Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
All HBO shows are leaving Amazon Prime sometime in mid-2018.

quote:

HBO has made the strategic decision to pull its library shows off of Amazon’s streaming service after the current licensing pact ends in mid-2018, HBO chairman-CEO Richard Plepler told investors Wednesday during Time Warner’s first-quarter earnings call.

(...)

“I don’t think you’ll see us extend or expand our library programming on Amazon beyond the end of next year,” Plepler said. He cited the “enormous momentum” of sales through Amazon’s service set up to help market streaming offshoots of traditional TV channels such as HBO, Showtime and Starz.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hbo-amazon-shows-leaving-streaming-platform-2018-1202407887/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dammit. That's the whole reason I GOT amazon prime in the first place. You can't get HBO GO by itself. Dammit.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HBO Now is Go without a cable requirement

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

magnificent7 posted:

Dammit. That's the whole reason I GOT amazon prime in the first place. You can't get HBO GO by itself. Dammit.

The standalone version is called HBO Now. It's $14.99 a month and you can even subscribe to it directly through Amazon.

https://order.hbonow.com/nowvsgo

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

magnificent7 posted:

You can order HBO Now by itself, which is what they're talking about. Now that they have their own standalone subscription service, having their library on Amazon is just competing with themselves.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

magnificent7 posted:

You're really missing out if the only reason you got Amazon Prime was for 15 year old HBO shows.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I guess I should stop putting off The Wire.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Will they be keeping hbo now through Amazon? Because I like paying for HBO I just don't want to have to download a separate app.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
13 Reasons Why seems interesting, but the dialogue seems like a slightly edgier version of a Lifetime movie. Does it get better?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah it does. I mean, I was really turned off by it at first because the dialogue reminded me of a crappy fake tryhard teen drama. Closest thing I can think of would be the first season of Secret Life of an American Teen. And I really hated all the characters at first.

To be honest there are still hints of that throughout the series but it calms down in the last half. mostly because the problems the main characters are facing change in tone around then. So, without giving anything away the heaviness of their situation covers up all that junk for the most part. I really cant say much more without going into spoilers other than it does change quite a bit and it was enough to get me invested in it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess I should stop putting off The Wire.

You should wake up tommorow morning, cancel your entire day, lay on the couch and binge it all day.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

tweet my meat posted:

13 Reasons Why

It's an awful show, especially the messages it sends to teens about how to handle emotionally difficult events/trauma. There are a lot of young people that may strongly identify with some of the characters/content. If you have teenagers in your life that are watching the show, try and talk to them about it. Here is a good resource: Talk to your kids about 13 Reasons Why

:corsair::corsair::corsair:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Timby posted:

Season 5 has two excellent episodes, "My Lunch" and "My Fallen Idol," which are essential. Season 6 has "My Musical," composed by the people who did Avenue Q.

Season 7 is one of the most offensively awful seasons of television ever produced, up there with the last two or three seasons of How I Met Your Mother.

Season 8 is pitch-perfect from start to finish, though, and the finale ... bring some tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

To be fair, wasn't Season 7 the year of the big Writer's Strike. IIRC, it was also a short season because of that.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Netflix has added the Great British Baking Show Masterclass episodes that coincide with the seasons that are up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

Netflix has added the Great British Baking Show Masterclass episodes that coincide with the seasons that are up.

I tried watching one but it felt incredibly awkward in a way that the actual show never was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

You should wake up tommorow morning, cancel your entire day, lay on the couch and binge it all day.

Been taking this advice. It's good advice.

I'm gonna be spotting Wire actors in everything now, aren't I?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Been taking this advice. It's good advice.

I'm gonna be spotting Wire actors in everything now, aren't I?

Once you watch The Wire and Deadwood you've seen every actor to ever live.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

Once you watch The Wire and Deadwood you've seen every actor to ever live.

I convinced a friend to start watching The Wire just today, and I've been getting "I didn't know X was in this!" messages off and on since then.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

I convinced a friend to start watching The Wire just today, and I've been getting "I didn't know X was in this!" messages off and on since then.

