Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

You can have great digital effects as long as it's firmly rooted in reality in some way. Doesn't matter if it's compositing over practical effects or entirely CG with practical references. The biggest trap directors fall in with digital effects is lack of restraint because everything can be dialed up to whatever they want so you lose the forest for the trees.

It's the same for camera work as it is for effects. They've moved a bit away from it now, but back in the golden age of Pixar animated movies, they would reject any boards that had camera moves that couldn't be accomplished in real life with real cameras and sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think I remember in the bonus features for Aliens on the quadrilogy, someone said, "James Cameron could film the fall of Rome with 5 guys and a bush". Maybe that's what made Aliens so good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

That quote is so great. Fincher is definitely aware of the typical kind of person who claims Fight Club as their favorite movie. Just another movie in a long line of them that have become very popular as a result of so many people missing the point.

I agree with you but I'm wondering what other films you'd throw into this category. I can think of several. Robocop and Starship Troopers right off the top off of my head.

CelticPredator posted:

What if Max loved Fight Club because of what the film had to say? I don't love Fight Club that much. it's alright.

But Alien 3 is better.

It's OK to admit they both suck.

Basebf555 posted:

If its on the same level as the Planet of the Apes films, it could be great though.

Which ones?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2017

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Agreed Benjamin Button was bad, but it would have been all worth it if he turned into an adult-sized baby at the end. He was born as a tiny old person, after all. What gives, Fincher?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree with you but I'm wondering what other films you'd throw into this category. I can think of several. Robocop and Starship Troopers right off the top off of my head.

It's OK to admit they both suck.

Which ones?

Alien 3 is actually really great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

I've been reading cined so long on honestly can't react to this.

Out of confusion

hahaha. i guess my stance is that generally i think the creator's opinion is as subjective as anybody elses and often ends up being more tainted by the process, rather than reflective of the end result. so to me, fincher's opinion on whether the film is bad or good is interesting, but doesn't really affect my own enjoyment of it.

also, in my own stupid opinion, i think "the guy who made it doesn't like it" ranks pretty far down on the list on things that impact whether i like a film or not. but then, i am a fan of alien 3 and american history x, and a routine bad forum poster, so whatever!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yeah, of course David Fincher hates Alien 3, he had a really lovely time making it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's my least favorite of the good ones but it's still very good.

One word: K-Stew.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I will say being the direct sequel to one of the greatest movies ever made did not help aliens 3.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It looked bad in the shot they deemed worthy of including in the trailer so my expectations of the xeno could not be lower.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It looks good, to me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

"Wah-wah, the unfinished effects from the trailer look bad." - Every CineD pre-release thread ever.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the back exploding stuff in the trailers looks cool and very physical and cgi looks rad as when you are baked like a potato

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Scarface and Wallstreet are two more that come to mind.

BiggerBoat posted:

Which ones?

The newer ones, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I think the CG created apes in those movies are a lot better than whatever we would have had if they'd gone the practical route.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

"Wah-wah, the unfinished effects from the trailer look bad." - Every CineD pre-release thread ever.

FWIW I think the alien in the trailer looks fine, but I never got this defense of trailer CGI. Sure, I understand a movie isn't entirely finished when the first trailer drops, but wouldn't it feature scenes that are done and the stuff still being worked on isn't shown?

Like if a trailer gets panned for bad effects obviously they can say it's unfinished and go back to do touch ups, but I can't think the industry standard is to not present a film in its best light.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Movie CGI gets worked on and touched up practically until release day, the CGI you see in movie trailers is literally unfinished and will very likely be refined as the movie nears release. You can even see jumps in CGI quality from one trailer release to the next over the course of a movie's marketing campaign.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That's so odd to me. Why wouldn't they expedite work on scenes featured in the trailers?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dinosaurs! posted:

That's so odd to me. Why wouldn't they expedite work on scenes featured in the trailers?

It's because the whole industry is hosed. They have barely enough people and man hours to get the job done by the release date most of the time, under those circumstances there's no such thing as "expediting" certain scenes. They also don't necessarily know which scenes are going to be chosen for the trailer until its too late.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Dinosaurs! posted:

Read the post-production thread in this here sub to get an idea of how that works.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I remember seeing interesting breakdowns of the CGI as shown in trailers for movies like The Avengers and the Transformers movies, where you'd see noticeable increases in detail and fidelity, lighting effects, smoke, textures, etc from one trailer to the next.

So yeah, judging modern movie CGI based on trailers is dumb, the movie WILL look different at release (note: "different" may not necessarily mean "better").

