Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Why do they care about the tax rate when big corporations find ways to pay no loving tax anyway. Is it a smokescreen so that the public thinks they do pay tax?

Bogan King posted:

Absolutely digging the fact that Trump has blown off Towelcum again

Between this and their last interaction it really makes your appreciate how insignificant our PM is.

Quoting for new page.

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Listen to that laugh. Bernie would have won.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Dude McAwesome posted:

Why do they care about the tax rate when big corporations find ways to pay no loving tax anyway. Is it a smokescreen so that the public thinks they do pay tax?

Save money on accountants?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha I said what because I thought it might have been some piss take, but he literally said it. Nice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dude McAwesome posted:

Some do, some don't. Wesfarmers pays close to 1B in corporate tax each year and you can bet they'd like to lower that if they could.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some do, some don't. Wesfarmers pays close to 1B in corporate tax each year and you can bet they'd like to lower that if they could.

Is that due to the fact they don't have another country to shift profits to? Eg. They're an Australian company.

I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious because I thought a company of that size would be employing all sorts of fuckery to minimise tax.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Is that due to the fact they don't have another country to shift profits to? Eg. They're an Australian company.

I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious because I thought a company of that size would be employing all sorts of fuckery to minimise tax.

Well it's on like 65b of revenue and they book like 3-4b of after tax profit so they aren't that bad at it. Remember as well due to dividend imputation, which virtually no other country has, the tax they have paid gives a credit to investors for their personal income rates.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/860329917245870080

:munch:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
It's not like there are going to be any consequences whatsoever for him, so is there even any point publicly outing him as a lying fuckweasel?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

aejix posted:

It's not like there are going to be any consequences whatsoever for him, so is there even any point publicly outing him as a lying fuckweasel?

It's something to hammer him with next election. And if enough sources call for Dutton to resign, that tends to stick around in the public memory.

Go get 'em Barrie

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

Well it's on like 65b of revenue and they book like 3-4b of after tax profit so they aren't that bad at it. Remember as well due to dividend imputation, which virtually no other country has, the tax they have paid gives a credit to investors for their personal income rates.

Thanks for the info :) I'll have a read up into dividend imputation to educate myself!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's something to hammer him with next election. And if enough sources call for Dutton to resign, that tends to stick around in the public memory.

It's mostly the keeping it Fresh In Our Memories™ that this is good for. He won't suffer directly for it now but it's a cannon to fire at him come election time. This hinges greatly on the ALP not being sacks of poo poo though so it really means nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah Dutton's seat isn't remotely safe.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Has anyone asked him about it in Parliament? Because they really should if they want to gently caress him over.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

From the SMH someone dumped elsewhere, not linking to them while they strike posted:

Independent Northern Territory politician Gerry Wood has blamed abortions for the loss of millions of dollars in GST revenue due to glacial population growth.

The Territory's GST share has been slashed by $269 million next financial year, which the Labor government projects will blow out to $2 billion over four years.

Now that is a spicy take.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He forgot the bloody gays.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Has anyone asked him about it in Parliament? Because they really should if they want to gently caress him over.
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Sitting_Calendar/2017_Sitting_Calendar

Hasn't been an opportunity. Incident was Good Friday and next sitting is the budget 9-11 May.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
loving bludgers.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Guardian posted:

Australia’s grand mufti has won a defamation case over News Corp articles depicting him as an “unwise” monkey and asserting he had failed to condemn the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris. News Corp consented to the judgment as part of a confidential settlement.

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph newspaper published two stories highly critical of the response of the grand mufti, Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, to the co-ordinated terrorist attacks that killed 130 people in November 2015.

One depicted him as three “unwise” monkeys, covering his ears, eyes and mouth, next to the words “Sees no problems, hears no concerns, speaks no English”.

The second article was headlined: “Even Hamas condemn the Paris attacks so why won’t Australia’s Grand Mufti Ibrahim Abu Mohammed?”.

Analysis Five things Australia's grand mufti may or may not have said about the Paris attacks
Some in the media have decried the response of Ibrahim Abu Mohamed to the Paris attacks. Here is what he said, what he didn’t say and what they said that meant
Read more
Mohamed, Australia’s most senior Sunni scholar, sued News Corp for defamation early last year, and verdicts were entered by agreement with News Corp in his favour in the NSW supreme court on Friday. The terms of the settlement were confidential.

Mohamed had alleged the articles wrongly implied he had failed to condemn the terrorist attacks and shifted blame away from the perpetrators.

He had issued a statement days before the defamatory articles, which mourned the loss of innocent lives in Paris and expressed his deepest condolences to families and friends of the victims.

The statement canvassed “causative factors” of terrorism, including racism, Islamophobia, curtailing freedoms, foreign policies and military intervention.

