Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'd be fine with Eddie and Susannah being cut entirely. They both suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Schwarzwald posted:

The major unifying theme (at least in the books) is one of decay, of things being worn down and falling apart.

The narrative reason that all these disparate elements (robot trains, lobster men, goblins, arthurian knights, cowboys, etc) are mixing together is that the boundaries that would have separated them are collapsing. The eponymous tower is (in some worlds, literally) a support beam that keeps each world from collapsing in on itself, and it's weakening.

Yeah and the central conceit is that the universe is like a big wheel, the closer you get to the center the faster time flows, so all the different worlds are just Earth at different periods. Which is why there were Doombots with light sabers throwing golden sneeches. There's also an existence of sorts outside the wheel but it's inimical to humans. As the wheel suffers entropy the barrier starts to breakdown to the point where it can pierced by accident like what happens in The Mist and a few of the vignettes from the Creepshow movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 4, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dark Tower is Dark Souls with guns. In other words, Bloodborne, complete with fog monsters, vampires and dangerous paraplegics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Is there a greater theme/idea that ties the whole Dark Tower series together? Because whenever anyone is discussing it, it sounds all over the place. And for such a weird story the trailer seems really... generic, I guess? It gives me the same vibes as something like The Last Witch Hunter, where it looks like some fairly rote fantasy/genre fiction ideas without much visual flair or distinctiveness tying it all together. Child, Narnia portal, some goblins, a cool man, a bad man, and a vaguely post-apocalyptic world. And you guys are talking about living trains and lobster men! That trailer could have used a lobster man.

I think this really sums up what struck me about this trailer. Like I said above, I'm completely fine with them doing something different from the books, but the sort of things they actually draw from the books here seem like the most surface-level stuff they could paper over a stock urban fantasy-action movie.

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't act like all three Narnia movies wouldn't have been better with guns.

Didn't one of those far-right Sad Puppy type authors a few years ago write some bonkers fantasy story about a guy who brings machine guns to some fantasy world where everyone is a pegasus, and they use the guns to launch a genocide of the other pegasus tribe, including stuff like him telling them to burn down the hospitals and kill kids? I could have sworn I saw this talked about here a few years ago and it's not the sort of thing you forget.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That was this lovely centaur book, which also includes a rant against global warming http://www.somethingawful.com/news/kindle-centaurs-review/1/

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Here is a helpful flowchart in understanding how The Dark Tower links with all of King's novels:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Here is a helpful flowchart in understanding how The Dark Tower links with all of King's novels:

I'm amazed there isn't some kind of overly-comprehensive Stephen King Wiki ala the Star Wars ones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably one of the most annoying thing King does in the series is spend years and years teasing connections and then in the last book Roland goes "eh, whatever" to the whole thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What I thought that ending was reserved for Game of Thrones

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought one of the most annoying things King's done over the last fifteen years is introduce writers that may or may not be named Stephen King that get hit by a loving van.

It's interesting that his drug and alcohol addiction yielded some of his best work, while getting hit by a loving van turned into "...and then the main character, who is a writer, gets hit by a loving van"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought one of the most annoying things King's done over the last fifteen years is introduce writers that may or may not be named Stephen King that get hit by a loving van.

It's interesting that his drug and alcohol addiction yielded some of his best work, while getting hit by a loving van turned into "...and then the main character, who is a writer, gets hit by a loving van"

To be fair, Misery came out before he was hit by the loving van.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I haven't read most of his recent stuff in that time, Buick '88 I can't remember any of but Revival I loved. Maybe not to the degree of It or The Stand, but really liked how it developed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kiimo posted:

I haven't read this book but hearing the crazy poo poo you all are talking about this may be the Dune of 2017 and it may be impossible to do the book justice in movie form.

they could've adapted the first book (which is the best one) and been fine.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Schwarzwald posted:

To be fair, Misery came out before he was hit by the loving van.

Everything makes so much more sense now...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Every fantasy epic would be better with guns.

Tom Clancy devoted himself to the idea that a fantasy world with no connection to the real one is far easier to navigate with a gun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Every fantasy epic would be better with guns.

Guns of Avalon is one of my favorite book titles (and is a pretty good book too).

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Except the Stephen King in Dark Tower is treated like a piece of poo poo by the characters and Roland slaps him into doing his goddamn job and finishing the books he should have finished years ago. So, you know, a bit of self-criticism there too.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guns of Avalon is one of my favorite book titles (and is a pretty good book too).

Except the Stephen King in Dark Tower is treated like a piece of poo poo by the characters and Roland slaps him into doing his goddamn job and finishing the books he should have finished years ago. So, you know, a bit of self-criticism there too.

That makes it even more incredibly eye-rolling.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Tom Clancy devoted himself to the idea that a fantasy world with no connection to the real one is far easier to navigate with a gun.

Not empty-quoting this

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Electromax posted:

I haven't read most of his recent stuff in that time, Buick '88 I can't remember any of but Revival I loved. Maybe not to the degree of It or The Stand, but really liked how it developed.

