Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've grown to love this show after departing during season 1, but then binging and catching up several months ago. Though I do feel they do recycle ideas a bit too much. Someone already pointed out the clone thing feels like deja vu, but the Nygma going "nuts" thing is a bit deja vu too as we was like that after he killed that woman and etc. etc. I still like it though. James Remar is a welcome addition to any cast.

And yeah, that's totally Na-na-na-na-na-na-nan-da Parbutt at the end there, and I should've remember since I'd heard about the excellent casting news for I'M RA'S AL GHUL.

But I think I've heard here on SA and elsewhere that Fox hates this show and wants it to die and we're not getting another season. Any idea how true any of that is? The :twentyfour: hiatus seemed like a real rough move on Fox's part, and not something you'd do to a show you're rooting for.

It's a shame if true, because I feel this show puts Batman '66, Batman '89, Batman:TAS, and Batman Begins in a blender (all without the Batman himself) to great and entertaining results. And my favorite thing really is how they use villains and things from the comic books that are often seldom used in other adaptations (beyond animated anyway) like the Electricutioner, Azrael, and Court Of Owls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

But I think I've heard here on SA and elsewhere that Fox hates this show and wants it to die and we're not getting another season. Any idea how true any of that is? The :twentyfour: hiatus seemed like a real rough move on Fox's part, and not something you'd do to a show you're rooting for.

Fox doesn't hate Gotham. They're postponing episodes of Lucifer until September so Gotham can air its finale this year. Gotham's a guaranteed renewal, simply for syndication reasons, and it's still relatively highly rated on the channel. (I think sixth highest, at last look?) All this scheduling crap is just plain incompetence on the part of the network; again, look at the already renewed Lucifer.

If you want to see what happens when a channel hates a show, look at ABC's upcoming Still Star-Crossed. It's airing in just under a month and there's been absolutely no advertising, and the official twitter feed has been dead since about May last year. When they finally got an airdate, they only updated the side-bar, they didn't even announce it. Rumour is, the only reason it's airing at all is because Shonda Rhimes is producing it.

Gotham's fine.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm not too thrilled that they brought the clone thing back again so soon, but that's probably just a personal dislike of drawn out story lines of this ilk where the main characters are never aware of something the audience is shown. I guess it will make for some fun scenes where "Dark Bruce[/spoilers]" screws with expectations and probably makes out with [spoiler]Selina Kyle, but I find myself wondering how long before the natural conclusion where the clone has a last minute change of heart, realizes Bruce 1.0 is a good person or whatever and takes one for the team. Although, it would be a supremely interesting move from the writers if they just decided to play this clone thing out for another season and let Bruce spend crazy amounts of time with Ras while the clone just hangs out being rear end in a top hat Bruce.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, it would be an interesting way for them to have Bruce training to be Batman abroad while still being a regular on the show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

empty baggie posted:

Eds gasmask wasn't even sealed on the sides. How ridiculous.

Yes, that was the ridiculous thing that happened in this show. It seems totally unrealistic now, doesn't it? I mean, in reality, he would have succumbed to the effects of the gas, and thankfully it wasn't lethal because if it was, then they'd have bring him back to life. Hell, he might accidentally be given superpowers, depending on who it was bringing him back to life, and which methods (that have been established in the show) were used.

But that ill-fitting gas mask... yeah, totally ridiculous.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Superpowered riddles: Twice as dangeous as regular riddles!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, SHEEEEEIIIIIIIT.
Hello Arlo.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, if this isn't a huge setup for a very serious intonation of "the wrong Bruce died" I'm going to be hella disappointed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Yes, that was the ridiculous thing that happened in this show. It seems totally unrealistic now, doesn't it? I mean, in reality, he would have succumbed to the effects of the gas, and thankfully it wasn't lethal because if it was, then they'd have bring him back to life. Hell, he might accidentally be given superpowers, depending on who it was bringing him back to life, and which methods (that have been established in the show) were used.

But that ill-fitting gas mask... yeah, totally ridiculous.

Apparently my sarcasm wasn't apparent, but thanks for the full explanation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, who wants to guess that nothing that is happening to Bruce is "really" happening? Everything is so off kilter I could see that they just have Bruce in a trance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this! posted:

So, who wants to guess that nothing that is happening to Bruce is "really" happening? Everything is so off kilter I could see that they just have Bruce in a trance.

Its then revealed that Bruce was his middle name and his real name is Damian Bruce Wayne

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The first thing they should be training Bruce is how to run.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Raymond J Berry is such a weird loving choice for someone associated with the League Of Shadows, but ok, he is pretty good.

:rip: James Remar.

So who's the ninja? Just a LoS flunky? Who/what is in the Indian Hills crate? Can someone remind who besides Hugo Strange was actually behind the Indian Hills program?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The Court of Owls was behind Indian Hill. They were the ones who ordered everything upstate.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

And the ninja was a talon; a group of fiercely loyal assassins who work for the court of owls.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McPhearson posted:

And the ninja was a talon; a group of fiercely loyal assassins who work for the court of owls.

