Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Go buy some fertlizer from the flower shop in Shinjuku or the underground mall in Shibuya if you haven't unlocked Shinjuku yet and feed that plant in your room son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/04/persona-5-a-special-thank-you-from-atlus-to-the-fans/

Hashino gives a message after the first month of P5's international release. Don't read the first comment.

I love how happy he is that Persona 5's very Japanese setting and story were still well-received and understood in the West.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Harrow posted:

I love how happy he is that Persona 5's very Japanese setting and story were still well-received and understood in the West.

Adults are jerks is universal

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Dumb question, but what exactly does a melee weapon's Attack skill affect?

It is just normal melee attacks? Or does it include a Persona's physical attacks too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Dumb question, but what exactly does a melee weapon's Attack skill affect?

It is just normal melee attacks? Or does it include a Persona's physical attacks too?

Weapons have no effect on Persona skills unless they directly increase Strength or Magic. They just affect regular attacks and I think All-Out Attacks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm fairlh certain it's just your notmal attack, so upgrading your weapons is largely pointless unless the new ones have some kinda stat perk you really want.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm fairlh certain it's just your notmal attack, so upgrading your weapons is largely pointless unless the new ones have some kinda stat perk you really want.

Okay, that's what I figured. I'm only in the midgame (palace 4) and purchasable weapons are already getting really expensive, so I'll just manage with what I find in palaces/mementos.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Moltrey posted:

Go buy some fertlizer from the flower shop in Shinjuku or the underground mall in Shibuya if you haven't unlocked Shinjuku yet and feed that plant in your room son

Yeah, I am, but I need panic time slot actions for if I unlock Futaba without Kindness 4.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
All attacks have an attack power tied to them, which together with your [Strength/Magic] and the opponent's Endurance and relevant elemental affinity, decides how much damage it does. For skills, that attack power is a fixed number depending on the skill; for your normal melee attack, it's the attack power of your currently equipped weapon.

Or something like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do All-Out Attacks use weapon attack power? I read that they do but I never bothered to test it myself.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Another NG+ question - do you roll over with your summoned Personas intact, or do you have to re-summon them?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
One other dumb question. If you give a non-romance response to a Rank 9 S-link, you can still max them, right?

Makoto is my one true waifu, but I'm about to hit rank 9 with Ann.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Deified Data posted:

Another NG+ question - do you roll over with your summoned Personas intact, or do you have to re-summon them?

You gotta re-summon them. Your carry limit also drops back down to 6.

Compendium and money sticks around though, so it's not really a major inconvenience.

WhiteHowler posted:

One other dumb question. If you give a non-romance response to a Rank 9 S-link, you can still max them, right?

Yup.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hate mazes and some of the gimmicks of the later palaces are a pain. Although I love the level design but I hate being forced to deal with annoying tasks.

Joker becomes extremely wealthy after the 1st few months unless you're fusing everything for the Velvet room SL. Also, I messed up my scheduling on the PT so I have a bunch of low SL despite it being Nov :ohdear:

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Everyone thinks they are wealthy until they get Strength to 10 and are brought to their knees trying to get some of the badass higher level persona. I'm not really sure how people fused Yoshitsune, I tried to get just Michael fused for the Makoto gun and ran out of money with only 2/3 Angels summoned before I went to NG+

Well I guess I just assume they farmed a lot more money than me, I seemed to hover right around 600k the entire game and it seemed like plenty for the fortune teller so I didn't really even end up using the confuse bug much.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I didn't really get started on my fusion projects til I farmed a couple million in NG+. Now I've run out of cash and I'm on the final day and I'm about 25 levels from getting my Arsene up to level 99. :(

On the bright side, he's already probably my strongest Persona in terms of raw stats.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The confusion thing ain't a bug. One of them is hardcoded to only drop 1 Yen, so there's no way the devs somehow didn't know about it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scorps posted:

Everyone thinks they are wealthy until they get Strength to 10 and are brought to their knees trying to get some of the badass higher level persona. I'm not really sure how people fused Yoshitsune, I tried to get just Michael fused for the Makoto gun and ran out of money with only 2/3 Angels summoned before I went to NG+

Well I guess I just assume they farmed a lot more money than me, I seemed to hover right around 600k the entire game and it seemed like plenty for the fortune teller so I didn't really even end up using the confuse bug much.

Yup, this is where I'm at. I'm satisfied that I'm just gonna have to grind Reaper and confuse Mementos mini-bosses in NG+.

Strength rank 10 is a hell of a drug.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I was flat broke the entire game on my blind hard playthrough. I never unlocked Tora and didnt exploit confusion. Then in ng+ I extorted an apsaras for 12k with level 2 sun and lost my mind.

That's my persona story

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Makoto is my one true waifu, but I'm about to hit rank 9 with Ann.

