Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Throwback to corp chat. There's one good reason to join Goonwaffe, which I was reminded of the other day: it's the uncorp. Because there's no actual corp culture (beyond posting here), there's not really any corp activity, which means there isn't really any corp drama, there isn't any intra-corporation personality clash, and if you don't get along with the CEO, you probably don't enjoy being in GSF in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the idea of "corp culture" confuses me

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it takes one

shoot thing, come back in 24h, shoot it again, now services are offline

it ain't like pos where shoot thing = builds paused but at least this way the defenders have a chance to stop the pausing

Bah, gently caress, you're right.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Stunt's gimmicks were close enough to my own that I inherently understood everything he was doing, but wasn't particularly impressed with it. Solo hunting for soft targets isn't really as morale damaging as what an invigorated blops group can do. I don't know why he needed vast influxes of cash unless he was reimbursing a LOT of poorly flown expensive gimmick ships.

The Hambulance posted:

Stunt developed a taste for expensive ships and pods on GSF's dime. He pissed a lot of money away. Just look at his losses

He certainly did, and I'd bet that part of why he hosed off was being told he'd have to start justifying his expenses instead of just getting slung some money to pimp out Asteros with.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Throwback to corp chat. There's one good reason to join Goonwaffe, which I was reminded of the other day: it's the uncorp. Because there's no actual corp culture (beyond posting here), there's not really any corp activity, which means there isn't really any corp drama, there isn't any intra-corporation personality clash, and if you don't get along with the CEO, you probably don't enjoy being in GSF in the first place.

You cant get involved in drama if the guy creating the drama nor you can muster up the :effort: to punch the log in button.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

He also continually bitched at Mittani, later Ted, for some pretty big influxes of cash that (even with his skill hazing peeps in the North) never really saw much return, based on what I saw. He's also just one of those guys who stands out as weird against the background oddities of goons in general.

How do you not break positive in pvp with our reimbursement program? Killing ratters is decent isk in and of itself. T2 loot has gone up a lot in recent years so most ships are gonna be like 50m just in fittings. Ship prices have gone down over recent years while the fitting cost of most fits have gone up. Like, t1 battlecruiser hulls aren't that much more expensive than hac fleets or other mid tier doctrines simply do that the cost of modules kinda blows the idea of cost efficient t1 doctrines out the water.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

^^^^^
edit: to be fair we are talking about goons.

Baculus posted:

CCP found their perfect dev in Fozzie. Someone as completely misguided and confused about their own products as they are.

Fozzie found his perfect job with CCP. A place he can be completely incompetent and never worry about being replaced.

It's like a match made in heaven.

Ah yes, Peter's Principle at work here.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Baculus posted:

Yes, there are people who do crazy amounts of organization-level work for basically no reward, but actually undocking and going out to suck that r64 moon rock is labor (the same way ratting or mining are). So do you salary people to suck moon goo? Do you let them keep the fruits of their labor and buy it from them with a buyback or market orders? Do people willing to do the work get rewarded in other ways?

GSOL staff mines the alliance moon goo and whoever mines the most in a month gets a plex.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Reverand maynard posted:

How do you not break positive in pvp with our reimbursement program? Killing ratters is decent isk in and of itself. T2 loot has gone up a lot in recent years so most ships are gonna be like 50m just in fittings. Ship prices have gone down over recent years while the fitting cost of most fits have gone up. Like, t1 battlecruiser hulls aren't that much more expensive than hac fleets or other mid tier doctrines simply do that the cost of modules kinda blows the idea of cost efficient t1 doctrines out the water.

We had literally zero, none, peacetime reimbursement during the period in which Stunt and vanity corp was in alliance. Full stop, none. Stunt's ship of choice for his squad's activities - yes, he got his own squad, go figure - was the Astero, which I don't believe was covered under strategic SRP at all, and unless I'm mistaken still is not.

<insert montage of checking>

It is not even covered under peacetime, so, there you have it. To be fair, the guy was teaching goons to solo ratters in Asteros, which entailed a fair bit of loss, and since there was no alliance SRP...

