Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Spacebump posted:

Don't the Hawks also have bad marketing? Bad local marketing can really hurt a team. I remember in 06 when the (NOLA) Hornets used to market going to games to see visiting players.

This was the Warriors not so long ago. Bob Fitzgerald (the cheesy homer half of the Dubs broadcast team) always got the job of enthusiastically announcing "Laker Packs" in their local tv/radio commercials. "Packs" were bundles of one or two desirable games with several other garbage games that presumably were hard to sell on their own. They weren't even pretending that the real draw was the home team.

TBH it's not a bad marketing strategy if your team is bad and ownership doesn't care about making it good, which was the warriors under Chris Cohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spacebump posted:

Come on Bulls, pull the trigger on a Butler/Matthews + pick swap deal.

The cool thing is, Paxson is aware that Jimmy is valuable and doesn't seem to want to give him up unless he gets blown away by an offer

So we're stuck with a star that the front office doesn't want to build around, but won't commit to moving unless it's fair value!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People buy more tickets to see the best players. That's really not a weird marketing strategy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Henchman of Santa posted:

People buy more tickets to see the best players. That's really not a weird marketing strategy

Only marketing about 8 home games vs 41 is a bad strategy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Henchman of Santa posted:

They buy tickets to see the Knicks regardless of who's playing maybe other cities need to step it up

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

Only marketing about 8 home games vs 41 is a bad strategy.

Not when you do what Phoenix does and raise the prices of those 8 game's tickets by 500%.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dexo posted:

Hahahaha that motherfucking Bulls press conference.

It was like an hour of GarPax throwing Fred Hoiberg under the bus, but still not firing him as then they wouldn't have a punching bag.

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/859806225885745152

gently caress that. What a poo poo org

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's the real reason boxing is dying, people want an american heavyweight champion who knocks everyone out and they don't care about anything else. Knockouts sell. That's why Pacquiao Maywether was a huge fight, because Manny knocked so many people out, and Floyd was undefeated. Floyd waited for Manny to age out of his prime to fight him, like he did for so many other fighters. That's why he has a billion dollars and no obvious signs of CTE, he's the clever villain wrestler who points to his brain to emphasize his wits and craft are why he's defeating your strong and brave hero.

I feel like boxing also sagged in popularity because it was perceived as too brutal. Now we know that football is just as bad, if not worse, and we have bloody MMA fights weekly, so I think it will survive.

It has safety as a niche ethnic sport in america with superfights once a year or so, it can climb out of that niche. The bar where I watched the Mayweather fight was like 99% Pinoy except for my friend and I and we both bet on Floyd to win, the odds were great because of all the people who bet against him just because they loved Manny and hated Floyd. The tension was incredible. They all thought Manny still had a chance, but entropy reigns and the philly shell can only be cracked by a man in motion

Boxing is also insanely boring.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if I wanna watch some cats battle I'll watch fight vids

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

paxson forgetting how fred relates to his players by splicing movie clips into film sessions, which helps while he benches them and assigns minutes with literally no explanation

e: it is bullshit that they are throwing fred under the bus since they hosed him with that roster, but man the dude cannot handle NBA players and it is clear they only won those two games in boston because rondo was coaching the team.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Boxing is best when it just randomly appears on HBO and you have no clue who's fighting

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

For a group of guys that seems to worship MTV Rock & Jock and NBA Jam style games, there sure is a lot of people sympathetic to how boring boxing can be

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fred hoiball storming out of that press conference was one of the funniest things that happened this season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

39 points
14 FGA

LeBron is a witch

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

paxson forgetting how fred relates to his players by splicing movie clips into film sessions, which helps while he benches them and assigns minutes with literally no explanation

e: it is bullshit that they are throwing fred under the bus since they hosed him with that roster, but man the dude cannot handle NBA players and it is clear they only won those two games in boston because rondo was coaching the team.

In fairness they did defend Fred a bit by saying that Butler didn't "fit his style". I thought they threw Jimmy under the bus more than Fred.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Let's all bow our heads and have a moment of silence for Tony Parker

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
"How is that a double foul?"