Can you really claim victory if you don't have the maximum number of people waiting to beat you up on Valentines?
That's the real question.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

The confusion thing ain't a bug. One of them is hardcoded to only drop 1 Yen, so there's no way the devs somehow didn't know about it.

The biggest tell of that is the fact that it's still in the localised version all 10 years after it launched in Japan.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I don't see how it could be a bug to begin with, I mean your own party throws out money when confused. Or is it just the amount of money? They probably just have some modifier for it being a boss for money drops but didn't flag them as unconfusable like most bosses or something. I hardly even think it's a glitch or bug to begin with other than the fact that the bosses probably should run out of money after like 3 throws or something, I guess looking at it that way I can see it as unintended but it hardly breaks the game by the time you can do it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wouldn't mind if it got patched out at some point but hold-ups gave more money or something like that. Confusion money is boring as hell but way faster than any other method. Like if enemies were patched to run out of money after dropping yen a few times but there were other efficient ways to make money I'd be a bit happier.

But also I will gladly take advantage of Mementos money while it's here which is probably forever because if it ain't been patched out by now it never will be so make it rain

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DalaranJ posted:

Can you really claim victory if you don't have the maximum number of people waiting to beat you up on Valentines?

I think with this you either have to not cheat on anyone, or gun it and go full speed, non-stop. When one woman comes up to confront you it's awkward and sad, but if eight women do, it's hilarious

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Scorps posted:

I have approx 300k and I have no idea why ppl recc'd ranking Strength on their 1st PT :v:

I haven't even done any advanced fusions since I'm too low lvl at 52 other than Nekoshogun. Also, not all Memento bosses will get confused as I found out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scorps posted:

I don't see how it could be a bug to begin with, I mean your own party throws out money when confused. Or is it just the amount of money? They probably just have some modifier for it being a boss for money drops but didn't flag them as unconfusable like most bosses or something. I hardly even think it's a glitch or bug to begin with other than the fact that the bosses probably should run out of money after like 3 throws or something, I guess looking at it that way I can see it as unintended but it hardly breaks the game by the time you can do it.

If it is a bug (and it probably isn't), I'd say it's probably just that enemies never run out of money to drop so they can keep dropping it indefinitely. Your party members drop real money if they're confused and you can run out, but enemies have infinite money to drop.

Alder posted:

I have approx 300k and I have no idea why ppl recc'd ranking Strength on their 1st PT :v:

I haven't even done any advanced fusions since I'm too low lvl at 52 other than Nekoshogun. Also, not all Memento bosses will get confused as I found out.

Strength rank 10 lets you fuse Personas above your level as long as you can pay money for it, which is why you can burn through money real fast once you get that.

Also, there's a list of Mementos minibosses on the MegaTen wiki and there's a column that indicates whether or not they're vulnerable to Confuse.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

afaik the money you get from confusion (and maybe negotiation) is based off the enemies max hp and your luck stat
mementos bosses have miniboss/boss like HP (tho a lot of times not the End to match it)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is cognitive money, after all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They probably just didn't think that players would sit there and have the boss confused for an hour at a time. If you keep a boss locked down with confuse and kill them as you do it, you'll get a decent chunk of change but not that much.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Clocked the game last night at around 70 hours, I really did not expect to enjoy this game let alone any other JRPG ever but got proven wrong.

I think I might go for platinum for this one just because I love the game so much.

Also the OST for this game is amazing

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Re: Confusing non-Mementos bosses. I was running on fumes by the end of the first palace and had to beat the Keeper of Lust with everyone low on everything so I decided to go all or nothing and made Ann confuse him. Then he started dropping yens like crazy and died without ever hitting anyone in my party.

And that's how I learned you should try confusing all minibosses at least once!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

DalaranJ posted:

Players gently caress up too, Craig.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
sojiro gives you kindness plus you spend time with sojiro

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Zaou-Gongen why do you randomly have Cripple in your learnset, you don't even naturally get any gun moves. :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Zaou-Gongen why do you randomly have Cripple in your learnset, you don't even naturally get any gun moves. :psyduck:

He's one of the few Persona who can learn Cripple. It can't be a skill card. He's also in the right level region to make him great fodder for passing it onto something good without gallows cheesing it.
Cripple and Snipe combined with Riot Gun/One Shot Kill/Triple Down is nothing to sniff at so anything that helps you get Cripple to its ideal home is good stuff.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

sojiro gives you kindness plus you spend time with sojiro

I'm in the coffee zone with that guy. I'm not gonna get any kindness for awhile.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
thats a good place to be

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, I've been noticing Sojiro seems real stubborn about ranking up. Which sort of suits him, but I've got lockpicks to make dammit. I bought a couple gift items but never got a prompt to offer them, so I clearly misunderstood that mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sojiro takes a really long time to go from rank 3 to 4, then you can't reach rank 5 until after Futaba wakes up post-Palace. After that he ranks up really quickly, though you'll need max Kindness eventually.