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I guess I'm a dumbass for not figuring employees are worked to the bone on threadbare budgets just like everywhere else.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wish I could find the image, but someone's posted a comparison of Pirates of Caribbean before of a skeleton hand in the trailers over time where it goes from being a tiny bonehand to decked out in rings larger skeleton hand.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I feel like I'm the only one who loved Alien 3 in its original form.

Alien was amazing.

Aliens was not that great unless you love Die Hard and action movies. It was everything that I was glad WAS NOT Alien. Cocky marines, giant guns, massive monster horde.

Alien 3 returned to the original Alien with the haunted house vibe and people having their own motivations instead of just "yeah kill the poo poo out of everything."

I STILL haven't seen the Assembly Cut, partially because I keep forgetting to track it down, and partially because I really really liked the original.

So there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Aliens was not that great unless you love Die Hard and action movies. It was everything that I was glad WAS NOT Alien. Cocky marines, giant guns, massive monster horde.

It's always fun when something wooshes right over someone's head.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

It's always fun when something wooshes right over someone's head.
Oh totally.

SO - you're hinting that all that stuff was a spoof on actual action, or something? Whatever it was, it wasn't the freaky rear end small group not knowing what they're dealing with quietly panic kind of scenario.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Oh totally.

SO - you're hinting that all that stuff was a spoof on actual action, or something? Whatever it was, it wasn't the freaky rear end small group not knowing what they're dealing with quietly panic kind of scenario.

The entire point of Aliens is that the arrogant marines go into a scenario expecting to be the badass action heroes are instead are mercilessly and brutally slaughtered, with their weaponry being literally worse than useless. Their cockiness and giant guns work entirely against them and they are torn apart or captured leaving the survivors injured, helpless and trapped alone in hostile territory.

It isn't space truckers being caused off guard by an alien, it's literal marines walking into their own personal space vietnam. It's not horror in the same sense as Alien is but neither is Alien 3. (And in fact Alien 3's horror is entirely built off Ripley knowing exactly what is happening and eventually the sheer inevitability of the thing inside of her.) Acting like it's a hoo-ra action movie where they effortlessly gun down aliens because they're so cool missing literally everything that happens in Aliens, probably in favor of the video games where that is what happens.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 5, 2017

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

The entire point of Aliens is that the arrogant marines go into a scenario expecting to be the badass action heroes are instead are mercilessly and brutally slaughtered, with their weaponry being literally worse than useless. Their cockiness and giant guns work entirely against them and they are torn apart or captured leaving the survivors injured, helpless and trapped alone in hostile territory.

It isn't space truckers being caused off guard by an alien, it's literal marines walking into their own personal space vietnam. It's not horror in the same sense as Alien is but neither is Alien 3. (And in fact Alien 3's horror is entirely built off Ripley knowing exactly what is happening and eventually the sheer inevitability of the thing inside of her.) Acting like it's a hoo-ra action movie where they effortlessly gun down aliens because they're so cool missing literally everything that happens in Aliens, probably in favor of the video games where that is what happens.
No, I get it - I get all that. It's just a departure from the first Alien. It's a great statement, great movie. I loved the first one, and the second one just goes in a completely different direction is all, regardless of the intent or point or anything else.

Regardless, it's all moot, I'll drop it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

No, I get it - I get all that. It's just a departure from the first Alien. It's a great statement, great movie. I loved the first one, and the second one just goes in a completely different direction is all, regardless of the intent or point or anything else.

Regardless, it's all moot, I'll drop it.

Your point is correct, Aliens is basically Cameron just taking the titular monster and creating an entirely knew narrative around it with completely different themes. Because of that most people are going to have a clear favorite, either Alien or Aliens. They're very different films.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

So good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkxCzBszOQ

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Does anyone have a good gif of David giving Shaw a thumbs up after he rescues her from the storm? Google image search isn't yielding anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Die Hard, a film renowned for being loved only by a few.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Die Hard, a film renowned for being loved only by a few.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Jeez you got a big pussy. Jeez you got a big pussy

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I'm gonna go get the papers get the papers.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Game over man, game over.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LJSuO4aXA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Opening weekend with even more anticipation than before.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 6, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not a film clip. It's another short by Luke Scott.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I wonder if you could be like "mother, if the monster that's on board wanders into a room with only one way out, lock it in" or if it'd be like trying to explain your plan to Siri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenterhooks posted:

I wonder if you could be like "mother, if the monster that's on board wanders into a room with only one way out, lock it in" or if it'd be like trying to explain your plan to Siri.

"Okay, now playing The Room directed by Tommy Wiseau"