Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Looper posted:

You have a moogle friend who carries it for you on single player, otherwise the game would be unplayable

Well, I guess my memory's garbage, because I distinctly remember being really limited. But it was a lot of years ago, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Final Fantasy X

This would be the answer except they also kind of resort to amnesia in the (even better) FFX-2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Dekalog is fuckin' amazing
I kind of liked the last chapter because it's a bit of a black comedy, but that's about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat F.E.A.R

it was a really good action fps that would be a lot better if they didn't decide to also make it a dead serious horror game except it's impossible to combine the two so you have just horror music stingers in action bits and an awkward divide where like 95% of the game is ridiculous action and 5% is just walking through spooky corridors while the game throws GHOSTS at you that you can kill in one hit so they're actually less scary than regular enemies

also it has maybe the stupidest ending i've seen in a game recently and this is not long after beating condemned 1, and in fact the entire plot is maybe the stupidest thing ever devised and the game would probably be better off without any of it especially considering how loving edgy fear 2 seems to get

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

F3AR

The twist to Fear 2 is you hosed the ghost and shes pregnant

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I've always appreciated about FEAR is that they don't stop you from trying to blow Alma away if you really want to. Sure, nothing happens except for a visual effect as your bullets become ghost bullets, but still. They could've had the protagonist lower his gun or refuse to shoot when the crosshair is on her or whatever but nope, they let you fire away. As well you probably should if you are suddenly confronted by some crazy poo poo.

edit: Also a little detail about that I recall is that Alma bleeds if you shoot her in the endgame because despite still being a spooky ghost girl, she's at least vulnerable now.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 4, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I wish FEAR had developed a proper modding scene. Woulda liked to play more campaigns in that engine.

Nate RFB posted:

Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one.
Yeah, Jean Reno was great in that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also there's a sequence in the first game (maybe the second game?) where Alma is slowly chasing you, and if you try to shoot her there she teleports ahead and catches up to you faster :haw:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Also there's a sequence in the first game (maybe the second game?) where Alma is slowly chasing you, and if you try to shoot her there she teleports ahead and catches up to you faster :haw:

Maybe one of the expansion packs? I can never remember which was the good one and which was the bad one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*spends ten minutes grinding out Saber skills in MM Zero* Ah, now I see what I was doing wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

*spends ten minutes grinding out Saber skills in MM Zero* Ah, now I see what I was doing wrong.

and now you see why mega man zero 3 and 4 are much better games than zero 1 and 2

Ostentatious posted:

F3AR

The twist to Fear 2 is you hosed the ghost and shes pregnant

isn't the ending of fear 2 literally you waking up and finding out she hosed you in your sleep

fear 2 is the classiest fps game plot ever written, clearly

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I will once I've finished 1 and 2.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Y/N on Flinthook/Sexy Brutale/Edith Finch/Everybody's Gone to Rapture (I already have this on PS+ but I never got around to it)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only one I've played of those is Rapture and I enjoyed it but everyone else in the PS4 thread hates it. I'm a sucker for those sort of melancholy stories though and since there's nothing else to it it depends entirely on how much you enjoy that and wether the slow walking pace annoys you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Y/N on Flinthook/Sexy Brutale/Edith Finch/Everybody's Gone to Rapture (I already have this on PS+ but I never got around to it)

Flinthook is rad but it is brutally hard. Not Gungeon level but still, if you don't like dying over and over again, avoid.

I really like Rapture but it is INSANELY slow for no good reason and requires a ton of patience to get anything out of it. If you don't think you'd enjoy glacially walking through a really nice british town occasionally uncovering a neat story, avoid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rapture does have a sprint button but for whatever reason it takes a very long time to accelerate to top speed and it still isn't very fast. It also takes place over a rather enormous area so it takes much longer to play than comparable games.

I thought Edith Finch was quite creative with the different scenarios it puts you in.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I have only heard people say sexy brutal is great

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the general word on flinthook i've heard is that the basic gameplay is fun and it looks great but it should not be a roguelike

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm reflexively hesitant to buy a game with "sexy" in its title but the GB quicklook was intriguing. It made it look like the entire game is Clock Town from Majora's Mask.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tfw you'll never own a copy of Sexy Parodius.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

How come they're all about retrograde amnesia? Where's my Memento-style game about anterograde amnesia???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9qLWD1EWRM

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

the general word on flinthook i've heard is that the basic gameplay is fun and it looks great but it should not be a roguelike

I own too many games that should not be a RL. i love ADOM a lot, its one of my favorite and definitely most played games and i love spelunkys take on blending genres of insane random pain and cute action but a lot of game devs just gently caress that up somehow and make their platformer unfun to play.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine Flinkhook NOT as a roguelike :shrug:

I mean, those elements are just sort of what the game is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I can't imagine Flinkhook NOT as a roguelike :shrug:

I mean, those elements are just sort of what the game is.

Its like darkwing duck but it feels good and also its a roguelike for no reason

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It takes nuclear throne level hype to get me to buy a roguelike anymore.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get it. People treat this game like it's the second coming of RPGesus...

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I bought Mega Man X on the eshop. That's not a regret, I just want to say it's interesting that the game throws you into the middle of things with so little in-game explaination. Hopefully my sticky L button won't be an issue for dashing. Also the level that ends with you first fighting vile is really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get it. People treat this game like it's the second coming of RPGesus...

