't mega man," and he has no interest in Zero either.

It is nuts to me how he's willing to pass up on the better portions of a franchise he clearly loves but preferences are preferences I guess

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 3, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who complain about Mega Man 7 because "the sprites are too big" make no sense to me. That game rules.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's really like they went Law and Order SVU in that quest, it really is out of step with the rest of the game even if there are some interesting developments in there. I don't think I had such a negative reaction to any other quests, though, so perhaps it's all uphill from there?

It probably would've been less horrible if something bad had happened to her while she was taking some sort of risk to do good instead of just being attacked off-screen by a serial killer unrelated to anything else that was going on. And also man, I get that her entire existence and sense of fun optimism was basically setup so you get upset when she gets fridged, but that's like, the opposite of an excuse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

Sure. I guess I didn't hit the right flags that let Geralt call her out on anything.
Yes, you need to investigate things thoroughly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please note i am not complaining that the "sprites are too big" in the sense that they look bad or anything just that they took up too much space to the relative size of the screen, which wouldn't have been a problem on the snes because the snes had a standard definition 640x480 to work with. i looked it up and the GBA's screen was 240 pixels by 160 pixels. that's not a lot of room to work with guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

please note i am not complaining that the "sprites are too big" in the sense that they look bad or anything just that they took up too much space to the relative size of the screen, which wouldn't have been a problem on the snes because the snes had a standard definition 640x480 to work with. i looked it up and the GBA's screen was 240 pixels by 160 pixels. that's not a lot of room to work with guys

It really sucks because it reuses the same respawning enemies style of the older games but because the "off screen" box is smaller enemies respawn faster than a Ninja Gaiden game and you can't be constantly dashing without running into things offscreen because your dash is as long or longer than the size of a GBA screen.

• Locked thread