SHUT THE gently caress UP

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Late to Reggie Miller talk but if he wouldn't feel the incessant need to always be saying something about everything he wouldn't be as terrible

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i have never encountered anyone in my life who likes reggie miller

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Search my post history. I even hated Winning Time because Miller is such a tool.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

R.D. Mangles posted:

i have never encountered anyone in my life who likes reggie miller

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

Strange that Manu will end up being the member of the Big 3 that retires last

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jota posted:

I didn't like him but respect his body of work. I hope this isn't the end for him but realistically it is.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Jota posted:

:france::france::france:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Tony Parker has been shooting 53% from 3 in the playoffs. He's been shooting well even when physically limited.

If he does not play again this is a pretty nice game for him to go out on.

His knee didn't move that much, so I'm cautiously optimistic about his ability to hang around the Spurs organization being bad, just not again this season.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Tony a HOFer? His similarity scores on BR makes me think he probably will be.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

39 points
14 FGA

LeBron is a witch

With that performance LBJ has joined the elite 700 NP playoff club. He should take the #1 spot from Kareem in the next 1-3 games (Kareem has been the leader since 1983 when he took the title from Julius Erving). Here's the top/bottom 15 scorers in NBA/ABA playoff history.

code:
NP	Player
715.64	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
712.96	Michael Jordan
707.48	LeBron James
609.32	Kevin McHale
603.52	Shaquille O'Neal
588.44	Magic Johnson
497.72	Reggie Miller
491.24	Dirk Nowitzki
455.96	Tim Duncan
453.04	Hakeem Olajuwon
441.48	Julius Erving
429.52	Kobe Bryant
406.88	Charles Barkley
406.12	James Worthy
401	Ray Allen

-133.96	Angelo Musi
-134	Guy Rodgers
-134.76	Jim Loscutoff
-134.88	Joe Graboski
-137.48	Slater Martin
-140.28	Woody Sauldsberry
-140.8	Howie Dallmar
-148.64	Bill Russell
-149.64	Red Kerr
-155.96	Dave DeBusschere
-156.96	Chick Halbert
-215.68	Jim Pollard
-226.92	Tom Heinsohn
-271.84	Joe Fulks
-349.56	Bob Cousy
Even in the 1990s there were some insane older players still trying to tout the idea that the 1960s Celtics had the greatest teams of all-time.

Femur posted:

like boxing seems dead, why? because it is in fact boring, i mean like anything else, there can be moments, but why is boxing not prominent today? We are not entertain by it to begin with.

People don't respect boxing as much now because kids aren't allowed to fight as much. If all kids growing up had to do serious boxing in grade school I think they'd find boxing more entertaining. There's a TON of people walking around who've never been punched in the face a few times really hard.

Get punched in the head a few times REALLY hard and people would respect a boxer getting punched 400 times to the head and knowing how to take a punch. Not likely as people are antsy even about football these days.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I've literally never understood why people:

a) like watching Floyd Mayweather box
b) want to see a not-boxer fight a boxer in a boxing match

It would be like seeing who would win in a basketball game, Lebron or Mike Trout.

Yeah, I'm sure Mike Trout can probably play basketball ok but who the gently caress wants to watch that

I would like to see all the fake tough guys throwing weak punches in the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL go into the boxing ring against the real competition. Also, I would like to see a group of athletes from one sport migrate to another. Yes, I'd watch GSW vs. CLE on a hockey rink for a little.

Of course the problem with boxing is that fighters can avoid certain guys in a variety of ways. Kind of like if GSW went to the 2016 finals and saw LBJ on the court and was like..."Yea, we'll just hold onto these rings another year...cancel the finals!"

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 4, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Tony a HOFer? His similarity scores on BR makes me think he probably will be.

Yeah he's easily a lock

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what does NP mean

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Zogo posted:

Of course the problem with boxing is that fighters can avoid certain guys in a variety of ways. Kind of like if GSW went to the 2016 finals and saw LBJ on the court and was like..."Yea, we'll just hold onto these rings another year...cancel the finals!"