Yeah I know about the CoO and Talons, but didn't think about that being a Talon over LoS ninja. Interestingly enough, they're very similar. No wonder they've made this link in the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah I know about the CoO and Talons, but didn't think about that being a Talon over LoS ninja. Interestingly enough, they're very similar. No wonder they've made this link in the show.

They've had Talons on the show before. You can tell by their silly masks.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phylodox posted:

They've had Talons on the show before. You can tell by their silly masks.

I thought it was the nehru jackets?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This show is the greatest and most nonsense thing on TV and I don't know why anyone thinks otherwise

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
What the gently caress, CloneBruce.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They couldn't find more than two other people to join their gang?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
And there goes Selana Kyle getting the Batman Returns treatment.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
So much for landing on their feet.

One life down, eight to go.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

haha yessss I was so happy they're doing the cat resurrection.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Episode should have ended with Selina and the cats. Gordon joining the court was obvious, we didn't need to see it, and it lessened the impact of cat woman being reborn.

I get that Gordon is the lead character of this but the court of owls poo poo is so uninteresting compared to the freakshow going on everywhere else in Gotham.

They couldn't find more than two other people to join their gang?

Not on the Gotham budget. People with flamethrowers and ice guns are expensive.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 9, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Without the court, we don't get The Riddler shanking a dude during the middle of Hamlet.

Well... maybe we would have, probably, but that's how it came about and that was loving awesome.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Zebulon posted:

And there goes Selana Kyle getting the Batman Returns treatment.

And Poison Ivy teaming up with Mr. Freeze.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Does this mean we're getting Moron Bane with the tubes coming out of his head?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Does this mean we're getting Moron Bane with the tubes coming out of his head?

Depends where they go with ex-Captain Ba_r_nes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Depends where they go with ex-Captain Ba_r_nes.

Oh son of a bitch. I have a feeling this is exactly what's going to happen, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Gawain The Blind posted:

Episode should have ended with Selina and the cats. Gordon joining the court was obvious, we didn't need to see it, and it lessened the impact of cat woman being reborn.

I get that Gordon is the lead character of this but the court of owls poo poo is so uninteresting compared to the freakshow going on everywhere else in Gotham.

The Court doesn't feel like it's being handled well, but I sort of want to throw that onto a handful of issues. Frank and Jim's plans and plotlines aren't very well thought out, the Court is a very modern creation of the mythos so I don't think they've got enough to draw from yet to really figure them out in the show or how to present them to an audience who doesn't know of them like they might a Freeze or Riddler, etc.

But another issue, too, is Gotham seems to only be able to do one really good character or plotline at a time and everything else just feels like they write themselves into a corner and need to quickly get to where they want the new status quo to be. As such, you get what I feel to be a great Riddler arc, a sort of middling but almost works Penguin arc, but then everyone else feels like they're just getting shoved into new storylines immediately.

In that regard, in some small way, it's IS almost like a live-action comic book. A new direction on a book starts and suddenly we're thrown into reasons why a whole new normal is going to exist and we sort of are supposed to forget a lot of whats recently happened before that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want Lee and Gordon to be friends again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Oh son of a bitch. I have a feeling this is exactly what's going to happen, too.

I thought the way they described the Tetch virus made it pretty clear that it was going to be a precursor to Venom.

As to the Court of Owls stuff, the subplot of Uncle Frank trying to bring in Jim was needlessly confusing. You had scenes of him and Catherine talking about recruiting Jim but then when he was talking with Jim he would go on and on about how they need to stop the Court. So it was hard to follow if he actually was betraying the Court or if he was trying to con Jim into joining. Although shooting himself in the head definitely seems like it clears up his motivation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

As to the Court of Owls stuff, the subplot of Uncle Frank trying to bring in Jim was needlessly confusing. You had scenes of him and Catherine talking about recruiting Jim but then when he was talking with Jim he would go on and on about how they need to stop the Court. So it was hard to follow if he actually was betraying the Court or if he was trying to con Jim into joining. Although shooting himself in the head definitely seems like it clears up his motivation.

I think that was deliberate. We were supposed to be questioning Frank's motivations. It fell apart because who cares, really?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Frank should have been quietly trying to draw Jim into the Court to help rein them in and realizing that it wasn't working and realizing that he'd already crossed a line with both Jim and the Court that was going to get them both killed.

The stuff about Frank's death didn't need to be so convoluted. It should have been accepted as a suicide with some acceptable reason given, but him sort of priming Jim beforehand to be prepared for an eventual recruitment on the horizon.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

I thought the way they described the Tetch virus made it pretty clear that it was going to be a precursor to Venom.

I think the tetch virus just takes your worst trait from annoying personality quirk to homicidal madman.

That drug from season one that made the guy drink all that milk and crush himself with a fridge was the venom precursor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

I think the tetch virus just takes your worst trait from annoying personality quirk to homicidal madman.

That drug from season one that made the guy drink all that milk and crush himself with a fridge was the venom precursor.

Nah, it totally effects your body, like how Barnes' leg got all healed and he got super strength.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Could be both.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

There is more ham to be got.

Season 4 was just officially given the green light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gonz posted:

There is more ham to be got.

Season 4 was just officially given the green light.

I don't know which is weirder, that this show got a fourth season or that I'm happy about it.

• Locked thread