Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone touched a physical game magazine recently? Have they changed much in the past fifteen years?

it'd be kind of cute if they still come with demo discs for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a demo disc that is just a piece of paper with the game boxart and you flip it over and there's scribbled words saying "demo available on the playstation store"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone touched a physical game magazine recently? Have they changed much in the past fifteen years?

The last time I read a game magazine was back in 2008 when I finally let my EGM subscription lapse. That might be a special case because by that point 1up.com was already cannibalizing all their staff and even though there hadn't been an official announcement until the last magazine a lot of long-running talent like Shoe and the guy who made the Hsu and Chan comics were leaving on their own because the writing was on the wall. Also publishers like Ubisoft had just straight-up stopped sending them games because they were so critical.

Anyways it was super disappointing compared to even a few years previously. In the early-00s an EGM during the holiday season could easily be a 300+ page tome full of Content and their reviews were fantastic because they basically ripped of Famitsu wholesale and had long in-depth reviews by four different people for each game and always went to the trouble of assigning at least one big fan/expert of the genre and one relative newbie or outsider as a contrast. Then they re-designed the magazine to look more flashy and it also started having a lot more ads and less content, even the reviews were scaled down from 4 critics to 3 and they were given way less space for text. By 2008 magazines almost never broke 100 pages outside of the holidays and they were more ads than actual content, I think they still had Seanbaby doing stuff for them but it was obvious that there just wasn't money there to produce enough content to justify paying for it. Especially when almost all of their stuff wound up on 1up.com for free.

From what I understand game magazines as I remember them are basically dead in America. There's Game Informer, which is a glorified advertising platform that most people get because it comes for free with the Gamestop membership the cashier browbeat them into getting, but other than that it's mostly niche hobbyist periodicals.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I used to get the GameStop magazine because it comes with their stupid reward service but that poo poo sat around untouched since it was full of things I had read on the internet two months ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I used to get the GameStop magazine because it comes with their stupid reward service but that poo poo sat around untouched since it was full of things I had read on the internet two months ago.

I still get this and same.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I can be assured that my top gaming news made by gamers for gamers is sourced and researched so when i drop a sexy fresh gaming rumor on some unsuspecting noobs and they ask for sources i can smirk and unholster my trusty game informer on the spot and they know that I mean business. That i am not to be hosed with

Edit: for real though dont gently caress with me on gamer topics i will end you emotiomally and physically, burying you beneath my old gamepros

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 4, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/Aitor_Redfield/status/859167949881577473

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ostentatious posted:

I can be assured that my top gaming news made by gamers for gamers is sourced and researched so when i drop a sexy fresh gaming rumor on some unsuspecting noobs and they ask for sources i can smirk and unholster my trusty game informer on the spot and they know that I mean business. That i am not to be hosed with

Edit: for real though dont gently caress with me on gamer topics i will end you emotiomally and physically, burying you beneath my old gamepros

:stare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Healbot posted:

Sounds just like real life to me.

yes but in real life everyone you love dies before you and you feel like poo poo for outliving them and you get terrified of your own mortality and i dont play nintendos so i can be reminded of this fact

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Is freeciv any good? Looking for some decent games to play on my Chromebook and it isn't exactly easy. Tho trying Shadowrun for $2 seems like a pretty easy call. One question, though - how does it compare with XCOM as far as grognard skills/inventory juggling goes? I haven't played either yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Shadowrun isn't terribly grognardy. You'll want to highly specialize in one combat tree because you can't diplo everything, but because of the nature of the way many of the maps and encounters are designed, flanking and good positioning is merely beneficial rather than essential. I mean, unless you're playing on the highest difficulty. You can still get screwed by the rng though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh hey that Little Nightmares game quietly came out. Anyone played it yet? Is it as good as it looked? Silent Little Big Planet is definitely my jam.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Urrrgghhh if Persona 4 wasn't so good I would have uninstalled it the second time some random enemy pulled some bullshit out of its rear end and murdered the protag in one round and erased like an hour of progress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

oh hey that Little Nightmares game quietly came out. Anyone played it yet? Is it as good as it looked? Silent Little Big Planet is definitely my jam.

It's more like Limbo/Inside, so if you liked those it's pretty good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Urrrgghhh if Persona 4 wasn't so good I would have uninstalled it the second time some random enemy pulled some bullshit out of its rear end and murdered the protag in one round and erased like an hour of progress

The quintessential Shin Megami Tensei experience

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bunny Must Die is a hard game, but I'm starting to see that it would actually be easy if the controls weren't bad. Bunny's movements are just sluggish and don't feel responsive at all and that's not a good thing for a game like that.

Also it's bullshit when I accidentally pick up a weapon I don't want. I have the laser sword I don't want the stupid ball and chain thing god drat it!!

