Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
First day back in a month due to business travel, warm greetings all around, good warm-up, learned a one armed neck choke, all good

Then rolling

I got put into various snake chokes, backbreakers, etc as a "welcome back"

Rip my body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm not sure how this guy's aikido credentials check out, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cool of him to test his stuff out and be humble about it.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
That was a great video, thanks for sharing. A true martial artist right there.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
"My 13 years of Aikido didn't help at all"

Rofl, what an awesome guy to do this, but at the same time, how does he not now think "what a waste of my life doing this has been now it's clear that it's nothing but a poo poo choreographed ballet dance"

How can he advertise what he does as self defense anymore after doing this?

"as soon as I grabbed, I got punched" LOL

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

"My 13 years of Aikido didn't help at all"

Rofl, what an awesome guy to do this, but at the same time, how does he not now think "what a waste of my life doing this has been now it's clear that it's nothing but a poo poo choreographed ballet dance"

How can he advertise what he does as self defense anymore after doing this?

"as soon as I grabbed, I got punched" LOL

not everyone is the martial arts game for ~street self defense~ or whatever (and check yourself if you are because lol).

what's actually a concern is that the dude's conclusion is 'oh maybe aikido would work just not against a trained fighter' instead of 'aikido would never work against an aggressive assailant'

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wangsbig posted:

not everyone is the martial arts game for ~street self defense~ or whatever (and check yourself if you are because lol).

what's actually a concern is that the dude's conclusion is 'oh maybe aikido would work just not against a trained fighter' instead of 'aikido would never work against an aggressive assailant'

I want the video where the 13-year Aikido guy goes up against a spazzy 3-month MMA guy who doesn't know how to pull his punches

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Hey, ballet dancers work a lot harder and are way tougher than most aikido practicioners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXfr5hiUkI

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
the guy probably thinks he spent 13 years having a good time and exercising and learning some minor stuff and thats totally cool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

the guy probably thinks he spent 13 years having a good time and exercising and learning some minor stuff and thats totally cool

Watch the end of the video, he still thinks that stuff would work against someone who doesn't "train to fight"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

From the comments in that video, which one of you is this:
"My Aikido instructors cross-train in Judo, BJJ and boxing, and they developed their strategies sparring with a kickboxing instructor. I know it's tempting to poo poo on every variation of Aikido in existence, but there's a spectrum of training methods and applicability.

I could walk into majority of Aikido dojos, which train only cooperatively, and throw their black belts (of comparable size or smaller) against their will, simply because we train with resistance and random attacks, and are allowed to wrestle and horse around on the mat, while most Aikido places stick to "high spiritual ground" sort of training."

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not sure how this guy's aikido credentials check out, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk

Haha thats cool of the guy to do. I wish they picked it up a bit, people who dont train wont really have a good sense from the video of how easy the MMA guy was going there, he was sparring like 10% intensity

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bangkero posted:

Plenty of really good Muay Thai schools as well - Old School Muay Thai, TKMT, Krudar Muay Thai: K1, e: I forgot Siam No. 1.

Which gyms might be the cheapest/ coolest for dropping in for a day and sparring with folks?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

street aikido

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Which gyms might be the cheapest/ coolest for dropping in for a day and sparring with folks?

Bazooka kickboxing. Come spar with Joseph Valtellini, Matt Embree, and to a lesser extent me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cool. I'm in a similar boat as Xguard -- might be coming up to Toronto a few days every couple months for work, and I have my big annual tournament at the end of July to train toward.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB if you dojo storm an aikido school please record it and share it here with us for posterity. Thank you.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

kimbo305 posted:

For the coolest, I'd choose Siam No. 1 - it's over on the west end but it's conveniently along the subway and it's Ajahn Suchart's school, who's a Muay Thai legend in Canada. For downtown, I'd consider Old School Muay Thai, which is run by a former student of Suchart. Krudar caters to more yuppy kickboxercise types and plenty of people say good things about TKMT (they're always at street events putting on sparring demos) but I've been told their lineage is kind of shady (if you care about that stuff).

