Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drat, that's good

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
So I am attending a presentation tomorrow on ephemeral desert streams. I'm going to be awfully distracted. Also, I really liked 'freedom and Security' as well, it is not as bombastic, but it is great "Something big is coming up" music.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When Shido's final phase showed up, that's exactly what I was thinking

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Harrow posted:

Before someone comes in here claiming Joker's parents kicked him out and don't care about him:

The reason he had to go to Tokyo was because of schools not letting him in, not his parents not wanting him. Joker needed to go to school and Shujin was the best option that would accept him while he's on probation, so he had to go to Tokyo for that. His parents didn't callously cast him out or anything like that. It was either go to Tokyo or miss school, and I'm betting his probation required him to attend school.

Sure, his parents never call or write on-screen, but neither did Yu's parents in Persona 4, and I don't think we were supposed to assume they were horrible monsters who hated their son. They're just not important to the story so we don't really see them calling or anything like that.

I read somewhere else that at one point, Sojiro implies that part of the reason Joker's parents sent him off to Tokyo is because they're in the middle of getting a divorce and they didn't want to have to deal with their son being expelled and having a criminal record on top of that.

But I never saw anything in the game to support that beyond Sojiro telling Joker at the very beginning that they kicked him out because he was a pain in the rear end, so I'm pretty sure whoever came up with that theory was full of poo poo.

The thing that really baffles me about the plot is... why the hell was Shido out in whatever country town Joker's originally from to begin with? Did they ever offer an explanation for that?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'd guess he was campaigning and trying to garner as much support as he could.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I thought final Shido form looked more like a Dragon Ball guy than Armstrong, personally.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I was waiting for Shido to give a long-winded speech on why you dumb kids just don't "Get It" and try to pummel some sense into you by using Cognitive Psience.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ajkalan posted:

I thought final Shido form looked more like a Dragon Ball guy than Armstrong, personally.

theyre the same

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ajkalan posted:

Mainline Dragon Ball bad guys usually look super sleek and and refined in their final forms! What you mean is he looks like Broly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also this game prompted me to do a little research on the Japanese prison system and loving yikes, its like the worst of America with an extra bundle of sticks up its butt

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Sae successfully protecting you in court has got to be the least realistic part of the game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Original post here.

Would have posted them on the main thread but Shido's in there. I honestly can't decide which is my favourite.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Original post here.

Would have posted them on the main thread but Shido's in there. I honestly can't decide which is my favourite.

Makoto's is clearly best.

or Hifumi's.

or Iwai's....

gently caress this is hard. :negative:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Original post here.

I'm a fan of "don't speak to me or my cat ever again", and Ann with her semi auto.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

The sixth palace exists and that's the theme that stuck with you?

I love that one too! That's the best palace theme definitely. For some reason Freedom and Security just works so well for me specifically as a final dungeon theme that I really love it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

The thing that really baffles me about the plot is... why the hell was Shido out in whatever country town Joker's originally from to begin with? Did they ever offer an explanation for that?
It seemed like a fairly built up town in the flashback, certainly way bigger than Inaba; there were lights in the background that looked like they were coming from mid-size tower blocks. If it's actually a small city then there's any number of reasons an upcoming politician might have gone there to hang outbully a woman into embezzlement.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh god I thought Yusuke's was goatse

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Campaigning probably. I'd guess that Joker's hometown isn't actually all that far from Tokyo, given that sending him to Shujin was the most practical thing to do.

tap my mountain posted:

Sae successfully protecting you in court has got to be the least realistic part of the game

It helps that the other Phantom Thieves tracked down the woman Shido assaulted and got her to testify on Joker's behalf.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Original post here.

I want to make the Joker and Morgana one my avatar

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Do it! I want to go for the Sojiro one myself.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

only treasures continue to exist outside of the metaverse.

My inventory says otherwise. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I was waiting for Shido to give a long-winded speech on why you dumb kids just don't "Get It" and try to pummel some sense into you by using Cognitive Psience.

He played volleyball in college you know. Could've gone pro.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Harrow posted:

It is 180x180 for avatars, right?

A Bug fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Original post here.

I would want the Makoto one for an avatar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/codexrau/status/860216633180270594

A Bug posted:

Hell yeah it is! Thanks!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 5, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

I hope they just go straight for the mental shutdown and not give a poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They won't have a choice. There's no heart to change.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

A Bug posted:

Thanks man!

Now what would be a good Sojiro quote...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Thanks man!

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Thanks man!

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

W.T. Fits posted:

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

LET ME EXPLAIN

:doh: Of course

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Makato's terrible stealth skills are one of the best things to ever be in a Persona game.

I'm not sure who on the dev team decided "Okay, now at this point in the game Makato decides to spy on you and she does so by following juuuuuust behind the player character and holding a book over her face, both at school and downtown in the middle of the street" but that person is a genius.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Makato's terrible stealth skills are one of the best things to ever be in a Persona game.

I'm not sure who on the dev team decided "Okay, now at this point in the game Makato decides to spy on you and she does so by following juuuuuust behind the player character and holding a book over her face, both at school and downtown in the middle of the street" but that person is a genius.

That was the moment I (and I'm sure lots of other players) decided Makoto was the best.

Though really the whole cast is pretty fantastic this time. I was just pleasantly surprised to see Makoto be so endearing right off the bat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's just such a surprise as well. You are going about your business in your first run of the game and suddenly you see her sneaking up behind you book and potentially umbrella in hand and it is a hilariously adorable moment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Makoto is great but I'd honestly be afraid of ever crossing her considering how much rage is in her fighting style.

My main black mark on the cast is Haru. She's a nice enough character but honestly doesn't fit very well in the cast, kind of like Fuuka.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A lot of people have said this, but I think Haru would've fit in a lot better if she'd been introduced earlier. I like her a lot--I think she's amusing and endearing and has the potential to have a great character arc--but she just doesn't have nearly enough time to really integrate with the story or the rest of the cast.

It doesn't help that her skill set is basically just "stuff we couldn't fit in anyone else's skill set." She's really useful anyway, but I don't feel like there's a ton of coherence to it, or that guns and :catdrugs: psychic attacks really fit her or her Persona all that well.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
My least favorite is Ann, but that's because she just kind of exists after Makoto joins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good setup besides the invisible persona for the Twins? Also what the latest you can fight them before they fuse together in NG+?

• Locked thread