I might end up quitting it, but I think I'm getting close to finishing? I dunno.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Save your dolls for Chelsea, just FYI.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

It's more like Limbo/Inside, so if you liked those it's pretty good

The demo seemed more puzzle-y than those and the dev did work on LBP but as long as it's creepy I'm down.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

Save your dolls for Chelsea, just FYI.

I don't ever use them so good to know.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mak0rz posted:

Bunny Must Die is a hard game, but I'm starting to see that it would actually be easy if the controls weren't bad. Bunny's movements are just sluggish and don't feel responsive at all and that's not a good thing for a game like that.

Also it's bullshit when I accidentally pick up a weapon I don't want. I have the laser sword I don't want the stupid ball and chain thing god drat it!!

I might end up quitting it, but I think I'm getting close to finishing? I dunno.

Don't worry, it's not a good game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

Looks pretty interesting.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought someone said it was like Limbo, which was basically a giant turnoff for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's a giant turnon for me though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Limbo was cool, Inside was cool until the end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Limbo was aesthetically really cool, but I basically hated the gameplay.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Inside was great and the ending was fantastic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see why people like the ending to Inside it's a cathartic moment where you go from being the hunted to to the hunter but it didn't do anything for me and I felt like it cheapened the earlier game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I really liked the mechanics of it and the way the physics worked in favor of the idea. I loved all the little details they didn't sacrifice even though the scope of the concept could have easily overwhelmed that section. It was definitely a memorable experience for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

I really liked the mechanics of it and the way the physics worked in favor of the idea. I loved all the little details they didn't sacrifice even though the scope of the concept could have easily overwhelmed that section. It was definitely a memorable experience for me.

Which is interesting because I was focused 100% on the story aspect of it and never really thought about it from a gameplay one.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm glad that people managed to love Inside because it did absolutely nothing for me. That game has its own cool visual style, it doesn't overstay its welcome, it has a cool twist. It really does what its aiming for incredibly well but its completely unremarkable mechanically.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Inside is a short game right?
I'm intrigued and want to witness this twist. but Persona 5 has me completely hooked at the moment

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat it in an evening, it's like maybe four hours depending on if you get stuck on any puzzles.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Took me 3 hours to get fed up and just YouTube the twist.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's perfect.

Edit: Can't believe I actually want shorter games now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Game length should just fit the game. I really like my epic long RPGs but I also like my super short indie sweethearts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A recent game with excellent gameplay length: Hitman 2016. The main game and story could be over in less than ten hours, give or take. The rest of the game - doing challenges, boosting levels, escalations, contracts, the fun of dicking around in levels - easily adds on another 50-60 hours or more - and it's all optional. I can devote as little or as much time as I want to it.

I really, really appreciate this. It feels like a game that respects my time.

This is part of why I love roguelikes, too - they're usually built to be done and over with in bite-sized pieces UNLESS I get good and have a character that'll take hours for me to play with. I don't have to specifically set aside four hour blocks of time to live with the game like I do with, say, Witcher 3 - I can be in and out real fast unless I'm in a place where I can settle in and just go for hours.

I'm probably not saying it well, but basically: I love games that are easy to pick up, play, and finish without dedicating months of my life to them, and so I've kind of lost interest in jrpgs unless they're specifically tailored to me for some reason.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

I got curious, and checked how the three (german) magazines that I read almost 20 years ago are doing today. One of them got shut down in 2013.

There are still reviews in the magazines, but obviously no one needs those a month after a game's release so they post the reviews on their websites first.
Previews were big back then, but now they seem even more important. There is also a lot more Think Pieces.
Other than that, this month I see some super hot articles on Fallout 4 and Peter Molyneux!

The CD's DVD's with the magazines changed completely. Demos are gone, patches are gone, WinZip and DirectX are gone. Every month there is a full game (Valhalla Hills, Gothic 4, Blackguards 2, and other slammers), and the rest is filled with gameplay videos, trailers and video reviews. In case you never heard of YouTube.

This is all yours for only 6,99€ (roughly 300$)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Palpek posted:

Game length should just fit the game. I really like my epic long RPGs but I also like my super short indie sweethearts.

As I'm getting older I'm liking shorter game more and more

If a game is over thirty hours I probably won't finish it for a year

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong. I also like long games. Persona 5 has me completely hooked and I hope it never ends. It's really good. But I prefer shorter games now so that I can finish them in a week or 2.
The problem is that I just keep buying games really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sefal posted:

Don't get me wrong. I also like long games. Persona 5 has me completely hooked and I hope it never ends. It's really good. But I prefer shorter games now so that I can finish them in a week or 2.
The problem is that I just keep buying games really.

You too, huh? :sigh:

I'm getting better at only buying stuff I'll install and play immediately but it's still an uphill battle against ye olde backlog

• Locked thread