Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

You just back up the three way split/merge in each lane further away from the junction. If you go far enough, it ends up like a diamond with a cross in it rather than a cross and a diamond in the same small space.

E: https://m.imgur.com/n4qCFY7 Like this. Their spacing is a bit wider between directions, but this should give you the right idea.

Lifesaver, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can someone repost goon island so I can bookmark it?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Does anyone have a decent blueprint of a belt/underground belt/splitter factory all the way up to express?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Firos posted:

Does anyone have a decent blueprint of a belt/underground belt/splitter factory all the way up to express?

https://factorioprints.com/view/-KYpTULTDIvDOsJfgjeS

caveat, requires logistic bots to work.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I can't see any logistics boxes there? :confused:

Edit: Oh wait yes I can :downs:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Loopoo posted:

caveat, requires logistic bots to work.

It'll work just fine, if you don't have logi boxes just replace them with normal ones. Those boxes are there for dumping old belts for recycling and automatically providing belts for player with logistics bots.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Operation square concrete goon island is under way

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I made a thing for blue science. It is very bad :eng99:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jack the Lad posted:

I made a thing for blue science. It is very bad :eng99:

This is so bad that one of your assemblers decided not to make blue science!

E: like a wad of angelhair

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

vOv posted:

Can someone repost goon island so I can bookmark it?

https://pastebin.com/7CHG3CfB

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
goon island is amazing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baloogan posted:

goon island is amazing.

to really complete the effect it should allow you to scatter garbage all over

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do you guys reccomend goon island as a first serious map? I've hosed around but never actually put time into this game, i wanna get a crazy factory going and the goon island looks neat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

and camp

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Here I was hoping that nuclear power would turn off coal power the way solar does, but it just runs at 50% capacity (while still using 100% of the nuclear fuel) and half my coal plant is still running. Do I need to design some fancy switch to turn the regular boilers on and off or is something broken?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a mod for turbine priority:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Kenira/TurbinePriority

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

You can also design a pretty low tech switch. Route all your coal steam engines through a power switch. Put an accumulator on the nuclear/factory side. Have the power switch activate if the accumulator is below a threshold (say 50). The coal plant will throttle back quickly when disconnected, and throttle up quickly when connected.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It does!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I told an assembling machine to stop making a nuclear reactor :doh:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Added a early expandable oil refinery setup to the goon factorio blueprint document, for those who struggle with oil.

Again, if someone have input on improvements, please tell me.

From the document:

Oil refinery that you can expand easily with more of everything. Prepared for advanced oil processing and cracking, just need to change the refineries and pick recipes for the chemical plants. Hook up water to the top row of pipes, top left corner in the blueprint or elsewhere on that pipe. Oil goes into the tanks at the bottom left, marked with Oil. Coal goes into the belt that goes along the top, change it as needed. Add more tanks to the top if anything fills up, or add more cracking.

http://imgur.com/BV3ISHo

https://pastebin.com/tmmjM7Fk

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

do you guys reccomend goon island as a first serious map? I've hosed around but never actually put time into this game, i wanna get a crazy factory going and the goon island looks neat.

its fantastic, massive amounts of resources, definitely enough to make a landbridge to the mainland 10x times over. no biters, its 'enough' space

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's great, I play in zero aliens mode because I don't want to bother with biters in the early to mid game but not having them around in the late game makes it kind of boring. Goon island is ideal because you can decide exactly when you strike out and you have a natural choke to protect the heart of your factory.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 5, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If Stick Insect is still around in the thread, it might be time to update the OP for 0.15

And add a link to the Goon Island map string.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

0.15.07 news posted:

Balancing

Changed production science pack recipe to require assembling machine 1 instead of pumpjack.
Changed science pack 3 to require electric mining drill instead of assembling machine 1.
Changed crafting times: Oil refinery 20->10 Pumpjack 10->5 Chemical plant 10->5 Lab 5->3 Roboport 15->10
Reduced the mining time of the storage tank from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds.
Increased the mining time of the reactor from 0.5 seconds to 1.5 seconds.
Increased the underground belt length (basic, fast, express) from 5,5,5 to 5,7,9.

Guess that's why they call it the experimental branch, huh.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That's tempting me to just start over a new factory now, drat.