It is a JRPG with solid writing, a creative combat system, high-quality music and a lot of subtle creativity that was effectively created by a single person. Even if you personally don't like it it isn't hard to understand why it got a good reception.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I bought Mega Man X on the eshop. That's not a regret, I just want to say it's interesting that the game throws you into the middle of things with so little in-game explaination. Hopefully my sticky L button won't be an issue for dashing. Also the level that ends with you first fighting vile is really cool.

MMX is a well-designed game except for the giant glaring design flaw that is putting a basic mechanic behind an unlockable in a stage you may not visit for a long time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These witcher bestiary entries should really be less sassy about getting the myths and creatures they appropriate wrong. It's like "unlike what stupid idiot morons think, basilisks can't turn people to stone". Hey guys, you're the ones getting it wrong... Maybe take it down a notch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember when galak-z could have been a really cool space ship/mech combat arcade game except the entire game was the same random level templates over and over again with roguelike elements that make no sense because it has a linear plot progression and every mission is just one of two different objectives and you could turn off the roguelike elements and just be left with an unfinished arcadey space combat game because the developers never actually finished it they just put the ending inside an endless arena mode because nobody could be assed to finish what was already in the game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 4, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

These witcher bestiary entries should really be less sassy about getting the myths and creatures they appropriate wrong. It's like "unlike what stupid idiot morons think, basilisks can't turn people to stone". Hey guys, you're the ones getting it wrong... Maybe take it down a notch.

But... mythological basilisks can't turn people into stone. The Basalisk's thing is that they kill people with their stare. They only turned people into stone in Harry Potter because a series of events kept making it see reflections of the person instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that's kind of the thing about Witchers. They're like.. fantasy park rangers, and mythology created by humans is born out of fear and ignorance.

edit: ^ that is also true.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At the beginning of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, your tutorial NPC tells you that vampires aren't actually allergic to garlic, and aren't actually repulsed by the cross! Those are just fairy tales, unlike this setting, which is about true-to-life vampires that suck blood and die to sunlight and silver

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

remember when galak-z could have been a really cool space ship/mech combat arcade game except the entire game was the same random level templates over and over again with roguelike elements that make no sense because it has a linear plot progression and every mission is just one of two different objectives and you could turn off the roguelike elements and just be left with an unfinished arcadey space combat game because the developers never actually finished it they just put the ending inside an endless arena mode because nobody could be assed to finish what was already in the game

What I remember about galak-z was a lot of awkward praise for it's artstyle while I'm left scratching my head at tweened newgrounds junk that I deleted from my PS4 approximately ten minutes after figuring out it was a roguelike.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

But... mythological basilisks can't turn people into stone. The Basalisk's thing is that they kill people with their stare. They only turned people into stone in Harry Potter because a series of events kept making it see reflections of the person instead.

Well they don't kill people with their stare either in this game so :shrug:. My point is that it's a pet peeve of mine when people who reinterpret mythical creatures or simply public domain ones are all like "That D&D/Bram Stoker/Lovecraft/Harry Potter poo poo is dumb, this is the REAL THING". It's like... there is no real thing, don't be a bellend.

Jay Rust posted:

At the beginning of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, your tutorial NPC tells you that vampires aren't actually allergic to garlic, and aren't actually repulsed by the cross! Those are just fairy tales, unlike this setting, which is about true-to-life vampires that suck blood and die to sunlight and silver

Yeah exactly. This is the kinda poo poo I'm talking about.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one. But some, like the Before Trilogy or the Dekalog, are absolutely cases of "I can kind of see why this is culturally/artistically deemed significant, but I am bored to tears watching this and know I'll never ever rewatch it."

Okay I'm extremely envious of your movie collection!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's in universe and is supposed to be tongue in cheek. It's a bizarre thing to get worked up over.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

What I remember about galak-z was a lot of awkward praise for it's artstyle while I'm left scratching my head at tweened newgrounds junk that I deleted from my PS4 approximately ten minutes after figuring out it was a roguelike.

there was praise for its art style??? i didn't wanna dump on it because they probably just didn't have the resources for a style that actually mimics old 80s sci-fi mecha anime, but lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well they don't kill people with their stare either in this game so :shrug:. My point is that it's a pet peeve of mine when people who reinterpret mythical creatures or simply public domain ones are all like "That D&D/Bram Stoker/Lovecraft/Harry Potter poo poo is dumb, this is the REAL THING". It's like... there is no real thing, don't be a bellend.

Get mad at Dandelion, who probably wrote all of those and is also kind of a bellend.

The Witcher series in general does a better job of staying true to these mythological/folkloric creatures than most fantasy universes so I feel like maybe you're mad at the wrong game here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

I mean that's kind of the thing about Witchers. They're like.. fantasy park rangers, and mythology created by humans is born out of fear and ignorance.

edit: ^ that is also true.

What this guy said. The point isn't that "fantasy creatures can't do things because this is A REALISTIC world full of REALISM!" it's "joe shitfarmer made up a story about how a basilisk once turned his grandmother into a giant turnip and now everyone except witchers believe they can do that because they're all dumbfucks"

• Locked thread