Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Make area terrain in intersecting shapes and play Inis with minis for the best miniatures war game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I hesitated to mention the conan boardgame. It's area movement skirmish, but it uses boards, not terrain on a tabletop. I mean, you could make terrain on a tabletop and define some areas and make your own scenario and play it I guess, but that's putting a lot of work on you.

It's also skirmishing on quite a small scale; each player plays usually just or maybe two dudes, and then there's a GM type player who plays all the enemies.

Does it have big floppy dongs though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No.

It has a couple of scantily clad women, though. Also scantily clad men.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

Does it have big floppy dongs though

I thought the Conan canon had him walking around with a raging erection all the time. But that might just be Oglaf.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

No.

It has a couple of scantily clad women, though. Also scantily clad men.

soft pass then

Chill la Chill posted:

I thought the Conan canon had him walking around with a raging erection all the time. But that might just be Oglaf.

my bad; hard pass

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
if you want floppy dongs, then you should get into historical ancients. more specifically celtic, germanic and hellenic factions

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Conan game is both cool and good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Free rules for Warpath and Firefight

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Firefight%20Smol.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Warpath%20smol.pdf

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

New morale rules are up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/new-warhammer-40000-morale/

They should probably have renamed it attrition but morale is one of those legacy mechanics (and thus name) that can't really be wiped out. At least it's simple, but I imagine marines will get some sort of ATKSKNF bonus anyway.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
So you're telling me there are even fewer ways to affect the game state now than there were before? You either tie your enemy up or they are completely removed? I'm sure it will play faster than before but seems kind of like a poo poo mechanic. Compared to old warhammer I'd say this is good - leadership didn't really matter for poo poo before. I will say that it ignores a lot of other more modern mechanics that would make the game more interesting/strategic. Overall, a bit of a wash/missed opportunity.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's Kings of War but worse. Since the game is still based on individuals, the morale phase will further cripple injured groups and make them even less effective in the following turn.

It's similar to Dragon Rampant, but that game abstracts units so removing models is just like losing health points and the unit's effectiveness only changes at 50%. So failed morale tests kill the unit outright or just lower its HP and maybe reduce its effectiveness if that's what brings it under 50%.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spoiler alert: morale still won't matter because ATSKNF is returning.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's not great but it is probably actually an improvement for the people that were affected by morale at all. Previously almost no one bothered with it, but if it did affect you it meant your guys running away and then having to regroup and return, often making them useless for several turns and mostly taking them out of the game (but still forcing you to roll a bunch of dice and move them around). Now your squad is going to burn up faster, but at least they'll still be doing things like shooting back or holding a position while they're getting vaporized.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, WFB deserved to die just for the poo poo with units running and coming back and then running again. I'm glad they've dumped it.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Warhanmer Future Battles is bad and deserves death.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
If they allow marines to functionally ignore morale again I swear to fuckig god

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miles O'Brian posted:

If they allow marines to functionally ignore morale again I swear to fuckig god

One step forward, 40k steps back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sir Teabag posted:

So you're telling me there are even fewer ways to affect the game state now than there were before? You either tie your enemy up or they are completely removed? I'm sure it will play faster than before but seems kind of like a poo poo mechanic. Compared to old warhammer I'd say this is good - leadership didn't really matter for poo poo before. I will say that it ignores a lot of other more modern mechanics that would make the game more interesting/strategic. Overall, a bit of a wash/missed opportunity.

Nope because units can just run out of the fight now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Irate Tree posted:

:vince:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irate Tree posted:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Battleshock my dick

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hammer of Wrath my rear end

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Irate Tree posted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Battleshock my dick

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hammer of Wrath my rear end

Remember, the safe-word is "SCRUNT"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am liking the direction of the new 40k role playing game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chill la Chill posted:

I am liking the direction of the new 40k role playing game.

ArchWizard posted:

D&D Alignment charts are getting weird

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, WFB deserved to die just for the poo poo with units running and coming back and then running again. I'm glad they've dumped it.

Baiting units with fleeing fast cav while counter charging into flanks was super fun and interesting. It made frenzy an actual drawback to have.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Deep striking.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope because units can just run out of the fight now.

See I was confused by that. In the combat post didn't they say that you could move up to 3 inches to tie up a unit that you didn't charge and deny them an overwatch?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but to me it seems like combat is like a mosh pit now that can drag units in that don't wanna slam dance.

If so it's easy to tie everything up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sir Teabag posted:

See I was confused by that. In the combat post didn't they say that you could move up to 3 inches to tie up a unit that you didn't charge and deny them an overwatch?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but to me it seems like combat is like a mosh pit now that can drag units in that don't wanna slam dance.

If so it's easy to tie everything up.

You can, but in their movement phase they can just run backward and disengage. They lose the ability to shoot, though

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The way it works is that during the charge phase, you select your target and charge 2d6" toward them, and if you get within 1" then you are in melee and participate in the fight phase. During the Fight phase, any unit that just charged gets to activate, and after the chargers players alternate selecting a unit in combat to activate until they have all fought. At the start of the activation, models in the unit get a 3" consolidation move towards the closest enemy before the actual fighting, and if this brings you within 1" of another model you can fight that as well.

This means that you can charge one unit, and then during the Fight phase you can consolidate into another unit - providing that they are the closest. You can't (apparently) charge one unit and then use your consolidate to side-step into another one you didn't want to face the overwatch fire from, but if your charge target is close to another unit you can drag them into the combat by pushing your forces forward.

During movement, if you are in combat you have the option to fall back, which sacrifices your firing phase. But it means if you got snagged into a combat you don't want, you can use your movement to break away and move out from engagement. Assuming that its a regular move, the unit you left will not be able to consolidate into you again immediately (although if you were the only combatants they'll be able to charge you again on their turn).

This means if something unfortunate happens like a Dreadnought charges into a squad of slugga boyz or guardians that can't damage it, they at least have the option to pull back in their movement phase and give other units the opportunity to shoot it instead of just being stuck dying miserably. But you'll also have to be careful about how you arrange your firing lines and such or there's a good chance a unit that makes it to combat will be able to interfere with multiple units by engaging them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Deep striking.

into my rear lines

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Looking for a burly Kommando to come infiltrate my deployment zone

serious enquiries only!!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Wanted: Necron bro to help charge my monolith crystal

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

My favourite part of 40k blowing up is the inevitable FFG release to yank out the market from GW.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

kingcom posted:

My favourite part of 40k blowing up is the inevitable FFG release to yank out the market from GW.

As bad as 40k is, I really don't think that is going to happen.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

It's not going to happen. Mantic and FFG had a golden chance to snap up fantasy players and failed, and they are far less rabid than 40k gamers.

Besides early buzz for 8th is generally pretty good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TTerrible posted:

As bad as 40k is, I really don't think that is going to happen.

Yeah, if even Age of Sigmar could somehow un-gently caress the landing and get more market share, despite having awful launch rules, squatting tons of armies, and being a completely different genre in both play and setting, I doubt "40k but simplified" is going to implode.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quite apart from rules, FFG's business model is somehow worse than GW anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

It's not going to happen. Mantic and FFG had a golden chance to snap up fantasy players and failed, and they are far less rabid than 40k gamers.

Besides early buzz for 8th is generally pretty good.

Mantic got some of them, but many are so mentally invested in the idea that there is only GW and nothing else exists, that they now play nothing, or "9th Age" as a fan based continuation, being so used to relying on 3rd party FAQs, house rules, and fan army books just to make the game functional that doing so seems normal.

• Locked thread