Mohamed had earlier posted a Facebook statement about the Paris attacks and a bombing in Beirut, which said: “There are no words to truly describe the devastation of these acts but we will continue in solidarity and pray for peace.”

He had previously condemned all forms of terrorism, including on Facebook, in interviews with the ABC and in other formal statements.

His statement of claim alleged he had been brought into hatred, ridicule and contempt, and was gravely injured in his character and reputation.

News Corp had previously defended the claim, arguing that the imputations of the articles were substantially true. It also argued that some of the defamatory imputations were an expression of honest opinion.

But when the matter returned to the NSW supreme court on Friday morning, Justice Lucy McCallum was told the matter had been settled.

The Australian National Imams Council released a statement welcoming the outcome.

“The grand mufti ... holds the highest religious post for an Islamic scholar in Australia. He has dedicated his life to the pursuit of knowledge, justice, and peace, and is proud to continue to represent the religious views of the vast majority of Australian Muslims,” the statement said.

“It is hoped that the outcome of the proceedings is the first step towards improved harmony between Australian Muslims and the media in the future,” the statement said.

The mufti, who was in court on Friday, declined to comment further.

News Corp has been contacted for comment.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Eh nothing will happen, the Liberals will get their mates in the Murdoch media to paint Barrie as a fringe crazy leftie and Dutton will continue on traumatising and harming people in detention camps

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And if he starts up with "secret information" they should just turn to Turnbull and ask him.

Get both fuckers lying to parliament. Even in the (most likely) event that you can't get them censured, you can still turn it into an attack ad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Dowry Abuse Is The Domestic Violence Crisis You've Never Heard Of

In 2014 *Kiara arrived in Australia to enter into an arranged marriage with Jai*, an Indian national and Australian citizen.

Her family in India paid some of Kiara's dowry (a dowry is cash or something of monetary value given to a husband by a bride or her family before a marriage) and covered the costs associated with the visa application, all to the tune of around AUD$6,000.

Once Kiara, then 24, arrived in Australia her new husband demanded 5,000,000 rupees (around AUD$100,000) because he said the initial payment was too small.

Kiara refused, knowing her parents had no more to give but said if she could earn an income she could add more to her dowry.

The couple lived in Sydney's west where she got a casual job working as a waitress at a restaurant.

She says her husband thought it was disrespectful that she should "serve other men" so Kiara left the job and applied for a job at a factory.

But then Jai told her she couldn't leave the house and he would bring men home where she would work as a prostitute until she had personally paid for the dowry.

This is when Kiara made contact with the Indian (Subcontinent) Crisis and Support Agency which assists migrant women suffering dowry abuse.

"She was one of the rare ones who had actually held a job in India, so I said 'you're going to this interview at this factory because you need income so you can get out of this'," the agency's project leader Kittu Randhawa told BuzzFeed News.

"At the point that [Jai] brought men home, [Kiara] left."

The agency is helping Kiara establish her economic independence while she waits to find out if she can get residency in Australia.

"While Kiara is working full time, rents her own unit and has purchased a car, her visa has been refused and the department of immigration and border protection do not believe her relationship to be a genuine one," Randhawa said.

She also alleged: "Her husband, on the other hand, has been seen on matrimonial sites posing as a single man looking for a bride to come to Australia with impunity. They are not divorced yet.

"If Kiara returns to India, she will endure shame and disrespect for being a ‘left woman’, as will her family. Any future relationship will be tainted by her being a divorcee. None of these issues will impact her husband."

And Kiara is not alone.

When Jagdish Singh was charged with the murder of his wife Harjit Kaur at their Glenwood home in Sydney's west in March, the agency was flooded with calls, Randhawa said.

"I had 62 phone call inquiries in the 10 days after that incident," she said.

"On a regular week, I'll get about five calls from women needing assistance and dowry will be a factor in about 70% of those cases."

In the last year, the agency had assisted 120 women who had "complex problems involving migration and dowry", she said.

"Five of them have received their residency, six have had to return to India or were duped by their husbands to take a trip and then their visa sponsorship was withdrawn so they couldn't return.

"Most are in some process of trying to stay in Australia via domestic violence provisions in the law."

Dowry is not just an exchange of gifts.

It is a fundamental part of marriage agreements that can be cash, assets or visas and demands for further dowry can continue for years after the marriage, Randhawa said. It is illegal in India.

"When we talk about dowry abuse we're not talking about some Bollywood movie situation where the mother-in-law beats the daughter within an inch of her life unless the father pays up," she said.

"For some young girls who come from poor families, who cannot fund any further education, marriage is considered the only option.

"A chance to escape the poverty trap by marrying a man overseas is a tempting opportunity for the family.

"People are subtly making a lot of money through marriage in this country."

