Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What games do amnesia well?

Tales of the Abyss *coughs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Planescape Torment and...?

Amnesia the dark descent?

KOTOR1?

FF7?

Overlord?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Silent Hill 2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spoderman posted:

You have to protect your home village with your female childhood friend. Along the way you find a mysterious young woman with amnesia, whose past is shrouded in mystery.

Oh you were joking ok my bad sorry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was a trick question, amnesia is never a good literary device

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

It was a trick question, amnesia is never a good literary device

It was good in The Deadly Percheron, because that's the book that popularized it and it hadn't yet become a cliche

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

I haven't played a nintendo game in a few years but this is my favorite GIF.

Isn't this somebody's avatar?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jay Rust posted:

Ghost Trick

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Final Fantasy X

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ometeotl posted:

Ghost Trick
I was certain that there were examples that I just couldn't think of, and was waiting for someone else to chime in so I could go "Oh yeah, that game totally did that right!". So I'm doing that now, because you are totally correct.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

knights of the Old Republic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Final Fantasy 8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Final Fantasy 6.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These certainly are examples of amnesia in games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Final Fantasy 5.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pokémon RBY

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wish FF12 had given me amnesia so I would forget it existed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

These certainly are examples of amnesia in games
Yeah. Something like Ghost Trick actually uses and weaves the amnesia aspect of the MC into the narrative that is very clever and the story benefits by its inclusion. FF6 just happens to have a character with amnesia that could have been pretty easily handwaved away or otherwise changed and not needed it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

World of Final Fantasy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sorry I was just naming Final Fantasies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bioshock Infinite, what a twist.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How come they're all about retrograde amnesia? Where's my Memento-style game about anterograde amnesia???

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 4, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1

E: The Criterion thread in movies is full of poo poo on a lot of films that they swear are worth blind buying but inevitably wind up boring and pretentious

Friendly reminder that Godzilla is a criterion collection movie, and also really good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be more serious, even though I didn't overall care for the story, I thought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles did some very interesting things with the fog robbing people of their memory so they forget what they're even trying to do, and the world is kind of caught in this terrible existence where no one really has a past. Like at one point a character murders his father because he forgot why he was seeking him out or who he was and let rumors about his dad as a dangerous warrior shape his perception of his quest, so he eventually believed he was trying to stop him.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here are some games where the amnesia aspect is at least pretty okay:

Harvester

That's all I got.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Lurdiak posted:

Like at one point a character murders his father because he forgot why he was seeking him out or who he was and let rumors about his dad as a dangerous warrior shape his perception of his quest, so he eventually believed he was trying to stop him.

that sounds like a really cool plot point actually

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

To be more serious, even though I didn't overall care for the story, I thought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles did some very interesting things with the fog robbing people of their memory so they forget what they're even trying to do, and the world is kind of caught in this terrible existence where no one really has a past. Like at one point a character murders his father because he forgot why he was seeking him out or who he was and let rumors about his dad as a dangerous warrior shape his perception of his quest, so he eventually believed he was trying to stop him.

But the real question is, did all the heroes grow up in the same orphanage, though?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is a pretty good amnesia subplot in Nier: Automata

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium posted:

But the real question is, did all the heroes grow up in the same orphanage, though?

The player characters are all blank slates, which I guess makes sense with the setting, so probably not. It's more of a story about the world. I have no idea what the ending is because I didn't have the dongles to let you play with your friends and single player is kind of tedious in that game. I got to what I think the final dungeon was and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Amnesia plot lines... are so forgettable!! :xd:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

that sounds like a really cool plot point actually

Crystal Chronicles has some neat ideas buried under a bunch of dumb ones. You have a memories stat that goes up every time you see an event (lots of minor incidental story arcs) or finish a dungeon and the final battle involves weaponizing them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also the soundtrack is no joke one of the best I've ever heard

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wouldn't say the Deadly Premonition amnesia twist is particularly great, but it enables York to exist which is good.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Crystal Chronicles was the one where you had to, like, carry around a thing that made a safe zone from environmental damage or something, right? I remember playing a bunch of it solo and thinking, man, it would be great if there was someone else to do this for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tangents posted:

Crystal Chronicles was the one where you had to, like, carry around a thing that made a safe zone from environmental damage or something, right? I remember playing a bunch of it solo and thinking, man, it would be great if there was someone else to do this for me.

In single player you actually don't carry it at all, a moogle does it for you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Looper posted:

Friendly reminder that Godzilla is a criterion collection movie, and also really good
Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one. But some, like the Before Trilogy or the Dekalog, are absolutely cases of "I can kind of see why this is culturally/artistically deemed significant, but I am bored to tears watching this and know I'll never ever rewatch it."

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tangents posted:

You have a moogle friend who carries it for you on single player, otherwise the game would be unplayable

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I wouldn't say the Deadly Premonition amnesia twist is particularly great, but it enables York to exist which is good.

It's not really amnesia there. There is' more part repressed memories and part holding back information from the player. For most of it it's not clear how much of the plot is repressed and how much is simply not told to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one. But some, like the Before Trilogy or the Dekalog, are absolutely cases of "I can kind of see why this is culturally/artistically deemed significant, but I am bored to tears watching this and know I'll never ever rewatch it."

The Dekalog is fuckin' amazing

• Locked thread