Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is awkward. Looks like a foreign DPR guerilla is now a U.S. Army serviceman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

In other news, Czech prime minister Sobotka plans to submit resignation of his government, because his finance minister Babiš is suspected of tax fraud and other financial crimes.

What I found interesting - Sobotka was originally expected to remove only his finance minister. But because Babiš is currently leading most popular political party, it would only help him and turn him into a martyr. At least that was how prime minister justified resignation of a whole government. But it's probably too late anyway.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 2, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is awkward. Looks like a foreign DPR guerilla is now a U.S. Army serviceman.

Not terribly (if they take action now that they know who he is).

To just be a basic infantryman in the US Army you only need to be healthy and an American (or pledge to become one). They can say all the crap they want about "investigating" your background for criminal stuff, but they really just want killers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can't wait for amendment to constitution to actually ban Navalnyi from running for president.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can't wait for amendment to constitution to actually ban Navalnyi from running for president.

Nah, they'll just ban people who have serious eye damage from being attacked by members of SERB who previously tried to cause trouble in Kharkiv..

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Nah, they'll just ban people who have serious eye damage from being attacked by members of SERB who previously tried to cause trouble in Kharkiv..
Speaking of Kharkiv, or Ukraine in general to be specific - what on Earth is going on with the Rivne court case against a 92 year guy for his MGB field operative duties 70 years ago?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Fellow goons, here is your chance to change the fate of Hungary. The latest "national consultation" run by our magnificent government can be done online.
This is the STOP BRUSSELES campagin which is against... god knows what at this point. Questions 3. and 4. are basically "SOROS IS TRYING TO DESTROY YOUR COUNTRY BY BRINIGN ILLEGAL IMMIGRUNTS INTO THE COUNTRY" type of thing.
First option is always the Paragon answer, second is the Renegade one. I mean first is agreeing with the government, second is is saying you are an evil gay jew who helps ILLEGAL IMMIGRUNTS run rampant in our country. Follow your hearts goons.

Oh yeah the whole thing has no checks apart from a recaptcha, only limitation is you can only answer once from a single email address.... but the email address doesn't have to be real. (No activation or confirmation whatsoever.) You can do as many as you want from a single IP.

Enjoy: https://nemzetikonzultacio.kormany.hu/ the fate of a country is in your hands. Illiberal Democracy shall prevail!

Edit: Don't actually go and do it. Altho according to the government 600k Hungarians already sent their forms by fuckin surface post and the result will be in favour of the government anyway. Just wanted to point out the bullshit that's happening in this country.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 3, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Now it is your time to shine, Finnish lurkers.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hey there neighbor, looking forward to joining you in inane gov't polling once Vučić takes a few more steps down that Orban path.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What are the actual questions?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

It's pretty special to have a language where going from writing -> pronunciation is pretty much 100% consistent, coming from English/Dutch. Shame pronunciation -> writing does have some decisions to make.

Hello and welcome to slav languages. This indeed owns. Everything else, however... :kheldragar:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Truga posted:

Hello and welcome to slav languages. This indeed owns. Everything else, however... :kheldragar:

You'd be surprised, Russian and Bulgarian have weird vowel reductions on unstressed syllables that weird me out. 1 grapheme = 1 phoneme supremacy, you barbarians

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
And while we are on the topic of silly poo poo that can nevertheless be used as fodder in ironic nationalistic pissing matches. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818840

Are you guys stocking up on rakija (or acceptable local substitute), beer and salty snacks for the yearly decent into European politics by proxy of bizarre and terrible pop?

e: Hosted in Kyiv! Bonus slavness!

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SaltyJesus posted:

You'd be surprised, Russian and Bulgarian have weird vowel reductions on unstressed syllables that weird me out. 1 grapheme = 1 phoneme supremacy, you barbarians

And the stress is placed apparently at random. My old Russian teacher used to tell the story how as a kid she used to have a secret language with her friend that was just them always stressing the first syllable and that that apparently made what they said nigh incomprehensible to everyone else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

And the stress is placed apparently at random. My old Russian teacher used to tell the story how as a kid she used to have a secret language with her friend that was just them always stressing the first syllable and that that apparently made what they said nigh incomprehensible to everyone else.
That's absolutely bullshit. Any Russian speaker with even a sliver of interest is able to "decipher" incorrectly stressed words.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's absolutely bullshit. Any Russian speaker with even a sliver of interest is able to "decipher" incorrectly stressed words.