Randhawa believes current immigration processes enable domestic violence and financial abuse to run rampant.

"These women get married and come over here, but because the immigration process for a partner visa takes up to 12 months they are put on a visitor visa with no entitlements, medical stuff or ability to work.

"These women can't even buy their own sanitary pads without telling their husbands."

In violent situations women felt trapped in the situation because they had no financial independence, she said.

"Police will tell them 'if you're in danger, leave' but the reality is they have no source of income so I've had three girls turn to prostitution because they've left the situation and found themselves homeless."

In 2014, the agency sent a discussion paper to attorney-general George Brandis and Labor MP Ed Husic and made little headway, Randhawa said, but the agency has since had support from Western Sydney Greens candidate Chris Winslow and Anti-Slavery Australia director Dr Jennifer Burns who introduced it at a recent parliamentary enquiry.

The agency has also appealed to state politicians like the minister for women, Tanya Davies, to look into addressing the issues of abuse in multicultural marriages in relation to dowry.

*Kiara and Jai's names have been changed to protect their identity.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/dowry-abuse-is-the-domestic-violence-crisis-youve-never?utm_term=.lwqOol25b#.vnRPrB9ZM

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:stare: gently caress

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/BCAcomau/status/860181630245249024

what in the actual gently caress

e: oh god
https://twitter.com/BCAcomau/status/857497080876736512

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 5, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't think that's the right message to take from that movie.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Absolutely digging the fact that Trump has blown off Towelcum again

Turns out the party for possibly maybe destroying the ACA is more important than meeting Cuckballs. Maybe we should have suggested a Trump tower opening up in Sydney.

I like how every time Trump interacts with Trumbull he's always making sure that Malcolm remembers he's a beta.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This'll be a day long remembered for President Trumble

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the business council now officially identifying as alt-right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Not until they intimate that not cutting the corporate tax rate is exactly like wanting your partner to gently caress a black man. So basically wait 10 minutes.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So Trump drinks jobs-investments-wages from Australia and it gets into America... how? I can only imagine one way. Think about your metaphors, hack cartoonists.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

It's a strange world when Buzzfeed turns out to be one of the best sources of serious Australian news. The Is it On? Podcast is good as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone has to help fill the void once Fairfax finally goes under

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Someone has to help fill the void once Fairfax finally goes under

poo poo at this point it's not entirely unreasonable to get your news from a dumb dying internet comedy forum because it's more reliable than buying a budgie cage liner propaganda paper.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

This metaphor is a catastrophe.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

It's typical of suit-wearing professionals to neglect to credit an illustrator, but in this case the cartoons are even unsigned, so I wonder if the cartoonist expressed a preference to remain anonymous...? Distinctive style, though.

I'm guessing the contents of the cartoons were dictated to them in specific detail, too.

What's the angle here, do you think? They noticed that political cartoons (especially left-leaning ones) are getting passed around social media more and more lately and thought, "Is that what the humans are into now? Let's get in on it"? Like counter-propaganda I guess? Or... counter-satire? I dunno; this is weird and new. I guess they think that political cartoons get passed around just because people like the funny faces and not because of the messages, and that they're the only ones who've realised, "Hang on, there's MESSAGES in these, how SNEAKY but hmmm, we could use this!" Or... or something. God knows how these people think.

Does anyone recognise the artist's style? I could be wrong but it smells of a book illustration background to me, not a cartooning background. (There's a lot of overlap of course.)

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Also it's kind of weird the way Australia is floating on the ocean but also Trump is coming up from beneath it so that WA overlaps his left arm. (Again, I would not be surprised if even this was specifically dictated by the illustrator's client. These cartoons are a mess, but they reek of being thought up by a businessman -- possibly several -- and all the nonsensical and contradictory details being typed up and emailed to an illustrator happy for the paycheque; too experienced and not invested enough to fruitlessly bother trying to explain that the end result will be poo poo. They have that vibe. I could be wrong, of course, but I know whereof I speak.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It does look like the work of someone more used to depicting Clive Palmer than Donald Trump :v: I think you're right Parma but its more a sell to their base that they're "culture jamming" those lefty idioms. They probably think they're hilarious and don't understand the response at all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In the interests of review and comment, I'm going to excerpt a bit of John Safran's new book Depends What You Mean By Extremist. A little setup is required: firstly, Neil Erikson suggested to Safran that they form a mock rap group called Jews With Attitude, givng Safran the moniker of Ice Berg and how this was going to totally upset lefties and actually went ahead and made a picture of himself, Blair Cottrell and Safran and flogged it on Facebook for the lulz. Safran also reported on a Golden Dawn rally in which Unionists beat up a pub of fascists including an old Greek guy. So those references explained, here is a quote from a section called Mrs Sneer and Mr Snort:

John Safran posted:

There are more hot anarchists than I expected here. Don't get me wrong, there are also flabby radicals who wouldn't be able to throw a Molotov cocktail without breaking into a wheeze, but still. The Melbourne Anarchist Club, a converted shopfront along a busy road, has thrown open its doors, inviting the community to show solidarity with them. It's a response to the UPF recently rolling up to the cluband thugging around.

