Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oberleutnant posted:

My maternal grandmother was Irish so I'm sorted if I want to leave, but I think I'm going to stick it out because I loving love being poor and angry 24/7.

:agreed:

Can't wait until society collapses and getting two years of living in anarcho-syndaclist Nottingham before God-Queen May's spider drones liquidate the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860138575169540098

Not sure taking a hit in polling

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

If you're wealthy enough to gently caress off at the election of a Tory you're probably not likely to get hosed that badly by them.

I've never gotten a sticker for voting. Surely this isn't actually a thing in the UK?

I think I got one at the 2010 GE but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MrSteerpike/status/860074687224852482

there is no such thing as individuality

all shall become appendages of May, servants to Her will

thus hath She spoken, thus shall it be

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Conservative Party: the brand so toxic that even we're ashamed of ourselves.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

If you're wealthy enough to gently caress off at the election of a Tory you're probably not likely to get hosed that badly by them.

I was broke when I left the UK in 2010 having not had a steady job for about 9 months.

it's really not that hard to move to another country if you travel light and want to make it happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

The Conservative Party: the brand so toxic that even we're ashamed of ourselves.
This is a good thing unless they're going to put 'The Theresa May Local Candidate' on the ballot slips.

MikeCrotch posted:

anarcho-syndaclist Nottingham
Also a good thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JFairfax posted:

I was broke when I left the UK in 2010 having not had a steady job for about 9 months.

it's really not that hard to move to another country if you travel light and want to make it happen.

I'm starting my move to another country tomorrow, as I promised previously in the thread I'm going to keep track of my expenses and post in a month or two what it cost me. I think last time it was about £2k over a couple of months but I didn't track it exactly. This time I think it might be a bit less.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

One of the longest voting slips I've seen in a while

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm starting my move to another country tomorrow, as I promised previously in the thread I'm going to keep track of my expenses and post in a month or two what it cost me. I think last time it was about £2k over a couple of months but I didn't track it exactly. This time I think it might be a bit less.

It's not so bad in most countries, though moving to the UK can be a pain (not that anyone in this thread is likely to). You have to deal with not being able to get a bank account without an address/people not wanting to rent to you without a UK bank account (and sometimes a host of other things, like rental history and references), plus most places will charge you 6-12 months rent up front if you're a forrign without a domestic guarantor.

To be fair I heard that also happens in New York and Japan, but I'm not sure that says much in favour of it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2017

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

LemonDrizzle posted:

I live there, the entire campaign here has been CORBYN BAD MAY GOOD also your current Labour MP didn't take care of that trash business in camden what gives??? It's a 1k majority for Labour, so it's probably not going to go well despite the tories' lovely campaign.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ukle posted:

Does CCHQ know about this? As this is heretical talk against her Holiness Thatcher and should be punished.

Only thing I could think of is that they have been in a coma for 40 years so are unaware of the poo poo Thatcher did to the Tories.

Conservative local councillors have a pretty loose rein on them to let them campaign on local issues.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Is that even a real loving photo? Have they just photoshopped May into everything? That girls' smiling and May looks like she's looking right through her

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Private Speech posted:

It's not so bad in most countries, though moving to the UK can be a pain (not that anyone in this thread is likely to). You have to deal with not being able to get a bank account without an address/people not wanting to rent to you without a UK bank account (and sometimes a host of other things, like rental history and references), plus most places will charge you 6-12 months rent up front if you're a forrign without a domestic guarantor.

To be fair I heard that also happens in New York and Japan, but I'm not sure that says much in favour of it.

Ah yes, the "loop of doom" we called it. In our case the entry point into the loop of doom was the flat - they didn't care about a bank account so long as they got their money. Other countries may vary.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

I live there, the entire campaign here has been CORBYN BAD MAY GOOD also your current Labour MP didn't take care of that trash business in camden what gives??? It's a 1k majority for Labour, so it's probably not going to go well despite the tories' lovely campaign.

Well that campaign at least proposes a solution to Corbyn bad. This tread can only manage the first bit.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conservative local councillors have a pretty loose rein on them to let them campaign on local issues.

Hes not a prospective Councillor, hes going for the job of Mayor of a region that has 100's of thousands of people in it i.e. the role actually has a bit of power. Its really bizarre that their is still someone in the Tory party of any significance that hasn't fully drank the Thatcher kool-aid.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

winegums posted:

Is that even a real loving photo? Have they just photoshopped May into everything? That girls' smiling and May looks like she's looking right through her
That's May for you. I prefer this one:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well that campaign at least proposes a solution to Corbyn bad. This tread can only manage the first bit.

I think you'll find that in fact corbyn... Good?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ukle posted:

Hes not a prospective Councillor, hes going for the job of Mayor of a region that has 100's of thousands of people in it i.e. the role actually has a bit of power. Its really bizarre that their is still someone in the Tory party of any significance that hasn't fully drank the Thatcher kool-aid.

It's weird that for a group of people with an above average interest in politics there's such little awareness of what the Conservative party looks like on the inside. It's incredibly factional, and the PM right now is an anti-Thatcher market interventionist. Not in a left wing sense that this thread appreciates, obviously, but have you not noticed the number of Miliband policies from 2015 that have been straight up lifted for the Conservative 2017 manifesto?

There are plenty of Tories who are free-market enthusiasts in the grand scheme of things and don't see any tension with that and having a bucket list of specific state interventions they'd like to see.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
~9 months away from getting my green card and finalizing my move to the USA, fingers crossed.

