Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm okay with not completing games now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i still like medium length games. stuff that can be 100%ed in like 30-35 hours is perfect for me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like long games so I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth

I'm like 55 hours into horizon and nearly finished and ive been playing it for like a month. Could be a bit longer imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dollars to game length doesn't work on me because I hate padding and busywork, they act as a detriment to a game's Fun Factor. I'd rather have a sweet short package than something longer but full of uneventful traversal

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm really struggling to think of a game that was too short. Even when the ending is a bit abrupt it's more an issue with pacing than lack of time.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm okay with not completing games now

This is kinda it for me too. I might never finish Yakuza but Im having a great time with it. Its nothing new though, took me like 4 months start to finish to beat Uncharted.

These folks who are already on a second run of persona 5 scare the poo poo out of me.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm really struggling to think of a game that was too short. Even when the ending is a bit abrupt it's more an issue with pacing than lack of time.

Titanfall 2 was the first game in YEARS that I finished and outright wanted another level or 2! That's not to say its too short but I certainly wanted more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TF2 could have used a few more stages and Doom '16 a few less

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think some people got really mad about Metal Gear Rising's length when some reviewer posted his completion stats or w/e (It maybe happened with Vanquish too)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

MGSV

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Okami was not a short game but it ends way too suddenly.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

I agree, Even though I clocked in 180 hours. The story should have gone on just a bit longer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think Titanfall 2's single-player needed a couple more stages where it would reach its full potential. I loved the game but I felt there was still some air left under the accelerator pedal if that makes sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Okami was not a short game but it ends way too suddenly.
They had more than enough time to wind things up, but the game (which is wonderful in so many ways) has terrible pacing.

E: I haven't played Titanfall 2 yet but I am definitely looking forward to it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 4, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Monkey Fracas posted:

Urrrgghhh if Persona 4 wasn't so good I would have uninstalled it the second time some random enemy pulled some bullshit out of its rear end and murdered the protag in one round and erased like an hour of progress
Oh yeah it's not a full solution, but P4G did implement some changes to this. On Normal and I think Hard you restart a floor when you get a game over, Easy lets you restart whatever fight you died in, and I think only Very Hard forces you to reload your last save.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's weird because two mega-long games came out really close to one another that both hooked me totally (Breath of the Wild and Persona 5), but usually I can't do mega-long games anymore. Before Breath of the Wild, the last one I managed to actually complete was Pillars of Eternity, I think.

It's a very special super-long game that can hook me the entire time, which I guess explains how over-the-top my love for Persona 5 is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I can get into 1 mega long game only every couple of years but it's more about what can get me actually hooked rather than a premeditated decision.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I played Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 in back-to-back months and while I loved both they've left my brain in a pile of mush

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't really care how long or short a game is as long as it has decent pacing.

Financially I prefer long games so I get my $60 worth

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have no problem with buying games at full price, in fact I think putting down $60 motivates me to find the good stuff in a title and play it to completion rather than waiting for a sale on something I'm iffy on and getting bored after a couple hours. My instincts about what looks fun are mostly correct and it's only the full-throated endorsements of goons that cause me to waste my money on poo poo I don't like.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Perhaps you should ignore full-throated endorsements no matter how loud or pushy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lakbay posted:

Perhaps you should ignore full-throated endorsements no matter how loud or pushy

Time makes us bolder
Even children get older
I'm getting older, too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's usually pretty obvious if a game is something you might enjoy just from watching a video or two, or at least I can usually tell. If I see someone wholeheartedly recommending something that I don't think I'd enjoy, my usual assumption is that it's just a matter of taste. I might be missing out on some great games that I could've taken a chance on, but so far I've yet to buy a game on someone's recommendation and end up disappointed, so it's probably a wash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Urrrgghhh if Persona 4 wasn't so good I would have uninstalled it the second time some random enemy pulled some bullshit out of its rear end and murdered the protag in one round and erased like an hour of progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcE4-6QGgpc

E: oh you said persona 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1LCUJMnF0

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 4, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

My instincts about what looks fun are mostly correct and it's only the full-throated endorsements of goons that cause me to waste my money on poo poo I don't like.

Which game is your biggest goongret

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

You didn't ask me but mine is Deadly Premonition

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Nier A

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

In terms of hype to overall quality, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It may be legitimately the worst modern game I've ever played.

In terms of cash money spent to disappointment level, probably Pillars of Eternity.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1

E: The Criterion thread in movies is full of poo poo on a lot of films that they swear are worth blind buying but inevitably wind up boring and pretentious

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

TF2 could have used a few more stages and Doom '16 a few less

Yes, no.

I'm the type of guy for whom gameplay>anything else, and with a loop as satisfying as Doom's, the game never wore out its welcome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1

E: The Criterion thread in movies is full of poo poo on a lot of films that they swear are worth blind buying but inevitably wind up boring and pretentious
go back to your comic book movies then lmao

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Help Im Alive posted:

Recently, Nier:Automata.

A good 4-5 hour game stretched over 10s of hours and multiple playthroughs in a deeply lovely open world.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Mordja posted:

I'm the type of guy for whom gameplay>anything else

:hf:

I think sound/music would be my 2nd most cared about thing

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

definitely arma 2 to play the day z mod for me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Undertale.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

enter the gungeon

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

I hate those too!! In fact I started collecting Criterions kind of specifically to be able to see some movie, any kind of movie, that was not the garbage coming out in theaters nowadays.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

To be perfectly fair, Cinema Discusso is the last place you should be looking for movie recommendations.

That said, smdh if La Grande Illusion isn't in your top ten list of films. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is a goongret "I'm sorry I got talked into buying this" or "I'm sorry I can't enjoy this as much as my goon friends"?

• Locked thread