Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I didn't get in on cast either just my AP one. Again if they're pretty open I'm more than willing to bring you guys along. I actually go the 16th.

What did you do at DRC? And yeah it kind of sucks. Having to be the Disney equivalent of a used car salesman sucks. Can't wait to transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I was with the PhotoPass team when they were absorbed by the Internet Help Desk. It was a lot of feeling like a square peg shoved into a round hole. But that's the DRC Difference I guess.

I lasted from February to August before I managed to transfer back to the parks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ooof rough although I think I'd rather be IHD than ITinerary Planning right now. It's not a horrible job just Disney rates us on sales when a 1/2 our calls are ticket support.

Ideally I rather just be doing something in the parks even just cleaning. I should've went that route at first but :derp: an extra $2 a hr and commission won me over.

How was the transfer process? I should hit it in August I think.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ooof rough although I think I'd rather be IHD than ITinerary Planning right now. It's not a horrible job just Disney rates us on sales when a 1/2 our calls are ticket support.

Ideally I rather just be doing something in the parks even just cleaning. I should've went that route at first but :derp: an extra $2 a hr and commission won me over.

How was the transfer process? I should hit it in August I think.

Really fairly painless. I did it through the Transfer Genie, had to do a second interview (even though, technically, I was already a fully trained photographer. But it was easy), then I was on the list. When I finally gave up on full time and put part time, I had my transfer date in four days?

And since I transferred to a nonunion role, I kept my pay rate. Any union role, you get paid the contract rate. 4 weeks later I got Full Time again. I got really lucky with my timing.

I went the automated transfer to frontline route though. You can also apply to things on the jobs site. I'm still technically in the Guest Relations pool but that's been since August and I haven't been offered a spot yet. Wouldn't take it right now anyways - I just started getting trained as a coordinator and I'd rather not give that up so soon.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that would be the ideal of keeping the pay rate. Photographer must've been fun at times. They showed us that back end system that basically captures real time feeds of photipass cameras in the park. Real scary stuff.

I'm excited to see what my options will be. Might try for transportation again which is what I was doing before I started at Disney.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's funny I was just thinking about the photo pass system yesterday and plotting how I would have designed it.

Orwellian live streaming of the cameras was NOT part of how I thought it worked.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ran into the first terrible Photopass photographer at Epcot on Sunday. We wanted to take a pic in the front at the entrance and before we even got into place the guy had taken two pics, the last three my wife had ABF and were hilarious when I saw the pics on the site. I thought she was going to choke the guy.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Zero One posted:

That's funny I was just thinking about the photo pass system yesterday and plotting how I would have designed it.

Orwellian live streaming of the cameras was NOT part of how I thought it worked.

Less Orwellian and more "I can't actually see the photos I take in the field so let me make sure the photos actually look decent."

Today's the first day I've been up front in weeks so I can confidently say it wasn't me haha.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Future world tour kind of zzzz. Hope it picks up

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

'One Little Spark' is a far worse ear worm than 'it's a small world', I haven't been able to get it out of my head for days now :gonk:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Icedude posted:

'One Little Spark' is a far worse ear worm than 'it's a small world', I haven't been able to get it out of my head for days now :gonk:

NO
STOP

Renegret posted:

Carousel of progress still gets me and it's been 3 months since I last went on it.

AHHHH

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Icedude posted:

Carousel of progress still gets me and it's been 3 months since I last went on it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually the end of the tour was real good. They have a original figment AA backstage (the one with the blocks) along with the singing toast from Kitchen Kabaret. Real cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pandora is pretty incredible. Easily on par with the Harry Potter stuff for themeing and design. We didn't get to see the nighttime lighting, as they didn't turn it on last night, but we did get to ride both rides (River Journey twice). River Journey is my favorite dark ride/boat ride yet. Even if you don't care about Avatar at all, it's pure spectacle for your eyes and ears. The shaman was easily the highlight of the entire expansion. Flight of Passage is somewhere between Soarin and The Simpsons, which I personally love.

The whole place still feels like Animal Kingdom which is great, but with a big dose of fantasy. They nailed it, and I can't wait to see it at night.

My wife made this dessert and it's fantastic!

If anyone has any connections with Disney related publications I'd be happy to connect with them and share photos.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2017

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Bottom Liner posted:

*amazing pictures*

What is that dessert? I want to find out how to make it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm irrationally upset that the robot doesn't have the grass hula skirt like advertised.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The 18th is when we get to go to the AV preview from 6-8 so night time fun time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fejsze posted:

What is that dessert? I want to find out how to make it.

Blueberry cheesecake is what they call it on the menu. It's a long list of things:

Blueberry and blackberry cheesecake mousse
passion fruit curd
meringue and green tea white chocolate
blackberry sauce
vanilla chiffon cake

and she has to do it all by hand, step by step :v:

demonR6 posted:

The 18th is when we get to go to the AV preview from 6-8 so night time fun time.

Yeah our time was 6-8 as well, but it really isn't dark by 8 and we even stayed until 8:45 hoping they would light it up but no luck.