I'm actually more optimistic about US politics than UK politics these days, and at any rate the bastards running the show are not really high on my list of reasons why I'd choose to move to a particular country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've received a letter from a debt collection agency about outstanding british gas payment. I paid british gas' final bill after changing suppliers am I going to get spammed by these people if i reply?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

winegums posted:

I think 'thinly veiled contempt' is her default face

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

I've received a letter from a debt collection agency about outstanding british gas payment. I paid british gas' final bill after changing suppliers am I going to get spammed by these people if i reply?

never reply, debt collection agencies are loving atrocious at their paperwork and if it's not in order you don't owe them poo poo. Don't help the bastards. Don't contact them if you're paid up either, that's their business for buying poo poo debts.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Bobstar posted:

Ah yes, the "loop of doom" we called it. In our case the entry point into the loop of doom was the flat - they didn't care about a bank account so long as they got their money. Other countries may vary.

When my partner moved over from France the bank wouldn't accept a written declaration from me as proof of address (I own the flat, so no letting agent, and bank with the bank so they could obviously check their own records to verify I live there) and insisted we get a utility or council tax bill with her name on it for "security/fraud" reasons I pointed out that neither the utility companies or council would perform any checks and just take our word for it they just looked at us blankly and reiterated it was for security reasons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tigey posted:

I think 'thinly veiled contempt' is her default face

Her default face doesn't have the veil. Witness the woman eating chips like she's licking piss off a nettle.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

Yeah probably. I had one and told them to gently caress off but still get things periodically. Try just ignoring them from the start and they'll probably give up faster.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So um, after 1.9 years of legal back and forths, one appeal, and countless thousands of pounds spent, I have apparently just been granted UK citizenship. Just got off the phone with my lawyer. This dirty EU person is now allowed to legally moan about the weather and complain about everything. :yaycloud:

Omfg I'll be able to vote in the upcoming general election.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

awesome-express posted:

So um, after 1.9 years of legal back and forths, one appeal, and countless thousands of pounds spent, I have apparently just been granted UK citizenship. Just got off the phone with my lawyer. This dirty EU person is now allowed to legally moan about the weather and complain about everything. :yaycloud:

Watch your vote not matter! :duckhunt:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 4, 2017

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

When my partner moved over from France the bank wouldn't accept a written declaration from me as proof of address (I own the flat, so no letting agent, and bank with the bank so they could obviously check their own records to verify I live there) and insisted we get a utility or council tax bill with her name on it for "security/fraud" reasons I pointed out that neither the utility companies or council would perform any checks and just take our word for it they just looked at us blankly and reiterated it was for security reasons.

Haha, yes, I think I've mentioned this before, but much as I don't trust any British government not to leave a hypothetical ID database on a train, there is a certain convenience to being officially registered as living somewhere/existing, with a magic number that unlocks services.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

awesome-express posted:

Congratulations! :)

Sorry our fellow countrymen are such anti-forriner arseholes.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Edit: Thank you ^^^ It's been such a gruelling and hard journey I'm finally happy it's been dealt with. I had already assumed they probably rejected it and was expecting to be put on some EU untermensch list.

Bobstar posted:

Haha, yes, I think I've mentioned this before, but much as I don't trust any British government not to leave a hypothetical ID database on a train, there is a certain convenience to being officially registered as living somewhere/existing, with a magic number that unlocks services.

When I was opening a business bank account I tried doing it through HSBC. They told me they needed statements from my personal bank account for *security* reasons. I do personal banking with HSBC, and they said they can't accept HSBC statements.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jose posted:

I'd call British Gas and not the debt collection bastards.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobstar posted:

Like an electoral register, perhaps?

awesome-express posted:

When I was opening a business bank account I tried doing it through HSBC. They told me they needed statements from my personal bank account for *security* reasons. I do personal banking with HSBC, and they said they can't accept HSBC statements.

:what:

The thing with personal banking is that it's really hard to do lots of things without a bank account and you don't want to have to piss about for a week or two gathering their arbitrary evidence when you can present perfectly reasonable evidence to the immediately!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Jose posted:

Dont reply and if you PM me your details i'll do a proper credit check on you. Benefits of working for a finance place. Will need real name, current and last address up to 2 years and date of birth. Of course I would understand if you are uncomfortable sharing this information with an internet stranger :) (running a credit check may effect your credit rating blah blah)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

awesome-express posted:

Congratulations, I hope that when I get around to my application it won't take as long..

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

awesome-express posted:

I have apparently just been granted UK citizenship.

No backsies!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

Congratulations, I hope that when I get around to my application it won't take as long..

Thank you. I had a non-standard background of opening companies and travelling a lot to generate investment for said entrepreneurial ventures. Getting consistent p45s/p60s was nigh impossible, topped with a very complex travel history, created the legal conundrum that I was stuck in.

If you're interested, I can introduce you to my lawyer who will help you out through this process.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

awesome-express posted:

Thank you. I had a non-standard background of opening companies and travelling a lot to generate investment for said entrepreneurial ventures. Getting consistent p45s/p60s was nigh impossible, topped with a very complex travel history, created the legal conundrum that I was stuck in.

If you're interested, I can introduce you to my lawyer who will help you out through this process.

If you're still posting here in a couple of years sure. My process might be a headache yet due to multiple visas that keep changing, but either way I'm not at 5 years yet so here's hoping. Appreciate the offer either way!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
All I'll say is don't ever try to get US residency if you value your sanity. And you can just forget about it right out of the gate if you are the wrong race (i.e. born in India, China, or Mexico). Whites only.

Depending on how you count it I've been working towards it since Feb 2014, and the whole way there you'll be at the tender mercies of your employer, who will also have an interest in dragging the process out as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
After phoning british gas it appears the person who I talked to to pay the final bill didn't tell me it had changed based on the meter readings my new supplier had given them

• Locked thread