baBOOshka.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I never learned enough Russian to be able to judge this myself. She was actually Russian so I'm gonna put this down to me badly misremembering what she told us she and her friend were doing, it's been quite a couple years. Sorry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

I never learned enough Russian to be able to judge this myself. She was actually Russian so I'm gonna put this down to me badly misremembering what she told us she and her friend were doing, it's been quite a couple years. Sorry.
Technically what you remember is possible, in limited number of instances where two words are spelt the same way, but stressed differently. However, you can still figure out the context, whether if someone has said "I did drink vodka" or "I did a saw vodka".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Technically what you remember is possible, in limited number of instances where two words are spelt the same way, but stressed differently. However, you can still figure out the context, whether if someone has said "I did drink vodka" or "I did a saw vodka".

One thing I like about Russian is I just need to get all the words for a sentence out of my mouth. The actual order of the words doesn't matter.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

One thing I like about Russian is I just need to get all the words for a sentence out of my mouth. The actual order of the words doesn't matter.

When you've had some drinky drink and start speaking in Ukrainian fast but forget something you can just tack it on at the end and you sound like a native speaker :v:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

spacetoaster posted:

So it's like Latin.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

aphid_licker posted:

Polish, but backwards!

SaltyJesus posted:

This part is easy though. You just convert every unstressed vowel to a schwa and it's close enough.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Ukaine's latest and greatest threat to national security is ....
:chef: Steven Seagal???
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/may/05/ukraine-bans-steven-seagal-national-security-russian-citizenship?CMP=twt_gu

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Haven't you seen all the documentaries about Seagal from the 90s?!

For real though, Ukrainian authorities are getting ridiculous recently. I'm all for their strives for greater independence and self-determination, but suing people with one year left to live and holding full vendetta against celebrities is crossing it into the silly territory.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In Russian, the difference between "I am drinking water" and "I am drinking in Hell" is a single letter (o vs a in the right place).

The language has a lot of funny things like that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

XakEp posted:

In Russian, the difference between "I am drinking water" and "I am drinking in Hell" is a single letter (o vs a in the right place).

Not just the letter, you also have to stress differently the now-separated words. :spergin:

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Try telling drunk Russians that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

XakEp posted:

Following then from vodka being the diminutive of water, if you пить в адку, are you drinking in cutesy hell?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

What's the deal with lgbt concentration camps in Russia?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gay rights is increasingly being seen as a western agenda being imposed on other countries. Then you get a majority muslim part of already deeply and officially homophobic russia and this happens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Following then from vodka being the diminutive of water

Oh god, I used to be quasi-conversant in Polish and never got this. :saddowns:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Russian Victory day parade is going on right now:
https://youtu.be/EZAe92q7DTA

Forgive me for thinking the victory they are celebrating isn't defeating the Nazis.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh god, I used to be quasi-conversant in Polish and never got this. :saddowns:
In the same vein, as 'pić/пить' means 'to drink', then 'piwo/пиво' ('beer') literally means 'the drink'.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Well beer is literally The Drink.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nice trolling, I guess - Ukraine repaints monument of Russian-Ukrainian friendship into rainbow colours ahead of Eurovision contest (too bad that Right Sector stopped the repainting)
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/04/ukraine-repaints-russia-friendship-monument-as-a-rainbow-to-celebrate-diversity/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Nice trolling, I guess - Ukraine repaints monument of Russian-Ukrainian friendship into rainbow colours ahead of Eurovision contest (too bad that Right Sector stopped the repainting)
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/04/ukraine-repaints-russia-friendship-monument-as-a-rainbow-to-celebrate-diversity/

Link to Right Sector story?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Link to Right Sector story?
Here you go http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-eurovision-rainbow-idUSKBN1801XF

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cheers. Disheartening to hear that not only the neo-nazis are throwing a fit over this, even though I'm probably expecting too much. Thinking of it, there's ought to be at least half a dozen EU member states where similar protests could occur.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cheers. Disheartening to hear that not only the neo-nazis are throwing a fit over this, even though I'm probably expecting too much. Thinking of it, there's ought to be at least half a dozen EU member states where similar protests could occur.

Also points out that they apparently hate gay people more than a literal monument praising the enslavement of people they claim to represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Also points out that they apparently hate gay people more than a literal monument praising the enslavement of people they claim to represent.

:chanpop:

Speaks to strength of their platonic feelings for the country.