Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It doesn't matter if "TDI saved Taro Yoko's career" isn't technically correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Anyone who can't empathize with robots clearly hasn't played Fall of Cybertron

METROPLEX HEEDS THE CALL OF THE LAST PRIME

R.I.P. Metroplex :(

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

When did you start drinking...?

Drakengard

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
If you aren't following Yoko Taro on twitter, you [i]really[/i should be.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/859578804108263425

(Someone messaged Taro and said it was their friends birthday, and that their friend is a huge fan of NieR)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The nicest Dark Lord :3:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The nicest Dark Lord :3:

Makes it easier to get you to lower your guard.

Thanks to the meme I've been hearing "STOP! ...Drakengard! *music*" to the tune of MC Hammer's Can't Touch This all day. Not sure that was the intention of the image but congratulations anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like the dark stuff in DrakeNier works all the better with the revelation that Taro himself appears to be an incredibly nice, if cynical, person.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hasn't he been on record saying he doesn't necessarily agree with the morals about poo poo in his games?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've finished all the main routes of this game. Started reading this.

Oh. My. God. I completely missed the jukebox.

Also there is ONE other NPC that does the chip fusing stuff besides the vendor in the camp and the bunker tech, but it's in a completely optional location and much later in the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like the dark stuff in DrakeNier works all the better with the revelation that Taro himself appears to be an incredibly nice, if cynical, person.

The thing that really sets his games apart from standard edgelord schlock is the genuine attempt at humanizing the characters and exploring how this horrible poo poo could happen. I mean, the original Nier was just oozing with pathos all over, I don't think there was a single unsympathetic character in the game, barring maybe a few comic relief NPCs who bossed around Papa Nier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yoko Taro has a knack for writing characters who are terrible people yet still weirdly human.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

CryingAthena posted:

Makes it easier to get you to lower your guard.

Thanks to the meme I've been hearing "STOP! ...Drakengard! *music*" to the tune of MC Hammer's Can't Touch This all day. Not sure that was the intention of the image but congratulations anyway.

Speaking of music, this

made me want to hear this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRU6GnETSN4

but with added "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

On a side note, one of my favorite things about the original Drakengard was that the more morally dubious the missions got, the more the mission objectives started being written like war propaganda. It was just a brilliant way of making the player feel that much more uncomfortable.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Augus posted:

On a side note, one of my favorite things about the original Drakengard was that the more morally dubious the missions got, the more the mission objectives started being written like war propaganda. It was just a brilliant way of making the player feel that much more uncomfortable.

I'm not sure a game has ever shouted "DO NOT PLAY ME" as loudly as Drakengard did on all cylinders, for both good and bad reasons.

The gameplay's a poor man's Dynasty Warriors, you run with a morally heinous crowd doing morally heinous things all the time, fighting an enemy that's barely more malicious than you, and even the last ending is an utter nightmare to play, and you get nothing but more death in return.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

CesspoolofHatred posted:

Speaking of music, this

-Image Removed For Spacesaving Reasons-

made me want to hear this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRU6GnETSN4

but with added "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE"

Ah, it's been a while since I listened to the Undertale soundtrack....

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I finally caved and bought this game. I haven't played a game with a controller since the PS2 era, but I guess that's the best way to play this, so I borrowed my fiancee's X360 controller and settled in for some French maid craziness.

I got as far as the first stage of the Engels fight, then died to the two buzzsaws because I am bad at games.

Now I have to start from the beginning because gently caress save points!

10/10 would be trolled by Taro Yoko again

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

EggsAisle posted:

I finally caved and bought this game. I haven't played a game with a controller since the PS2 era, but I guess that's the best way to play this, so I borrowed my fiancee's X360 controller and settled in for some French maid craziness.

I got as far as the first stage of the Engels fight, then died to the two buzzsaws because I am bad at games.