That's just a consequence of the 10-point must system. Like imagine how different and weird basketball would be if we scored every quarter 10-9 based on composite performance (not just scoring, but defense, efficiency), and then went to the judges after a game.

Of course in this analogy Dubs would win most games by KO

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
LeBron has been ducking the western conference his whole career.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

dokmo posted:

LeBron has been ducking the western conference his whole career.

truth

the man is amazing, but east has been almost equally bad

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

verbal enema posted:

what does NP mean

Net Points. NP = PTS - FGA - .44 * FTA

Take your gross (points) subtract the tare (FGAs and FTAs) to get the net.

Carlosologist posted:

This guy attempts to quantify individual defense, and it looks like his stats match the eye test, for the most part. SportsVU has been a godsend, honestly

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2017/02/06/individual-defensive-ratings-draymond-embiid-and-giannis-on-top/

It's also interesting to see the guys ranking near the very bottom.

WhyteRyce posted:

Anthony Bennett losing at horse to an old man and admitting he couldn't shoot
https://youtu.be/8JZr_GKwmtY

If AB played against that guy in the big 3 he could win something...maybe.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's the best European guard ever.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Turdsdown Tom posted:

celtics as contenders? or are they paper tigers ready to collapse at any second

By some basic logic and many measurements they could be construed as contenders but the SRS of 2.25 is really dire. I'd call them nominal contenders rather than bona fide contenders. Yea, they fit the bill but not against LBJ or superteam GSW.

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, there recently was a fight card that was showcasing a bunch of Ukrainian dudes headlined by Vasyl Lomachenko that was really good, if dudes wanna check out more on boxing.

I saw that. Lomachenko seems dominant.

illcendiary posted:

That's just a consequence of the 10-point must system. Like imagine how different and weird basketball would be if we scored every quarter 10-9 based on composite performance (not just scoring, but defense, efficiency), and then went to the judges after a game.

Of course in this analogy Dubs would win most games by KO

Yes, the +/- of GSW would KO most teams. Here's the number of times this year a player had a +/- of 12+ and the guys with the most games of -12 or worse:

code:
Player		+/- of 12+
Stephen Curry	45
Klay Thompson	36
Draymond Green	33
Kevin Durant	31
Andre Iguodala	30
DeAndre Jordan	29
LeBron James	27
J.J. Redick	27
James Harden	26
Blake Griffin	24
Kawhi Leonard	24
Chris Paul	24

Player		+/- of -12-
D.J. Augustin	24
Jordan Clarkson	23
Andre Drummond	22
T.J. McConnell	22
Marcus Morris	22
Dario Saric	22
Julius Randle	21

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 4, 2017

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Reggie's was the name I shouted when I pretended to take last second shots as a child. I get why no one would like him, though. I was pretty into Mark Jackson, too, honestly. Don't live long enough to see your heroes turn into color commentators.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Stagger_Lee posted:

Reggie's was the name I shouted when I pretended to take last second shots as a child. I get why no one would like him, though. I was pretty into Mark Jackson, too, honestly. Don't live long enough to see your heroes turn into color commentators.

You may be a bad person tho

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Boxing has much better postgame chat. Imagine if LBJ and other stars got to take dumps on the referees, announcers, players and coaches after the finals like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zert5VaWk&t=143s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lebron's post game "you guys can say whatever about me, but guess what tommorrow I'm gonna wake up and be LeBron James, while you broke bois are gonna go to your normal job and live the same pathetic life" is the most underrated post game/series press conference answer ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dexo posted:

Lebron's post game "you guys can say whatever about me, but guess what tommorrow I'm gonna wake up and be LeBron James, while you broke bois are gonna go to your normal job and live the same pathetic life" is the most underrated post game/series press conference answer ever.

I remember when I saw this live I was mad but I was also like 15

Now, it's a great moment in post game history and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1jgFZZryE

• Locked thread