In case you're interested, Toronto also has a good San Shou scene although I don't know much about it. The Hong Luck Club in Chinatown has classes and Apex San Shou is a well known competitive school, although way out on the east end.

manyak posted:

Bazooka kickboxing. Come spar with Joseph Valtellini, Matt Embree, and to a lesser extent me
Ha awesome, I didn't realize a former Glory kickboxer opened up in the GTA. I always thought you trained out way west like in Hamilton or Guelph.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Since we're talking about Joseph Valtellini:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBP7YNm10A

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I ended up unintentionally injuring one of our black belts today :(

Knee cutter pass might have torn his muscle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

I ended up unintentionally injuring one of our black belts today :(

Knee cutter pass might have torn his muscle.

Did you absorb his black belt, Highlander-style?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Did you absorb his black belt, Highlander-style?

haha

I am almost certain I will absorb some sort of painful submission once he recovers.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bangkero posted:

Yo xguard there plenty of good schools in Toronto and the GTA - where are you staying?

I third OpenMat as a top choice. Other schools you can check out are: Evolucai Thai, Primal MMA, and Innercity MMA.
Ronin Judo is pretty dingy but great for judo and has late adult classes. Plenty of really good Muay Thai schools as well - Old School Muay Thai, TKMT, Krudar Muay Thai: K1, e: I forgot Siam No. 1. For JKD/FMA there's Fighting Arts Collective. Toronto's also got good systema and krav maga schools if that's what you want to do. :smuggo:

If you're not staying downtown, there are other schools that could be closer and have good instruction as well.

Do you know how much it costs to train at openmat? I heard from someone that it's around $170/month which sounds really steep.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Subyng posted:

Do you know how much it costs to train at openmat? I heard from someone that it's around $170/month which sounds really steep.

Would be cheap by DC standards :eng99:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wow I thought 120/month in SF was bad

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

$160 here unlimited in San Marcos, CA.

Totally worth every penny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think people's perception of monthly costs is gated by how often they [can] train. I'd have to be in really good shape and focused to do 3 times a week. At 2 times a week, it's just barely cheaper to buy day passes than going monthly. When I'm not even sure I can do twice weekly, day passes definitely cheaper.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

I think people's perception of monthly costs is gated by how often they [can] train. I'd have to be in really good shape and focused to do 3 times a week. At 2 times a week, it's just barely cheaper to buy day passes than going monthly. When I'm not even sure I can do twice weekly, day passes definitely cheaper.

Agreed, when I was doing MMA/Boxing specific stuff I was going 4 times a week and spending a lot of the time not working hard, and was still dead by the end of the week and needing a few days hard recovery when combined with a full time job.

If I was just doing BJJ I can't imagine wanting to do it more than 3 times a week consistently, let alone 4 or 5. Maybe on the odd occasion, but not as an ingrained part of my weekly life.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

I'm not sure on current prices around the GTA within the last two years, but that sounds about right - Openmat is known to be a bit more expensive than other gyms. But they usually run a promo that reduces the cost for the annual pass.

Were you able to try out other BJJ places or did you stick with your current one?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

spiralbrain posted:

$160 here unlimited in San Marcos, CA.

Totally worth every penny.

SDBJJ? That was my first school. Hard to train at other gyms now because of how nice that place was. Lots of Paulo's black belts were promoted to blue belt around the same time I was... crazy to think If I had just kept training I could have been a blackbelt by now.

