Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Why do people love Eskin, honestly. He's ridiculously conceited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

Why do people love Eskin, honestly. He's ridiculously conceited.

I don't think anyone likes Eskin. I think some people love to hate Eskin.

Eskin was a local Steven A. Smith or Skip Bayless before anyone ever heard of those guys but who wasn't photogenic enough to go national, a pretty low bar for professional sports assholes.

(edit: yes I know SAS was a local guy before he went national)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I am now sitting here laughing at myself because I've probably only seen or heard Howard Eskin a couple times in the last 10-15 years because I don't listen to sports radio or watch whatever local news he's on and yet I find I have very strong feelings about him and he makes me so angry! :argh:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I forgot all about hating Eskin when I started loathing Josh Innes.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 5, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I don't listen to WIP too much anymore but whenever I hear Eskin on there he spends the entire time bitching about Mayor Kenney and the soda tax. It is insane.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

To be fair, the soda tax is idiotic regressive bullshit.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I pay plenty of tax on alcohol and smokes. The fatties can pay a few cents extra for their sody pop.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think anyone likes Eskin. I think some people love to hate Eskin.

Eskin was a local Steven A. Smith or Skip Bayless before anyone ever heard of those guys but who wasn't photogenic enough to go national, a pretty low bar for professional sports assholes.

(edit: yes I know SAS was a local guy before he went national)

Eskin wasn't a local Screamin A or Skip, he was one of the first professioanl sports rear end in a top hat. Him and Francesca and their stations really changed the landscape for sports talk

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

FuriousxGeorge posted:

My only beef is that it doesn't tax diet soda or "pure" fruit juices. The people around me are crushing liter sized bottles of soda or feeding their babies arctic splash on the regular. It's bad. They're not going to change though. In theory the tax is for parks and pre-k too, so I'm down with it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

NotWearingPants posted:

I pay plenty of tax on alcohol and smokes. The fatties can pay a few cents extra for their sody pop.

Taxes are bad in general unless well thought out.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, taxes are bad. As someone who hates roads, schools, social programs, and the betterment of gently caress the Cowboys

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah, taxes are bad. As someone who hates roads, schools, social programs, and the betterment of gently caress the Cowboys

He's right. Consumption taxes, which I am parsing his "not well thought out taxes" are regressive and disproportionally affect the lower class.

Taxes on capital, heavily progressive income tax, etc are good

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Oh god please shut up about taxes and just talk about how hosed the Cowboys are going to be when Zeke is banished from the league for weed and or beating a woman up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Oh god please shut up about taxes and just talk about how hosed the Cowboys are going to be when Zeke is banished from the league for weed and or beating a woman up.

I think he is more likely win the mvp than whatever silly eagles fan fiction story you come up with.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sickening posted:

I think he is more likely win the mvp than whatever silly eagles fan fiction story you come up with.

IDK man, based on Zeke's texts from last year he was trying harder to pass a piss test than he was trying to win the MVP.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

IDK man, based on Zeke's texts from last year he was trying harder to pass a piss test than he was trying to win the MVP.

so what you're saying is that last year he put up those kind of numbers without trying very hard?

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

so what you're saying is that last year he put up those kind of numbers without trying very hard?

he could've gotten over 3,000 yards rushing if he wasn't so lazy

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Zeke is very talented.

He was also very committed to passing that piss test (by the sound of it).

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Any Dallas fans want to give us a Jaylon Smith update? I am seeing conflicting reports on whether or not his nerves are regenerating.

Is it just accepted now that he will need to wear a brace that counteracts his drop foot? Is there any question about the legality of a brace like this? Are we just going to start augmenting NFL players with robotics now?

I don't know if this is the same injury or not, but it sounds a lot like the issue ex-Eagles safety JR Reed had. He got tryouts with multiple teams after the injury, including a one game stint with the Eagles, but he never made it back. Of course medical technology may have improved in the last ten years and JR Reed, while good, was never the elite player that Jaylon Smith is supposed to be.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Having spoken to my sources in the Cowboys organization, I can confirm that Smith's leg has been replaced with a fully robotic one and he'll play for the next 30 years at a HoF level

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Having spoken to my sources in the Cowboys organization, I can confirm that Smith's leg has been replaced with a fully robotic one and he'll play for the next 30 years at a HoF level

Was it amputated, or did it just fall off during workouts?

(because if it did just fall off, please note that I called that)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
With JPP's fingers and Jayon Smith's leg we are on our way to creating the first NFL Frankenback.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

NotWearingPants posted:

Any Dallas fans want to give us a Jaylon Smith update? I am seeing conflicting reports on whether or not his nerves are regenerating.

Is it just accepted now that he will need to wear a brace that counteracts his drop foot? Is there any question about the legality of a brace like this? Are we just going to start augmenting NFL players with robotics now?