I guess his need for ISK was reasonable, even if the amounts were a bit high for relatively low reward. The point where things fell down, in my opinion, was when Stunt returned from a long hiatus and was told he'd need to build and justify a budget for his rudderless, barely-active squad. I figure at that point he decided it was too much :effort: and Anime Masters was eventually shown the door.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
if you dont understand why we took in stunt and created the squad when we did i dont know what to tell you (it was for people to have something to do while sitting in saranen)

BAE B BLUE
Mar 27, 2016

dragonshardz posted:

We had literally zero, none, peacetime reimbursement during the period in which Stunt and vanity corp was in alliance. Full stop, none. Stunt's ship of choice for his squad's activities - yes, he got his own squad, go figure - was the Astero, which I don't believe was covered under strategic SRP at all, and unless I'm mistaken still is not.

<insert montage of checking>

It is not even covered under peacetime, so, there you have it. To be fair, the guy was teaching goons to solo ratters in Asteros, which entailed a fair bit of loss, and since there was no alliance SRP...

I guess his need for ISK was reasonable, even if the amounts were a bit high for relatively low reward. The point where things fell down, in my opinion, was when Stunt returned from a long hiatus and was told he'd need to build and justify a budget for his rudderless, barely-active squad. I figure at that point he decided it was too much :effort: and Anime Masters was eventually shown the door.

Both the astero and the stratios was covered by special squad srp for stunt and his merry band of anime enthusiasts.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nex posted:

if you dont understand why we took in stunt and created the squad when we did i dont know what to tell you (it was for people to have something to do while sitting in saranen)

It was, and worked well at doing that. The "Camp Crystal Lake" fleets worked better. The move to Delve, even more so.

BAE B BLUE posted:

Both the astero and the stratios was covered by special squad srp for stunt and his merry band of anime enthusiasts.

That'd do it for the SRP, then.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't think Pooki has ever said he's gods gift to PVP, he's just less bad than most of goonswarm.

I was the first to really utilize deadspace medium rep scimitars. :getin:

PookBear fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 4, 2017

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

orange juche posted:

You cant get involved in drama if the guy creating the drama nor you can muster up the :effort: to punch the log in button.

some people are just born to create drama...... avoiding them isn't really an option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzl86IjTpHI

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

I was the first to really utilize deadspace medium rep scimitars. :getin:

Yeah but on the other hand you advocated for known retards to cloaky camp gates in t3 ahacs, I think by the end of that experiment my loki was the last man standing.

If more people had picked up on the scimi thing we could have had some really good times with the gilas, as it was we completely dumpstered a 30 man horde gang that was trying to engage us with just one.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
stunt is a good boy, very strong stratio and handsome.

he is very gifted in meme warfare but he is a bad friend.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 4, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

nex posted:

there comes a time where even buttloads of isk can't compensate for the fact you're locked away the most lucrative/plentiful hunting grounds in the game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

there comes a time where even buttloads of isk can't compensate for the fact you're locked away the most lucrative/plentiful hunting grounds in the game

but he could hunt in deklein while being in GSF?

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

but he could hunt in deklein while being in GSF?

very strange indeed! i like stunt, saw him in jabber the other day

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
If we're going to let people who hunt our poo poo in jabber, could we invite some of the more chill pl guys

Ie none of the ones who post here

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Zephyrine posted:

GSOL staff mines the alliance moon goo and whoever mines the most in a month gets a plex.

So your position is that the incentive to undertake this rather considerable endeavor should be an arbitrary reward for the person who does the most free work, with a pat on the back for the runners up. Let's add a more instability to the entire alliance-level moon goo process, because there's no way that could go badly.

Not in our favorite space-themed office-job simulator.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

4th Horseman posted:

If we're going to let people who hunt our poo poo in jabber, could we invite some of the more chill pl guys

I thought that a lot of non-GSF people were allowed to access jabber... It makes sense for coordinating with allies and doing diplomatic bullshit.

But also Discord is way easier to use and more secure and loving ubiquitous now, so who knows.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Baculus posted:

So your position is that the incentive to undertake this rather considerable endeavor should be an arbitrary reward for the person who does the most free work, with a pat on the back for the runners up. Let's add a more instability to the entire alliance-level moon goo process, because there's no way that could go badly.

pretty sure that was a joke

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Baculus posted:

Discord is more secure

:laugh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Baculus posted:

But Discord is more secure

Ahahahaha. No.

Hell no

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Baculus posted:

I thought that a lot of non-GSF people were allowed to access jabber... It makes sense for coordinating with allies and doing diplomatic bullshit.

But also Discord is way easier to use and more secure and loving ubiquitous now, so who knows.

lmao no.