The game warned you

Also what mode did you play on

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

CesspoolofHatred posted:

The game warned you

Also what mode did you play on

I know, I'd been reading the LP. There was just nothing I could do about it because it was still the prologue. Kinda annoying to go through the whole thing again, but eh, I'll live. I was playing on Normal, thinking of putting it to Easy until I get used to a controller again.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

EggsAisle posted:

If it makes you feel better I did the exact same thing. On Normal.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

As opposed to NieR, where you play mostly-okay folks who plainly gently caress up despite pursuing right by their conscience, Drakengard is the series where you play indefensibly horrible people. In that respect, Drakengard 2 (which Yoko hosed off for) only fits because the characters, stock anime protagonists all, are insufferable no matter how you spin it.

Yoko ironed out his edgelord tendencies in Drakengard 1. Drakengard 3 was the best possible development. Bring us the terrible people as long as they're also goddamn hilarious.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I still feel Kainé is Taro's most brilliant character because her development is like a zig zag of "oh she's a horrible person", "aww she's sympathetic after all", "oh wait she actually is kinda horrible" and so on but it's not erratic and just becomes layered and complex in an enjoyable way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually making characters who aren't flatly good or bad people is like the rudimentary part of being a human being and the amount of writers who get that bit wrong is staggering.

Even history's biggest tyrants and pieces of poo poo had aspects to them where if you only knew those specific things about them, you'd think they were decent folk.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Actually making characters who aren't flatly good or bad people is like the rudimentary part of being a human being and the amount of writers who get that bit wrong is staggering.

Even history's biggest tyrants and pieces of poo poo had aspects to them where if you only knew those specific things about them, you'd think they were decent folk.

Such as how Hitler was a vegetarian (at least, I think he was a vegetarian) who liked dogs. If that's all you knew about him, he'd sound like a reasonable guy. Unless you hate vegetarians or dogs I guess.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

However Emil is an exception. He's all out a Good Boy™

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nina posted:

However Emil is an exception. He's all out a Good Boy™

To be fair, the only ones who would disagree were the people of the Aerie, but no such place exists so it doesn't matter. If you kill everyone who doesn't like you, you become a good person! That's math.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Screaming Idiot posted:

To be fair, the only ones who would disagree were the people of the Aerie, but no such place exists so it doesn't matter. If you kill everyone who doesn't like you, you become a good person! That's math.

You've just canonized Caim, you realize, by this logic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Loving your job means never having to work a day in your life." - Caim

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alternative joke:

"..." - Caim

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

"..." - Caim

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Screaming Idiot posted:

To be even fairer, they only disliked Emil very very briefly.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey Emil felt real bad about that one! I don't though

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Emil did nothing wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It was real all along

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It was real all along

It's not real until I see drifting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Apparently 9S and 2B's English voice actors did multiple streams where they played through the game. It might be a nice companion watch to the thread, as long as you don't go too far.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gologle posted:

Apparently 9S and 2B's English voice actors did multiple streams where they played through the game. It might be a nice companion watch to the thread, as long as you don't go too far.

Those streams are quite fun, actually. But I wouldn't advice you to watch them if you really really hate spoilers. Presumably they're doing some side quest in a different order than Id so I guess you'd see some stuff earlier. I could post a link to the twitch channel. But only if Id doesn't mind the slight derail.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Qrr posted:

It's not real until I see drifting.

You know, I was saving this for later but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN9bjPcPZDA

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 4, 2017

CosmicEternity
Feb 23, 2016

Where there's a will, there's a high likelihood of failure.

really queer Christmas posted:

Emil did nothing wrong.

Being Emil is suffering

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.
Just popping in to say I couldn't handle the suspense waiting for updates, so I bought a steam controller and the game. This is the first time I've played a game with a controller in 3 years, and I completed it in 3 days of straight playing. I regret absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Starship Arcadia posted:

Just popping in to say I couldn't handle the suspense waiting for updates, so I bought a steam controller and the game. This is the first time I've played a game with a controller in 3 years, and I completed it in 3 days of straight playing. I regret absolutely nothing.

Give it a few more days.

• Locked thread