Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Same.

I mean, they do suck as movies in a lot of ways but do still have great bits.

Their worst sin in my opinion is the same as Voyager: wasted potential. They could have been, and should have been so much better.

I think of the prequels the same way I think of, for example, Star Trek 5: despite their flaws, there's a lot to like and appreciate about them, and the nerd hivemind often dismisses them out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

I have to read this book.

I listened to the Next 25 on Audible, it was pretty fantastic. Lotta great stuff behind the scenes, tons of hiring and firing, etc.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

There are other episodes that are "must watch" in terms of story and character development but these are, in my opinion, the best of the best.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who
The Defector
Deja Q
Yesterday's Enterprise
Sins of the Father
The Best of Both Worlds, parts 1 and 2
Remember Me
Reunion
Clues
The Drumhead
Redemption, parts 1 and 2
Darmok
Conundrum
Cause and Effect
I Borg
The Inner Light
Time's Arrow, parts 1 and 2 (gently caress the haters)
Chain of Command, parts 1 and 2
Tapestry
Parallels
Lower Decks
All Good Things

Parallels was depressing. I prefer Phantasms. If only for these iconic moments:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did the new star trek come out yet
?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheBigAristotle posted:

Parallels was depressing. I prefer Phantasms. If only for these iconic moments:

When I was a kid, the Borg-ravaged Enterprise in Parallels was really disturbing to me, in a fun way. "The Federation is gone, the Borg is everywhere!" really stuck with me.

Arglebargle III posted:

?

No. The last release date we heard was this month, but more recently they said they're "not tied" to that date.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Arglebargle III posted:

?

Yes, it is called Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Also a movie called Star Trek: First Contact is out and no other TV or movies will come out.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yes, it is called Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Also a movie called Star Trek: First Contact is out and no other TV or movies will come out.

Don't forget Galaxy Quest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pakled posted:

No. The last release date we heard was this month, but more recently they said they're "not tied" to that date.

They said back in January they weren't hitting the May release date. All they've given now is a vague "Fall 2017" time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NICE lol

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wanna skip ahead to the Dominion War but I think that might be the best part of DS9? You don't want to start a meal with dessert right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The best part of DS9 are the characters and how they grow and interact with each other which is why even bad episodes are good to watch because some of the best little character defining interactions are sometimes stuck into a poo poo episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

vermin posted:

I wanna skip ahead to the Dominion War but I think that might be the best part of DS9? You don't want to start a meal with dessert right?

The Dominion War arc loses a ton of its poignancy and drama without the buildup that begins with "The Jem'Hadar" at the end of season 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The only DS9 episode you should skip is Meridian.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM6Xfs2ZoY

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Meridian is not the only bad episode of DS9, but it is the only episode that is both bad and boring.* Move Along Home, Let He Who Is Without Sin, and Profit & Lace are bad episodes, but they at least hold your interest and are memorable.

*okay Melora might be that too but it's not as bad as Meridian

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'll say it again: The Muse, an episode so stupid and bad I'm convinced nobody else even remembers watching it

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pakled posted:

This is the only part you need to see from Meridian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FXr1r9RpmY&t=34s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
An episode so bad that even though Jeffrey Combs is in it, most people suggest skipping it. Yikes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, I can't remember anything from meridian, not even that amazing scene, and it hasn't even been that long since i watched the entire thing

good lookin' out, brain

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Railing Kill posted:

That only accounts for SA. Elsewhere, there's people making up fan theories like that Jar Jar Binks was a Sith Lord

I haven't read the Ring Theory but Darth Binks has always come across as people taking the piss--though I should know better than to assume Star Wars fandom is kidding around. But absurdist film theory-as-a-joke is a well-worn tradition.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

I'll say it again: The Muse, an episode so stupid and bad I'm convinced nobody else even remembers watching it

People bitch about Profit & Lace and whatnot, but The Storyteller is quite possibly the worst hour of television I've ever watched (it's a tight race between that and the finale of How I Met Your Mother).

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Pakled posted:

*okay Melora might be that too but it's not as bad as Meridian

Melora at least has the Klingon chef and this really goofy action bit at the end where the title character hurls herself at some guy like a missile.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why was the finale of HIMYM bad? I stopped watching around season 5.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Arglebargle III posted:

People were upset Ted wanted to bang Robin.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's also that one where Sisko is swooning over the split personality ghost of a visiting dignitary's wife, which is just dreadful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

They betrayed the premise of the title.

The finale is actually "How I Met The Real Love of my Life, Robin, but I put up with Your Mother for a Few Years there before She Died"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

dont even fink about it posted:

I haven't read the Ring Theory but Darth Binks has always come across as people taking the piss--though I should know better than to assume Star Wars fandom is kidding around. But absurdist film theory-as-a-joke is a well-worn tradition.

poo poo like The Ring Theory is why I don't trust Darth Binks to be a joke either. In any other situation, I would say it's obviously a joke, but... nerds :psyduck:

The Ring Theory tries to prove that the prequels deliberately mirror the original trilogy in a particularly cyclical - and forced - way. For every one piece of "evidence" for it, there's three holes in the theory that the author(s) ignore. Basically, it's SW fans giving George way too much credit in an effort to salvage those piles of poo poo. To put it lightly, it's a stretch, and it isn't even funny or weird like Darth Binks. It's dead serious.

I'm not saying literally everything about the prequel trilogy sucks. I'm just saying that, like, 95% of it sucks. The, um... well, let's see... Oh! John Williams is always good for a big, bombastic score. There. That's something! I'm drawing a blank on anything else that I liked about them. I am not exaggerating.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The podrace is good. It's a well crafted action sequence with a clear goal and excellent visuals and pacing.