I just signed back up for BJJ after not having done any martial arts seriously in like 4 or 5 years. I'm pretty scared actually, I'm super out of shape and have arthritic shoulders and a bad back. Signed up at Ultimate Fitness in Sac, it's actually pretty cheap, $99/mo for unlimited BJJ/Boxing/Muay Thai, no contract. My belt doesn't even fit around me anymore and I'm gonna have wrap it around once instead of twice like a slob. Blehh disgusting

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 8, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
100$ monthly unlimited in montreal for the places i've been at.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I train 4-5x a week. When I started I was going twice a day 4 days a week...Needless to say I get my $100/mo worth.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Well, my foray into the world of pro wrestling is certainly having an effect on me, the head coach likes to occasionally get guest instructors in for a seminar and recently he got a local BJJ instructor to come teach us some "shoot-wrestling".... it turned out to be the guy I started learning BJJ from drat near 7-8 years ago, the seminar was awesome and has inspired me to join up at his school which is literally on the road I live on.
It's a little more than I'd normally like to pay out at £70 a month for unlimited training in BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing,Judo and MMA/NoGi the timetable is absolutely stacked which is awesome as I'll hopefully be able to squeeze out my money's worth (I work a shift pattern of 2 days 2 nights 4 off).

It's going to be interesting starting again as I haven't trained a striking martial art in nearly nearly 2 years and haven't done regular grappling for at least 5-6 years.

This is the school I'm referring to https://www.1gmma.com

The only issue I have is a bit of a weird one, when I said that he used to train me when I first started BJJ it was at my old martial arts school and he didn't leave on good terms with the owner (my old muay thai instructor) it was all a bit of a weird situation but I know there's some bad blood between them, although I don't train at his school anymore he was a good dude and I feel like I should at least let him know this is what I've decided to do.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just found this thread.

I've been doing krav maga once a week for the last few months, it's pretty cool and I like how well I sleep when I'm a bit sore after a tough lesson! My footwork still needs a lot of work, I dance around too much and get myself off balance when striking :(

We got to put on boxing gloves last week and actually half-strength spar, it was really fun to get hit and have that pain sharpen my reflexes to focus on defense. Pain really is a great teacher. I still always pull my punches when sparring though, I'm not violent by nature

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

got any sevens posted:

Just found this thread.

I've been doing krav maga once a week for the last few months, it's pretty cool and I like how well I sleep when I'm a bit sore after a tough lesson! My footwork still needs a lot of work, I dance around too much and get myself off balance when striking :(

We got to put on boxing gloves last week and actually half-strength spar, it was really fun to get hit and have that pain sharpen my reflexes to focus on defense. Pain really is a great teacher. I still always pull my punches when sparring though, I'm not violent by nature

Just be aware that people here dislike Krav Maga even more than Aikido...so hold on tight :)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Eh, I think the major dislike for Krav Maga is that literally anyone can go to a seminar and become a "certified instructor" and that is just bad all around. That and it might encourage people to think they can defend themselves in a knife fight or from multiple attackers after just a few months

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's a Jean Jacques Machado black belt who visits us sometimes who is also a krav maga instructor and I'd like to think he's legit and wouldn't want his school to be teaching a bogus system.

He could also just be trying to make money, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find the whole premise of krav to be weird. You're learning the martial art of the IDF. But soldiers are garbage at hand-to-hand. Modern military combatives only exist to give soldiers the confidence not to flee at close range. They do two weeks of it during basic training. I imagine if you've done 3 or 4 months of Krav, you've already done way more Krav than any Israeli soldier. And that's weird.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JaySB posted:

Eh, I think the major dislike for Krav Maga is that literally anyone can go to a seminar and become a "certified instructor" and that is just bad all around. That and it might encourage people to think they can defend themselves in a knife fight or from multiple attackers after just a few months

Yeah I have no illusions of either, I just wanted to learn a bit of self defense and try sparring a bit since I've never been in a fight. I'm moving in a few months anyway, should I try a diff kind of martial art? Which ones aren't too hard on my knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I have no illusions of either, I just wanted to learn a bit of self defense and try sparring a bit since I've never been in a fight. I'm moving in a few months anyway, should I try a diff kind of martial art? Which ones aren't too hard on my knees?

Straight-up boxing is fine on the knees. BJJ and Judo are fine on the knees unless something goes horribly horribly wrong - kinda like soccer.

If you want to try something that gives sparring opportunities, try Judo. You'll also get a good few sessions of breakfall training, which is pretty useful.

(our club is actually in discussions to start making extra money by doing fall training seminars)