Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Forget it, Geralt, It's Novigrad
Thanks, I just changed TW3's thread title to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I just finished MGSV and goddamn, Kojima, that ending.

I did not expect it at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kojima didn't expect that to be the ending either

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

I didn't either but I think in the april thread people were saying they figured it out from like a trailer before the game was even out

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FillInTheBlank posted:

Now find that video that shows what the last act was supposed to be like with concept art and unfinished cut scenes. It's really cool.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Now find that video that shows what the last act was supposed to be like with concept art and unfinished cut scenes. It's really cool.

I didn't care much about that storyline and wouldn't really miss it, and it would feel anticlimactic after the beats that Act 2 did hit

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All this Witcher talk just reminds me how cool it is that cdpr let people use their assets for moding. Meaning that in my current Skyrim playthrough I get to walk around in this armor
while my sassy teenage giantess sends enemies into orbit while wearing an outfit that uses some of Triss' outfit as its base.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't either but I think in the april thread people were saying they figured it out from like a trailer before the game was even out

I guessed the you're not playing as Big Boss thing from the "what about him?" part of the first trailer, but none of the details. I thought that shot was maybe abbot too obvious, given that it was also a POV shot.

It's honestly a cool twist, though. I know some people didn't like it but I thought it was neat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the opening song on the radio is a cover :ocelot:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

the opening song on the radio is a cover :ocelot:

Period-appropriate, too!

Listening to The Man Who Sold the World and really processing the lyrics was the moment I was convinced that Kojima was inspired

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people guessed it years in advance because they noticed the medic guy in ground zeroes was also voiced by kiefer

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Also they ripped the models from GZ and the medic has the exact same face as Big Boss sans hair

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 3, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I've been replaying Mystical Ninja starring Goemon and man, I would loving kill for a new entry in that series on the Switch.

Konami, stop making pachislot games and give me another Goemon!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I've been replaying Mystical Ninja starring Goemon and man, I would loving kill for a new entry in that series on the Switch.

dang that would own

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah that game was a total loving gem and gave mario 64/ocarina of time a run for their money as best early n64 title

It's a little jankier than the two and quite shorter but drat does it have a great soundtrack and an inspired world, plus rotating between the cast of characters was the best

ebisumaru is hosed though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Is there any game that comes close to featuring the studio's boss as an in-game character 3D modelled in detail complete with his glasses, having super stats and being at one point refered to as "God"?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

well there was mike tyson's punchout before he left nintendo and was replaced with mr dream

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

Is there any game that comes close to featuring the studio's boss as an in-game character 3D modelled in detail complete with his glasses, having super stats and being at one point refered to as "God"?

Wonderful 101 and Nier: Automata.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, technically Riddick games featured the likeness of the studio's owner as the protagonist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Palpek posted:

segagaga has the opposite, with several characters being photos of actual sega employees who you brutally beat down and force to make video games for you

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I think that Mystical Ninja doesn't hold up too well, but Great Adventure is still perfect.

I can't believe that niether of them were VC releases. It's the greatest crime Konami has ever committed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Thanks, I just changed TW3's thread title to this.

I did really like how TW3 managed to have three distinct areas with their own feel without any of them seeming too out of place in this one contained region. Velen is very much the mire and muck of low medieval fantasy and mysticism, whereas just to the north Novigrad almost feels like you're in a film noir with wizards, and then Skellige pushes towards more of a heroic fantasy without totally abandoning the pragmatic/realpolitik world of the Nilfgaardian invasion which ties everything together

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Palpek posted:

I guess you could say Iwata in Breath of the Wild, but I don't think the devs will ever fully admit it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I have a friend who adores MM 1-10 (he even does all the bonus challenges, mf'er is hooked). Yet he refuses to play 7, 8, or the X series because he likes the tiny sprites of the NES games, and anything else "just isn't mega man," and he has no interest in Zero either.