The bowls at Satu'li Canteen are really good too, especially with the charred onion chimichurri sauce. I don't know if they beat the ribs at Flame Tree BBQ, but it is a nice alternative. Plenty of adult drinks in Pandora as well :getin:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 3, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How was the structure? Did they just let you loose and say go?

Us goons should start a Disney site. Just something casual to share.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah you just show your tickets and you're in. You can Flight kept going down and we were lucky to be in the last wave that loaded. They gave out free drink vouchers to everyone for it as well. Get the lemonade one, the blue Na'vi one is just blue Powerade.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

So how exactly does Flight work in terms of the launch of the ride? I've seen in the photos that "wall" in front of the seats. I'm assuming that lowers when the film starts? Does it push you forward a bit at all?

I heard you can feel the Banshee breathing and stuff. Wild.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Bottom Liner posted:

Blueberry cheesecake is what they call it on the menu. It's a long list of things:

Blueberry and blackberry cheesecake mousse
passion fruit curd
meringue and green tea white chocolate
blackberry sauce
vanilla chiffon cake

and she has to do it all by hand, step by step :v:

Thanks! Does Disney still give out recipes for any item they serve? I'll have to email them if they do. Haven't asked for one in a loooong time, have some old Disneyland ones that I still make from time to time, but I remember asking for those ones in person.

e: and tell your wife she does beautiful work, and I am jealous of her skills.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Doing undiscovered FutureWorld on Wednesday then Garden Grill right after; this stupid company is going to drive me bankrupt :negative:

Welcome to the Disney Employee cycle. You work, they pay you, you give that money right back to them.

Also: Bottom Liner, tell your wife that the blueberry cheesecake is the thing in Pandora I am most looking forward to.

(especially since I may not get to ride Flight if it's restraint is too small for my pudgy body. so I'll eat a cheesecake instead. That'll show them)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 4, 2017

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I got my packet for Disneyland a few days ago. I'm so excited (and I guess also for the wedding beforehand).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

I got my packet for Disneyland a few days ago. I'm so excited (and I guess also for the wedding beforehand).

Acceptable prioritization, unless the wedding beforehand is yours. If it is, the ranking is still okay if your fiancé(e) agrees with you.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
It is and, thankfully, she does.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Are you my wedding couple at Disneyland? I'm terrible at matching up usernames with real names.

If you are, then I'm glad you got your packet because I only had to call Disney 3 times to make sure they sent it to you and not to me.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So two things happened today

I successfully defended my PhD

And this came in the mail.

Its like Disney knew it was a big day for me and timed the shipping to make it that much more special :D

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought that said "and Fantas" at the end and thought it was really weird that they wanted to promote a soft drink there

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

couldcareless posted:

I thought that said "and Fantas" at the end and thought it was really weird that they wanted to promote a soft drink there

oh no! it *is* a bit worn down, huh? :[ oh well

probably not worth the effort of exchanging

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

RabbitMage posted:

I feel ya. Going to California in a couple days to visit family, really just using the trip as an excuse to go to Disneyland.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Are you my wedding couple at Disneyland? I'm terrible at matching up usernames with real names.

If you are, then I'm glad you got your packet because I only had to call Disney 3 times to make sure they sent it to you and not to me.

Yep, that's us! It was a few days delayed because we kept missing the UPS guy, but its here safe and sound. Thanks for the help, Braksgirl!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It was my pleasure! Have a fabulous wedding and honeymoon!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Going to MK to see Wishes tonight since this is the last week for that fireworks show.. the 11th will be the last evening for it. Funny thing they were testing the new fireworks show on Tuesday, at 1:30 AM.. people were going out of their skulls on the neighborhood forum it was comedy gold to see some of the posts only to have a few of us tell them "why the gently caress did you build a house 1/4 mile from a damned fireworks bunker?"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a teaser video for the new show going around and while the fireworks and new lazer stuff looks amazing, the music has me really hyped. It's hard to capture the magic of the Wishes song, but this is pretty drat great.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav..._source=twitter

Tinkerbell still flies

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 6, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/disney-surveying-epcot-guests-figment-may-impact-characters-future-park-overhaul/

Please don't go figgy :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The ride needs to go. But Figment as a character will probably always be around in one format or another. It's not like they will lock him in a vault just because of a survey.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:( I kinda like the ride now but it needs to be better.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zero One posted:

For those who may be in San Francisco there is a really cool Disney museum run by the Disney family (not the company).

http://twitter.com/ThemeParkReview/status/859422255784144896

This museum is really really cool. It's all about Walt Disney as opposed to the Disney company, so it's got a little bit of everything up until his death. It glosses over some of the less palatable parts of his life (his political activism in the 50s doesn't get a lot of attention paid to it, IIRC), but it does go into detail about the union fight at WDAS back int he day more than I would have thought, and doesn't color the union workers as selfish greedy assholes like a pro-Disney museum definitely could. It's got a lot of cool stuff that you might not see at other Disney museum efforts, especially on the animation side of things. And of course it's got lots of Disney magic everywhere. There's a theater in the building that plays movies/shorts every day. It might not be as exciting for younger kids, though, it's a little dry. It's like a really really big expansion of the Walt Disney exhibit in the Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Currently sitting in the Town Square Theatre waiting for my Keys to the Kingdom tour to begin!