The Wire owns hard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mo_Steel posted:

The Wire owns hard.
that graphic is great.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wire is extremely, extremely overrated. It's a good show and all for the most part but don't expect to have your life changed by it.

I say most part because some of it terrible. Looking at you, Hamsterdam

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 5, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's definetly one of those things that is fun when someone you know gets into it. Like, I love GOT but I hate talking about it and always groan when someone starts watching because I know they are going to want to talk about it all the time. But the Wire is actually super fun to talk about with the newbies.

drunken officeparty posted:

Wire is extremely, extremely overrated. It's a good show and all for the most part but don't expect to have your life changed by it.

Nah. terrible opinion sorry bud.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I agree that the Wire is overrated, but it is still very good. I wouldn't say The Wire is as good as, say, Patriot or season 1 of Rectify or Breaking Bad, but it is still better than most television by a mile.

But I also think The Shield is overrated so maybe I'm just not a cop show guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I agree that the Wire is overrated, but it is still very good. I wouldn't say The Wire is as good as, say, Patriot or season 1 of Rectify or Breaking Bad, but it is still better than most television by a mile.

It's better than all of those shows.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Ayyyy amazon just added 3 hours of Warner Brothers cartoons in one episode. Call in to work then call your weed guy.

E: do a double feature. Watch the WB cartoon block, then watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit? on Netflix

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 5, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

Ayyyy amazon just added 3 hours of Warner Brothers cartoons in one episode. Call in to work then call your weed guy.

E: do a double feature. Watch the WB cartoon block, then watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit? on Netflix

This is good advice, people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

precision posted:

But I also think The Shield is overrated so maybe I'm just not a cop show guy.

The Wire is not a cop show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

I tried watching one but it felt incredibly awkward in a way that the actual show never was.

If you don't like watching Mary Berry politely poo poo on Paul Hollywood, I don't know what to tell you.

If HBO stuff is leaving eventually then it's time to re-binge The Wire, Deadwood, and Carnivale. At least I have Rome on Blu-ray.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't know about on a desktop, but there is a PBS app for android and ios that streams all their stuff for free. Frontline owns

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you don't like watching Mary Berry politely poo poo on Paul Hollywood, I don't know what to tell you.

Seriously. Even though you can tell it's scripted, they still have such great chemistry together.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's better than all of those shows.

I'd dare to say it's one of the top 3 shows of all time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

Seriously. Even though you can tell it's scripted, they still have such great chemistry together.

I think that's what was probably getting me. They're little back and forth quips were very obviously scripted.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd dare to say it's one of the top 3 shows of all time.

The only person I'll tolerate calling it overrated is our beloved John D'Amico.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Prime:

We watched all of Red Oaks and really liked it. Easy fun 80s tribute comedy.

Started Good Girls Revolt, 3 shows in. Set in late 60s at a newspaper. Involves a lot of womens' lib issues. Could be way smarter and less heavy handed. We'll probably finish it as it's only 1 season unless it gets worse.

Oasis. Scifi. Early colonization of new planet while Earth turns to caca. Watched the pilot and really like it so far. I hope the quality stays up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Handmaidens tale is sort of terrifying.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Are there any good documentaries on the Jonestown Massacre up on streaming services?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it seems like all of the notable ones are available on Youtube.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'll look around then. Just finished the PBS Oklahoma City bombing doc on Netflix which was really good.

Also when does Agents of Shield get good again? I hear that it takes a big upswing in quality around the time of Winter Soldier, but when does that happen in the show?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a PBS Jonestown on Youtube, which I haven't seen but those are always good. The Peoples Temple one that is on there is the one I watched years ago I'm pretty sure and I remember it being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Handmaidens tale is sort of terrifying.

"Sort of"? The end of episode 3 had me :gonk:

It's so good though, I mean loving seriously. It's funny that Hulu is rolling out that show and Harlots at the same time, as Harlots is kind of the polar opposite of Handmaid's Tale (including in regards to quality, the first ep of Harlots was good but it went to poo poo fast)