Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

That Brian Henson puppet murder mystery movie The Happytime Murders is actually moving forward with Melissa McCarthy attached! I've been wanting this to get made for years now!

http://deadline.com/2017/05/melissa-mccarthy-the-happytime-murders-stx-1202082191/
McCarthy is really hit or miss, I was hoping they'd stick with Jamie Foxx. At least Feig isn't involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://youtu.be/4C0A2GpMNP8

Dark Tower trailer. I think it looks fine. I hope it's at least that.

As long as it's a fun bad I'm down. Give me the weird poo poo from Dark Tower plus Elba pissing off racists just by existing and you have movie of the year whatever year it finally comes out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love the DT books, and I don't really care at all that it doesn't seem like it will be anything close to the books... but I'm skeptical it's going to actually be decent, let alone good. That trailer just gave off a lot of "let's try and salvage what we can from this" vibes. This is in contrast to the trailer for the new It movie, which I thought was a pretty good trailer despite me not really liking the book.

I'll still see it no matter what.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like they're ditching Jake being from the 70s, which I feel is a shame for some reason I can't articulate. I guess I just want to see 70s New York and 80s New York inbetween lobster monsters and Dr. Doom throwing licensed Harry Potter memorabilia.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I know nothing about the books but I'm getting a Last Action Hero but serious vibe.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 3, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Frankly I'd watch Idris Elba do gun-fu all day and not give a gently caress about anything else.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Look at Malcom McDowell's character name

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4274656/?ref_=m_nm_knf_act_i1

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't like how small it looks. A lot of the appeal of the book is its weird druggy sense of scale where time and scale have lost all meaning in a world that has moved on and the quest for the Tower is something that involves and effects every world but in the trailer they make it look like Narnia or something. Even in the dialogue, "both our worlds" and "millions of people" instead of "all worlds" and "all people" takes away a lot of the impact and grandioseness of something that was conceived as Lord of the Rings meets The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on acid.

Also framing it as a kid who gets pulled into a fantasy world instead of a mythical cowboy-knight who meets a modern American boy in the middle of the nuclear hellscape seems like a huge misstep, like it's the kind of thing that they're hoping will make it more accessible to non-book readers but instead turns it into, again, Narnia with Guns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Also framing it as a kid who gets pulled into a fantasy world instead of a mythical cowboy-knight who meets a modern American boy in the middle of the nuclear hellscape seems like a huge misstep

it's pretty clear the creators have forgotten the face of their father.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't read this book but hearing the crazy poo poo you all are talking about this may be the Dune of 2017 and it may be impossible to do the book justice in movie form.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The later books have C3PO and Doctor Doom and Stephen King himself in them and it would be the dumbest thing in the world but I'd still like to see them try that stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The sixth book has the boy switching minds with his talking dog so they can pass a psychic trap that manifests itself in this case as a scene from a cartoon dinosaur movie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Movies need to get weirder.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Stephen King is basically weirdness incarnate. Sometimes it works for him (IT, the first few dark tower books), sometimes it doesn't (Cell, the last few dark tower books) but you really can't fault the guy for just being so out there so many times.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Which books was King on drugs for?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Pretty much the first fifteen years or so of his output.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

GrandpaPants posted:

The good ones.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Weird differences from the source material I noticed. Spoilered for those who care, but the movie looks like it's going to be so different that I don't think it will matter:

-The story seems to take place in modern day rather than the 80's. Which is disappointing since making it a period piece would have been pretty fun.
-Jake never went through a portal to go to Roland's world. He was shoved into traffic by the Man in Black and died a pretty gruesome death before waking up there.
-Jake never drew pictures of/had visions about Roland as far as I can remember.
-Not seeing any of Tull or the railway under the mountain (which was like 2/3rds of the book). Maybe they're having the final confrontation on earth instead?
-It looks like Jake is showing up much earlier in the movie. In the books he doesn't show up until like halfway through the first book.
-Roland goes to earth at some point. That doesn't happen until book 2 when he gathers his companions. This is a pretty drastic change so it has me worried.
-No demonic pregnant women so possibly no demonic abortions. BOOOO!
-The trailer presents like a superhero movie but Roland and Jake don't save poo poo by the end of book 1. Roland corners the Man in Black, they talk, he goes to get his three companions, the end.

kiimo posted:

I haven't read this book but hearing the crazy poo poo you all are talking about this may be the Dune of 2017 and it may be impossible to do the book justice in movie form.

It's an incredibly hard book series to adapt. The first one in particular since it's all about world building and mood with most of the story taking place in flashbacks of various kinds.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 4, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The second and third points happen in the third book.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The sixth book has the boy switching minds with his talking dog so they can pass a psychic trap that manifests itself in this case as a scene from a cartoon dinosaur movie.