It is nuts to me how he's willing to pass up on the better portions of a franchise he clearly loves but preferences are preferences I guess

The only game in 7,8 and the X series that is great is like, X1. And it's not the end of the world if they miss out on that game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Does Lord British count?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I think that Mystical Ninja doesn't hold up too well, but Great Adventure is still perfect.

I can't believe that niether of them were VC releases. It's the greatest crime Konami has ever committed

Yeah, there's definitely some stuff that dates it, like not being able to control the camera or having to completely stop to change characters. I never got Great Adventure and have been meaning to give it a try, but Mystical Ninja holds up way better than I thought it would, since I haven't played it since I was a small child, and the ideas in it are worth revisiting imo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

In Training posted:

The only game in 7,8 and the X series that is great is like, X1. And it's not the end of the world if they miss out on that game.

Wat??

Are you saying 1 thru 6 are all individually better than X2, X3, or 7? 10 is sharp I'll grant you that but otherwise I'm gonna have to disagree with you there

8 is best left forgotten though

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I didn't care much about that storyline and wouldn't really miss it, and it would feel anticlimactic after the beats that Act 2 did hit

I disagree if only because it wraps up the biggest confusing question mark that the game left.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For real: LIQUID SNAKE loving STOLE SAHELANTHROPUS AND RODE OFF INTO THE SUNSET. I guess they will address it in the next game... oh..

Also, spell check wants to change SAHELANTHROPUS to PHILANTHROPIST :monocle:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eh, I couldn't really give a poo poo about unanswered lore questions, all the character arcs that were interesting to me had played out by the time I was done with it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

X2, X4, and to a lesser extent X3 and X5 are great. Especially when put up against 4, 5, and 6 from the NES games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hadn't played any MM game until December of last year and played beat 1-10 and X1-3 and played X4-8 and even by X2 those games got unfun, I vastly prefer the NES games. Except X1 is fantastic, of course

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the nes games are ok but i don't think they have nearly as much longevity as the x or zero games, even if x2, x3, x5 and x8 aren't great and x6 and x7 are straight-up rear end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

I hadn't played any MM game until December of last year and played beat 1-10 and X1-3 and played X4-8 and even by X2 those games got unfun, I vastly prefer the NES games. Except X1 is fantastic, of course
did you ever play the zero games? they're pretty good. better than most other megaman games, really.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 3 has maybe the best last boss in any mega man game ever made, because it's just a rival battle with cool music

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

did you ever play the zero games? they're pretty good. better than most other megaman games, really.

I been meaning to but I had to take a break because it was a lot of mega man in a very short period of time.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
my mind is unable to comprehend the art of rolling sausages

oh god you have to return back to your starting position to win the level

I love puzzle games but stephens sausage roll is giving my brain indigestion :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

my mind is unable to comprehend the art of rolling sausages

oh god you have to return back to your starting position to win the level

I love puzzle games but stephens sausage roll is giving my brain indigestion :negative:

I have solved exactly 0 puzzles in this game. This has basically erased any feeling of intelligence I had after getting all of the achievements in The Witness

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I think they cause cosmetic changes on the player character and/or Elizabeth? The only one I can think of is that if you let the one guy stick a knife through your hand then your hand is bandaged up.

The texture for the bandage has a rad demon head hidden in it.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

These baby Yoshi have boots, have no saddle, have... diaper?

Protip to any character designers out there: Never give baby things diapers, because it means you have to think about the fact that it means they have assholes and poo poo and nobody wants to think about that.

exquisite tea posted:

According to that ME3 analytics graph only about 3% of players shot Mordin to sabotage the cure, so there's hope for us all.

The graph also said that the majority of players never even customized their Shepard, so I'm betting it's either bugged or it only drew data from people who bought legitimate Origin copies or something.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The sequel, Goemon's Great Adventure, is also rad even if it's a 2.5d side-scroller instead of a 3d action adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone touched a physical game magazine recently? Have they changed much in the past fifteen years?

• Locked thread