I don't know if this is the same injury or not, but it sounds a lot like the issue ex-Eagles safety JR Reed had. He got tryouts with multiple teams after the injury, including a one game stint with the Eagles, but he never made it back. Of course medical technology may have improved in the last ten years and JR Reed, while good, was never the elite player that Jaylon Smith is supposed to be.

Stephen Jones had a Q&A with season ticket holders yesterday and claimed that he was looking back to form, but would have to wear a brace.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Man, I'm still annoyed that the Vikings sniped Dalvin Cook from the Eagles in the 2nd round. Word is, Philly was gonna draft Cook.

Even though, I know Sidney Jones will be better for the long term shape of the Eagles....but damnit I wanted Cook with Jeffrey & Smith added to the Eagles offense. Talk about a 1 year turnover on offense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eagles fans are unhealthily obsessed with running backs. It's like wanting to take a power forward who can't shoot in the first round .

Basketball analogy sorry

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Jaylon Smith can wiggle his toes

He's going to destroy the NFC East for many years to come

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Eagles fans are unhealthily obsessed with running backs. It's like wanting to take a power forward who can't shoot in the first round .

Basketball analogy sorry

Like Cook I get, but like all the people that are "WE NEED A BIG BRUISER" really make me scratch my head

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

OJ Howard is Antonio Gates

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

OJ Howard is Antonio Gates

I really thought that he was going to be the Eagles pick when he was still on the board. He seems like one of those guys a lot of teams will regret passing on.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The Eagles have three tight ends they like on the roster already. Howard was never going to be the pick.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Eagles have three tight ends they like on the roster already. Howard was never going to be the pick.

That's likely why he wasn't picked, but I don't have to agree with it. Celek is halfway to retirement. I like Ertz and Burton, but they aren't great. You put a rookie Antonio Gates on this roster and you would barely remember their names in a few years.

Also, Ertz would be tradeable imo. His contract isn't that bad.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 6, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Or, alternate universe, we rolled out

QB: Wentz
RB: Dalvin Cook
RB: Darren Sproles
WR: Alshon Jeffrey
WR: Torrey Smith
WR: Jordan Matthews
TE: OJ Howard
TE: Zach Ertz

#WeaponsForWentz

Would have been 2 picks away from being able to happen in real life.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We got hardcore spoiled by having Shady is what happened.

What we don't want to accept is that most running backs are a dime a dozen and are only good for up to 3 really good years most of the time, if even that. Because of the punishment they take. The Patriots fans aren't ever sitting around giving a poo poo who the running back is. For every LeVeon Bell, there's 20 CJ Spillers, CJ Andersons, Peyton Hillis, etc etc. One year wonders.

But maaaan, it would be cool to win the lottery on another premium running back.

89 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 6, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

But maaaan, it would be cool to win the lottery on another premium running back.

Well we did just draft the all time college rushing leader. We have the lottery ticket in our hands, we just have to wait a few months to see if it's a winner. I know he's an inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter than McCoy was as a rookie, but 6406 is a lot of loving yards and 6 yards a carry is impressive (McCoy averaged 4.8 in college). So I advise you to smoke a bowl, watch Donnell Pumphrey highlights, and dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWSNxIH5j4

The acceleration!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I also recommend this game vs. Cal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6HoGQVn_I

The vision!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NotWearingPants posted:

Well we did just draft the all time college rushing leader. We have the lottery ticket in our hands, we just have to wait a few months to see if it's a winner. I know he's an inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter than McCoy was as a rookie, but 6406 is a lot of loving yards and 6 yards a carry is impressive (McCoy averaged 4.8 in college). So I advise you to smoke a bowl, watch Donnell Pumphrey highlights, and dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWSNxIH5j4

The acceleration!

I watched this and all I'm seeing is a bunch of defensive players who won't even make a practice squad.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I watched this and all I'm seeing is a bunch of defensive players who won't even make a practice squad.

Good observation. Was it your first time viewing college football?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Was his college division just that terrible? I trying to wrap my brain around how such a little dude could outperform everyone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Was his college division just that terrible? I trying to wrap my brain around how such a little dude could outperform everyone.

Breaking tackles is overrated. Avoiding tacklers is much more effective. When you think back to Shady's best runs, he wasn't running over people, he was making them miss and running round them.

The Eagles don't have the luxury of Dallas' offensive line opening enormous holes. We need a skinnier RB who can slip through smaller holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

Breaking tackles is overrated. Avoiding tacklers is much more effective. When you think back to Shady's best runs, he wasn't running over people, he was making them miss and running round them.

The Eagles don't have the luxury of Dallas' offensive line opening enormous holes. We need a skinnier RB who can slip through smaller holes.

Nobody has that luxury except Dallas.

The Eagles o-line is really good.

• Locked thread