Easier? yes, it's braindead easy. Secure? gently caress no, your conversations are stored on a server you do not own, and have no loving clue where the conversations go, so it is very not secure.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Baculus posted:

you are retarded

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

now, now, let's not all dogpile the poor guy

surely there's a data point or observation that speaks to discord's higher security, that needs but be stated

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Calm down nerds.

If you're concerned about people being on your Jabber server, anything that is not giving them access to your alliance services is more secure? Although laffo if you don't think every conversation had by every diplo in this game isn't copy/pasted to a hundred places.

But no clearly I meant discord provides top-end computer security for all those top secret communiques...

What do you think Michael Flynn's Discord username is?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Baculus posted:

arabslayer420

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Baculus posted:

xXxl0cKh3rUpxXx

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Baculus posted:

Calm down nerds.

If you're concerned about people being on your Jabber server, anything that is not giving them access to your alliance services is more secure? Although laffo if you don't think every conversation had by every diplo in this game isn't copy/pasted to a hundred places.

See my last post

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Me and some other dude would like a channel on mumble for Germans. There are a few of us and same timezone and language is a good thing for efficiency. So I would like to request a channel on mumble. I hope someone able to do this reads this thread or someone can direct me to the right place for that request.
Please give it a funny name like "German SS youth group".

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

Me and some other dude would like a channel on mumble for Germans. There are a few of us and same timezone and language is a good thing for efficiency. So I would like to request a channel on mumble. I hope someone able to do this reads this thread or someone can direct me to the right place for that request.
Please give it a funny name like "German SS youth group".

You should, probably, idk, maybe make a post in AAD? Because anyone capable of doing that doesn't really read poo poo here and this isn't the GSF forum hth

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

DisgracelandUSA posted:

You should, probably, idk, maybe make a post in AAD? Because anyone capable of doing that doesn't really read poo poo here and this isn't the GSF forum hth

It did indeed! Thanks!

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I played Eve for a while a few years ago but was lovely, I tried to play occasionally every few years but never stuck with it.

So now with this alpha clone thing I've made a new character and I'm loving around doing the first few agents missions/tutorial things. Which ship should I be using for the military missions, a slasher or a rifter?

Also I'm signing up for goonwaffe again cos I don't remember my old account and it probably doesn't exist. I can join a corp as an alpha clone right?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mynameisbatman posted:

So I played Eve for a while a few years ago but was lovely, I tried to play occasionally every few years but never stuck with it.

So now with this alpha clone thing I've made a new character and I'm loving around doing the first few agents missions/tutorial things. Which ship should I be using for the military missions, a slasher or a rifter?

Also I'm signing up for goonwaffe again cos I don't remember my old account and it probably doesn't exist. I can join a corp as an alpha clone right?

You absolutely can join as an alpha, however if you were part of goonwaffe before email newbies at goonfleet dot com to have them reactivate your old account rather than make a new one (this will get you in trouble if you do it)

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

You absolutely can join as an alpha, however if you were part of goonwaffe before email newbies at goonfleet dot com to have them reactivate your old account rather than make a new one (this will get you in trouble if you do it)

I tried that but I'm pretty sure it was deleted because it's been inactive for maybe 6 years or so and I can't find it anywhere. I literally have no way to access the old account and don't remember the name or email or anything.

EDIT: Well I applied on the website/forums and in game so I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't get into trouble. :smith:

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 5, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

RabbitWizard posted:

It did indeed! Thanks!

Come back to amar we're top 10 now!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nex posted:

very strange indeed! i like stunt, saw him in jabber the other day

4th Horseman posted:

Stunt is a Vacationer and vacationers have access to elysium unless otherwise banned.

Baculus posted:

Discord certainly is easier to use and more ubiquitous than Jabber. However, it is decidedly NOT more secure - see other's previous points regarding logs being on a server not owned by those using it, etc. - and also has a problem with scale. Namely, the voice service would fall the gently caress over on any given fireside much less a big hurfed stratop or a SotG. There's also the old adage of ain't broke, don't fix.

I'll admit that Discord has better community moderation tools with the addition of, say, Botwinder - I'd pay money for timed bans/mutes on Mumble - but overall Mumble/Jabber scale way better than Discord can possibly hope to. Discord is not designed to support a thousand dudes in text or or voice, Jabber and Mumble are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

mynameisbatman posted:

Rifter. But it really doesn't matter.

You can, but do not make a second account. Email newbies@goonfleet.com if you already have a goonfleet.com account, even if you don't remember the email.

• Locked thread