That's all I can honestly praise. The bad vastly overwhelms the small moments of good, and someone nailed it earlier, the biggest reason I hate the prequels is for their wasted potential.

Go watch Chronicle if you want to see an Anakin-style downfall told well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The world that the prequels create is a lot more interesting than the actual story of the prequels themselves. That's the best I can say about them, and I was 6-12 when the prequels were coming out so I was right in the target audience.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arglebargle III posted:

They stumbled into a really great portrayal of the titular Mother that basically lived up to everything people could've hoped for. Then in the space of about a minute, they killed the character off and moved Ted past any sort of grieving period and into the realization that he was really meant to be with Robin the whole time.

On paper it's not the WORST idea and I actually think it could've been done well, but the show simply ran too long, and milked everything possible out of that particular will-they-won't-they -- including several episodes where Ted reached the realization that it was an unhealthy relationship. But apparently the creators had this ending planned since the beginning, and kudos to them for finding a pretty brilliant way to keep their plan intact -- I know it's exactly what I'd try to do if I were writing a TV show -- but they really should've accepted the fact that the show had morphed beyond their original concept and the ending could no longer stay exactly as written. Maybe they just needed to alter the tone slightly -- like "Hey, we both know this isn't our ideal relationship, but it's all we have now". But it was presented as your standard "Yay, they're finally together! Again!" and it sucked.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 4, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The finale is actually "How I Met The Real Love of my Life, Robin, but I put up with Your Mother for a Few Years there before She Died"

lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Without getting too much into it, George very obviously wanted to have smack-you-in-the-face story parallels in his prequels. I am sure the Ring Theory goes off the deep end on that though.

I just finally caved and bought the Star Wars boxed blu ray set this week (because I wanted the set with the most special features), so I may put myself through the prequels again and try to be open-minded with it, like I am with movies like Congo, which are trying to elicit a certain type of movie experience rather than be typically good or bad. I am sure I will hate myself for trying. What I may do is see what special features are on the playthrough and try to experience the prequels with Maximum Blu Ray Bullshit Features.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The original post for Darth Binks made the claim that it was probably something Lucas originally planned, but then backed away from after the Phantom Menace because making such a universally hated character a major focus of the next movies would have been a disaster. If anybody is making the claim that Jar Jar is the evil mastermind behind the prequels as they actually exist then that's pretty laughable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My prequel opinions are that Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are both very watchable movies. They have some decent action setpieces, some good visual elements, and some good music. The dialogue is awful and the plots hover between silly and bad. Jar Jar is awful, but at least he's only awful in the first one. I and III aren't good, but I think they're entertaining if you're a Star Wars fan.

Attack of the Clones isn't watchable at all, it's a slow, boring mess of a film.

As for the ring theory, it's clear that George tried to insert some parallel story elements and self-references. That's probably the only competent part of the writing of the prequels, so it's no surprise that retarded fans place a lot of emphasis on it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

dont even fink about it posted:

Without getting too much into it, George very obviously wanted to have smack-you-in-the-face story parallels in his prequels. I am sure the Ring Theory goes off the deep end on that though.

The actual Ring Theory argument seems to be predicated on Lucas extensively pre-planning to a degree that literally all evidence we have about his process refutes. Hell I'd consider his general willingness to adapt and improvise one of his stronger suits as a filmmaker, at least originally before CGI advances basically gave him "too much" freedom. I dunno it sort of seems like one of those ideas where the goal is to give Lucas some credit but they go too far and end up trying to claim he's playing 12D movie chess.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What's the deal with this long-running desire for Star Wars fans to believe that George Lucas is a mastermind storyteller who wrote tomes of stories and backstories for his universe, rather than just a regular creative who wings things? I remember even in the early 90's every fan believed that he had episodes 1-3 and 7-9 all already intricately planned out somewhere in a secret vault.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 3, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because I was a weird kid who wanted to grow up to be a movie stunt/action choreographer, I like the prequels any time lightsabers come out. Other than that, take 'em or leave 'em.

Same reason I suffered through the dross that is Into The Badlands.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 3, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What's the deal with this long-running desire for Star Wars fans to believe that George Lucas is a mastermind storyteller who wrote tomes of stories and backstories for his universe, rather than just a regular creative who wings things? I remember even in the early 90's every fan believed that he had episodes 1-3 and 7-9 all already intricately planned out somewhere in a secret vault.

George is often made fun of for claiming this, since stuff like Boba Fett becoming a Mary Sue and having that leak into II and III was obviously never the original intent. But I dunno, it's pretty obvious he had at least a nascent plan for three prequels in 1977? It's not necessary or even good to have those perfectly planned out decades ahead of time.

Like somebody in the SW thread pointed out that the basis for Jar Jar Binks is Gunga Din (and Gunga Din is present throughout Lucas' work), but Lucas passed it off in interviews as "lol I got that from my son," partially because he doesn't really respect the critic circuit and prefers making you do the reading. Gunga Din is Problematic as gently caress of course, and that really affects Binks too. So it's like, he can be an artist who pays tribute to influences and update them for modern audience appeal, but still make bad poo poo at the same time, because maybe some things should stay in the 30's.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's kind of hard to remember now, but before the prequels released, George Lucas was pretty much universally loved and hailed as a genius creator. The special editions hate didn't even seem to become much of a thing until after Phantom. This was of course ridiculous for someone who as a director was personally responsible only for two well regarded movies, but those movies were Star Wars and American Graffiti, and even nowadays he seems to get way more credit for Empire and Jedi than he he probably ought to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I really like THX 1138. :colbert: