Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
If there is any big royal news, the meeting may have been whether or not to disclose any today, given that it could severely disrupt the local elections going on.

And if you're lucky enough to be in a place with a local election in today, then vote Labour, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
lol if you search "Prince Phillip Dead", this is the first result:

Guess they put it up as a placeholder and it got quickly indexed by Google

"etc, etc"

Ewan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 4, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

Hopefully it won't come to that but it has to be a backstop option, surely?
Stopping contributions while still an EU member? No, that's not a credible backstop option at all since it'd mean that the UK was explicitly saying to the international community that it cannot be trusted to uphold any treaty it signs, which really isn't a great message to be sending when you're trying to negotiate a whole raft of new trade deals and arrangements with international bodies.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Reminder: Everything Brexit related coming from the UK government is meant for internal consumption only until the polls close on election day. If you want to go full tinfoil even the leaks about the dinner could have been orchestrated to give May an easy opponent to beat up on while not even engaging her internal opposition, given that even the EU has an interest to see May win as much high as possible.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

GaussianCopula posted:

Reminder: Everything Brexit related coming from the UK government is meant for internal consumption only until the polls close on election day. If you want to go full tinfoil even the leaks about the dinner could have been orchestrated to give May an easy opponent to beat up on while not even engaging her internal opposition, given that even the EU has an interest to see May win as much high as possible.

Bit convoluted given the leaks were in German language in a German paper-only newspaper. Wasn't until someone on Twitter picked it up and translated did it start getting reported here

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Igiari posted:

If there is any big royal news, the meeting may have been whether or not to disclose any today, given that it could severely disrupt the local elections going on.

And if you're lucky enough to be in a place with a local election in today, then vote Labour, please.

good point, hopefully the olds are too concerned with the Queen's mortality to go out and vote today.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
full communism now

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Shut the gently caress up you nazi oval office

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ewan posted:

Bit convoluted given the leaks were in German language in a German paper-only newspaper. Wasn't until someone on Twitter picked it up and translated did it start getting reported here

Yes, in today's world a detailed account about an exchange with the British PM getting translated/reported on in the UK after being published in the newspaper of record in Germany is totally unexpected.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

screw those filthy eurowogs we're taking our money and going home in a huff

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/34754...ory-government/

"If you don't give in to our demands, I'll shoot myself"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, in today's world a detailed account about an exchange with the British PM getting translated/reported on in the UK after being published in the newspaper of record in Germany is totally unexpected.
It's a bit convoluted don't you think? Why not just leak in the UK press

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pluskut Tukker posted:

"If you don't give in to our demands, I'll shoot myself"
It is incredibly disappointing to see that our government apparently looked at Syriza's negotiating tactics and thought "my, that looks like a fiendishly clever and successful approach!"

GaussianCopula posted:

As above, I really don't think that's the case - I'm getting a strong Tsipras/Varoufakis vibe from May and the three Brexiteers.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

Remember a few months ago when the foreign office was nervously shuffling its feet about how it had literally no negotiators for the brexit department with any kind of experience at negotiating huge international deals like this?

Lol.

So that's turning out well.
Don't need negotiators for our bold tactic of 'give us everything we want or we'll hold our breath until our face turns blue'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jack2142 posted:

Prince Charles has been disinherited for shits and giggles and the Queen is abdicating in favor of Prince George.

Sadly it's probably something unimportant like Randy Andy being caught up in dodgy arms sales to horrifically brutal & oppressive Middle Eastern regimes again.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's a loving stupid idea.

Our best-in-the-world negotiators are playing 11th dimensional chess, have some faith in glorious Britannia.

learnincurve posted:

I like Philip :( he's the nation's slightly racist old grandpa being forced to go to places he really does not want to be by his wife, so is getting as much entertainment value out of it as possible by taking the piss in the full knowage that she cant yell at him for it in public.

Nah mate, Phil The Greek is a racist piece of royal poo poo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I will put up with liberal whinging about Brexit from southern keyboard warriors all day long, but Philip is a treasure and I'm voting Tory today to spite you. .

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
I'd appreciate it if you voted for your local Labour candidate, instead.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GaussianCopula posted:

It doesn't matter that it's "meant" for domestic political posturing it's still going to have a negative effect. If the electorates in EU nations think we're all cunts then the EU won't want to give us a good deal because they all too have domestic political concerns of their own.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
vote ukip to save the royals from brussels' hex

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Igiari posted:

I'd appreciate it if you voted for your local Labour candidate, instead.

I'm going to vote for my local Green, Labour, independent & maybe SNP candidates today.

STV is great.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

forkboy84 posted:

Sadly it's probably something unimportant like Randy Andy being caught up in dodgy arms sales to horrifically brutal & oppressive Middle Eastern regimes again.

Our best-in-the-world negotiators are playing 11th dimensional chess, have some faith in glorious Britannia.

Nah mate, Phil The Greek is a racist piece of royal poo poo.

24th dimensional fantasy football

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to vote for my local Green, Labour, independent & maybe SNP candidates today.

STV is great.

think of all the incubators and body armor you could have had instead of your communist voting system

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Remember to put the Tories last.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

think of all the incubators and body armor you could have had instead of your communist voting system

The thoughts of all those dead soldier babies is all that gets me up in the morning.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

John McDonnell posted:

Dear Kokoro Wish,

Theresa May has just handed in her notice at the Palace. While Jeremy and the rest of the Labour movement will use this campaign to speak with and listen to voters, she will continue to hide away from any real contact with ordinary people.

The Tories will work on plans to benefit the privileged few, while we build a manifesto for a better, fairer Britain where no one is held back.

And, of course, they'll be sitting with a handful of super-rich donors, convincing them to sign hefty cheques to fund their campaign.

We're the party for the many, not the few, and with all of us working together - there's nothing we can't achieve.

Thank you.

John McDonnell
Shadow Chancellor

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

hello thread good morning and please remember to do a democracy today

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860011105808113664

Done.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/860054833071566848

...except a majority.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Remember to put the Tories last.

I can't. There's a UKIP candidate, and a Unionist party candidate in addition to the Conservative and Unionist one.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Yeah who knows what it is. I'm guessing something anti-climatic, but it is highly unusual for them to call people from across the country at such short notice. My best guess is that it'll be something like the Queen and/or Phillip formally reducing their ceremonial duties or something, but not an abdication.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ewan posted:

Yeah who knows what it is. I'm guessing something anti-climatic, but it is highly unusual for them to call people from across the country at such short notice. My best guess is that it'll be something like the Queen and/or Phillip formally reducing their ceremonial duties or something, but not an abdication.

https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/860057624489930753

You can hear the whole world going 'is that it?'

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Ewan posted:

Phil retiring from public duties is my bet

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Serotonin posted:

Phil retiring from public duties is my bet

That's cheating

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Might have had a minor heart attack or something to prompt it, but it's not exactly a shocking decision is it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

"Prince Philip will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time."

So "he won't be attending any events unless he decides to attend the event". So yeah... anti climatic

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Who gives a shiiiiit

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

HJB posted:

Might have had a minor heart attack or something to prompt it, but it's not exactly a shocking decision is it.

This might be the case given how short the notice was, unless that was just to prevent leaks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Everyone has funny names now, so you might think you're meeting with a normal person but then it turns out to be some kind of Chinese" says Philip on withdrawing from public engagements.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh they were using a mildly interesting announcement as a dress rehearsal for when the queen conks it. There was an aweful stink when Queen Mary of Teck was bedbound and she woke up in the morning to a full dress rehearsal for her own funeral going on - what made it a comedy of errors was that the old harridan was very much alive and kicking and tore everyone involved a new one.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

As much as people hate his racist remarks, he is at times rather witty

"I thought it was against the law these days for a woman to solicit." Said to a woman solicitor.

"You could do with losing a little bit of weight." To hopeful astronaut, 13-year-old Andrew Adams.

"There's a lot of your family in tonight." After glancing at business chief Atul Patel's name badge during a 2009 Buckingham Palace reception for 400 influential British Indians to meet the Royal couple.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ewan posted:

As much as people hate his racist remarks, he is at times rather witty

My autocorrect refuses to recognise lovely as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*