There was a lot of garbage in King's post-van work, but his post-retirement output has been pretty solid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hear the show was terrible, but I really liked the book Under the Dome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Len posted:

I need to get back to that series. I'm midway through book 4 but I find it hard to care about teenage Roland and his list for a farm girl.

I've been listening to a podcast called Radio Free Mid-World that is pretty entertaining if you want to go through a sort of humorous book club discussion/recap of the books. Each episode covers a chapter of a book and between books they discuss other King books that are tied into the Dark Tower series, it premiered last November and they just finished The Drawing of the Three.

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't act like all three Narnia movies wouldn't have been better with guns.

But how would a lion hold a gun.

And no Heidrigal, that was not an invitation for you to show us.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

kiimo posted:

What I thought that ending was reserved for Game of Thrones

I haven't been following things, does that have an ending now?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

:quagmire:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm okay with this.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
McConnaughey just stoned out of his gourd, totally in character 24/7

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 5, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't been following things, does that have an ending now?

Second to last season coming up. Imagine the last one is scripted at least.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

syscall girl posted:

Second to last season coming up. Imagine the last one is scripted at least.

Also note that the book series the tv show is based on still isn't anywhere near done.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The next book will be out by 2037,just in time to cash in on Game of Thrones nostalgia.
The final book in the series will be done when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 5, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I hear the show was terrible, but I really liked the book Under the Dome.

unfortunately it fell into the king trap of here's a really loving terrible ending after you just spent 1000 pages reading my book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Guy Mann posted:

But how would a lion hold a gun.

And no Heidrigal, that was not an invitation for you to show us.

*sadly puts link away*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Also note that the book series the tv show is based on still isn't anywhere near done.

Yeah I was refering to this sorry.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

McConnaughey just stoned out of his gourd, totally in character 24/7

The Man in Black smokes the Devil Grass

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Groovelord Neato posted:

unfortunately it fell into the king trap of here's a really loving terrible ending after you just spent 1000 pages reading my book.

God this. King could do a good job of ratcheting up the tension but he couldn't write an ending to get out of a wet paper bag. The book Desperation was a really good example of this where you had a game of cat and mouse between a scared bewildered group of survivors running away from a body snatching cosmic horror and in the end the survivors figure out that said entity's prime body is in a mine and one of the characters (I think the schlubby self insert author character, though my memory is hazy) up and decides to suicide bomb it. Surviving female lead and small child get in car and drive away. The End.

Honestly, I actually think his short stories work a lot better because the bigger novels he does always wind up collapsing under it's own weight in the end. Skeleton Crew had a lot of really good horror stories in it that don't wind up being really hamfisted by the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the King book that best delivers is Pet Sematary. Probably because the ending is pretty clearly telegraphed from the outset, but it lends the book this overwhelming sense of dread and inevitable doom.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I was refering to this sorry.

Martin told them the rough idea of how everything ends and they've gone ahead and done most of it (which confirmed a few fan theories). I wouldn't be surprised if Martin ends up changing things in the books to make the ending there different enough and if a lot of characters who died on the show don't die in the books (or die completely different ways) Weirdly a closes parallel is the Kick-rear end comics and movies which started with the same story and then diverged sharply due to the different media and what worked "better" in each one (better is in quotes because of sarcasm as most of those choices were dumb outside of casting Nic Cage) This also assumes Martin won't pull a Robert Jordan and die before his series is done, which gets more likely every day.

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 5, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DeathSandwich posted:

God this. King could do a good job of ratcheting up the tension but he couldn't write an ending to get out of a wet paper bag. The book Desperation was a really good example of this where you had a game of cat and mouse between a scared bewildered group of survivors running away from a body snatching cosmic horror and in the end the survivors figure out that said entity's prime body is in a mine and one of the characters (I think the schlubby self insert author character, though my memory is hazy) up and decides to suicide bomb it. Surviving female lead and small child get in car and drive away. The End.

Honestly, I actually think his short stories work a lot better because the bigger novels he does always wind up collapsing under it's own weight in the end. Skeleton Crew had a lot of really good horror stories in it that don't wind up being really hamfisted by the end.

Iirc Desperation was more like cthulhu crossed with Fallen. He blew up the mine because it's where the corrupting idols and such came from, but the monster was dying anyway since it burned out hosts too quickly

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

quote:

This also assumes Martin won't pull a Robert Jordan and die before his series is done, which gets more likely every day.

That is kinda why HBO insisted on GRRM telling the writers what his plans were, so they wouldn't get completely screwed if/when he keels over dead.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Did this get a movie where the cosmic horror is an alien that makes everyone super smart but causes their teeth to fall out? The main character resists and in order to sneak in pulls out his own teeth?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MH Knights posted:

Did this get a movie where the cosmic horror is an alien that makes everyone super smart but causes their teeth to fall out? The main character resists and in order to sneak in pulls out his own teeth?

No, that's the TommyKnockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MH Knights posted:

Not sure about the teeth pulling, that was a minor thing in 12 Monkeys, but there was a made for tv version of Invasion by Robin Cook. I read it ages ago and the main char does have to blend in with others for a bit, though I forgot the details

• Locked thread