... You mean We're Back?!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Again, any differences from the books is due to the movie being a continuation of the series instead of a straight adaptation.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Which isn't really important anyways because movies should be different than books

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

Basically, yeah. Also in one of the last couple books something important is hidden in a locker at the twin towers, implying the man in black was responsible for 9/11, iirc

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I hope Anthony Hopkins reprises his role from Hearts in Atlantis and that they do the scene with the vampire that eats laughs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Again, any differences from the books is due to the movie being a continuation of the series instead of a straight adaptation.

That explains the crazy gunbelt full of loaded cylinders, he's playing on New Game+.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 4, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
:Roland points to his headband and smiles coyly to Jake: "Infinite Ammo".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

Guarantee that's going to have to be pounded into everyone's head. New cycle of everything so that hopefully we get more Elba doing gunkata against lobsters and demons and super smart trains.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is there a greater theme/idea that ties the whole Dark Tower series together? Because whenever anyone is discussing it, it sounds all over the place. And for such a weird story the trailer seems really... generic, I guess? It gives me the same vibes as something like The Last Witch Hunter, where it looks like some fairly rote fantasy/genre fiction ideas without much visual flair or distinctiveness tying it all together. Child, Narnia portal, some goblins, a cool man, a bad man, and a vaguely post-apocalyptic world. And you guys are talking about living trains and lobster men! That trailer could have used a lobster man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Red Bones posted:

Is there a greater theme/idea that ties the whole Dark Tower series together? Because whenever anyone is discussing it, it sounds all over the place. And for such a weird story the trailer seems really... generic, I guess? It gives me the same vibes as something like The Last Witch Hunter, where it looks like some fairly rote fantasy/genre fiction ideas without much visual flair or distinctiveness tying it all together. Child, Narnia portal, some goblins, a cool man, a bad man, and a vaguely post-apocalyptic world. And you guys are talking about living trains and lobster men! That trailer could have used a lobster man.

Yeah, there is. Basically, there's this Tower at the center of all realities that is being attacked/destroyed somehow. Roland travels through multiple alternate worlds trying to get ther,e gathering a motley crew of sidekicks along the way. There's quite a bit of variety in the universes they travel, from The Stand to a post-apocalyptic city where people murder each other over a ZZ Top song because of the evil super-dimensional monorail asleep under it.

It's King trying to do his own weird sci-fi epic and I love it, warts and all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I need to get back to that series. I'm midway through book 4 but I find it hard to care about teenage Roland and his list for a farm girl.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Len posted:

I need to get back to that series. I'm midway through book 4 but I find it hard to care about teenage Roland and his list for a farm girl.

I dunno I mean, what was on that list?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Top Ten Most Overpowered Anime Weapons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Guarantee that's going to have to be pounded into everyone's head. New cycle of everything so that hopefully we get more Elba doing gunkata against lobsters and demons and super smart trains.

I read a lot of King when I was younger, but never the Dark Tower specific stuff except for 'The Talisman'. I think this movie is for people like me who aren't encased in the minutia.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Top Ten Most Overpowered Anime Weapons.

Number Five Will Shock You! (Literally)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

Her kiss.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Mann posted:

I don't like how small it looks. A lot of the appeal of the book is its weird druggy sense of scale where time and scale have lost all meaning in a world that has moved on and the quest for the Tower is something that involves and effects every world but in the trailer they make it look like Narnia or something. Even in the dialogue, "both our worlds" and "millions of people" instead of "all worlds" and "all people" takes away a lot of the impact and grandioseness of something that was conceived as Lord of the Rings meets The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on acid.

Also framing it as a kid who gets pulled into a fantasy world instead of a mythical cowboy-knight who meets a modern American boy in the middle of the nuclear hellscape seems like a huge misstep, like it's the kind of thing that they're hoping will make it more accessible to non-book readers but instead turns it into, again, Narnia with Guns.

Don't act like all three Narnia movies wouldn't have been better with guns.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Every fantasy epic would be better with guns.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Len posted:

Hopefully a lot less (Book 2-3 spoilers)"Split personality legless lady distracting an invisible demon by having sex with it and getting pregnant in the process". Because man, I stopped reading after that point and just read spoilers for the rest of the series and was wholly unimpressed. When I got to the spoilers where the scooby gang has to go to Maine and rescue actual self-insert character Stephen King because he was the prophet of the story and his death meant the end of all things or some such was the point that I good and truly realized that Stephen King is kind of a hack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

If she's white in the movie then the reactions by awful nerds will entirely justify making the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red Bones posted:

The major unifying theme (at least in the books) is one of decay, of things being worn down and falling apart.

The narrative reason that all these disparate elements (robot trains, lobster men, goblins, arthurian knights, cowboys, etc) are mixing together is that the boundaries that would have separated them are collapsing. The eponymous tower is (in some worlds, literally) a support beam that keeps each world from collapsing in on itself, and it's weakening.

• Locked thread