Red underground belts at 7 distance is cool and good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TBH that assembling machine was taking iron requirements for science pack 3 through the roof. Not that mining drill is vastly better...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The jump from green to blue and blue to purple science was still a little steep so this smooths the curve out somewhat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I definitely like the idea of those changes, need to see how they'll play out now.

I of course now need to restart after spending 3 hours calculating and designing my factory last night :argh:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This makes me happy, kinda. My current save is hosed in a perpetual purgatory of me biting off more than I could chew, so it'd take me at least 5 hours to set things up properly before it even starts working.

Gonna restart and hopefully pick a better save and not have it be so awful.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm gonna need a bigger bus. Digging the underground belt changes.

I mean I'm sure it's something I could of got a mod for in the past... just chose not to. Always amuses me that I've come up with some kind of arbitrary internal list of what mods are allowed and which are "cheating".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

Inserters will no longer take fuel from locomotives and instead will take the burnt result items if the locomotive fuel uses that system.

Fixed that it was hard/not possible to select the character corpse over some entities. (45764)

Added LuaEntity::temperature read/write - the temperature of entities that use the heat energy source type as well as reactors and heat pipes.
Added LuaEntity::get_burnt_result_inventory.
All my christmases have come at once :allears:

Now to get back to work on my reactor circuit interface mod.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Of course those tech changes come after I got all the non-space tech research. :argh:

Although blue tech requiring an electric driller now is actually worse since they take longer to build and require 1 more iron plate than a gray assembler.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

You can also design a pretty low tech switch. Route all your coal steam engines through a power switch. Put an accumulator on the nuclear/factory side. Have the power switch activate if the accumulator is below a threshold (say 50). The coal plant will throttle back quickly when disconnected, and throttle up quickly when connected.

Do boilers automatically scale back consumption of coal and pollution produced if the engines aren't running? (= not consuming steam)

scamtank posted:

Guess that's why they call it the experimental branch, huh.

Wow, I can't remember them ever adjusting tunnels before.
And glad I decided to dive in and automate miners early on this time.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

RyokoTK posted:

gray assembler

You know, I hadn't thought about assemblers in color terms, but that raises an interesting question. I wonder if the devs have considered a unified color scheme for different levels of products. Belts go yellow -> red -> blue, assemblers go grey -> blue -> yellow, science packs go red -> green -> blue, etc. On one hand, having a single scale might make it easier to evaluate a factory at a glance. On the other hand, it might make factories look too dull or samey.

Unrelated, the underground belt length upgrades sound amazing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

rockopete posted:

Do boilers automatically scale back consumption of coal and pollution produced if the engines aren't running? (= not consuming steam)
They burn fuel in proportion to steam production. No production = no fuel used.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks, good to know.

Toast Museum posted:

You know, I hadn't thought about assemblers in color terms, but that raises an interesting question. I wonder if the devs have considered a unified color scheme for different levels of products. Belts go yellow -> red -> blue, assemblers go grey -> blue -> yellow, science packs go red -> green -> blue, etc. On one hand, having a single scale might make it easier to evaluate a factory at a glance. On the other hand, it might make factories look too dull or samey.

The only mildly consistent things thing I've noticed are the inserters and the belts. yellow = basic, red = faster (sort of, with the long extender), blue = fastest

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Toast Museum posted:

I'm glad that the colors aren't unified for this exact reason. Provided you have the materials there's not really any reason not to have the fastest and strongest of everything once you're in the late game, but I'm glad my entire factory isn't blue from top to bottom.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rockopete posted:

As GotLag said this is true for boilers and steam engines, but it's not the case for nuclear power, but it sounds like you're not there yet anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

Although blue tech requiring an electric driller now is actually worse since they take longer to build and require 1 more iron plate than a gray assembler.

To do 1 science a sec, you're only going to 2 assembler2s from 1 assembler1, plus a little more iron.

The pumpjack removal is a massive change, though. It (used to) take 5 assemblers for the pumpjack, plus 3 for the pipe to support it, plus steel, plus the circuits. That's all down to one assembler with a iron/gear and circuits.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Whoops. Inserters are now unable to fuel vanilla locomotives.

Nuclear locomotives working perfectly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I can't get the island map string to work, from 0.15.1 to current. It always generates the same terrain on different resource settings but is definitively not island-like.

For other people who couldn't get it to work, was it like this? Platform? (MBP w/ Win8.1 in Bootcamp here).