'So I hear you're starting up a rap group?'a woman snaps as I walk in. It's the day after Neil announced his plans for JWA. She's leaningagainst a bookshelf, flags from different struggles draping from the wall. 'I was going to ring up andvte for you to be part of the boy band.'

'Ha-ha'I say. She doesn't join in with my ha-ha.

'What's your role in all of this?' a young man asks. He's sitting inan armchair. 'Are you part of building an anti-racist movement or are you just about books and selling and career and profile?'

'I don't think it's good for my career and profile that I'm seen to be in a rap bandwith the UPF, you know?

'It's quirky,' the woman sneers.'It's, you know, whatever.'

I explain that to write stories, I hang out with all sorts of people from all sides.

'They are arseholes!' she says. 'They are using you and your profile to try and humanise themselves!'

'You think there's no use in a writer--'

'Making them just seem like funny Aussie blokes?'

'Maybe it's helpful for people to know that dangerous people have charisma,' I blurt. 'That dangerous people get crowds not because they're cartoon villains,but because they use their charisma to get people on board.' I'm happy to back myself on this matter.

'But what are people to do with that information?' she complains. 'We have to have a collective response to this. We need to build a movement!'

I find out that the young man in the armchair has been seething about me - or at least something I wrote - long before JWA were trying to sign up Ice Berg Safran. He was not a fan of my article about the Brisbane Golden Dawn rally. He reflects on my story with a snort. He felt it was a smart-arsed effort to equate far-right violence with left-wing violence, when the two couldn't be more different. He says far-right violence is a form of 'structural violence' (that is, part of State, corporate and systemic violence), and left-wing violence isn't. And furthermore, my 'comedic' story contributedto to this 'structural violence' by equating the two.

So the men who bashed the elderly Greek guy after the rally didn't engage in anything problematic, but the comedian on the scene who wrote about it did. In fact the comedian was the violent one.

The Sufi held a similar view in regard to the Charlie Hebdo attack. The psychopaths - the ones who should really take a good hard look at themselves and their actions - were the dead guys holding the pencils.

It occurs to me that Shermon quit the UPF in response to a piss-take. So for all three points of the triangle - the far right, the far left and radical Islam - piss-taking is a threat that needs to be kept at bay. People might start listening to the jokes.

Another thing occurs to me: What's wrong with interrogating violence, even if it's 'non-structural'?

I tell them I'm just interested in different things to them. 'I like looking at tangles,' I say.

'Like what?' the woman demands.

I remember the 'Talmudic son of a bitch' message from last night. 'Like that sometimes Muslims, who suffer Islamophobia, are anti-Semitic.'

Snort. Sneer. Like the Sufi, she argues there are power dynamics in play. There's not meaningful anti-Semitism these days, she advises, in the way there's meaningful Islamophobia. I tell her about the recent bashing of a local Jew by two men screaming in Arabic, and that the Jewish community centre in my neighbourhood is getting a $1.3 million 'blast-proofing' security wall after a terrorist plot to blow it up.

Just as Santa has his Naughty and Nice list, Mrs Sneer and Mr Snort have their Structural Violence and Non-Structural Violence list. Alas for the bashed Jew and the community centre employees, they've only made it to the Non-Structural Violence list. That's the side of the ledger where the violence isn't worth interrogating.

The woman pushes a pamphlet at me. It's advertising the counter-protest to the Reclaim rally. It calls for people to show up at the steps of Parliament House. 'Are you going to promote us?'

I, of course, know something she doesn't: that the UPF won't be at the steps. They'll be an hour's drive away in Melton.

'How do you know they're going to be there?' I dangle. (I might as well tell her.)

'Reclaim called a rally,' she hisses.

'Are you sure they're going to be there?'

She groans. 'So what part are you going to play?' and rolls her eyes.

'I'm in the UPF rap band,' I squeak. 'You'll see me up there scratching records behind Ez-Eric and Dr Fash!'

The woman huffs off.

'There are no casual observers,' the young man in the armchair tells me.

'Deep, man. Real deep,' I sulk.

I head to the little bar area. The anarchist selling the beers wears a T-shirt saying 'Hello Titties', with Hello Kitty's cat head redesigned to look like breasts.

The book is full of such uncomfortable exceptions from the broad pigeonholes we all love to indulge in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For those that haven't read it, here's Safran's piece on the Brisbane Golden Dawn Rally from 2014 that was mentioned above.

• Locked thread